US Politics XVI: Where the record player stays on all night - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 07:02 AM   #841
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Also under Assad their future will be uncertain, but they hope it won't be worse than what they would face under Turkey's rule. Thousands of casualties and maybe all for nothing.

They'd be subjugated under Assad (although there would be the chance that Assad might allow autonomy) but Erdogan seeks the full on ethnic cleansing of the Kurdish people, to completely eradicate any possibility of autonomy/self rule.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #842
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:31 PM
I bet Trump loves the video

NY Times
Updated Oct. 14, 2019, 12:03 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON — A video depicting a macabre scene of a fake President Trump shooting, stabbing and brutally assaulting members of the news media and his political opponents was shown at a conference for his supporters at his Miami resort last week, according to footage obtained by The New York Times.

Several of Mr. Trump’s top surrogates — including his son Donald Trump Jr., his former spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis — were scheduled to speak at the three-day conference, which was held by a pro-Trump group, American Priority, at Trump National Doral Miami. Ms. Sanders and a person close to Mr. Trump’s son said on Sunday that they did not see the video at the conference.

The video, which includes the logo for Mr. Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign, comprises a series of internet memes. The most violent clip shows Mr. Trump’s head superimposed on the body of a man opening fire inside the “Church of Fake News” on parishioners who have the faces of his critics or the logos of media organizations superimposed on their bodies. It appears to be an edited scene of a church massacre from the 2014 dark comedy film “Kingsman: The Secret Service.”

The disclosure that the video was played shows how Mr. Trump’s anti-media language has influenced his supporters and bled into their own propaganda. Mr. Trump has made attacks on the news media a mainstay of his presidency, and he tweeted a similar — but far less violent video — in 2017. In recent weeks as he has confronted impeachment proceedings, he has ramped up his attacks on the news media, repeatedly calling it the “enemy of the people.”

A person who attended the conference last week took a video of the clip on his phone and had an intermediary send it to a reporter for The Times. Parts of the video were posted on YouTube in 2018 by a user with a history of creating pro-Trump mash-ups.

The organizer of the event said in a statement on Sunday that the clip had been played at the conference, saying it was part of a “meme exhibit.” He denounced the video and said his organization was looking into how it was shown at the event.

“Content was submitted by third parties and was not associated with or endorsed by the conference in any official capacity,” said the organizer, Alex Phillips. “American Priority rejects all political violence and aims to promote a healthy dialogue about the preservation of free speech. This matter is under review.”

Organizers declined to say exactly where at Mr. Trump’s resort the video was shown.

A person close to Mr. Trump’s son said he was unaware that the video had been played at the conference. Ms. Sanders said she was unaware of the video’s existence until a Times reporter contacted her.

“I was there to speak at a prayer breakfast, where I spoke about unity and bringing the country together,” Ms. Sanders said. “I wasn’t aware of any video, nor do I support violence of any kind against anyone.

A spokesman for Mr. Trump’s campaign said he knew nothing about the video.

“That video was not produced by the campaign, and we do not condone violence,” said Tim Murtaugh, the spokesman.

A DeSantis spokeswoman did not respond to an email seeking comment.

The video depicts a scene inside the “Church of Fake News,” where parishioners rise as Mr. Trump — dressed in a black pinstripe suit and tie — walks down the aisle. Many parishioners’ faces have been replaced with the logos of news media organizations, including PBS, NPR, Politico, The Washington Post and NBC.

Mr. Trump stops in the middle of the church, pulls a gun out of his suit jacket pocket and begins a graphic rampage. As the parishioners try to flee, the president fires at them. He shoots Black Lives Matter in the head, and also shoots Vice News.

Some of those in the church try to apprehend Mr. Trump. He fends them off and makes his way toward the altar, knocking over several pews. He wrestles a parishioner with a Vice News logo as a face to the ground and then shoots the person at point blank range. In the background, the former F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, is seen trying to get away.

From there, Mr. Trump attacks a range of his critics. He strikes the late Arizona senator John McCain in the back of the neck. He hits the television personality Rosie O’Donnell in the face and then stabs her in the head. He strikes Representative Maxine Waters, Democrat of California. He lights the head of Senator Bernie Sanders, a Democratic presidential rival, on fire.

He takes Senator Mitt Romney, Republican of Utah, hostage before throwing him to the ground. Then he strikes former President Barack Obama in the back and throws him against a wall.

Others shown in the video include Mika Brzezinski of MSNBC; former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton; former President Bill Clinton; the film producer Harvey Weinstein; and Representative Adam B. Schiff, the California Democrat who as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee is overseeing an impeachment inquiry of Mr. Trump.

The clip ends with Mr. Trump putting a stake into the head of a person with a CNN logo for a face. Mr. Trump then stands on the altar, admiring his rampage, and smiles.

The video is similar in style to one Mr. Trump tweeted in July 2017, in which he is shown at a wrestling match body slamming CNN’s logo and beating it up. The president was roundly criticized for encouraging violence against journalists by posting that clip, but his supporters enjoyed it, and helped make the tweet viral.

Throughout his 2016 campaign and presidency, Mr. Trump has sought to demonize the news media, partly out of frustration about the coverage of his administration and partly because he likes to have an opponent to target. Mr. Trump has also sought to undermine confidence in the mainstream media, some of his advisers acknowledge privately, to make people doubt the accuracy of less favorable accounts of what goes on in his administration.

The president said at a rally on Friday that there was an “unholy alliance of corrupt Democrat politicians, deep-state bureaucrats and the fake news media.”

Old 10-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #843
Blue Crack Addict

I watched a show last night on FX about Giuliani. It was eerie, the similarities between Rudy and Trump. Especially during Rudy's second term as mayor-before he was temporarily "redeemed" by 9/11.

In one of the Democratic debates in 2008 Biden said Guiliani was unqualified to be President and compared him to W Bush. Then he said that all Giuliani had was a noun, verb, and 9/11. Rudy was furious and just like Trump he needs to seek revenge for any perceived slight. All narcissists do.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #844
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:31 AM
So what I'm gathering from the leaks of what Sondolan is going to say is this:

Either he is going to blatantly lie, or he is one of the most clueless, naive, inept and stone cold stupid humans to ever live...

I'm leaning toward the former.

Really? You're really going to say I had no idea what the reason was for the 400 million in aid being held back? Seriously Mr. "Call Me"? Mr. "Let's continue this off text"?
Wasn't this the same guy that specifically told Ron Johnson that there WAS a quid pro quo? That may be a small issue with your statement sir.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #845
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

They’re the damn mob

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...905744896?s=21
Old 10-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #846
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
He's done it before. I think he fancies himself a tough guy. Problem is that he's a monumental moron. Like deeply stupid. ie. "Malicious Captain Kangaroo" comment And is viewed as a clown by anyone with a brain.

Surely to have this tweeted by Trump as Shifty Schiff throwing out GOP reps from testimony. The common thread... Also a complete moron.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #847
Blue Crack Addict

Matt Gaetz is embarrassing
Old 10-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #848
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

wow. sooooo... not just Russia, Saudi Arabia, and a host of other countries interfering with the 2020 election. But now the platform that reaches more than any other in the world is a tool of the right...

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...89521751724032
Old 10-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #849
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status...29951683633155

These fucking idiots.

The testimony and hearing are not "secret" forever dumbasses! This is an investigation. If the police are interviewing and interrogating people about a crime. They do it all separately and keep all the facts sealed so that witnesses can't get their stories lined up with each other. THAT'S how investigations work.
The information that is being heard now, in private, will be unsealed and told during the trial in the Senate. That is when the public and the members of the Legislative branches who haven't been a part of the inquiry will hear all the information. Not before then.

I seriously can't see why this isn't being pushed back on more by the media with these fools.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #850
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
wow. sooooo... not just Russia, Saudi Arabia, and a host of other countries interfering with the 2020 election. But now the platform that reaches more than any other in the world is a tool of the right...

Stuff like this makes me glad I haven't ventured onto my Facebook account in years now. I really should just up and delete it at this point.

On a different topic:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/ted-c...185334601.html

Quote:
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Sunday denounced President Donald Trump’s decision earlier this month to publicly urge China to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, a front-runner in the Democratic presidential primary race.

Asked during an interview Sunday with CBS’ “Face The Nation” whether he believes it’s appropriate for Trump to ask China to open such a probe, Cruz stammered for a few moments before saying “of course not.”

“Elections in the U.S. should be decided by Americans and it’s not the business of foreign countries ― any foreign countries ― to be interfering in our elections,” he said.
Now if only I could just be assured that he and the other Republicans criticizing Trump like this will actually put their money where their mouths are should it come time for the Senate to potentially convict Trump.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #851
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Mark has been a bad actor in all of this for a long time. Notice when conservatives don't like something on his platform he apologizes immediately. When Liberals don't like something, he basically attacks them (like going after Warren).

He's failed to answer any questions about 2016 meddling despite being caught with bad actors (Trump Campaign, Cambridge Analytics, etc)
Old 10-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #852
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/will_bunch/statu...378076672?s=21
Old 10-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #853
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Stuff like this makes me glad I haven't ventured onto my Facebook account in years now. I really should just up and delete it at this point.

On a different topic:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/ted-c...185334601.html

Now if only I could just be assured that he and the other Republicans criticizing Trump like this will actually put their money where their mouths are should it come time for the Senate to potentially convict Trump.
oh yeah. I got off Facebook about 2 years ago. Very freeing.
Also dumped Twitter in 2016. Couldn't take the cesspool that it is. Now i just look up a few specific people who were amazingly knowledgeable on all things political.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #854
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Fiona Hill testified for 10 hours.
One congressman there said she was the most substantive witness he had ever seen in his years of doing this. Said she had near photographic memory. And that Republicans whining about the testimony being behind closed doors are damn lucky the American people aren't hearing what's being said.

Yovanovitch and Hill. Bosses!
Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #855
Blue Crack Addict

https://www.rudaw.net/english/middle...LLxp9egCRBRITU

Heckuva job, deplorables.

Quote:
A senior Kurdish politician in northeastern Syria was killed by an as of yet undetermined party as fighting between Turkish and Kurdish forces continues. The political wing of Kurdish-led forces in the area have since claimed her killers were "Turkish-backed" mercenaries.

Havrin Khalaf was Secretary General of the Future Syria Party, and known for her leadership on women’s rights. She was killed when her car was struck on the road to Qamishli on Saturday.

Rudaw's reporter in Qamishli said initial indications were that her car was hit by Turkish forces. The Syrian Democratic Council (SDC), the political wing of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northeast Syria, also blamed Turkey for her death.

In her role, Khalaf prioritized women's issues in the autonomous corner of Syria.. Last month, she attended a forum of tribal women in Tabqa, Syria, where she expressed pride in the progress women have made in northeastern Syria under the Kurdish-led administration.

This "huge gathering of women is evidence that women have been able to get out of the shell or cease hiding behind their mask," she told ANHA at the first of its kind event.
But thank God Trump is sending soldiers to Saudi Arabia, where women still need permission from a male relative to travel abroad, not to mention the 8903490 other demeaning things they are exposed to on a daily basis.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #856
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
One congressman there said she was the most substantive witness he had ever seen in his years of doing this. Said she had near photographic memory. And that Republicans whining about the testimony being behind closed doors are damn lucky the American people aren't hearing what's being said.

I don’t get why these are behind closed doors. The Nixon impeachment hearings were in the public and is what swayed the opinion of voters

Behind closed doors allows Trump and GOP to drive the narrative of lies
Old 10-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #857
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don’t get why these are behind closed doors. The Nixon impeachment hearings were in the public and is what swayed the opinion of voters

We just haven’t gotten there yet. It’ll happen when it moves past the Inquiry stage.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #858
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I’m happy that it is. If the full hearing was out there. 10 hours. The public would be overwhelmed, wouldn’t take the time. So many pieces of it would flood the news, the public would tune out. Especially when there are now one or two testimonies a day.
This ain’t the 70’s. People don’t just sit down and watch the 6 o’clock news with their trusted news anchor. Now it’s bombarded 24-7 and it is spun and twisted and shit out.

This is probably the smartest things the Dems have done. Show the line up of who is testifying, come out and say how incredible the testimony was. Little leaks come out that make for splashy simple headlines that hit the public and stick. And leaves them thinking. Hell if they testified for 10 hours. What else must they have said?!?!

And in the meantime, witnesses can’t line up their stories. AND Trump can’t tear down the witnesses (as much) when he doesn’t know all that they said.

I’d say it’s working better than I had imagined. This week is pretty blockbuster
Old 10-15-2019, 12:00 AM   #859
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

And right on cue. The leak that makes the big splashy headlines that would have been lost on the public if there was 10 hours of an open hearing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/peterbake...36219631280128
Old 10-15-2019, 12:57 AM   #860
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
oh yeah. I got off Facebook about 2 years ago. Very freeing.
Also dumped Twitter in 2016. Couldn't take the cesspool that it is. Now i just look up a few specific people who were amazingly knowledgeable on all things political.
I was about to sign up for Twitter, but never followed through on it. Even if I did, though, I'd just keep my list of people I followed as small as possible.

Quote:

Wonderful. Sing away, ladies.

And on that note...

Quote:
And right on cue. The leak that makes the big splashy headlines that would have been lost on the public if there was 10 hours of an open hearing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/peterbake...36219631280128
Dear God, we really are living in Bizarro World, aren't we?