US POLITICS XX: Stuck In a Caucus You Can't Get Out Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Bernie somehow gets destroyed tonight and everyone says this was the point that Sanders 2020 ended and (Biden, Warren or Bloomberg) gets the nomination

2. the long knives come out, Bernie get hacks up a lot, but survives and manages to get the nomination

which is the better outcome for the party? and better for the chances of defeating Trump?

As an aside on the Bernie Bros, it’s just just in here. Some of us encounter them in other forms of social media and count them among our friends and family. There’s a tendency to personalize things in here because we all sort of “know” each other since it’s now a small group, but stuff from the outside always informs what’s posted in here.

people keep saying "sanders needs to reign them in" as if there's something simple he can do or say to just make it all stop.

i've asked this question several times now and nobody's given a specific answer: what specific actions or words do you think bernie sanders could take or say today, that would cause sociopaths on twitter to all start playing nice?

some of you know I stayed away for awhile,
I looked back at some of my postings and found some, (many) that were petty and found this forum, like all things on the internet was trending from a discussion from people with different backgrounds, life experiences, that informed their opinions, degrade too many times to just sniping and personal attacks.

whatever my participation is this time around, I will try not to write things that drag respectful discussion and disagreements down a level.

1. Bernie somehow gets destroyed tonight and everyone says this was the point that Sanders 2020 ended and (Biden, Warren or Bloomberg) gets the nomination

2. the long knives come out, Bernie get hacks up a lot, but survives and manages to get the nomination

which is the better outcome for the party? and better for the chances of defeating Trump?

This is a good question.

I think that Bernie got very lucky in the last debate because Bloomberg showed up and was the #1 target. And then got so viciously destroyed by Warren that it was the talk of the night. And Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar decided to yell at each other instead of concentrating on the front runner. The dynamics will be totally different today.

The problem is that aside from Warren, who is clearly prepared to perform ritual sacrifices and even pull a Chris Christie on stage, none of the others have shown themselves capable of sharp brutality. Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar irrelevantly fight with each other. Joe Biden has to largely stay quiet in order not to say anything stupid, Bloomberg I think is willing to attack but was zombified last time and so who's left to really deliver the jabs Bernie's way?

This is a good question.

I think that Bernie got very lucky in the last debate because Bloomberg showed up and was the #1 target. And then got so viciously destroyed by Warren that it was the talk of the night. And Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar decided to yell at each other instead of concentrating on the front runner. The dynamics will be totally different today.

The problem is that aside from Warren, who is clearly prepared to perform ritual sacrifices and even pull a Chris Christie on stage, none of the others have shown themselves capable of sharp brutality. Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar irrelevantly fight with each other. Joe Biden has to largely stay quiet in order not to say anything stupid, Bloomberg I think is willing to attack but was zombified last time and so who's left to really deliver the jabs Bernie's way?

OK, so what is the likely outcome of all of that?
Who does that setup to be for the likely nominee?:

edit to say

I reread your post
my reading comprehension skills aren't the best, often I have to reread,

you say this sets up Bernie to keep advancing.

Last edited:
you say this sets up Bernie to keep advancing.

That would be my guess going in based on what we’ve seen so far. Is it possible that Bloomberg will turn into a charismatic guy overnight? Or that Elizabeth Warren will go 2/2 and zombify Bernie? I guess anything is possible, but unlikely.

True, anything is possible,

I actually believe the impeachment helped Trump, without it many would still be more riled up,
now he has been found not guilty

keep in mind I am not talking about the passionate on either side, but the voters in the 5 or 6 swing states that will decide this election

and say what one wants about Bernie's Castro remarks, FL one of the biggest swing states, he needs to adjust his talking points.

My home state can go fuck itself red for the rest of eternity until south Florida breaks off into another state, and Orlando becomes the Holy See.

It’s voting for Trump, and I’m not sure what the point of putting up a fight for it is. Go focus on people who are less selfish.

This is a good question.

I lived through 12 years of Mike Bloomberg, and while he's never going to be mistaken for Churchill I've never seen him quite as zombie like as he was in that first hour. He's normally feisty and sarcastic. I'd expect more of that tonight. If he has another performance like he did in the first hour last week he might as well call it a day.

I know Pete is not well liked around these here parts but I thought he did very well last debate - had a few sharp digs at Sanders and Bloomberg and obliterated Klobuchar. I don't discount him being able to ratchet it up tonight.

Warren was my spirit animal last time. If she would have performed like that earlier she might still be the front runner instead of teetering on irrelevance. Nobody could watch that and ever make the argument about what would happen in a Warren vs Trump debate again. He'd wipe the floor.

Joe's gonna do a lot of "I'm the only guy" lines. Honestly he needs to perform tonight. It he stinks it up Sanders is going to take South Carolina and create a scenario where either Bloomberg rebounds tonight and makes it interesting on Tuesday or, frankly, it's over and Sanders is your nominee.

Steyer will stare directly at the TV screen and look awkward. I still have no idea how he's at 18% in South Carolina. Biden might actually do well to knock him down a few pegs and forget about Bloomberg and even Sanders until after South Carolina. His entire campaign depends upon a good performance in his "fire wall" state. Everyone will (should) be going for Sanders so Biden's play might be to just not suck and steal some points away from Steyer.

The wild card is Sanders and how he responds to being attacked. He's mostly avoided that in the debates thus far. If he handles it well and can steal away South Carolina this one's over. If he shits the bed and all of a sudden South Carolina is a double digit win for Biden everyone will be spending the lead up to Super Tuesday talking about Joe the come back senior citizen.

Last edited:
Pete’s savagery is why I don’t like him at all as a character. He’s so smug. His attacks at Klobuchar were not a good look, and I absolutely loved when she shut his ass down momentarily asking if he thinks she’s stupid.

He talks to them like we talk to each other here. Not a good look at all.

A little checking and one can see how Steyer got SC numbers

"
Steyer’s rising profile and willingness to sprinkle cash across the state has put him on a collision course with rival campaigns — and some state party veterans. On Wednesday, state Sen. Dick Harpootlian, a former state party chair who is a Biden supporter and high-profile bundler, suggested that Steyer paid off state Rep. Jerry Govan, chair of the Legislative Black Caucus, for his support.

A Post and Courier report revealing that Govan, once a Biden ally, received over $43,000 from the Steyer campaign for consulting services further stoked tensions between the Biden campaign and some black South Carolina lawmakers."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/09/tom-steyer-south-carolina-primary-111580

He's been accused of bribing or buying votes or investing in the African American community

there was a dust up awhile back accusing Biden of being racist because he did want to see black people "earning" money from Steyer

Last edited:
like we talk to each other here. Not a good look at all.

this is true, you usually do pretty good

and seem to let logic and reason lead more than emotions.

now, I've broken one of my own rules, a personal post, instead of saying on just the arguments presented.

Last edited:
Markets down almost 2,000 in two days.

I'm lucky that i have a job i can do from home. But i'm still going to be stockpiling on supplies, as i'm not really sure what is going to happen in the next few weeks / months.

This is a good question.

This is a great take.

If Biden and the balls and skill to pull it off (not holding my breath) he would pull the Warren/NDA on Sanders.

When the inevitable Castro question comes up, say to Bernie directly.

You've praised Ortega and called him a very impressive guy, you just three days ago excused Castro's brutality because he had a great literacy program, you've criticized American policy while you visited the Soviet Union, and you even said that US policy in Vietnam was - and I quote "almost as bad as what Hitler did".
But I think what is the most revealing was your praise of Cuba after visiting there. While Cuba was holding political prisoners and committing atrocities, you said, and I again quote - "the Cuban revolution is a very profound and very deep revolution. They are in fact creating a very different value system than the one we are familiar with."
That statement troubles me the most. Can you tell the American voters tonight, that you now condemn these despots, and violent regimes, or do you have more excuses and praise to give?

That is how someone finally takes on Bernie directly with what will be thrown at him in the general.

If not Biden, the one who would dare ask such a thing, would be the story of the week. And I don't see how that wouldn't hit Sanders support.

How it all plays out in the end? Not sure. If it meant Biden beats Sanders in SC by 12 instead of 2. It could get interesting. You could see a shift in the super tuesday states. If Bernie somehow pulls off a skillful answer, then maybe it ends up a wash. And he continues his trajectory. Either way, those things are going to hit Bernie at some point.

Last edited:
the virus is serious
panic with internet memes and rumors can make things much worse

I almost feel like we're headed for uncharted waters here

ok, this is the last debate before Super Tuesday I think?

over 1/3 of delegates then?

just like the NV debate did not change much in that primary

I don't think this one will move SC much.

S T will tell us a lot.

Last edited:
NY Times reporting that Bernie is planning to give a "Knock out blow" to Biden??

He would rather run against Bloomberg? Why not knock out Warren and maybe pick up some supporters.

What's he gonna hit Biden with really.. hmmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom