US Politics XVIII: the illegitimate partisan sham thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
of witch hunts and wolf cries:

The smear campaign against the American diplomat lies at the heart of the impeachment proceedings against President Trump. Those proceedings come to a head Wednesday with an expected House vote on two articles of impeachment.

Graphika, which outlined its analysis in a report on Tuesday, said it could not say with precision who in Russia might be responsible for circulating the posts claiming to show the do-not-prosecute list. The State Department has denied that such a list existed, and Lutsenko has since sought to clarify what he reportedly told Solomon.

The Russia-based operation, which also sought to blame Britain for interfering in the 2016 election, represents a warning about the evolving methods and wide-ranging goals of disinformation as Americans enter a volatile election season, four years after Russian actors used social media to sow discord and boost Trump’s candidacy for the White House. The “known Russian operation," as Graphika called it, involved doctored visuals and sought to cover its tracks using single-use accounts on discussion forums and other crowdsourced websites, as well as on the news aggregation site Reddit.

The apparent aims of the digital deception underscore the parallels between Russia’s campaign of disinformation and the GOP’s embrace of debunked theories that paint Trump as the victim of British spooks and deep-state saboteurs.

Graphika identified 44 stories launched by the operation between October 2016 and October 2019, many of them “demonstrably false, based on forged documents or non-existent interviews.” The falsehoods touched on everything from Hillary Clinton’s bid for the presidency in 2016 to rumors about the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea, from which Russia was barred because of its state-backed doping program.

Meanwhile, Graphika’s report notes, “all were amplified by networks of fake accounts across a wide range of social platforms.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...ve-helped-spread-smear-us-ambassador-ukraine/

Trumps letter today totally proves he’s wanted impeachment from the beginning.

He’s got less than 24 hours before adding the asterisk to his name.

I’m unsure of how to handle the Senate. Do you send the articles over knowing the GOP will run a sham trial? Or do you hold off on sending them and continue to build off of the future investigations ?

I can see pros and cons to both. MoscowMitch and GOPs play will be obvious for either one.

I’m leaning towards sending the articles over and making the GOP stand up in front of the world and be remembered as cowards and traitors to this country. Of course after Trump is acquitted, who knows what kind of criminal behavior he’ll do in the open

Trumps letter today totally proves he’s wanted impeachment from the beginning.

He’s got less than 24 hours before adding the asterisk to his name.

I’m unsure of how to handle the Senate. Do you send the articles over knowing the GOP will run a sham trial? Or do you hold off on sending them and continue to build off of the future investigations ?

I can see pros and cons to both. MoscowMitch and GOPs play will be obvious for either one.

I’m leaning towards sending the articles over and making the GOP stand up in front of the world and be remembered as cowards and traitors to this country. Of course after Trump is acquitted, who knows what kind of criminal behavior he’ll do in the open

I think you hold off from sending to the Senate. Doing so now is political suicide because not only will Trump be acquitted, but he’ll parade sound all year claiming he finally defeated the witch hunt.

If you’re the Democrats, keep it in the news as long as possible. And say your reason for not turning it over is due to corrupt Senate Republicans.

Couldn’t you argue that by not submitting the articles that the Democrats are proving this is a hoax and don’t believe in their own investigation/facts ?

Couldn’t you argue that by not submitting the articles that the Democrats are proving this is a hoax and don’t believe in their own investigation/facts ?

If they’re clear and concise on how they frame it, then no. They should pull a Trump and basically say the same thing over and over that they don’t feel comfortable turning it over to the Senate because Mitch McConnell is corrupt.

introducing a censure bill aimed at torpedoing impeachment at the last minute is definitely a great way to prove to everyone that you're really truly a democrat and super committed to beating trump, tulsi!

Poor Nancy Pelosi, receiving that whackadoodle letter from Trump. It's even worse than receiving one of those Christmas newsletters.

Children will literally read this in history books in the future. It's mindboggling.

I’m obsessed with Gzus because I’m drunk, horny, and looking for a quick hookup.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/18/misso...campaign=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true

social-logo-lockup.jpg

As Gzus intended.

the only shocking thing about this story is his assumption that a gay man would ever eat at an Arby's.

I have a gay friend who is (ashamedly) addicted to Chick-Fil-A, those little breakfast sandwiches that they do with their nuggets, whatever they're called.

the entire GOP seems to not understand that hillary clinton doesn't become the president if trump is impeached.

One of those Republican fools actually made an analogy to Jesus and Pontius Pilate

Let's make a list of people we can categorize Trump with and make analogies regarding his unfair persecution

Jesus

Witches in the Salem Witch Trials

All the handmaids in Handmaid's Tale

Hester Prynne

interesting idea. i wonder about blowback, but i sure would love it if the Democrats actually showed, like, 1/10th of the chutzpah that McConnell displays on a daily basis and actually fight fire with fire:

A group of House Democrats is pushing Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other leaders to withhold the articles of impeachment against President Trump that are expected to emerge on Wednesday, potentially delaying a Senate trial for months.

The notion of impeaching Trump but holding the articles in the House has gained traction among some on the political left as a way of potentially forcing Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to conduct a trial on more favorable terms for Democrats. And if no agreement is reached, some have argued, the trial could be delayed indefinitely, denying Trump an expected acquittal.

The gambit has gained some traction inside the left wing of the House Democratic Caucus this week. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) said Wednesday, as his colleagues debated the impeachment articles on the House floor, that he has spoken to three dozen Democratic lawmakers who had expressed some level of enthusiasm for the idea of “rounding out the record and spending the time to do this right.”

“At a minimum, there ought to be an agreement about access to witnesses, rules of the game, timing,” Blumenauer said of a Senate trial.

Another Democrat, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, said there is “serious concern about whether there will be a fair trial on the Senate side” and acknowledged active talks about withholding the articles.

The notion has been most prominently advocated by Laurence H. Tribe, a Harvard Law School professor who has advised the House Judiciary Committee on the impeachment process. In a recent Washington Post op-ed, he wrote that “the public has a right to observe a meaningful trial rather than simply learn that the result is a verdict of not guilty.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...25814a-21c5-11ea-a153-dce4b94e4249_story.html

They should do it.

The Democrats are constantly obsessed about what the right thinks of them, what the media will say (including the GOP shills that go on there to lie for a living) rather than being bold.

Can the good people of Hawaii please vote out Tulsi Gabbard in the D primary? She needs to fuck off to wherever she came from (TM Trump).

Been checking out clips from today's testimony.

Dear god, the comments from the GOP. I don't know that I've ever seen that many incredibly stupid people gathered in one place before. It's absolutely staggering. The Jesus comparison. I can't even...

But it's official now, Trump's joined the impeached president list, so good for that, at least. The GOP should be hounded constantly going forward about the trial. It may not make them change their votes, but it'll certainly send the message that we're not going to forget how badly they're fucking up their role in all of this.

Words can't express how disgusting it is that our "President" attacks a deceased person and implies they're in hell, and attacks their widow right before her first Christmas without him. He is truly a sick individual.

He made arrangements to honor her deceased husband in basic ways that any decent human and President would do, so she's supposed to then kiss his ass and vote against impeachment? That's a real beauty? Screw your little misogynist swipes you clown.

Every single thing is a narcissistic transactional QUID PRO QUO for him. Soulless and without any empathy for anyone but himself.

(CNN)President Donald Trump attacked Democratic Rep. Debbie Dingell and her late husband, Rep. John Dingell, during a rally on Wednesday, implying the former congressman was "looking up" from hell.

"Debbie Dingell, that's a real beauty," Trump said of the congresswoman, noting he was watching her on television during impeachment proceedings.

Trump said that he gave the family the "A-plus treatment" after John Dingell died, and that the congresswoman, who now holds his seat in the House, told Trump during an emotional call following John Dingell's funeral that her husband would have been "thrilled" by the respect shown for him during his funeral and "he's looking down" on the ceremonies.

"Maybe he's looking up," Trump said, drawing some moans and groans from those in Battle Creek, Michigan, about two hours away from Debbie Dingell's district. "Maybe, but let's assume he's looking down."

Trump's comment about John Dingell, the longest ever serving congressman, fell mostly flat on a crowd in an important swing state that has long revered the former dean of the House. John Dingell was an iconic figure in Michigan who was admired across party lines, and was one of the most popular political figures in the state during his lifetime.

Michigan was key to Trump's election in 2016 and appealing to Midwestern voters like those in the Great Lakes State will be important in his quest to hold onto the White House.
Debbie Dingell responded on Twitter to Trump's attacks on Wednesday, accusing him of sharpening her grief going into the holidays without her husband.

"Mr. President, let's set politics aside," she tweeted. "My husband earned all his accolades after a lifetime of service. I'm preparing for the first holiday season without the man I love. You brought me down in a way you can never imagine and your hurtful words just made my healing much harder."

Dingell's fellow Michigan representative, Republican Rep. Fred Upton, said late Wednesday night that "there was no need to 'dis' him in a crass political way. Most unfortunate and an apology is due."

Trump's rally insults marked the second time in five days that he has mentioned John Dingell's funeral while disparaging the congresswoman, who has supported impeachment.

"The last time I spoke to Debbie Dingell was her call thanking me for granting top memorial and funeral service honors for her then just departed husband, long time Congressman John Dingell," Trump tweeted Saturday. "Now I watch her ripping me as part of the Democrats Impeachment Hoax. Really pathetic!"

Dingell told CNN's Brooke Baldwin on Monday that she was "really hurt" by Trump's tweet.
"It really felt awful, you want to know the truth," she said, her voice becoming briefly emotional. "I'm already missing him."

Been checking out clips from today's testimony.

Dear god, the comments from the GOP. I don't know that I've ever seen that many incredibly stupid people gathered in one place before. It's absolutely staggering. The Jesus comparison. I can't even...

But it's official now, Trump's joined the impeached president list, so good for that, at least. The GOP should be hounded constantly going forward about the trial. It may not make them change their votes, but it'll certainly send the message that we're not going to forget how badly they're fucking up their role in all of this.

I stole this from someone else, but Jesus and Trump did have one thing in common. They both hung out with hookers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom