US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can email you or something.

Ok but in all seriousness times are hard, but you do realize you’re part of this place right? I don’t want you to go away. Personally, I think we need you here. We need everyone who contributes (maybe not gzus, since his contributions are really just like roping bricks to your feet and jumping in a deep lake).

It’s going to be a long gazillion months of this shit, so maybe we fight a little bit, disagree, etc etc, but this is a really good outlet. I’m also one who thinks that varying your tasks whilst bound to your home is critical to getting by. Don’t go ❤️

C'mon headache, stay. You're a serious and funny part of this thread+s). :up:

Headache is obviously normally flexing some muscle around here on the regular, but maybe just have some patience in times like these? You know he’s going through a lot because everyone is going through a lot.

I understand, but it's hard to let posts like those fly simply because the Correct Type of Democrat is the subject. And it's not as if his personal politics have changed as a result of the pandemic.

I borrowed some amount almost four years ago now. It was disbursed three to four years ago. I pay $1000 a month in student loans, to the US government. If the US government decided to forgive, let’s say $3000 off all student loan debt, and freeze student loan interest for 3 months, this gives me access to $3000 of cash to infuse into the system.

The catch here is that the government spent that money already on me. Years ago. The department of treasury, at the beginning of the fiscal year, allots their loan money to the department of education. They then distribute it out to the lenders (in my case, the state of Oklahoma owns my loan for some reason or another). I subsequently pay the lender, who in turn returns the funds to the department of treasury. And the cycle repeats.

The current bailout is collecting tax money to distribute to the people. It was never originally allocated, so it’s the government borrowing from the people instead.

In the case of student loans, next year’s funds haven’t been allocated. This year’s already have. Mine were allocated years ago. By forgiving some amount of loans, the government would be borrowing against itself and deferring an issue. Basically, there would be a shortage in loan money to distribute the year following. I think we can agree that that’s not a good thing, but this economy needs money injected now. We can deal with that loan money in the future (plenty of private loan money still exists). We can argue politics about that later. At this rate anyways, young people are probably cancelling their borrowing plans for fall programs anyways, especially if they’re forced to stay home due to a pandemic, or because their family is currently unable to financially support an educational endeavor.

Once again I didn’t respond because this is nothing but double talk around the fact that whether they defer what you owe to next year, next decade, whatever, if you’re loans are “waived, forgiven”, etc. the money owed doesn’t just magically disappear. It’s a can kicked down the road, which apparently is fine for you since you wouldn’t have to pay it. But since your loans are your personal responsibility, I don’t want me if my kids to have to pay it. You pay it.

Here’s a better way to give people more money to spend , cut out useless, bloated institutions like the Department of Education which is the main reason why school tuition is as high as it is , because they give out loans to anyone for almost any amount, and lower everyone’s taxes. Then LN7, maybe it will be easier for you to pay your bills.

Once again I didn’t respond because this is nothing but double talk around the fact that whether they defer what you owe to next year, next decade, whatever, if you’re loans are “waived, forgiven”, etc. the money owed doesn’t just magically disappear. It’s a can kicked down the road, which apparently is fine for you since you wouldn’t have to pay it. But since your loans are your personal responsibility, I don’t want me if my kids to have to pay it. You pay it.

Here’s a better way to give people more money to spend , cut out useless, bloated institutions like the Department of Education which is the main reason why school tuition is as high as it is , because they give out loans to anyone for almost any amount, and lower everyone’s taxes. Then LN7, maybe it will be easier for you to pay your bills.

That’s rich hearing you don’t want your kids to pay for it... would be nice if that statement applied to every other tax deferral we are all eligible for, or long term effects of climate change etc., but I digress.

Anyways, you don’t seem to understand the national budget, friend. Who do you think is paying for this bailout? The people. You. You’re paying for it. So am I. I’m not getting a dime, are you? Genuine question, are you? I want to know. Because I sure as fuck don’t want to pay for your bailout.

Anyways. Back to understanding the budget. The money for student lending is and has already been... appropriated. I don’t agree that the DoEd is “bloated” per say, but I would agree to the notion that it shouldn’t be a lender. The government shouldn’t be competing with industry. The government lending (typically at the same rates!) is an overreach if its function. Like Obamacare, it’s a bandaid to a broken system, but that bandaid actually still has a festering wound under it. The government offering, as you say, “giving out loans to anyone for almost any amount” is because the price of education in this country is ludicrous, because instituons simply grow grow grow rather than focus on providing cost efficient educations. Because being “not for profit” doesn’t mean a thing regarding the price point a consumer pays, and ultimately institutional growth is how these universities stay competitive.

Anyways I keep going on tangents. National budget. The money was already appropriated for the DoEd for FY20. In all likelihood that means there will be a surplus due to coronavirus and lack of desire for young adults to leave home and borrow money this year. So instead of borrowing money from the tax payers that wasn’t budgeted ($2 trillion), they’re borrowing out of a pool of already appropriated money. Want to fight to cut the DoEd’s budget for FY21? Great. We can work something out. Help me fight runaway costs in higher ed, help guide young people away from universities if they don’t need to be there, and we can take the govt lender out of the picture. Sounds like a bipartisan plan to me. But yes, utilizing already appropriated funds is a wiser decision than trying to find out how to cover $2 trillion on the spot.

PS, don’t have any issue paying my bills bud. Trying to help out my parents, who lost their business, and both of my sisters, who lost their businesses. You’re too busy with some ideological “I hate millennial rah rah rah I’m not paying for ur education rah rah rah” and in that cloud of ideological anger, you’re missing a strategic deferral of a financial crisis on our hands. Much like “flattening the curve” for the sake of public health, we should be flattening the financial borrowing our government is doing in order to save us. If you’re fiscally conservative you would agree with this, but I guess you’re not.

Well I can email you or something.

Ok but in all seriousness times are hard, but you do realize you’re part of this place right? I don’t want you to go away. Personally, I think we need you here. We need everyone who contributes (maybe not gzus, since his contributions are really just like roping bricks to your feet and jumping in a deep lake).

It’s going to be a long gazillion months of this shit, so maybe we fight a little bit, disagree, etc etc, but this is a really good outlet. I’m also one who thinks that varying your tasks whilst bound to your home is critical to getting by. Don’t go [emoji3590]
I think the big problem, and I'm guilty of this too, is that it seems like every other post is judging or attacking someone's character instead of a healthy discussion. Like LM's post and Headache's response were fine and then it all became personal as usual. I know this is the entire internet right now and again, we're all guilty of it, but it wears on you after a while. Then add the stress of not being able to leave the house...

I think it would serve all of us well to take a beat before taking something personally and/or responding to anything in anger to remember that this is a weird, stressful time for us all and maybe we're all deserving of a little extra benefit of the doubt and patience.

. But since your loans are your personal responsibility, I don’t want me if my kids to have to pay it. You pay it.

Should we all identify things that we are paying for on behalf of those in lower tax brackets than us? And then indignantly proclaim that WE don't want to pay for YOUR social benefits, whatever they may be?

Seriously, people really need to get over this, "I don't want to pay for others' ____" crap already. All our money is going into the system, at some point we're ALL going to be paying in some form or another for something that may not affect or apply to us specifically, but which could benefit somebody else. That's what happens when you live in a society.

Seriously, people really need to get over this, "I don't want to pay for others' ____" crap already. All our money is going into the system, at some point we're ALL going to be paying in some form or another for something that may not affect or apply to us specifically, but which could benefit somebody else. That's what happens when you live in a society.

What’s funny is I’m paying for his coronavirus check and he won’t acknowledge that

I like these posts for Gzusrfk

The reason Diamond & Silk can exist is the same reason Candace Owens can exist: It pays to be the lone chocolate chips in a bowl of oatmeal.

They're all playing a role, of course. It's character acting. Right wing media is journalism cosplay.

Just one year before she switched over to Turning Point USA, Candace Owns was running Degree180 -- a Trump bashing website.

They move right when they can't make money on the left.

There's no better summary of the mental gymnastics being done to dismiss the allegation against Joe Biden than Symone Sanders going back and deleting all of her tweets about Christine Blasey Ford. Absolute insanity.

I also found it very racist that Donald Trump insisted on calling Covid-19 the "Chinese Virus," but can't tell if it's racism or senility that caused Joe Biden to recently start trying to call it the "Wuhan Virus." Maybe it's the latter because he kept pronouncing it "Luhan," but something he definitely should not be doing, no?

I didn't know Biden was calling it the Wuhan virus, that's no different than calling it the Chinese virus.

I didn't vote for Biden in the primary, one major reason was his inadequate (to say the least) response to the women who said that his touching behaviors made them feel uncomfortable and worse. That was totally unacceptable to me. Tone deaf and arrogant and dismissive.

And I'll say now that I can't vote for him because of this current allegation against him. No way no how. I'm not voting for Trump obviously, but no way am I voting for a man who could have done this. Believe women is not selective based upon party. I stand by that principle and will not waiver.

Disclaimer, of course women can be perpetrators of sexual assault. But the odds of that are much lower and reported stats are much lower. At this time I sure wish I had a female nominee to vote for. Rather than a man who I now view as a hypocrite, a perpetrator, and yet another man who thought he could get away with this.

I'll write in another candidate, that's my only option. Not voting is not an option for me, never has been.

I didn't know Biden was calling it the Wuhan virus, that's no different than calling it the Chinese virus.

I didn't vote for Biden in the primary, one major reason was his inadequate (to say the least) response to the women who said that his touching behaviors made them feel uncomfortable and worse. That was totally unacceptable to me. Tone deaf and arrogant and dismissive.

And I'll say now that I can't vote for him because of this current allegation against him. No way no how. I'm not voting for Trump obviously, but no way am I voting for a man who could have done this. Believe women is not selective based upon party. I stand by that principle and will not waiver.

Disclaimer, of course women can be perpetrators of sexual assault. But the odds of that are much lower and reported stats are much lower. At this time I sure wish I had a female nominee to vote for. Rather than a man who I now view as a hypocrite, a perpetrator, and yet another man who thought he could get away with this.

I'll write in another candidate, that's my only option. Not voting is not an option for me, never has been.

I respect your opinion. But a third party or write in, is a vote for Trump. There's one difference here that people seem to be missing. There's a very obvious reason that the Joe Biden story isn't being covered in regular media. Because well, it wreaks of bullshit.

You have a Russia adoring, Putin loving, Sanders supporter come out just when Sanders is at a point where he can't win the primary unless Biden has to drop out, with a completely different story than she came out with previously. Some of her statements of who she went to or didn't go to have been proven to be false.
And most importantly, where Trump says - It's all lies, these women are disgusting liars and I will be filing lawsuits against them. Biden team, said that they believe any allegations should be taken seriously and they welcome any investigation into them.

So take from that what you will. But if you think that Trump and any anti-Biden people aren't going to try and come up with crazy shit to keep people from voting for him, then you're dreaming. You need to look and research for yourself if you think they have any real merit. And from what I see from this latest hail mary, it looks incredibly dubious.

Last edited:
I have serious concerns about the mental state of Joe Biden in November, nevermind in 4 more years. And my fear is that he'll go with a VP who is young and less experienced which makes me all the more nervous.

I'd feel way better if Elizabeth Warren, at 70, was at the helm. She's obviously the most competent of the bunch.

On a different note, Trump is obviously racist, so that's why he calls it the Chinese virus. Having said that, when this is all over, there needs to be some serious reckoning with respect to the west's relationship with China. They tried to cover this up, they lied about numbers and are continuing to lie (anyone who believes their # of infections and deaths is really naive), and although they have banned wet markets, social media has clearly shown they are still going on, with tacit approval. They also expelled western journalists. We cannot continue to have the same relationship with that government so long as they refuse to be even a mediocre global citizen.

I don’t think calling it the “Wuhan virus” is racist. Calling it the “Chinese virus” sort of is, especially because the originator of the term is blatantly using it to blame the Chinese people for it.

Viruses are called by their origination point all the time. Here in Reston, we have Ebola Reston. Darn Restonites with your Ebola.

It is a bit suspect that he’s actually using the term “Wuhan virus” though, since nobody else is, which does lead me to believe he’s doing it intentionally. Either that, or he’s lost touch.

There's a very obvious reason that the Joe Biden story isn't being covered in regular media. Because well, it wreaks of bullshit.

That's far from obvious. The more likely reason is the media is hyper-focused on covid stuff right now.

I don’t think calling it the “Wuhan virus” is racist. Calling it the “Chinese virus” sort of is, especially because the originator of the term is blatantly using it to blame the Chinese people for it.

Viruses are called by their origination point all the time. Here in Reston, we have Ebola Reston. Darn Restonites with your Ebola.

It is a bit suspect that he’s actually using the term “Wuhan virus” though, since nobody else is, which does lead me to believe he’s doing it intentionally. Either that, or he’s lost touch.

Agreed. I think that the motive of someone saying something is important here. We know why Trump is doing it. We know he crossed out Coronavirus in his notes and wrote in Chinese Virus, because that was the sort of racist, but more blame shifting game he was playing. If anyone seriously thinks Biden said Wuhan virus to be racist or blame China for it, well, being that not one of his other actions has shown that, that was his intention, then you may be just super anti-Biden and are scratching and bending anything to try and smear him. You know. just a hunch.

On a different note, Trump is obviously racist, so that's why he calls it the Chinese virus. Having said that, when this is all over, there needs to be some serious reckoning with respect to the west's relationship with China. They tried to cover this up, they lied about numbers and are continuing to lie (anyone who believes their # of infections and deaths is really naive), and although they have banned wet markets, social media has clearly shown they are still going on, with tacit approval. They also expelled western journalists. We cannot continue to have the same relationship with that government so long as they refuse to be even a mediocre global citizen.

I do completely agree with you but I don't think the West will be in any position to dictate anything. It's China that is sending aid now, it's China that will likely have an economy bouncing back quickly while the rest of the world slows and depends on goods from Asia. I've always thought we will see a significant shift in global powers but this crisis has accelerated it. There is much unknown especially in terms of virus immunity, a second wave, etc but I think this pandemic will shift world powers dramatically and I don't foresee us setting terms on relationships.

That's far from obvious. The more likely reason is the media is hyper-focused on covid stuff right now.

Well the fact that not even Fox seems to be giving it any oxygen says a lot, along with the claim itself having changed dramatically from a several months ago, the motive and timing seeming suspicious, etc... I'm all for it being looked into, and happy to see the Biden camp welcome any investigation into it.
If anything of substance comes from it, then I'm all ears. But for now, I haven't seen anything that looks very convincing.

I respect your opinion. But a third party or write in, is a vote for Trump. There's one difference here that people seem to be missing. There's a very obvious reason that the Joe Biden story isn't being covered in regular media. Because well, it wreaks of bullshit.

You have a Russia adoring, Putin loving, Sanders supporter come out just when Sanders is at a point where he can't win the primary unless Biden has to drop out, with a completely different story than she came out with previously. Some of her statements of who she went to or didn't go to have been proven to be false.
And most importantly, where Trump says - It's all lies, these women are disgusting liars and I will be filing lawsuits against them. Biden team, said that they believe any allegations should be taken seriously and they welcome any investigation into them.

So take from that what you will. But if you think that Trump and any anti-Biden people aren't going to try and come up with crazy shit to keep people from voting for him, then you're dreaming. You need to look and research for yourself if you think they have any real merit. And from what I see from this latest hail mary, it looks incredibly dubious.

Admittedly I haven't read all the details about this. Pandemic and personal issues. I believe at the time she says the assault happened she went to her brother? And a friend? When were those proven false?

The media is preoccupied with Covid 19 now. And I don't know how much outlets other than Fox and Breitbart would report about this Biden situation if the pandemic wasn't going on.

I don't want to have my vote help Trump in any way shape or form. But morally and personally this is an extremely important issue for me. And I'm not into calling this woman a liar without concrete proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom