US Politics XVII: Yes, squid pro row

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I've already made my stance on old white dudes entering the race clear... and I'd like Bloomberg, at this point, to stay out and simply use his funds to back candidates up and down the ballot - which he's been doing rather effectively.

That said... I call bullshit on this thread. Huge bullshit.

He was instrumental in bringing the Cornell Tech Campus to Roosevelt Island while mayor - which could have been a massive real estate development instead. He donated $100 million of his own money to help fund the project - the main building on the campus is named after his two daughters - one of whom is a CEO of her own company in her own right. He's still on their board.

He's been a huge supporter of STEM.

Training the labor force to be more tech savvy was one of his main pillars in his plan to help NYC recover after the great recession.

He also just donated 2 billion dollars to Johns Hopkins specifically to fund tuition for low income students.

And he's a staunch pro choice supporter.

I think this Twitter user might have overheard Bloomberg say those things in a hipster coffee shop.

He can be abrasive, sure. And there's plenty to be critical of on his record in regards to income inequality.

But the way she's making him sound on tech education and women's rights flies in the face of everything he's actually done in that space and is not realistic whatsoever.

Last edited:
It seems like a wild leap to assume the reason behind this seeming oversight is Mueller’s incompetence. Let’s not forget that the conclusions of his investigation are pretty clear, and that a lack of consequences as a result is not because his investigation didn’t paint a clear enough picture, but because of political spin and a Republican Congress and senate that has demonstrated time and again that they lack the moral backbone to stand up to Trump.

I mean, had McGahn and Jr been interviewed, do you think the end result would have been any different?

Agreed. The only reason he's getting impeached now is because the Democrats run the House. Republicans are afraid to stand up to him.

I'm tired of him saying that just 'cause dear god, Trump, pick a new word already.

Also, I am shocked, absolutely shocked, to hear that Trump Jr. isn't an emotional person.

:sigh: Come on, people.

Do those voters simply not get that if common ground can't be reached, it won't be because Warren failed to reach out to the Republicans, but rather the other way around?

...woooooooooow...

:|

fatin9r7chx31.jpg

I'm tired of him saying that just 'cause dear god, Trump, pick a new word already.

Also, I am shocked, absolutely shocked, to hear that Trump Jr. isn't an emotional person.

:sigh: Come on, people.

Do those voters simply not get that if common ground can't be reached, it won't be because Warren failed to reach out to the Republicans, but rather the other way around?

:|

Well, first she would need to win in order to get to the point to reach out to Repubs. And right now she is endangering that with her all in stance.

I think the issue is that as far as her campaign is being run, no "middle ground" is being offered. I still think she would be wiser in having a plan that initially revamped the ACA, and within that, maybe create a plan that would begin to allow transition to Medicare for people at a younger and younger age over a fairly long period of time.

The current, M4A, wipe out all private insurance, big and bold approach isn't setting up a place for more moderate swing state voters to hang their hat on.

i wonder how TRIGGERED don jr. is right now that the fact his sister is 15x richer than he is has been made public :lol:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chasew...eric-and-ivanka-trump-are-worth/#2f55d2fb75ed
:lol:

Would be hilarious if after all this Li'l Lev was the one that brings Trump down

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1192916038045896704
Wow (not totally surprised)! I forget that Ukraine stopped cooperating with the special prosecutor.

From The Hill :whistle:

The Hill
Democrats aim to impeach Trump by Christmas
Scott Wong and Cristina Marcos 34 mins ago

House Democrats are moving aggressively to wrap up their historic, weeks-long investigation into President Trump before 2020, potentially setting up a climactic vote to impeach him just before Christmas.

Adam Schiff, Nancy Pelosi are posing for a picture: Democrats aim to impeach Trump by Christmas© Greg Nash Democrats aim to impeach Trump by Christmas
The timeline has come into sharper focus as Democrats have made a series of critical moves signaling they are shutting down the closed-door fact-finding phase of the inquiry and shifting now to Phase 2: making the case for impeachment to the American public.

Congressional investigators, led by House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), appear to have wrapped up the last of 15 private depositions of current and former Trump administration officials. This week they began publishing thousands of pages of transcripts from those interviews.

And next week, Democrats will launch the first public, televised hearings of their nearly seven-week-long impeachment inquiry, calling three career foreign service officials who have already testified that Trump, his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani and their allies were seeking a brazen quid pro quo with Ukraine.

