US Politics XVII: Yes, squid pro row

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is only one candidate who I believe could build the sort of movement that could actually enact change. Electoral politics cannot get everything done on their own. And only Sanders could actually rally laborers, young people, and non-voters to make real change possible.

I wish there was a younger candidate without health concerns running who had the same vision. There isn't.

Apologies for being glib, but what can you build if you’re dead a year in? Or if you die a week before the election? This isn’t about being morbid, but about medical facts and likelihoods and having the country’s as well as the world’s (to a lesser extent obviously) future hinge on it?

If you continue to let people break the law and face no consequences, eventually you’ll be the one locked up because you have no more power

Stop worrying about optics and follow the law. His base is going to scream and shoot people regardless.

Apologies for being glib, but what can you build if you’re dead a year in? Or if you die a week before the election? This isn’t about being morbid, but about medical facts and likelihoods and having the country’s as well as the world’s (to a lesser extent obviously) future hinge on it?

you can do a lot as a Force Ghost.

So why weren't any of the GOP congressmen arrested yesterday for their stunt? If I attempted what they did, you know damn well I'd be behind bars right now. I'd lose my job too.

This is where my frustration with Pelosi and other Dems really hits the nerve. Dems send harsh letters and twitter updates. Nancy has literally done nothing but photo ops.

Their inaction yesterday shows that the laws don't apply to the GOP. Want to continue to lose minority interest.....then continue to prove the point there's no punishment if you're white and in power.

The GOP will get worse and worse the longer the impeachment process goes and no punishment for their behavior. Subpoenas???
They wanted to get arrested because if they got arrested it would be a huge talking point for the republicans and they would be saying how they were infringed on their rights etc. It would have been a major distraction and it would have backfired on the dems. I think Pelosi did the right thing here by not having anyone arrested. The last thing we need is more conspiracy theories by the republicans. And you know trump would have been spewing more BS about the arrests. It would have not ended well for the Dems for sure.

There is only one candidate who I believe could build the sort of movement that could actually enact change. Electoral politics cannot get everything done on their own. And only Sanders could actually rally laborers, young people, and non-voters to make real change possible.

I wish there was a younger candidate without health concerns running who had the same vision. There isn't.

Here we go again with the 'only Sanders' mindset. I remember months ago when you said that, while Bernie was your first choice, you would also enthusiastically support Warren were she the nominee(and that you'd have to hold your nose if it was anybody else). But I guess now that she's surging and seems to actually have a chance, you've backtracked on that?

Before you start thinking I'm a centrist who thinks the only problem is Trump, you should know that my worldview at the moment is this:

Our society is sick, plagued by a virus of corporate malfeasance and a government that aids and abets and even becomes financially indebted to the very corporate entities it is supposed to be policing.

We have a oil and fossil fuel industry that is willing to slowly destroy the planet and pay off politicians to slow the progress of green and renewable energies in the name of protecting their profits.

We have gun industry(and their corporate lobby, the NRA) that has the blood of countless mass shooting victims, not to mention victims of other random gun violence, on its hands, and has no limit to how bloody those hands can get in the name of protecting their profits.

We have an insurance industry that wishes to profit off the illnesses of others and only in the last decade stopped the borderline-inhumane practice of denying coverage to those who need it the most.

We have a pharmaceutical industry that has made unspeakable amounts of money getting people hooked on opiates, people who then probably can't afford the prices that insurance industry charges for treatment. That also plays a significant role in the stupidly high underlying cost of healthcare in this country via its chronic inflation of drug prices.

We have a private prison industry that profits off of incarcerating people who may not belong in prison, who may be better candidates for treatment, or community service, or whatever.

On top of all of this, the fundamental democratic principle of majority rule is being threatened. Twice in the last two decades, a president has entered the WH despite losing the national popular vote. The 60M people in California and New York get 4 senators while the 60M people spread across the, what, 25? least populous states get 50 senators.

All of this while the cost of everything has gone up, up, up over the last several decades while median income has more or less been a straight line, and the wealth gap has grown historically big.

When I think the problems facing us are this dire, I want a president who doesn't have serious health questions and, frankly, one who doesn't inspire the same cult mentality in his supporters as the current occupant of the WH does in his. I've had enough of that.

So I support Warren. You think she's not as legit in her anti-corporate views as Bernie? Then why was it reported that big-money Wall Street Democratic donors said they would support Trump or sit the election out if Warren was the nominee? Why was Mark Zuckerberg caught on tape saying it would 'suck' if Warren were elected? Clearly the corporate sector thinks she is a threat to them, even if you don't.

I could say more, but I'll see if you respond to this first.

I will say this about the concerns regarding Warren/Biden/Bernie's ages: at least with any one of them, I know that if, God forbid, something were to happen while they were in office, I wouldn't be scared at the thought of their VP taking over, because I know they'd pick somebody worthwhile. I sense that's a big reason their ages don't bother some other Democratic voters as well.

That said, I do think the concerns are valid and worth addressing. And I do think it's funny that for all the talk and concern about young people not voting more often, the frontrunners continue to be the old guard of politicians, instead of the numerous younger candidates that are also running. Yes, there are young people who support Bernie, Warren, and Biden, but I can also see a lot of young people being frustrated that yet again, Washington continues to skew old, even when it comes to the party they support. It'd be especially interesting to see a younger candidate going up against Trump in a debate. Could be reminiscent of the Kennedy/Nixon debates in that way (or hell, Obama/McCain, for that matter).

Matt Gaetz is a stupid and dangerous simpleton and has one of the most punchable faces in Congress. Which is saying a lot these days. If there is a list of people who will lead to the most joy when booted out of office, he has got to be in the top 10.

On a separate note, can we talk about Bernie Sanders continuing to run with his known health issues? Let me preface this by saying that while I was never a huge Sanders supporter, I also wasn't one who was particularly irritated by the Bernie Bros (maybe because I am older and female, but I simply don't have much exposure to that group), and I do think that the DNC had it out for him in 2016. I also think that the left owes him a debt of gratitude for moving the discussion and policies leftward en masse. The reason all these candidates are where they are today is because Bernie normalized progressive ideas in the mainstream. Anyone who does not give him credit for that is delusional.

However, the man is nearly 80 and has had a heart attack and surgery. His odds of a follow up heart attack are significant given his age and the fact he just suffered one. How can anyone in good faith continue to support his candidacy knowing this? Is it not enough that the country is essentially hanging on by a thread hoping that a nearly-90-year-old woman who has some form of cancer every year or so manages to hold on for another 15 months? Is there not the recognition that in order to reverse course you need a 2-term presidency, and the odds of Bernie even living that long is questionable, nevermind getting elected a second time.

And then you see his supporters post insane things like "I'd rather have 1 year of Bernie than 8 years of Warren" (how divorced from reality do you have to be?). Do they not see Donald fucking Trump on TV every day, engaging in 10 different sorts of criminality before noon on the regular?
We have a minimum age of 35 to be elected President. Frankly we should also have a maximum age (Maybe say 70 so if you serve 2 terms you'll be 78 at the end),

Should probably also be a mandatory retirement age for the Supreme Court as well and if there was one RBG might have retired during Obama's administration.

We have a minimum age of 35 to be elected President. Frankly we should also have a maximum age (Maybe say 70 so if you serve 2 terms you'll be 78 at the end),

Should probably also be a mandatory retirement age for the Supreme Court as well and if there was one RBG might have retired during Obama's administration.

A maximum age on the court without a counter balance of term limit would just lead to the appointment of judges having a criteria of being aged 35-40. Hard pass on that one.

1000%

Frankly the same goes for Biden, and Warren is barely getting by for me.

Enough with the old folks.

1000%

I think the difference here is the heart attack. I mean, I'm ok with Biden and Warren, if they have a good VP pick. Sure they are more likely to have some health issues pop up. But after actually having a heart attack at Sanders age, makes it multiple times more likely that he will have serious health issues in the next few years.

I agree it would be great to have a younger person, but I'm soured on Pete, Harris has failed to make any headway after a good start, Booker, Beto, both realistically are out of this race, Yang. LOL. yeah, no.

This is a pretty big deal. And not exactly sure if it's Lindsay being a bitch to Trump, or if it just backfired on him, or if it is to single out any resistence and attack them..

Either way it's good to see, although, everything that he says in the resolution is absolute bullshit. He's comparing previous Senate trial proceedings to the initial inquiry going on now which are two completely different things. He is, as Susan Rice so eloquently said, a piece of shit.

1000%

I'm more concerned about Biden's mental sharpness than physical health (Bernie would be the flip side of this).

Warren's age is also far from ideal. But she comes across as 20 years younger than these guys, for whatever reason.

Tulsi Gabbard is not running for re-election in Hawaii so she can concentrate on her presidential run. Third party run incoming in 3, 2, 1..,...

I think the difference here is the heart attack. I mean, I'm ok with Biden and Warren, if they have a good VP pick. Sure they are more likely to have some health issues pop up. But after actually having a heart attack at Sanders age, makes it multiple times more likely that he will have serious health issues in the next few years.

I agree it would be great to have a younger person, but I'm soured on Pete, Harris has failed to make any headway after a good start, Booker, Beto, both realistically are out of this race, Yang. LOL. yeah, no.
I'm more ok with Warren than I am with Biden - as Biden has shown clear and obvious signs of decline. He's struggled to remember things, and is generally not as sharp on the debate stage as he once was. He was always gaffe prone, but it was more along the lines of saying too much or forgetting the mic was still hot (this is a big fucking deal). This is different, and it's obvious.

Warren still has a lot of vibrance to her. She's sharp and seems more prepared now than ever. She's also had her share of gaffes in the past, mostly on the walking into something that should have been an obvious no side - but she's been incredibly impressive and with it thus far. She's also younger than Biden and Sanders, who would both be in their 80s by the end of their first term in office. Warren would be 75 at the end of her first term, younger than what Sanders and Biden are now.

I'm more ok with Warren than I am with Biden - as Biden has shown clear and obvious signs of decline. He's struggled to remember things, and is generally not as sharp on the debate stage as he once was. He was always gaffe prone, but it was more along the lines of saying too much or forgetting the mic was still hot (this is a big fucking deal). This is different, and it's obvious.

Warren still has a lot of vibrance to her. She's sharp and seems more prepared now than ever. She's also had her share of gaffes in the past, mostly on the walking into something that should have been an obvious no side - but she's been incredibly impressive and with it thus far. She's also younger than Biden and Sanders, who would both be in their 80s by the end of their first term in office. Warren would be 75 at the end of her first term, younger than what Sanders and Biden are now.

Agree on all points. I'm just still freaking out about Warren's ability in the general. She is just too weak right now with minorities and moderate/white rural, and surprisingly even young voters. I think she runs about a point different than Biden on young voters, both double digits behind Bernie.
She can "excite" the 30 to 50 year old college educated white liberal crowd (hey that's me) all she wants. But that aint gonna do it. As of now, IMO, no way she wins FL, NC, PA, OH, I think even Nevada could by shaky. And i think it would be damn close in MI, Iowa and WI. And that's before she gets hammered by Trump and Russia and Saudi Arabia etc... in the general.

Agree on all points. I'm just still freaking out about Warren's ability in the general. She is just too weak right now with minorities and moderate/white rural, and surprisingly even young voters. I think she runs about a point different than Biden on young voters, both double digits behind Bernie.
She can "excite" the 30 to 50 year old college educated white liberal crowd (hey that's me) all she wants. But that aint gonna do it. As of now, IMO, no way she wins FL, NC, PA, OH, I think even Nevada could by shaky. And i think it would be damn close in MI, Iowa and WI. And that's before she gets hammered by Trump and Russia and Saudi Arabia etc... in the general.

this is what keeps me awake at night too.

how will this Massachusetts liberal who wants to take away your health insurance do any better than Hillary?

i'd be happy with a President Warren. but someone has to fucking win next November.

my hope, right now, is that it's still early. we are having debates with an insane number of people on the stage. my hope is that as the numbers dwindle, the candidates get better.

i spend time on conservative websites, and often read the comment sections, which is really bad for my mental health, but i am desperate to understand how some people think, what contortions of logic bring them to the conclusions they have. and we have to understand that there's a percentage of the population that is, now, impervious to logic, fact, and reason. they are animated by cultural hate, and Trump is a cult figure for them. it's Jonesboro or Heaven's Gate or Waco for them. and these people are excited to vote.

a 2018 repeat is what is needed. but who can pull this off? my hope is that HRC's relatively unique personal baggage accumulated over 30 years of public life combined with Trumps' blank-slate-ness made the difference in 2016, and since his approval ratings are shit, 2016 was a black swan event. and that more people than not are going to want this reality show to be cancelled.

but there are crazies out there. and they vote.

I get that, but to steal a line from Chappelle's Show... compared to Trump, she's Malcom X.

this is what keeps me awake at night too.

how will this Massachusetts liberal who wants to take away your health insurance do any better than Hillary?

i'd be happy with a President Warren. but someone has to fucking win next November.

my hope, right now, is that it's still early. we are having debates with an insane number of people on the stage. my hope is that as the numbers dwindle, the candidates get better.

i spend time on conservative websites, and often read the comment sections, which is really bad for my mental health, but i am desperate to understand how some people think, what contortions of logic bring them to the conclusions they have. and we have to understand that there's a percentage of the population that is, now, impervious to logic, fact, and reason. they are animated by cultural hate, and Trump is a cult figure for them. it's Jonesboro or Heaven's Gate or Waco for them. and these people are excited to vote.

a 2018 repeat is what is needed. but who can pull this off? my hope is that HRC's relatively unique personal baggage accumulated over 30 years of public life combined with Trumps' blank-slate-ness made the difference in 2016, and since his approval ratings are shit, 2016 was a black swan event. and that more people than not are going to want this reality show to be cancelled.

but there are crazies out there. and they vote.

All of this!

And while Hillary had all that baggage, She also had an 80% approval rating with African Americans and won AA votes 88% to Trump's 8%.
Right now, Warren "surged" this month in support from African American voters, from 10% to 19%.

All of this!

And while Hillary had all that baggage, She also had an 80% approval rating with African Americans and won AA votes 88% to Trump's 8%.
Right now, Warren "surged" this month in support from African American voters, from 10% to 19%.

This scares me too, but at some point people have to take a stand. Warren's policies would do more for the minority communities than another GOP term.

Wouldn't you want to get a white supremacist out of the government over having your #1 pick win the primary and challenge?

I think Bernie is shady as fuck, even with agreeing with his overall message. But if he's on the ticket in 2020, there's not an ounce of hesitation. He's my President.

I'll worry about whatever after he's in office, but I know there's no possible way things could be worse than they're going now

so now we're certain that warren has no hope of coming close in several states that trump barely won, he going to flip nevada against her, and in the midwestern states that he won by a combined margin smaller than the crowd at a football game, it's going to be just as close this time around as the last time was, despite four years of him being by far the most unpopular president in modern history? lol okay.

so now we're certain that warren has no hope of coming close in several states that trump barely won, he going to flip nevada against her, and in the midwestern states that he won by a combined margin smaller than the crowd at a football game, it's going to be just as close this time around as the last time was, despite four years of him being by far the most unpopular president in modern history? lol okay.

no one is certain. people are worried.

consider all that this president has done, all that he has destroyed, all the crimes he has committed.

still, 40% of the country won't hear any different.

it has to concern people.

i really, really hope you're right, and that the usual calculus of political science applies this time.

It's worth noting (again) that black voters, and even more specifically, black women have voted in BASICALLY IDENTICAL RATES since the Clinton era. Every election. No matter who the D nominee was.

This is a very reliable voting group and Donald Trump has absolutely zero crossover appeal to them. Currently he's at a -80 or so net approval rating.

I understand the concern at the primary level - if Warren wants to win, she needs to do better with the minority vote. But it's completely and totally unrelated to the general election. Black voters have simply not deviated from standard rates of voting in the last 20-30 years...

This scares me too, but at some point people have to take a stand. Warren's policies would do more for the minority communities than another GOP term.

Wouldn't you want to get a white supremacist out of the government over having your #1 pick win the primary and challenge?

I think Bernie is shady as fuck, even with agreeing with his overall message. But if he's on the ticket in 2020, there's not an ounce of hesitation. He's my President.

I'll worry about whatever after he's in office, but I know there's no possible way things could be worse than they're going now

I think there is something to be said about the overall enthusiasm of Democrats to remove Trump. But even while Hillary had huge approval with African Americans, the turn out from them in the end was well below expectation, and was one of the main reason that WI, MI and PA flipped. Milwaukee, Detroit and Philly just didn't perform like was expected.

I know that I personally want a white supremacist out of office, along with hundreds of other reasons. But I'm a middle aged white guy and can't honestly put my motivations onto what many black voters motivations are. If there isn't a connection, a reason, a purpose for someone to vote, then turnout may suffer again.
There is a possibility that Warren adds a couple percent support every month for the next year and half, and she ends up with decent backing. But its perilous for sure.

And i know that we are all talking here like Warren will be the nominee, since she has performed so well lately. But Biden is still sitting at the top in the average of polls. If he wins either NH or Iowa or even comes very close, then follows with a win in NV and a huge win in SC, this race could very well be his.

Taking a look at the Primary/caucus calendar really gives me a whole different outlook, and to me looks like Biden could almost run the table if he can do well enough in the first 4.

look at the lineup:

February 3: Iowa caucuses - Probably Warren

February 11: New Hampshire primary - Probably Warren

February 22: Nevada caucuses - Probably Biden

February 29: South Carolina primary - Biden

March 3: Super Tuesday (Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Virginia primaries); American Samoa caucuses; Democrats Abroad party-run primary for expatriates features a March 3–10 voting period.
* I think Biden could win 11 of these 15 states

March 10: Idaho, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, and Washington primaries; North Dakota firehouse caucuses (identical to a party-run primary).
Biden probably picking up 4 out of 6

March 17: Arizona, Florida, Illinois, and Ohio primaries - Right now I would say all 3 Biden

March 24: Georgia primary[318] -Biden

March 29: Puerto Rico primary[319] - Biden

April 4: Alaska, Hawaii, and Louisiana primaries; Wyoming caucuses - Biden

April 7: Wisconsin primary - probably Biden

April 28: Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island primaries - probably a split between Warren and Biden

May 2: Kansas primary; Guam caucuses - Biden

May 5: Indiana primary - Biden

May 12: Nebraska and West Virginia primaries - Biden

May 19: Kentucky and Oregon primaries - guessing split

June 2: Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, and South Dakota - probably 3 for Biden

June 6: United States Virgin Islands caucuses - Biden

June 16: District of Columbia primary - Biden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom