US POLITICS XX: Stuck In a Caucus You Can't Get Out Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how many votes Amy and Pete have already gotten or will still get tomorrow.

I’m not so sold they’re all going to Biden. I can see some Pete in every which direction, and some Amy going to Liz too.
One of the major flaws in primary early voting. How many wasted votes in candidates no longer in the running are sitting out there?

Last edited:
As the center solidified around Biden, I’ve seen several progressives— like Julian Castro — saying how it’s not too late to vote for a progressive ... a progressive like Warren.

Obviously just another plot by the DNC to take down Bernie by having Warren stay in the race to split the left vote.

Everyone’s out to stop the revolution.

As the center solidified around Biden, I’ve seen several progressives— like Julian Castro — saying how it’s not too late to vote for a progressive ... a progressive like Warren.

Obviously just another plot by the DNC to take down Bernie by having Warren stay in the race to split the left vote.

Everyone’s out to stop the revolution.

You read too many twitter tabloid posts.

Hmm. I sorta read Irving's second sentence as being sarcastic, or snarky.

Looks like the establishment is aligning.

May the best team win. I truly hope that if Bernie doesn't win in the end he can quickly rally behind Biden (or is there any chance Warren makes a comeback?). I hope if Bernie wins, the DNC puts everything they have into supporting him.

Pretty decent chance of a female VP very soon, but sadly we're likely decade's away from a female president.

I don't know about decades.
If either Uncle Joe or Crazy Bernie pick a female VP and end up beating Orange Donnie then we're probably a year and a half or so from our first female President.

Hmm. I sorta read Irving's second sentence as being sarcastic, or snarky.

He’s been railing against the left a lot recently, caricaturizing the some 40-45% of democrat voters as this tin-foil-hat-wearing conspiracy-screaming band of loonies because “someone on the internet once said it.”

Irvine, your consistency with this is, in its own right, characterizable. Why not just talk about the substance of what nearly half of the electorate wants? It’s dismissive.

He’s been railing against the left a lot recently, caricaturizing the some 20-25% of democrat voters as this tin-foil-hat-wearing conspiracy-screaming band of loonies because “someone on the internet once said it.

Fixed that, so it’s all now self-explanatory.

There are segments of “the left” that do an admirable job caricaturist for themsleves there past few weeks, they need no help from me.

He’s been railing against the left a lot recently, caricaturizing the some 40-45% of democrat voters as this tin-foil-hat-wearing conspiracy-screaming band of loonies because “someone on the internet once said it.”

Irvine, your consistency with this is, in its own right, characterizable. Why not just talk about the substance of what nearly half of the electorate wants? It’s dismissive.

I don’t think he’s ever spoken that way of non-Bernie bros/voters who happen to be progressive. For example, Warren supporters.

Of course today I’m hearing she’s the establishment too so who knows.

Fixed that, so it’s all now self-explanatory.

There are segments of “the left” that do an admirable job caricaturist for themsleves there past few weeks, they need no help from me.

20-25%? Delusions, because he is consistently polling just shy of 30% right now, with some 15% hanging around with Elizabeth Warren. If you don’t think that the majority of hers would go to him, plus some confusing Bloombergers, minus some Warren back to the middle, I don’t know what to tell you.

Also ignores the fact that he literally pulled 40-45% of the voters in 2016.

Of course today I’m hearing she’s the establishment too so who knows.

This is really the heart of it. I’m sure I’m annoying. But my main point is that, as with much of the Trump base, for SOME Sanders folks, literally EVERYTHING is viewed through a conspiratorial lens of establishment vs Bernie. It’s what fucking sucks about the internet, and it’s also how disinformation works — nothing is objective, there’s always truth behind “truth,” and it’s all up for demagoguery.

Obviously it’s not LN7. But to think that this mindset hasn’t become one of the top 3-4 defining characteristics of the Sanders campaign — whether he likes it or not — is delusional.