"I think, without being hasty, again, but being expeditious and deliberative, that the House ought to set for themselves a target of having dealt with this in the Intelligence Committee and Foreign Affairs and Oversight and the Judiciary Committee and on the floor by Christmas," Rep. Denny Heck (D-Wash.), a member of the Intelligence Committee, told CNN's "The Situation Room" on Thursday night.

"That's a tough schedule. But it's a doable schedule, given where we're at and all the work that's been done thus far," Heck said.

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."
:corn: :corn: :corn:

(caveat - maybe)

Last edited:
If I am an elitist for rolling my eyes at all these morons, so be it.

Fuck you Donnie Jr for your disgraceful despicable comparison of your family's "sacrifices". You are so far down your narcissistic rabbit hole, and so desperate for your father's approval, that you don't care one bit about insulting the men and women who truly sacrificed.

Not to mention that you never served a day and neither did your cadet bone spurs Daddy.

So delusional and offensive?

Sweet fancy Moses! Talk about a journalist following a trail.
Long but worthwhile, head-shaking, astounding story

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1193548156736344065

Giuliani is the gift that keeps on giving, truly.

But hey, Trump only hires the best people, right, Trump supporters?

Vindman gone. On Veteran's Day Weekend. Fuck.

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1193681722975674368

Somebody's saying in the replies underneath that he isn't being fired now. But even if that's true and he does stay on, I have no problem believing that Trump certainly considered the idea of firing him, at the very least, or was going to do it until somebody made him change his mind.

Because, y'know, this is totally how truly innocent people behave after somebody's testified against them.

Could you say more on this, Moonlit?

I mean, do I really need to? We've got a GOP that continues to defend Trump despite all his shitty behavior and the blatant evidence proving he's involved in criminal activity, and who will pull ridiculous stunts to show how far they're willing to go to defend him (see Gaetz' recent SCIF debacle). The few members of the party who do actually bother to speak up don't follow up those stern words with any sort of significant action. They're not listening to the voters on the big issues, either-they're doing nothing about climate change, gun control, they keep wanting to mess with healthcare, etc. So yeah, not exactly the sort of people I'm expecting to come to the table and work with Democrats on a lot of the important issues. And even if and when they do turn on Trump, it'll likely be because they know their own jobs are in jeopardy rather than because they know it's the right, honorable thing to do.

And regarding the voters, there is a little more hope in that there are some issues that do seem to matter just as much to Republicans as they do Democrats. But even then, Republican voters still by and large continue to support Trump, and the fact that anyone outside of his most diehard supporters still approves of his presidency in any way, shape, or form at this rate is still pretty sad and confusing in and of itself. Hence why it makes it harder for me to believe they'd be willing to support a Democrat.

I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised, though.

Love how Nikki Haley gets contacted by highest level WH officials saying that they are trying to save the country from a incompetent, child, sociopath.

And she was like, ugh. they were SO annoying.

Fucking really? She thinks that makes her look good? She is so much worse than people seem to think. I really don't get it. She's like Pence in a pantsuit.

LOL.

https://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-jr-walks-triggered-032929868.html

Donald Trump Jr ventured on to the University of California’s overwhelmingly liberal Los Angeles campus on Sunday, hoping to prove what he had just argued in his book – that a hate-filled American left was hell-bent on silencing him and anyone else who supported the Trump presidency.

But the appearance backfired when his own supporters, diehard Make America Great Again conservatives, raised their voices most loudly in protest and ended up drowning him out barely 20 minutes into an event scheduled to last two hours.

The audience was angry that Trump Jr and his girlfriend, Kimberly Guilfoyle, would not take questions. The loud shouts of “USA! USA!” that greeted Trump when he first appeared on the stage of a university lecture hall to promote his book Triggered: How The Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us quickly morphed into even louder, openly hostile chants of “Q and A! Q and A!”

The 450-strong audience had just been told they would not be allowed to ask questions, “due to time constraints”.

At first, Trump and Guilfoyle tried to ignore the discontent, which originated with a fringe group of America Firsters who believe the Trump administration has been taken captive by a cabal of internationalists, free-traders, and apologists for mass immigration.

When the shouting would not subside, Trump Jr tried – and failed – to argue that taking questions from the floor risked creating soundbites that leftwing social media posters would abuse and distort. Nobody was buying that.

This guy is such a fucking tool.

i saw a remarkable piece of theater this past weekend, The Inheritance. it's a play about the aftermath of AIDS, of inherited trauma, and how we tell stories.

in it, there's a line about Trump that drew gasps, and then applause:

“You could say that he is H.I.V., and that he’s attached himself to American democracy and is now destroying the American immune system. . . . He’s replicating his genetic material from tweet to tweet, from person to person.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom