US Politics XVII: Yes, squid pro row

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go back and read it all again, you’re embarrassing yourself, sit down.

I think going back to read would be most useful for YOU, since this was half the content of the post:

Trump appears to be struggling to gain popularity with black voters, with the majority (88 percent) disapproving of his job performance and just 10 percent seeing him as doing a good job.

Nowhere did I imply anything about them being Democrats.

Whatever their political persuasion, they almost all think Trump is an idiot.

On a different note. I know Trump is stupid. I know, I know. But I guess I figured maybe not this stupid. This is around 3rd or 4th grade knowledge right?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1187111478547177473

wL9OP4l.jpg

:lmao: :doh:

Gotta love stupid criminals.

Regarding Matt Gaetz, was reading up on him a little further and found this bit from his Wiki page:

On February 23, 2017, Gaetz, worried about protesters disrupting his speaking at his town hall in Pace, Florida, prepared what his staffers called a "non-verbal town hall." Gaetz printed out part of his speech onto giant boards that he would hold up if he was unable to get a word in." One of the signs prepared for Gaetz had the words "Professional Liberal Protestors".

Gaetz arrived 30 minutes late to the town hall meeting, where he faced at least 500 constituents crowded into a bowling alley. At the meeting he was grilled about his relationship with Donald Trump, his stance on repealing the Affordable Care Act (colloquially known as Obamacare), and his proposal to abolish the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). He said that Trump should release his tax returns, but stopped short of saying Congress should subpoena them. Gaetz closed his town hall by shouting Trump's 2016 campaign slogan, "Make America Great Again"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Gaetz

Setting aside all the other WTF-ery of that passage, I love how he didn't want protesters disrupting him at a town hall, but the shitty little stunt he pulled today is totally fine.

guys.

did you know that, according to comments on conservative websites, it really was in the national interest for Trump to leverage aid to Ukraine to start an investigation into Joe Biden because Joe Biden is the frontrunner and probable nominee and it's important to know if the Democratic candidate is compromised and perhaps a Ukrainian agent?

because we can't have that.
I heard he also likes pizza. And ping pong.

So why weren't any of the GOP congressmen arrested yesterday for their stunt? If I attempted what they did, you know damn well I'd be behind bars right now. I'd lose my job too.

This is where my frustration with Pelosi and other Dems really hits the nerve. Dems send harsh letters and twitter updates. Nancy has literally done nothing but photo ops.

Their inaction yesterday shows that the laws don't apply to the GOP. Want to continue to lose minority interest.....then continue to prove the point there's no punishment if you're white and in power.

The GOP will get worse and worse the longer the impeachment process goes and no punishment for their behavior. Subpoenas???

So why weren't any of the GOP congressmen arrested yesterday for their stunt? If I attempted what they did, you know damn well I'd be behind bars right now. I'd lose my job too.

This is where my frustration with Pelosi and other Dems really hits the nerve. Dems send harsh letters and twitter updates. Nancy has literally done nothing but photo ops.

Their inaction yesterday shows that the laws don't apply to the GOP. Want to continue to lose minority interest.....then continue to prove the point there's no punishment if you're white and in power.

The GOP will get worse and worse the longer the impeachment process goes and no punishment for their behavior. Subpoenas???

It’s a lose lose. If they had been arrested yesterday, it could have been a major backlash too.

Gotta agree with Mikal here. Pelosi has to walk an extremely fine line. She could put forward some sort of condemnation of their action in the house or whatever, but having people arrested would feed right into their hands. They are already calling it an unconstitutional power grab. If there were arrests. Dear god. I think some of the independents out there that are now on board with impeachment would be fooled by this and think, wow, arresting people for wanting more transparency??!! This is outrageous!

I had that same reaction at first - arrest these idiots - eject them, censure them, whatever. But I think that they already looked incredibly foolish and childish and didn't sway anyone on the fence with their stunt.

Regarding their SCIF incidences - these members of Congress don’t have security clearances to revoke.

Actually, I think they said about 12 of the people in that mob of angry white men, were ones that were actually ON the committees that are allowed into the meetings. LOL. Just so ridiculous. So they could, in effect have their clearance pulled.

Gotta agree with Mikal here. Pelosi has to walk an extremely fine line. She could put forward some sort of condemnation of their action in the house or whatever, but having people arrested would feed right into their hands. They are already calling it an unconstitutional power grab. If there were arrests. Dear god. I think some of the independents out there that are now on board with impeachment would be fooled by this and think, wow, arresting people for wanting more transparency??!! This is outrageous!

I had that same reaction at first - arrest these idiots - eject them, censure them, whatever. But I think that they already looked incredibly foolish and childish and didn't sway anyone on the fence with their stunt.

Yep. And they also look foolish because they were a day too late and ultimately delayed the testimony by 5 hours. That’s all.

And this “Resolution”? Not gonna matter either. They are simply trying to distract the public because they see public opinion slipping away.

Matt Gaetz is a stupid and dangerous simpleton and has one of the most punchable faces in Congress. Which is saying a lot these days. If there is a list of people who will lead to the most joy when booted out of office, he has got to be in the top 10.

On a separate note, can we talk about Bernie Sanders continuing to run with his known health issues? Let me preface this by saying that while I was never a huge Sanders supporter, I also wasn't one who was particularly irritated by the Bernie Bros (maybe because I am older and female, but I simply don't have much exposure to that group), and I do think that the DNC had it out for him in 2016. I also think that the left owes him a debt of gratitude for moving the discussion and policies leftward en masse. The reason all these candidates are where they are today is because Bernie normalized progressive ideas in the mainstream. Anyone who does not give him credit for that is delusional.

However, the man is nearly 80 and has had a heart attack and surgery. His odds of a follow up heart attack are significant given his age and the fact he just suffered one. How can anyone in good faith continue to support his candidacy knowing this? Is it not enough that the country is essentially hanging on by a thread hoping that a nearly-90-year-old woman who has some form of cancer every year or so manages to hold on for another 15 months? Is there not the recognition that in order to reverse course you need a 2-term presidency, and the odds of Bernie even living that long is questionable, nevermind getting elected a second time.

And then you see his supporters post insane things like "I'd rather have 1 year of Bernie than 8 years of Warren" (how divorced from reality do you have to be?). Do they not see Donald fucking Trump on TV every day, engaging in 10 different sorts of criminality before noon on the regular?

Actually, I think they said about 12 of the people in that mob of angry white men, were ones that were actually ON the committees that are allowed into the meetings. LOL. Just so ridiculous. So they could, in effect have their clearance pulled.

Right, but members of Congress do not necessarily need clearances to access their SCIF. It’s sort of stupid... but you electing them is their clearance. plebes are required years of our lives dug up but politicians are granted “need to know” access without a clearance. They take oaths of secrecy - that’s it. If they disobey the rules of a SCIF, there is no law or entity that can make them face repercussions except for congress itself. Basically, it becomes political. So, basically, Congress is permitted to put our national security at risk without any individual risk to their careers, unlike the rest of us.

Matt Gaetz is a stupid and dangerous simpleton and has one of the most punchable faces in Congress. Which is saying a lot these days. If there is a list of people who will lead to the most joy when booted out of office, he has got to be in the top 10.

On a separate note, can we talk about Bernie Sanders continuing to run with his known health issues? Let me preface this by saying that while I was never a huge Sanders supporter, I also wasn't one who was particularly irritated by the Bernie Bros (maybe because I am older and female, but I simply don't have much exposure to that group), and I do think that the DNC had it out for him in 2016. I also think that the left owes him a debt of gratitude for moving the discussion and policies leftward en masse. The reason all these candidates are where they are today is because Bernie normalized progressive ideas in the mainstream. Anyone who does not give him credit for that is delusional.

However, the man is nearly 80 and has had a heart attack and surgery. His odds of a follow up heart attack are significant given his age and the fact he just suffered one. How can anyone in good faith continue to support his candidacy knowing this? Is it not enough that the country is essentially hanging on by a thread hoping that a nearly-90-year-old woman who has some form of cancer every year or so manages to hold on for another 15 months? Is there not the recognition that in order to reverse course you need a 2-term presidency, and the odds of Bernie even living that long is questionable, nevermind getting elected a second time.

And then you see his supporters post insane things like "I'd rather have 1 year of Bernie than 8 years of Warren" (how divorced from reality do you have to be?). Do they not see Donald fucking Trump on TV every day, engaging in 10 different sorts of criminality before noon on the regular?

Well you may not have had the BernieBro experience, but going by your last paragraph, you are familiar with the infuriating Bernie or Bust, No one but Bernie is a true progressive crowd.

I have to agree, My next door neighbor who is in his 60's had a heart attack, stents put in, and now has had 3 more heart attacks in a year. More stents, surgery, etc...
It has noticeably slowed him down and taken its toll on his day to day.

This is sort of the same mentality where Bernie continued on in the primaries far beyond any point that he was going to be able to win, and going onto the convention, pretty much demanding that his platform be melded in with the DNC's. And Clinton met with him and included some major shifts to her policies in a gesture to reach out to Bernie supporters, but that still didn't stop Bernie fans from disrupting the convention. In the end I'm glad it pushed Clinton left, but Bernie's pride seemed to keep him from ever giving a true, full endorsement of Clinton, and that was all that many Bernie or Busters needed to continue tearing Clinton down during the general.

So this is the group that still unfortunately still exists, although at a smaller scale this time around. The hate i've seen thrown at Warren from them has been pretty stiff in the last month or so.
I like Bernie and do acknowledge how much he has brought to the table policy wise. It's been invaluable to keeping the party where they should and need to be.

But I cannot see that he is a viable candidate any longer. People need to hitch their wagon elsewhere in my opinion. And if Bernie really wanted to do what is best for the country and the party and not just keep him in the spotlight. He would step aside and emphatically support Warren, actively implore his base to follow, hand over his donor lists and really make a difference. He would be looked upon as a selfless progressive warrior that wants to make sure Trump is gone in 2020.

I'd tattoo this on my face if it was socially acceptable.

Right, but members of Congress do not necessarily need clearances to access their SCIF. It’s sort of stupid... but you electing them is their clearance. plebes are required years of our lives dug up but politicians are granted “need to know” access without a clearance. They take oaths of secrecy - that’s it. If they disobey the rules of a SCIF, there is no law or entity that can make them face repercussions except for congress itself. Basically, it becomes political. So, basically, Congress is permitted to put our national security at risk without any individual risk to their careers, unlike the rest of us.

Yeah, there seriously needs to be some laws rewritten after the garbage dump of Trump. Politicians, all the way up to the president need to be held criminally accountable for their actions.

Trumps lawyers are arguing a president cannot be arrested, charged, detained, investigated, indicted, or jailed for anything while president.

So in a far out hypothetical. A president in their first year could kill someone in broad daylight, and go along with the rest of their day. Well they would be impeached and then face charges right? Well, then what if they openly bribe house members with millions of dollars to not impeach them? What if they just have members of the senate killed where there wouldn't be enough votes to impeach him?

It's insane, but these are the possibilities.

It has become obvious that a lot of the "rules" set by the constitution were only good if the people in office were good enough people to follow them. They are not.

Trumps lawyers are arguing a president cannot be arrested, charged, detained, investigated, indicted, or jailed for anything while president.

The logical extension of that argument is that next time Nancy Pelosi wags her finger at him, he pops her off.

I was on the, 'why weren't they arrested' hype train yesterday, but watching how idiotic they've all looked in interviews today, I'm starting to be glad they weren't.

Yeah, there seriously needs to be some laws rewritten after the garbage dump of Trump. Politicians, all the way up to the president need to be held criminally accountable for their actions.

Yeah your system places a lot of faith and goodwill in the President and the White House in general doing the right thing.

You also have executive privilege which seems like a joke to me. On what basis does this exist?

Gabbard, like Stein, is absolutely supported by the Kremlin and will run 3rd Party.

I wonder if she’ll harm Trump more, though. As we’ve noted, some conservatives sure seem to like her.

There is only one candidate who I believe could build the sort of movement that could actually enact change. Electoral politics cannot get everything done on their own. And only Sanders could actually rally laborers, young people, and non-voters to make real change possible.

I wish there was a younger candidate without health concerns running who had the same vision. There isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom