US Politics XVII: Yes, squid pro row

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe that Eichenwald has a particularly good grasp of what is going on there. A lot of what is happening right now with Turkey and Syria is posturing. There is nothing countries like to do more than use the Kurds as political bait, and that is what is happening here. I'll believe Trump and Erdogan actually want to throw down in a serious way when I see it. The former is too lazy, and the latter's army is way less impressive than he makes it out to be.

I thought Eichenwald had been proven to be a bit unhinged in a similar way to Louise Mensch etc., so god knows why people still give him air time.

My take is that Trump has a lot of time for Erdogan personally (despite the empty threats about destroying the Turkish economy), and is unintelligent and gullible enough to buy into Turkish nationalist talking points as they are being fed to him. As you said, the Turkish army isn't really all that impressive - and Erdogan did chuck a bunch of key officers in jail after the 2016 coup attempt.

even though the candidate i voted for didn't win, i'm pretty happy with how this election turned out. liberal minority governments when the NDP holds the balance of power have done some really good things here in the past.

Certainly much better than what we have here in Australia. The NDP seem like a better version of our Greens.

Everything I’ve ever said seems to be a copout to you lol. Not sure why that’s a copout.

Anyways. I think it’s really easy to see the atrocities when you live in our society and get our news and reflect upon ourselves. Do you think China has no blood on their hands? Russia? Hundreds of thousands if not millions have been killed at the hands of the Russians in many of the same places that hundreds of thousands if not millions have been killed at the hands of the Americans since the Russian federation was born. Tajikistan? Same rate of death as America in Afghanistan. Chechen wars? Similar to Iraq. But it’s happened twice. So. Other one that comes to mind is india in Kashmir. China more recently has been pacifist.

Nobody talks about Chechnya because it’s not our problem. You’re sounding like the US is the only savage superpower and like it’s abnormal, as though their savagery is somehow morally driven through evil and not more literally self-interest. Proof is in the pudding - other countries do the same thing when their power and influence in their sphere is challenged. Afghanistan is and has been hotly contentious for a solid three decades for a reason.

Really, I’m not defending anyone or giving anyone a pass. I just don’t think there’s a good or an evil here.
We're talking past each other because you're only comparing the United States to China and Russia. There are 200 other countries I'm talking about.

Sure, but to my original point, the more the power, the more the impact. And the more the impact, the faster we are to defining “good” versus “evil.” The US is good to some and evil to others and that’s purely a product of their amount of power and waging it for self interest. Any nation with that type of power would do the same thing, so ultimately I just see the notion of good versus evil as silly. Very few nations actually act out of some morality.

interesting article, some tough truths in here. highlights:

Internal focus groups conducted by Pete Buttigieg’s presidential campaign this summer reveal a key reason why he is struggling with African-American voters: many see his sexuality as a problem.

The 21-page report, conducted by the Benenson Strategy Group with black Democratic South Carolina voters in mid-July and obtained exclusively by McClatchy, found that “being gay was a barrier for these voters, particularly for the men who seemed deeply uncomfortable even discussing it. … [T]heir preference is for his sexuality to not be front and center.”

While the report stated that Buttigieg’s sexuality was not a “disqualifier” for these voters, some of the focus group participants questioned why Buttigieg even brought it up.

“That’s not my thing but I wouldn’t want to know that as a candidate,” said one female participant under 40. “Too much information.”

“I’ll go ahead and say it,” said a male participant. “I don’t like the fact that he threw out there that he lives with his husband.”

[...]

After three 90-minute sessions with a total of 24 uncommitted black voters in Columbia, South Carolina aged 25 to 65, just one — a woman over 40 — said they were considering voting for Buttigieg. Conversely, all but one said they were considering voting for Joe Biden, described in the report as “the clear and dominant front runner” in the state that holds the fourth Democratic nominating contest.

“It’s hard to underestimate the power of the Obama association with these voters,” the report states.

[...]

Of all members of the focus groups, older women were observed to be the most capable of moving past Buttigieg’s sexual orientation, but even they preferred he didn’t make it a focal point.

“I know there’s going to be that one little thing that holds him back,” said a female over 40. “I’m fine with it, to each their own, but … ”

The focus groups also revealed some other potential pitfalls for Buttigieg with these voters, including his relative youth, political inexperience and low name recognition.

“They find it hard to believe that if Barack Obama struggled with Congress, that a young, new face would be able to make progress, especially on issues as tough as racism and inequality,” the report reads.

[...]

“To be honest with you, it’s going to be a problem. I know he knows that because we’ve discussed it,” Cordero said. “My advice to him was, don’t flaunt it. … I’m reluctant to say this for publication, but it’s an important fact.”

It’s blunt advice that’s divergent from what Buttigieg heard from Rev. Al Sharpton, who told him to campaign in the South with his husband “because we have got to break down this barrier, unapologetic.”

Cordero said personal engagement with African-Americans in private settings would be the best way to allay their skepticism.

“Just don’t force it down people’s throats. That was my advice to him,” Cordero said. “Oddly enough he agreed it was not to his advantage to make a big deal out of it.”

“He can change it not overnight but dramatically, that outside of that issue he is a person with integrity and honesty,” Cordero added.

When asked which approach was the correct path for the campaign, Neal said, “I think he should stick to why he’s running for president of the United States. Who he goes home to is not an issue … He’s running for president of the United States, not president of a certain community.”

Former DNC chair Donna Brazile said she believes that black voters have shown to be more tolerant and accepting than most Americans once they get to know the person.

“The mayor must convince these voters of what they share in common versus our vast differences of background, personality or sexual orientation,” Brazile said. “The best place to start is by reminding these voters that he is a person of faith.”

Buttigieg’s faith is one of the topics the campaign tested in the focus groups. For older women, it was “a real winner and pushed them past their doubts,” the campaign found. But some African-American men were more skeptical.

“How can you refer to God when a lot of people think you’re living ungodly? You know what I’m saying,” asked one male participant.

The campaign concluded that a focus on “older women will be our most effective way to make inroads with black South Carolinians.”

[...]

The focus groups were also utilized to drill down on one of the most memorable moments of the primary so far: Kamala Harris’ challenge to Biden’s record on race during the first debate.

Their finding: Black South Carolina voters were less impressed with Harris’ busing retort than white voters in Iowa and New Hampshire. While Harris was seen as “aggressive” by some participants, older women found her attack on Biden offputting.

“Trustworthiness went out the door because [Kamala] will never be on topic with something. She will try to garner that black vote and that black sympathy and speak to us as if we are less,” one woman said.

“Look at where she’s at. Get over yourself. I was a product of busing. It does make me lose respect for her,” added another female over 40.

Young women were confused by the busing topic altogether. “What does she mean by that, actually on a bus or what was she saying?” asked a woman under 40.

Overall, participants credited Biden for remaining composed and liked that he “didn’t stoop to Harris’ level and hit back in the face of an unfair attack.” These African-Americans appeared willing to look past Biden’s flaws due to his connection to Obama.

“When they think about who can beat Trump, these voters go with Biden -- no other name truly surfaced in response to this question,” the Buttigieg report read.

The participants saw Harris as as a potential vice-presidential pick, expressing concern that the U.S. wouldn’t elect a black woman as president.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article236518313.ece

interesting article, some tough truths in here. highlights:

You'll notice the only place he is doing well in primaries is... Iowa.

I believe he had 0% support from African Americans in his state or city or forget which. That is stunning. There is no way he can be the candidate. just no way.

Fuck you Trump

ABC News

President Donald Trump compared the impeachment process to "a lynching" on Twitter Tuesday morning, triggering another political firestorm.

A check of his previous tweets and public statements showed that this appeared to be the first time he has used the term as president.

"So some day, if a Democrat becomes President and the Republicans win the House, even by a tiny margin, they can impeach the President, without due process or fairness or any legal rights," he wrote. "All Republicans must remember what they are witnessing here - a lynching. But we will WIN!"

images.jpeg

"We, however, conducted more than 100 interviews in the course of researching our book All the President’s Women and found that the language and the affairs were not mere aberrations. Since his campaign, Trump has already faced allegations from nearly two dozen women. Our book reveals another 43 allegations, bringing the total to 67 accusations of inappropriate behaviour, including 26 instances of unwanted sexual contact. In short, far from being occasional or accidental, his alleged misconduct with women was regular and widespread. We found that Trump repeatedly and systematically engaged in aggressive sexual pursuit of women over many decades and that his alleged behaviour followed discernible patterns. One of those was a predilection for young models."

Right. Can we be done now? Can he please just resign? Arent we all so sick of him?

View attachment 12335

"We, however, conducted more than 100 interviews in the course of researching our book All the President’s Women and found that the language and the affairs were not mere aberrations. Since his campaign, Trump has already faced allegations from nearly two dozen women. Our book reveals another 43 allegations, bringing the total to 67 accusations of inappropriate behaviour, including 26 instances of unwanted sexual contact. In short, far from being occasional or accidental, his alleged misconduct with women was regular and widespread. We found that Trump repeatedly and systematically engaged in aggressive sexual pursuit of women over many decades and that his alleged behaviour followed discernible patterns. One of those was a predilection for young models."

I mean, he's obviously a horrible person, but that's been blatantly obvious since the start of the 2016 campaign.

The problem is that plenty of people are OK with a horrible person in the White House as long as it works to their advantage. Can they really not see the long term damage he is doing to the country, or do they simply not care?

First off, thank you, Taylor.

Fuck you Trump

ABC News

President Donald Trump compared the impeachment process to "a lynching" on Twitter Tuesday morning, triggering another political firestorm.

A check of his previous tweets and public statements showed that this appeared to be the first time he has used the term as president.

"So some day, if a Democrat becomes President and the Republicans win the House, even by a tiny margin, they can impeach the President, without due process or fairness or any legal rights," he wrote. "All Republicans must remember what they are witnessing here - a lynching. But we will WIN!"

Jesus Christ, Trump, shut the fuck up already. Can somebody please muzzle him at long last? PLEASE?

The more he whines, the guiltier he comes off. That whole "protest too much" thing, and all that.

Anonymous Trump administration person behind that N.Y. Times 0pEd (however long ago that was, time flies when you're having fun) is coming out with a book:corn:

A former SDNY prosecutor said that the case is so solid that if this were a criminal trial, it wouldn’t even get to a trial because there would be a guilty plea.

Sure, but to my original point, the more the power, the more the impact. And the more the impact, the faster we are to defining “good” versus “evil.” The US is good to some and evil to others and that’s purely a product of their amount of power and waging it for self interest. Any nation with that type of power would do the same thing, so ultimately I just see the notion of good versus evil as silly. Very few nations actually act out of some morality.
Amassing that level of power is inherently evil. The things you need to do to get to that point, the things you need to do to maintain it.

I forgot they even had a press secretary. Has she been seen in public in the last several months??

I forgot they even had a press secretary. Has she been seen in public in the last several months??

Oh god no. Just cashing that paycheck for doing... nothing. Trump clearly could and may have written this mess.

This tweet puts in perspective exactly how fucking delusional this statement was.

https://twitter.com/alexwagner/status/1186775030476296192

Just to be clear, the "radical unelected bureaucrats" refers to Bill Taylor, a West Point graduate, Vietnam veteran and Ukrainian ambassador appointed by George W. Bush—who was asked (again) to serve his country by a GOP congressman turned Secretary of State named Mike Pompeo.

Last edited:
Amassing that level of power is inherently evil. The things you need to do to get to that point, the things you need to do to maintain it.

I think you and I are of two entirely different thoughts. You’re personifying something that isn’t alive and doesn’t have feelings or morals.

Lindsey Graham-"This is a lynching in every sense"

Wow, that whole "I'll hold you accountable" nonsense he spewed the other day in regards to the whole Turkey situation sure didn't last long, did it?

I wonder what it's like to walk around without a working spine or brain.

This one is shocking even for this White House. I mean. you wonder how people like this exist.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1186764048953675776

"President Trump is leading the way for the American people by delivering a safer, stronger, and more secure country."

Okay, what the hell kind of drugs are they smoking?

She used to be Melania's press secretary. I guess she appears on Fox news often.

She has an "interesting" past, including two DUI's. One was while she was working on Trump's campaign. And other stories involving plagiarism and more, didn't have time to read all about that.

Anderson Cooper just roasted her on his show for calling the Ukraine story "theater". She said that CNN forgets that she's a human being with a personal life.

Kind of like her boss constantly bullying people and objectifying and abusing and allegedly raping women too. He forgets that women are human beings.

I think you and I are of two entirely different thoughts. You’re personifying something that isn’t alive and doesn’t have feelings or morals.
The military industrial complex is run by people who make the decisions to carry these things out. They are aided and abetted by willing participants in the political realm. There is blood on the hands of many people. I need not personify a thing.

Recall that this is in response to me objecting to someone saying it's offensive to suggest the United States is not a force for good. My response is that a baseline should be high suspicion of US foreign policy, and I think most should land on "outright disgust."

one of the most fun things of the last two days has been watching canadian conservatives coming absolutely unhinged at the notion that their guy could win the popular vote and still lose the election.

one of the most fun things of the last two days has been watching canadian conservatives coming absolutely unhinged at the notion that their guy could win the popular vote and still lose the election.

Canadian Conservatives (specifically at the federal level but also provincially in Ontario) are just incredibly adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by repeatedly nominating losers as party leaders. With all the Trudeau garbage that came out, they should have had a reasonably easy win, but they elected a guy who is sort of like a mix of wallpaper and the creepy dude ogling girls at the food court of a local mall. Heckuva job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom