US Politics XVII: Yes, squid pro row

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point we have to take these people at their word

They do not plan to leave office. Win or lose

huck will state he’s joking but this shit keeps coming up more and more to the point where half the country will support / want it to happen.

He said Greta needs anger management. At least he deserves a gold medal in projection.
In the library. I had to stifle my laughter when I saw that comment from hin! Readdyyy... Setttt...

PROJEEECTTT !!!!!
Unbelievable!

Melania Trump is a complete hypocrite. Starting with the fact that she went along with her clown husband's birther theory, without any regard for the Obama daughters. The whole family is a bunch of hypocrites.
I didn't forget about the "birther" issue, but i did forget Melania didn't counter big mouth's Obama lies.

Ok, huckie. :|

Probably by that criteria Obama should have run/gotten a third term.

huck will state he’s joking but this shit keeps coming up more and more to the point where half the country will support / want it to happen.

It really isn't half at all, BEAL. But gerrymandering, and voter suppression make it appear that way.

-------------------------------

Today w the Repugs.... MEGO.

Last edited:

Does anyone actually believe that Trump will be alive in 5 years, much less 9? He's a ticking time bomb.

Does anyone actually believe that Trump will be alive in 5 years, much less 9? He's a ticking time bomb.

Eh, sometimes you'd be surprised at who lasts.

Oh House is voting?
Im outside on public wifi- but rachel just cut out so not sure.

Ok no, voting on - maybe - repug amendment.

Oh, well, the bus wifi doesn't always allow vid streaming or whatever ...

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1205311801212190727?s=21

At least it’s out in the open now. Maybe it’ll be easier to remove these shit heads

Also, what does everyone think of the UK vote ? Does it translate over to the US? Right Wing Populism seems to best Left Wing every time.

Does this scare the “establishment” into backing a Biden even more ? Corbyn seems to have a few more issues than a Warren, and maybe a Bernie. Tho we’ve never really gotten into Bernies closet.

I’m not an expert at all, but while it seems the big issue was Brexit, it also seems that the nationalization of rail, mail, water and electricity, as well as free university and heavy taxes isn’t terribly popular either.

There are only so many parallels that can be drawn — different countries, different histories, different issues — but I think there are some lessons in here.

I can think of one leader of a country who is very happy about this, and it’s neither the orange man nor the man who doesn’t really know how many children he actually has.

Jeremy Corbyn is extra not popular right now because the UK has options and his leadership failed to unite the anti-Brexit vote. The main topic was Brexit, and Corbyn got played by Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party, who only stood elections up in districts where torries weren’t defending. This typically took away some 10-15% of the vote from labor and gave plurality victories to conservatives across the country, hence the massive gains.

So, regarding the massive defeat, it’s because Corbyn did nothing to convince anti-Brexit torries to defect. He effectively supports Brexit.

Yes I would agree that he pulled his party too far left, but that’s because labour is designed to be left of center and the tories are designed to be right of center. People in the UK have options, and Corbyn took away the left of center option. Many of those voters feel more comfortable with their system because they’re not beholden to a leader. They’re beholden to a party. There are left parties... greens etc. who historically have been more relevant than they are now. We don’t have that same luxury, and the UK is losing it too.

I’m not an expert at all, but while it seems the big issue was Brexit, it also seems that the nationalization of rail, mail, water and electricity, as well as free university and heavy taxes isn’t terribly popular either.

There are only so many parallels that can be drawn — different countries, different histories, different issues — but I think there are some lessons in here.

I can think of one leader of a country who is very happy about this, and it’s neither the orange man nor the man who doesn’t really know how many children he actually has.

Nationalisation of key industries actually has quite a strong popularity throughout the country - but this election result is almost entirely on Brexit and getting it done. The Tories had a shit campaign, had no policies other than Brexit, Boris ran away and hid in fridges and yet.

It has just been a thoroughly warped election where it turns out that the debilitating tremors in the British system will only be further exacerbated, I think it's smashed a lot of my preconceptions about having a fully costed, reasonable social democratic program going into an election.

Jeremy Corbyn is extra not popular right now because the UK has options and his leadership failed to unite the anti-Brexit vote. The main topic was Brexit, and Corbyn got played by Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party, who only stood elections up in districts where torries weren’t defending. This typically took away some 10-15% of the vote from labor and gave plurality victories to conservatives across the country, hence the massive gains.

So, regarding the massive defeat, it’s because Corbyn did nothing to convince anti-Brexit torries to defect. He effectively supports Brexit.

Yes I would agree that he pulled his party too far left, but that’s because labour is designed to be left of center and the tories are designed to be right of center. People in the UK have options, and Corbyn took away the left of center option. Many of those voters feel more comfortable with their system because they’re not beholden to a leader. They’re beholden to a party. There are left parties... greens etc. who historically have been more relevant than they are now. We don’t have that same luxury, and the UK is losing it too.

What Corbyn offered WAS a social democratic platform, which may have only seemed radical when you consider just how far to the right British politics had moved. Nationalisation of rail/mail etc. and no student tuition fees are not radical positions.

It's important to mention that Corbyn has had his character continually assassinated (and he's for the most part, an incredibly mild, agreeable man in character) by the right wing press (and even centrist outlets like The Guardian) ever since he was voted in to the leadership which has contributed to his low popularity. The UK media will do this to any Labour leader even vaguely progressive (they did the same to Ed Miliband, who ran on a pretty pedestrian centrist platform in 2015), unless they grovel to the far right tabloids like Blair did.

I'm not exactly sure how much you can apply this result to the US next year, Brexit really is a bizarre concoction.

Anecdotally, I got the sense that a lot of people in the UK were really sick of the status quo and the Brexit quagmire. Boris Johnson was at least seen to have some sort of a definitive plan.

But I totally agree that Brexit is its own beast and doesn't really have an analogy to the US situation.

I do think that impeachment needs to get done quickly. The GOP will let Donald Trump shoot someone on 5th Avenue, so let’s get it done in the house so that he is appropriately reprimanded for his high crimes — the most institutionally irresponsible thing would be to let him get away with it, Russia does not get to do whatever it pleases via its White House asset with no consequences — and then let the senate vote along basic party lines, and then move on with life and get to the job of the 2020 election that will beasically come down to Wisconsin.

Nationalisation of key industries actually has quite a strong popularity throughout the country - but this election result is almost entirely on Brexit and getting it done. The Tories had a shit campaign, had no policies other than Brexit, Boris ran away and hid in fridges and yet.

It has just been a thoroughly warped election where it turns out that the debilitating tremors in the British system will only be further exacerbated, I think it's smashed a lot of my preconceptions about having a fully costed, reasonable social democratic program going into an election.

What Corbyn offered WAS a social democratic platform, which may have only seemed radical when you consider just how far to the right British politics had moved. Nationalisation of rail/mail etc. and no student tuition fees are not radical positions.

It's important to mention that Corbyn has had his character continually assassinated (and he's for the most part, an incredibly mild, agreeable man in character) by the right wing press (and even centrist outlets like The Guardian) ever since he was voted in to the leadership which has contributed to his low popularity. The UK media will do this to any Labour leader even vaguely progressive (they did the same to Ed Miliband, who ran on a pretty pedestrian centrist platform in 2015), unless they grovel to the far right tabloids like Blair did.

I'm not exactly sure how much you can apply this result to the US next year, Brexit really is a bizarre concoction.

I wasn’t calling Labour’s policies “radical,” just rather that there’s a heck of a lot of voters who vote conservative in the UK, and that party has next to no identity. It spans from left center to far right right now. Corbyn has positioned labour to be firmly and soft nationalist. Voters who wanted Brexit in labour didn’t see a clear thesis from him.

By the 90s labour was reinvented as a centrist left party. I’m not saying I disagree with a lot of Corbyn’s views ... stuff like re-nationalizing rail and fixing tuition are things I support. I’m just saying that the people in the UK didn’t have any opportunity to evade him because he occupies the space that their left center is at. So the left had no strong anti-Brexit coalition and he was still an easy Brexit target from the right (he didn’t not not not not not not not want it if you followed his words carefully).

It’s not just character assassination. Corbyn was generally inept in some areas, particularly politics, despite good views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom