US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #541
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
If Biden said "No company should be bailed out unless they meet the following demands:" maybe that would be something! At least Warren understands that. Biden doesn't give a shit.

FFS

Old 03-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #542
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
If Bernie tweeted the same thing, you'd be drooling all over how he's stopping the billionaires.
first of all that has absolutely nothing to do with "stopping the billionaires".

second, bernie wouldn't tweet out something as stupid and banal as "i'm asking CEOs to commit to doing something for all of one year that will make no difference anyways", so that's kind of a moot point.

as if companies committing to not doing buybacks for a year wouldn't just hoard that cash and do the buyback on day 366, or just give the entire c-suite a raise. none of that money will do anything for the mid/lower-level employees.

but maybe this time trickle-down economics will work!

Old 03-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
I wish these reporters would start defending themselves and fighting back more when he does this.
At least other reporters came to his defense, including the CNN WH reporter. Kaitlyn sp? Collins. I think she's a very good reporter who is fair to Trump, from what I've seen.

The NBC reporter asked the same question to Pence that Trump went ballistic over. Pence just answered the question. I had to turn it off, can't take it.

We have a President who goes ballistic like a fool against reporters who get in the way of him pretending and trying to create his own narrative. Even freaking Fox News is finally coming to grips with reality in terms of this virus.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #544
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
bernie wouldn't tweet out something as stupid and banal as "i'm asking CEOs to commit to doing something for all of one year they'll never actually do anyways", so that's kind of a moot point.
The next time Biden tweets something with good intentions, I'll have him pass it thru you and phillyfan126 for approval.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #545
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The next time Biden tweets something with good intentions, I'll have him pass it thru you and phillyfan126 for approval.
good intentions don't magically turn a bad idea into a good idea.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #546
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
We have a President who goes ballistic like a fool against reporters who get in the way of him pretending and trying to create his own narrative. Even freaking Fox News is finally coming to grips with reality in terms of this virus.
https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/1241044418594996225
Old 03-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #547
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I was talking about in the pandemic thread. Deep state department, what a freakshow. And Pompeo laughed at that. Way to support your colleagues Mike!

Also Sean Spicer was there in the press corps lol
Old 03-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #548
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

Captain Bone Spurs McCranky Pants sounds like he may need a nap.

Now Cult45 and those that pretend they don’t worship the guy will cheer this on and won’t even realize he wasn’t “reporting” but actually giving Trump a chance to be leader and comfort the people, but the rest see a manchild who they wouldn’t even want to see run an ice cream truck.

I say you sleep deprive Joe and Don 24 hrs leading into the first debate, that would be one of the most entertaining debates in history.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #549
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:44 PM
I'm just glad having hours long coverage of the "task force" and Trump blathering on about how great he is, really seems to be helping.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #550
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
good intentions don't magically turn a bad idea into a good idea.
I think you guys are being overboard with your criticism, personally. Seems like nitpicking.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #551
Blue Crack Distributor

Airlines used a lot of bailout and tax cut money on stock buybacks. It's why they don't have any cash reserves. It's been a major talking point in relation to our current situation regarding bailouts.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #552
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think you guys are being overboard with your criticism, personally. Seems like nitpicking.
i'm not nitpicking. the whole idea is bad and i told you why. the cash won't be used to help the workers unless these companies are mandated to do so. a polite request that they rein in their greed just a little bit for 365 days is not going to accomplish anything for the people who are about to lose their jobs while their employer gets a massive bailout.

if these corporations are legally bound to stop buybacks permanently (or only allowed to do it in certain restrictive circumstances) and required to reinvest in their workforce instead as a condition of receiving bailout money, then it might actually accomplish something. an entirely voluntary one-year pinky-swear is a joke.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #553
Blue Crack Addict

They should make a pandemic and national emergency act that permits the federal government to require that companies that are profitable during this time period to take care of society imo.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #554
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
i'm not nitpicking. the whole idea is bad and i told you why. the cash won't be used to help the workers unless these companies are mandated to do so. a polite request that they rein in their greed just a little bit for 365 days is not going to accomplish anything for the people who are about to lose their jobs while their employer gets a massive bailout.

if these corporations are legally bound to stop buybacks permanently (or only allowed to do it in certain restrictive circumstances) and required to reinvest in their workforce instead as a condition of receiving bailout money, then it might actually accomplish something. an entirely voluntary one-year pinky-swear is a joke.
Yea... and Biden has zero power to mandate that. All he can do is get them to make public pronouncements. Yes, they have no teeth. But it's not nothing.

Only the president and Congress can actually mandate it.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #555
War Child

I'm not nitpicking. Biden isn't going to magically become a different person. Sanders isn't going to "push him" left. He's a centrist at best, and has been his entire career. His policies will be similar to what Obama did in 2009, which is to say, extremely friendly to big business and largely ignoring the working class.

This isn't me speculating on what he's going to do. It's taking his entire career into consideration and seeing what he did. This isn't projection or my "preconceived notions." It's Biden's own!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #556
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Yea... and Biden has zero power to mandate that. All he can do is get them to make public pronouncements. Yes, they have no teeth. But it's not nothing.

Only the president and Congress can actually mandate it.
as it is, it actually is nothing.

if he followed that up with his own pledge to get that written into law or pass an executive order to that effect if/when he becomes president, then it might be something.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #557
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
as it is, it actually is nothing.

if he followed that up with his own pledge to get that written into law or pass an executive order to that effect if/when he becomes president, then it might be something.
He wouldn't be president for 9 months. A pledge to have something written in to law in 9 months that is happening right now would be stupid as hell.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #558
Blue Crack Addict

share buybacks and failing companies demanding government bailouts are still going to be a thing next year.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #559
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
The NBC reporter asked the same question to Pence that Trump went ballistic over. Pence just answered the question. I had to turn it off, can't take it.
As bad as Pence is, at least he displays some modicum of decorum and respectfulness when he's at the podium (aside from when he's tossing Trump's salad).
Old 03-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #560
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
share buybacks and failing companies demanding government bailouts are still going to be a thing next year.
Great. It's also a thing right now.