US Politics XVII: Yes, squid pro row - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #441
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
The issue is that extending work hours, in most workplaces, doesn’t prove to be productive.

Businesses find optimality in trading workforce size with average labor per employee.

Rather than encouraging parents to work longer hours, we should be focused more on getting quality hours out of them, and instead letting them pick their kids up. Less unnecessary government spending that can be used for other things, happier workers, morally less negative.
That's great and all. Let me explain that to my boss

This plan doesn't extend parents work hours. It bases it around a typical 9 to 5 work day (8 am for drop off, 6 pm pick up for the kids - which is exactly what my 5 y/o's $1,700 a month preschool is now).

In a perfect world? Sure - job's should be more flexible with hours and allow parents to come later and leave earlier to get their kids.

That's not reality.

My bosses are actually very reasonable and understanding - and between my salary and my wife's (mostly my wife's) the issue of leaving our kids at preschool until 6 or with the nanny until 6 is doable. Expensive as all fuck, but we're in a place where we can afford it with minimal impact on our day to day. We couldn't afford it in NY anymore - which is why we moved. Alas..

This plan is a common sense approach that will give parents in middle and low income situations a little peace of mind. I see no fault in it whatsoever.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #442
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:31 AM
fox news is much more concerned with mormon murders in mexico than what election?

Old 11-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #443
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Just so you know what we are up against:

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/pen...-he-was-wrong/
Lord.

I'd like to hope they look back on these comments one day and realize how utterly stupid they sound, but...yeah.

On a positive note, YAY at all the Democratic wins across the country yesterday . Please, God, let this be a sign of what to expect next year.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #444
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 09:31 PM
This picture of Moscow Mitch on CNN looks way too much like Palpatine.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #445
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
So the Bill Taylor testimony is pretty... wow. I mean, you can't get more straight-forward than this.

Bill Taylor: "President Trump did insist that President Zelensky go to a microphone and say he is opening investigations of Biden and 2016 election interference, and that President Zelensky should want to do this himself."

Bill Taylor: "All that the OMB staff person said was that the directive had come from the President ... In an instant, I realized that one of the key pillars of our strong support for Ukraine was threatened. The irregular policy channel was running contrary to" U.S. policy goals.

"As Ambassador Sondland was preparing for a call between President Trump and President Zelensky on June 28, 2019, he 'cut out' the regular interagency participants and 'requested that the call not be transcribed.'"

Q: So if they don't do this, they are not going to get that was your understanding?
TAYLOR: Yes, sir.
Q: Are you aware that quid pro quo literally means this for that?
TAYLOR: I am.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #446
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Beshear did great for a Dem virtually everywhere in KY, but the one region most responsible for Bevin's defeat was Northern Kentucky.

Here's pro-Dem margin shift from 2015:

Boone Co.: +21.1%
Kenton Co.: +19.9%
Campbell Co: +18.5%

Statewide: +9.4%
Old 11-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #447
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Beshear did great for a Dem virtually everywhere in KY, but the one region most responsible for Bevin's defeat was Northern Kentucky.

Here's pro-Dem margin shift from 2015:

Boone Co.: +21.1%
Kenton Co.: +19.9%
Campbell Co: +18.5%

Statewide: +9.4%

Hoping this indicates good things for Ohio next year.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #448
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I take it you don't have kids.A thousand percent.

I haven't found the actual bill but just read a few articles on the proposal. It's not actually extending the school day, rather looking to establish a sort of "aftercare for all" program - which is an unbelievably good idea, and one that will resonate with every single household where both parents work.

The only shame of it is that it's coming from a candidate who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.
No kids, and I think it's a really good idea. One less big stressor!
Maybe one of the others will run with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I would add to this — Bevin was hated because he was trying to dismantle the ACA in a state where it had actually been implemented really well, thanks to a blue governor.

I know the ACA killed the D’s in the 2010 midterms. Because change is scary.

But now, 10 years later, it’s popular. Preserving and expanding the ACA is what won the 2018 midterms for the D’s.

And that’s what will win in 2020. Obamacare. Making it bigger and making it work better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
It’s not that it’s close in the suburbs. It isn’t. Trump is getting crushed in the suburbs. It’s that the suburbs are home to lots and lots of voters, reliable voters, and they tend to be increasingly socially liberal and don’t love guns, they are more conomically conservative because they tend to have good jobs and health care — and they hate Trumps vile, rape-y demeanor. It’s continuing to run up the score in the suburbs that’s inportant for 2020.
Interesting.

Quote:
Here's another blue wave tidbit i ran across that backs up even more of what you are saying

https://twitter.com/johndissauer/sta...93119190675456
Hah!
Quote:
The issue is that extending work hours, in most workplaces, doesn’t prove to be productive.

Businesses find optimality in trading workforce size with average labor per employee.

Rather than encouraging parents to work longer hours, we should be focused more on getting quality hours out of them, and instead letting them pick their kids up. Less unnecessary government spending that can be used for other things, happier workers, morally less negative.
Sorry i don't remember who, but i read a few days ago about some company experimenting with a 6 hour work day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
That tweet has been deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post

On a positive note, YAY at all the Democratic wins across the country yesterday . Please, God, let this be a sign of what to expect next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
This picture of Moscow Mitch on CNN looks way too much like Palpatine.

QUICK, someone grab the Photoshop!
...remove glasses, add wrinkles, and black hood, outfit.
Now, where is Sicy when we need her? I believe it was she who said...

"I'm bored. Give me something to photoshop. "

Senate Republicans consider including Bidens in Trump impeachment trial
Rachael Bade, Robert Costa 6 hrs ago

Arg. More smoke, and mirrors!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #449
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
Kamala Harris just released a breathtakingly stupid proposal to increase the length of the school day in order to reduce productivity losses for parents at work. Just reading it has me looking for the nearest window to toss my computer out of.

So exactly what do you have against computers?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #450
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

It truly never, ever, ever ends. It's like digging in a landfill, you just keep hitting globs of smelly trash.

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...33194482700291

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...33933846138880

https://twitter.com/dfriedman33/stat...25010116333568
Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
That's great and all. Let me explain that to my boss

This plan doesn't extend parents work hours. It bases it around a typical 9 to 5 work day (8 am for drop off, 6 pm pick up for the kids - which is exactly what my 5 y/o's $1,700 a month preschool is now).
It’s not a matter of explaining it to your boss. It’s a matter of leadership promoting it with facts and research, similar to how Jeb tried to promote a six day work week (@40 hours). What I’m talking about is a 32 hour work week.

So instead of pumping money into a brand new system, why don’t we reinvent what society calls a work week? No new money spent, happier workers, more productive workers, more energized workers.

https://www.inc.com/tom-popomaronis/...happiness.html

Quote:
In a perfect world? Sure - job's should be more flexible with hours and allow parents to come later and leave earlier to get their kids.

That's not reality.

My bosses are actually very reasonable and understanding - and between my salary and my wife's (mostly my wife's) the issue of leaving our kids at preschool until 6 or with the nanny until 6 is doable. Expensive as all fuck, but we're in a place where we can afford it with minimal impact on our day to day. We couldn't afford it in NY anymore - which is why we moved. Alas..

This plan is a common sense approach that will give parents in middle and low income situations a little peace of mind. I see no fault in it whatsoever.

It’s not a common sense approach. It’s a needless system that further cements “grueling pace” to american working society, which favors brawn to brain.

It’s silly that you’re shrugging off a culture change as totally far fetched, and meanwhile promoting a system that would (1) make republicans heads explode and (2) put more new money (if any at all) into our public education system, as opposed to closing the tremendous gaps in it that already exist.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #452
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post

Sorry i don't remember who, but i read a few days ago about some company experimenting with a 6 hour work day.

Yup, it was Microsoft (but in Japan).
Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #453
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #454
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yow. I hadn't seen this
And this is from the Trump friendly witness

https://twitter.com/RepSwalwell/stat...01363757326336
Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #455
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So with all the attention on Kentucky and Virginia,

I think many are missing how this was actually a real blue wave that went through last night

State Senates /Houses that flipped to blue last night

Colorado
Maine
Washington
Connecticut
New York
Minnesota House
New Hampshire House and Senate
Virginia House and Senate
Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #456
Blue Crack Supplier

Woah.

i thot (my State) NYS (Asdmbly,Snt) had turned blue last year? I remember being happy something had changed for the better. Unless it was that most of the "the dinos" that got kicked out!

A "trumpyear" is sooo much longer than the usual 365!
Old 11-07-2019, 01:45 AM   #457
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
A "trumpyear" is sooo much longer than the usual 365!
Earlier this evening, my mom and I had somehow gotten on the discussion of when Omarosa worked at the White House (remember that?), and just the mention of that had me thinking about how that seemed an eternity ago. I don't know how this administration has managed to warp time as it has, but somehow they've done it. I'm fully convinced I've aged twenty years throughout this presidency.

Quote:
It truly never, ever, ever ends. It's like digging in a landfill, you just keep hitting globs of smelly trash.

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...33194482700291

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...33933846138880

https://twitter.com/dfriedman33/stat...25010116333568
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at how utterly inept these morons are.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #458
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
It’s not a matter of explaining it to your boss. It’s a matter of leadership promoting it with facts and research, similar to how Jeb tried to promote a six day work week (@40 hours). What I’m talking about is a 32 hour work week.

So instead of pumping money into a brand new system, why don’t we reinvent what society calls a work week? No new money spent, happier workers, more productive workers, more energized workers.

https://www.inc.com/tom-popomaronis/...happiness.html

It’s not a common sense approach. It’s a needless system that further cements “grueling pace” to american working society, which favors brawn to brain.

It’s silly that you’re shrugging off a culture change as totally far fetched, and meanwhile promoting a system that would (1) make republicans heads explode and (2) put more new money (if any at all) into our public education system, as opposed to closing the tremendous gaps in it that already exist.
I'm not shrugged off anything. I'm looking at things realistically.

The companies that would be most open to the kind of culture change that you're talking about are also the ones who pay enough where aftercare and beforecare pricing is an inconvenience, not a burden.

Lower paying and hourly jobs won't change without government mandate - which isn't happening. These are the people that are impacted greatly by high child care costs. These are the people who will benefit from a program like this.

And what would a 32 hour work week do to solve this issue anyways? So the parent leaves at 3/3:30. Great. School lets out at 3. In some cases 2/2:30. There's still a care gap there - where either the kid will head home to an empty house, or depending on the age, need to stay at school in some sort of for pay programing.

The person works only 4 days a week instead? Great. Still need that expensive aftercare for 4 days.

This is a real problem that is not discussed as nobody thinks about it until they have kids - and even then it's not as big and shiny and obvious as pre K child care - and cutting the work week does not immediately solve the issue whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #459
Blue Crack Addict

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-about-n889071
Old 11-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #460
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The companies that would be most open to the kind of culture change that you're talking about are also the ones who pay enough where aftercare and beforecare pricing is an inconvenience, not a burden.

Lower paying and hourly jobs won't change without government mandate - which isn't happening. These are the people that are impacted greatly by high child care costs. These are the people who will benefit from a program like this.

i hope we haven't all tossed our computers out the window.

Quote:
One reason poor children learn and retain less than affluent children is that they get less support outside school. Kamala Harris has introduced a bill to give public schools that serve large numbers of low-income students extra funding to stay open during after-school hours and during the (many) days when schools are closed but workplaces are not.

The bill, a classic piece of liberal social reform, is perhaps less interesting than the unhinged reaction it immediately provoked from the left. “Kamala Harris’s proposal to provide after-school care to kids so parents can be more productive workers is neoliberalism distilled,” writes Brendan O’Connor for Vice. Albert Burneko, writing at the Outline, offers the considered opinion, “Fuck a Longer School Day.” These takes, both rendered in column form, are actually more carefully considered than the ragefest that broke out on Twitter.

What’s wrong with funding programs to increase enrichment for low-income students? O’Connor explains that the real problem is that working-class parents have to spend too many hours at work, and designing school schedules to accommodate their needs would “accelerate the already existing neoliberal response.” The real solution is to redesign working life so that parents don’t need schools to do anything for their kids after 3:15 p.m.

It’s certainly true that the left has long advocated a shorter working day and more vacation time. But even blue-sky left-wingers tend to settle on an eight-hour day as a standard, with vacation schedules still much shorter than what most schools use. Even in a world where President Bernie Sanders has successfully carried out his political revolution and mobilized a militant labor movement that encompasses the entire private-sector labor force, there is still going to be a large gap between the schedules most working parents deal with and what their local school is offering. To demand Harris address this entirely through workplace reforms is to demand she institute not only a maximum eight-hour day, but also end work for parents around 2:30 or so, plus a full day off every day school is out that isn’t a national holiday (there are a lot of them), plus ten weeks or so over the summer.

Harris’s plan is not only designed to provide child care, but to provide actual enrichment for kids — physical activity, reading, tutoring, and other beneficial activities that affluent parents can pay for through camps, private programs, babysitters, and tutors. This objective is also part of what rankles Harris’s critics. Burneko sneers at the goal of “wrangling and suppressing the emergent anarchism of 30 little kids into a job-saving standardized test results curve.”

Maybe low-income parents actually want their children to learn more, perform better in school, and have a better chance at a middle-class job? Too bad. They shouldn’t want that, Burneko argues: “Fuck school! Have you been to a school lately? Schools are prison-like, security-choked nightmares, even good ones.” Well, okay.

Harris Admits Evil Neoliberal Scheme To Educate Poor Kids