US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #741
Refugee

Local Time: 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
You do realize that “canceling student loan debt” just changes who pays for it, right? It’s never really cancelled.

So you have a six figure income, at least partly based on the student loans you took out, but now think that taxpayers, i. e. other people, should have to pay for it.

I don’t think I should have to pay for your student loans, I’m sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
You do realize that it’s already paid for, right? Like, my loans were disbursed three years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
So, gzus, if the loans are already paid for, do you have any further objections?
I don't understand.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #742
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:30 PM
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...483504641?s=21

There’s really no point anymore. Why have laws ?

Old 03-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #743
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
I don't understand.

I borrowed some amount almost four years ago now. It was disbursed three to four years ago. I pay $1000 a month in student loans, to the US government. If the US government decided to forgive, let’s say $3000 off all student loan debt, and freeze student loan interest for 3 months, this gives me access to $3000 of cash to infuse into the system.

The catch here is that the government spent that money already on me. Years ago. The department of treasury, at the beginning of the fiscal year, allots their loan money to the department of education. They then distribute it out to the lenders (in my case, the state of Oklahoma owns my loan for some reason or another). I subsequently pay the lender, who in turn returns the funds to the department of treasury. And the cycle repeats.

The current bailout is collecting tax money to distribute to the people. It was never originally allocated, so it’s the government borrowing from the people instead.

In the case of student loans, next year’s funds haven’t been allocated. This year’s already have. Mine were allocated years ago. By forgiving some amount of loans, the government would be borrowing against itself and deferring an issue. Basically, there would be a shortage in loan money to distribute the year following. I think we can agree that that’s not a good thing, but this economy needs money injected now. We can deal with that loan money in the future (plenty of private loan money still exists). We can argue politics about that later. At this rate anyways, young people are probably cancelling their borrowing plans for fall programs anyways, especially if they’re forced to stay home due to a pandemic, or because their family is currently unable to financially support an educational endeavor.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #744
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
I don't understand.
Yeah these responses were so stupid, I just let it lie.

Those two responses speak volumes. If they’re already “paid “, then who are you paying back?

Math and Economics are hard around here, oh, and logical thought.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #745
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Those two responses speak volumes. If they’re already “paid “, then who are you paying back?

You just let it lie! Listen to your ego man! We can play a little game of math if you want.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #746
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:30 PM
US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

Quote:
oh, and logical thought.

1: “Morality matters”

2: “Oh okay, so will you vote for Trump?”

1: [silence]

—-

1: “no one wants to talk about how Obama handled swine flu”

2: “here’s some simple facts that show how much better he handled it than Trump is handling coronavirus.”

1: [silence]
Old 03-27-2020, 10:05 PM   #747
Blue Crack Addict

There are different, valid arguments for how to tackle student debt.

I am not in favour of debt forgiveness (for a number of reasons), but I am in favour if injecting significant federal funds to states to pass on to state/public universities to make their tuition free or near-to-free. Then you, as a student have a choice - free state school or take on debt if you want to go to Harvard.

I am generally a risk averse person so I would not have accumulated an enormous student debt when there were cheaper options. I understand it's not always as easy, particularly if you are looking for a specific program that isn't offered widely.

But in terms of the pandemic, I would absolutely support suspending student debt payments entirely, for a period of 3-6 months or whatever it ends up being in the end.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #748
Blue Crack Supplier

US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

Quote:

You have a superbly written, lucid explanation above from LN7.

Suggest you apply your logical thought to understanding that post.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:30 AM   #749
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Seriously, those who do nothing more than make the occasional drive by post full of multiple falsehoods and snide remarks, and who run away from engaging in any sort of thoughtful debate, are about the last people I want to hear mocking anyone else here.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #750
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Seriously, those who do nothing more than make the occasional drive by post full of multiple falsehoods and snide remarks, and who run away from engaging in any sort of thoughtful debate, are about the last people I want to hear mocking anyone else here.
It's clearly the hobby of some people here. Sad!!!!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #751
Blue Crack Distributor

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...496688129?s=19

Eliminating oversight to pwn the libs... actually to make sure nobody sees when I shove money to friends and my own business interests... but yea
Old 03-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #752
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Are we going to talk about the horrifying reality that the DNC is going to name a man accused of sexual assault as the Democratic nominee? Meanwhile, I don't see CNN or MSNBC even pretending to give a shit about this, despite a list of similar accusations extending back many years and a long history of inappropriate behavior captured on camera.

""For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you've got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she's talking about is real." Let's keep that same energy when it regards democrats.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #753
Blue Crack Distributor

Nah, we're actually not going to give that clear bullshit story the light of day
Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #754
More 5G Than Man

OK, but his opposition certainly will. This isn't going away.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #755
Blue Crack Distributor

Yea I'm not overly worried about Donald Trump trying to say someone else is a rapist
Old 03-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #756
More 5G Than Man

Unfortunately, Trump and the Democratic candidates are not held to the same standard of behavior. Bernie receives a negative mark for being supported by a coalition of obnoxious internet trolls. Meanwhile, Trump's mainstream base couldn't care less that he's beloved by openly violent white supremacists. The GOP has normalized reprehensible behavior by decades of playing dirty.

Maybe the narrative I'm fearing will never take shape, but yeah...not getting good vibes.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #757
Blue Crack Addict

Yep I said something similar on Facebook but I'm not worried. It's the equivalent of Jeffrey Dahmer taking issue with Hannibal's dietary choices.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #758
Blue Crack Distributor

Bernie's running against other Democrats, not a malignant tumor on society - and the online troll army is, ya know, true.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #759
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Yep I said something similar on Facebook but I'm not worried. It's the equivalent of Jeffrey Dahmer taking issue with Hannibal's dietary choices.
It's not even that. These accusations are only flying on Twitter because they're obviously and laughably false.

That comparison would fit Bernie's troll army vs Trump's red hat brigade if Trump tried to use it against a fictional Sanders nomination.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #760
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
It's not even that. These accusations are only flying on Twitter because they're obviously and laughably false.

That comparison would fit Bernie's troll army vs Trump's red hat brigade if Trump tried to use it against a fictional Sanders nomination.
Very true. I guess my analogy would only work in a situation where Biden was actually guilty of something.