I am admittedly bitter, but what really riles me up is that the woman who in my view is the most intelligent candidate (Mayor Pete being the only one in the same stratosphere IMO), with progressive views and policies, though also a sensible dose of pragmatism, was destroyed because she dared (!) suggest a 3-year-transition to M4A and was "dumb" enough to actually do the math and own it. So to hell with her, she's the establishment sell out with a giant ego and a liar and just won't bow out of this race like she is supposed to!

And what would be the most hilarious part of this, if it weren't so sad, is that thee absolute inflexibility of the far left to even consider anyone beyond Sanders may very well result in a Joe freaking Biden candidacy - a senile old man without a single creative or progressive idea, who still thinks that working with the current crop of Republicans is where we need to be and whose entire run would be considered a joke if we were living in any other time.

Mind boggling.

I am not so sure we can assume where anyone's supporters will go, even with the candidate endorsing someone.

Looking back at 2016 many were saying Trump was only winning with 30-35 % because the other candidates were splitting the vote. The last few primaries with most of the others out, Trump still won. A lot of Pete's supporters already decided to take a pass on Biden even though they have been told Biden is the only real option. Steyer, Pete can be considered outsiders, anyone that wants an outsider is not likely to vote for Biden.

Of course tomorrow night we may have a lot more clarity, their will also be some exit polling.

I have a question, when they go on about the costs on M4A, how are they calculating it?

I assume they are using the costs we are currently paying.

A basic blood test can costs $50 or $2000. Same test.

Colonoscopy $1200 or $8000- $9000.

I get a prescription shipped from Canada for 0.23 per tablet, about $30.00 a month. If I had insurance my co-pay might be $25.00. But the costs to about $350 a month.

People may not complain about the $25 co-pay. But the $350 paid to the drug company is disgusting for a generic tablet.

So if the U S has 11 times the population of Canada are they projecting the costs to be 11 times the cost of Canada's health care?

I am admittedly bitter, but what really riles me up is that the woman who in my view is the most intelligent candidate (Mayor Pete being the only one in the same stratosphere IMO), with progressive views and policies, though also a sensible dose of pragmatism, was destroyed because she dared (!) suggest a 3-year-transition to M4A and was "dumb" enough to actually do the math and own it. So to hell with her, she's the establishment sell out with a giant ego and a liar and just won't bow out of this race like she is supposed to!

And what would be the most hilarious part of this, if it weren't so sad, is that thee absolute inflexibility of the far left to even consider anyone beyond Sanders may very well result in a Joe freaking Biden candidacy - a senile old man without a single creative or progressive idea, who still thinks that working with the current crop of Republicans is where we need to be and whose entire run would be considered a joke if we were living in any other time.

Mind boggling.

Warren was far and away my favorite candidate as well, easily the most qualified and sensible in the race IMO. What has happened to her is a travesty for many of the reasons you note. I'm not going to blame any one candidate's support group, but rather just that the country as a whole is not yet ready to accept a female president, which is also depressing.

I also don’t understand why we’ve spent a primary arguing over policy differences in legislation that is never going to become law to begin with.

Last edited:
I also don’t understand why we’ve spent a primary arguing over policy differences in legislation that is never going to become law to begin with.

This is so very true.

A good percentage of Sanders voters may accept this and just want to shift the discussion that direction knowing it will not go completely there.

Warren was far and away my favorite candidate as well, easily the most qualified and sensible in the race IMO. What has happened to her is a travesty for many of the reasons you note. I'm not going to blame any one candidate's support group, but rather just that the country as a whole is not yet ready to accept a female president, which is also depressing.

I completely agree with you that the country as a whole is not yet ready to accept a female President (despite Hillary winning the popular vote), and for me that is beyond depressing. The double standard for behavior, personality traits, and all kinds of other traits and issues is very alive and well. Seen constantly with all the Democratic candidates this election season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom