US POLITICS XX: Stuck In a Caucus You Can't Get Out Of - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,232
Local Time: 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Warren should stay in the Senate if she doesn't become president. Massachusetts has a Republican governor. She becomes VP, or takes a cabinet position, it's handing her seat to the GOP, and we need every seat we can get.

It shouldn't be Nina Turner. I don't mind her generally, but I don't think she has the discipline to campaign as a VP candidate. Like Anitram said, she's already said some unfortunate things recently.

Thinking outside the box - what about Yang?
Sorry, but there really is no question it has to be a woman. I could possibly see Castro as a long shot since the Latino outreach could be put into overdrive.
But he needs a woman on the ticket. And I still think that a more moderate one could very well help Bernie still do ok in the suburbs
__________________

womanfish is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Warren should stay in the Senate if she doesn't become president. Massachusetts has a Republican governor. She becomes VP, or takes a cabinet position, it's handing her seat to the GOP, and we need every seat we can get.



It shouldn't be Nina Turner. I don't mind her generally, but I don't think she has the discipline to campaign as a VP candidate. Like Anitram said, she's already said some unfortunate things recently.



Thinking outside the box - what about Yang?


I disagree with the idea that Massachusetts would replace Warren’s seat with a republican. In fact, I think that’s what makes her such a good pick to pluck from the senate. Her seat is easily replaceable by someone on the left.

Every republican in Massachusetts is a RINO. The long list of republican governors (Weld, Celucci, Romney, Patrick) have (or would) oppose Donald Trump. They’re a different breed of republicans. Massachusetts is still a liberal state.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,469
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
https://news.gallup.com/poll/286280/...al-steady.aspx

49% approval. A net positive approval over disapproval.

43% of independents approve of Trump (no word on how many of those are solid independent conservatives).

63% of U.S. adults rate current economic conditions as either excellent or good. Just 9% rate them as poor.

By 61% to 33%, Americans say the economy is getting better rather than worse


But yes - a socialist who wants to burn down capitalism is going to swing the tide away form a literal caricature of the worst parts of capitalism.

Oh, and he's going to cheat. Hard.




This has to be understood. It can’t be repeated enough. This is the challenge ahead of us.

I am not confident.

I want to be wrong.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,738
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I disagree with the idea that Massachusetts would replace Warren’s seat with a republican. In fact, I think that’s what makes her such a good pick to pluck from the senate. Her seat is easily replaceable by someone on the left.

Every republican in Massachusetts is a RINO. The long list of republican governors (Weld, Celucci, Romney, Patrick) have (or would) oppose Donald Trump. They’re a different breed of republicans. Massachusetts is still a liberal state.
Fair point, but I just have a hard time trusting anyone with an R next to his/her name at this point. Sad, but that's where we are.

Also, since when is Deval Patrick a Republican?
namkcuR is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Fair point, but I just have a hard time trusting anyone with an R next to his/her name at this point. Sad, but that's where we are.



Also, since when is Deval Patrick a Republican?


I meant Baker, sorry
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,843
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I disagree with the idea that Massachusetts would replace Warren’s seat with a republican. In fact, I think that’s what makes her such a good pick to pluck from the senate. Her seat is easily replaceable by someone on the left.
Don't think too easily that her seat is replaceable by someone on the left. The Republican she replaced (Scott Brown) was elected because the Democrats had a very weak candidate who thought she would easily win the election for that seat.
That said, under Massachusetts law a special election has to be held with 150 days or so. Thus, the governor can only appoint a Republican for a little while before there is an election. So the consequences may be minimal.
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,195
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Is there a reason the House hasn’t subpoena Bolton? Or held more open hearings on staff firings ?

It’s like the democrats assume election will be business as usual.

Their failure to do their basic duties of office is a reason we are where we are
They're bad at their jobs?
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,830
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/st...771417600?s=19

The Purge of the last two weeks will ensure that the entire force of the federal government will squash all news of wrong doing by the administration.

But it's also going to be used to launch investigations and pursue right wing conspiracy theories about whomever the Democratic nominee is.


We've already lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Yep. I've been saying it for about a week now. Trump is going to be reelected for 2 reasons

1. Bernie
2. He's going to cheat again right out in the open and get away with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
And the government and courts are set up for a Trump “loss” as well.

Quotes because he will fight to stay in power. Russia helping the Sanders campaign is brilliant.

It gives the Trump government the number one excuse to call any Democratic win RIGGED or invalid.
Oh, man, i hope that this just you people on your worst days!


"Hey. Let's show a little optimism here", Han Solo

"But I will never faint, I will never faint
They laugh and they expect me to faint
But I will never faint
I refuse to lose, I refuse to fall down"
patti smith

"It ain't over, till it's over"
yogi berra



Historians often say - everything stays the same (much more than not) UNTIL it changes.

Yes, it does look very tough right now , but I'm not giving up. I will help to give that cruel, half-wit the fight of his life.

They want us to feel depressed, and defeated - so that we don't at least give it all we can to try to defeat him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Fair point, but I just have a hard time trusting anyone with an R next to his/her name at this point. Sad, but that's where we are.

Also, since when is Deval Patrick a Republican?
He seems to be a Democrat.
dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Don't think too easily that her seat is replaceable by someone on the left. The Republican she replaced (Scott Brown) was elected because the Democrats had a very weak candidate who thought she would easily win the election for that seat.

That said, under Massachusetts law a special election has to be held with 150 days or so. Thus, the governor can only appoint a Republican for a little while before there is an election. So the consequences may be minimal.


Scott Brown is a pro-choice gay loving RINO who won a snap election. He’s just like the other names I mentioned. Sure, he folded in with the Trump admin, but rest assured that he wouldn’t win his seat on that platform. Prior to Brown, Massachusetts didn’t have a red Senator since Ed Brooke in 1972 - doing some research here... first black man elected to the senate, a co-author of the Civil Rights Act.

Massachusetts is liberal. The absolute worst possible thing that could happen to a senate seat in that state is a RINO.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,195
Local Time: 03:17 PM
I highly doubt Trump will tab Warren for a cabinet post so I'm guessing she stays as senator next year.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I highly doubt Trump will tab Warren for a cabinet post so I'm guessing she stays as senator next year.


While I share your worries regarding his re-election, I do think that doing your part in this case is biting your tongue when you feel the need to express how hopeless we are.

Just remember that your lack of confidence is contagious, and while nobody really cares about what you’re saying on some old U2 web forum, it’s everyone’s responsibility to encourage others to want to vote. Fake a smile, avert disaster.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,469
Local Time: 04:17 PM
US POLITICS XX: Stuck In a Caucus You Can't Get Out Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
While I share your worries regarding his re-election, I do think that doing your part in this case is biting your tongue when you feel the need to express how hopeless we are.

Just remember that your lack of confidence is contagious, and while nobody really cares about what you’re saying on some old U2 web forum, it’s everyone’s responsibility to encourage others to want to vote. Fake a smile, avert disaster.


So ... fall in line?
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post

Massachusetts is liberal. The absolute worst possible thing that could happen to a senate seat in that state is a RINO.
That's a potentially pretty horrific outcome given the state of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's health.
anitram is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
So ... fall in line?


Call it whatever you want to call it. Bitching and moaning about your choice, whoever it is, is no better than those who did it about Clinton in 2016. It’s a referendum on Trump first and foremost. Talking about how his win is imminent is basically encouraging people not to care and to accept that as the understood outcome. Not caring = not voting.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,973
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Call it whatever you want to call it. Bitching and moaning about your choice, whoever it is, is no better than those who did it about Clinton in 2016. It’s a referendum on Trump first and foremost. Talking about how his win is imminent is basically encouraging people not to care and to accept that as the understood outcome. Not caring = not voting.
hear hear.

the defeatism in here lately is getting very tedious.

if you aren't confident in sanders' chances, do something to help improve those chances instead of just throwing your hands up.
DaveC is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,722
Local Time: 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Is there a reason the House hasn’t subpoena Bolton? Or held more open hearings on staff firings ?

It’s like the democrats assume election will be business as usual.

Their failure to do their basic duties of office is a reason we are where we are
I mean, we've seen what's happened when they've issued subpoenas thus far. Either people feel they don't have to honor them or they're intimidated into not abiding by them.

And unfortunately at this point any hearings are likely just going to be white noise to most people, given how the impeachment trial played out. This administration, and those connected to them, have already made it clear they don't have to do shit in regards to laws and demands. So I really don't know what more the Democrats could do at this point.

I'm fully with you that they should happen, but I don't think the reason the Democrats aren't doing it is because they somehow think things will just return to normal. I think a lot of them are well aware that things aren't normal. Just that it's hard to know what to do when you've got an administration that refuses to play by any of the rules, and for whatever reason, anytime you try and fight back, somehow it winds up backfiring on you.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Heck I’m not even saying you have to settle on Sanders yet. I just mean to not let apathy win. Fight Sanders all you want. Be prepared for him to be your nominee and be prepared to encourage everyone you know to vote for him... or someone else if they win. We should all be focused on making sure we and others vote. If you really want to remove Trump, that’s the best way to do it.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Anderson Cooper just did an interview with Bernie on 60 Minutes. Now he's proposing universal free child care-he says taxes on billionaires would pay for it.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #79
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,184
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Is there a reason the House hasn’t subpoena Bolton? Or held more open hearings on staff firings ?
Hearings on which firings?
Bluer White is offline  
Old 02-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #80
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,195
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
hear hear.



the defeatism in here lately is getting very tedious.



if you aren't confident in sanders' chances, do something to help improve those chances instead of just throwing your hands up.
Nominate someone else?

Convince the republicans in Congress to do their job?

Trying, bro. Trying.
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×