US Politics XVI: Where the record player stays on all night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say I could do better? She’s dangering on having everything she’s done so far backfire on her if she turns into a meme. And she’s heading that way.

yes, because the tactic of politely asking world leaders if they could maybe please start to think about looking into doing something so that entire generations of humanity don't suffer has been working so well to this point.

of course i did. she was dramatic and passionate, but it was clearly genuine, and now people are talking about her speech tonight just like we are. if she went up there and gave some measured polite speech full of stats about carbon emissions or something everyone would have forgotten about it within an hour. we've been hearing that broken record now since before al gore got super cereal.

i think she's friggin' awesome and i hope she does indeed become a meme that spawns a million more pissed off greta thunbergs. lord knows we need something new (that isn't a natural disaster of record scale) to really get people's attention.

also keep in mind that you're criticizing a 15 year old autistic girl for acting a bit too passionate when she's giving a speech to the UN general assembly and an audience of millions worldwide.

Last edited:
??*♂️ if you say so. I found that to be incredibly manufactured and pouty and I think it was a far cry from convincing. I just imagined a bunch of UN leaders sitting with their palms on their cheeks wondering why this little girl was yelling at them.

Just because she’s right and she’s passionate doesn’t mean it’s effective.

??*♂️ if you say so. I found that to be incredibly manufactured and pouty and I think it was a far cry from convincing. I just imagined a bunch of UN leaders sitting with their palms on their cheeks wondering why this little girl was yelling at them.

Just because she’s right and she’s passionate doesn’t mean it’s effective.

Something to remember is that she isn't really there to speak to the old as fuck rich, powerful guys in the room.
She went from walking out on her own last year to a 4 million person walk out this year.
I was thrilled when i hit 1000 twitter followers.

Her real audience is the tens of millions of young people that will be old enough to vote this coming election or the next, and this issue and gun violence is going to be a game changer over the next decade. And just as every other social wedge issue, Republicans will be on the losing end. She is inspiring regular people. Not politicians. They will only see that when they lose their jobs in the coming years.

If she had no intention of ever impeaching him, would she be acting different than she has to this point in time ?

This is the week it has to happen. If not, Dems have to remove her or accept that Trump will win

Fuck yes.

I think the biggest mistake being made is the timing. If these idiots would just jump to impeachment when the issue breaks, then they would have much more standing.

After Mueller report - do it
after Mueller testimony - do it!
2 weeks ago when the stories broke about the hundreds of hotel stays and millions spent at Trump hotels - Do it immediately!!
Now the whistle blower - Do it this fucking week. People get this. It's simple. Its not a 500 page report with double negatives of why Trump couldn't be criminally charged. Its as straight forward as it gets.

But this is what most likely will happen.
Pelosi folds once again. Dem electorate becomes annoyed and doubtful of the party and enthusiasm sinks.
Biden story does just enough damage to his numbers that he loses Iowa and NH, and performs worse than expected in SC. Downhill slide from there. Trumps most feared opponent gone, without any foreign assistance yet.

Then eastern european countries wanting to ensure their financial aid from Trump, jump into election interference, along with Saudis, Russians, etc... Whoever does win over Biden will be torn down to shreds by trolls that will make 2016 look like a day at the spa.

Trump will openly and secretly request foreign interference as the Dems stand by and say, oh there he goes again!! That rascal, is so unconventional and his ethics are just in the toilet. But there is SO much more that brings us together than divides us. :|

mark my words...

Something to remember is that she isn't really there to speak to the old as fuck rich, powerful guys in the room.

She went from walking out on her own last year to a 4 million person walk out this year.

I was thrilled when i hit 1000 twitter followers.

Her real audience is the tens of millions of young people that will be old enough to vote this coming election or the next, and this issue and gun violence is going to be a game changer over the next decade. And just as every other social wedge issue, Republicans will be on the losing end. She is inspiring regular people. Not politicians. They will only see that when they lose their jobs in the coming years.

I suppose so regarding the audience she’s speaking to. I’m just fearful of the message being lost because of the way she’s going to be portrayed by the opposition.

of course i did. she was dramatic and passionate, but it was clearly genuine, and now people are talking about her speech tonight just like we are. if she went up there and gave some measured polite speech full of stats about carbon emissions or something everyone would have forgotten about it within an hour. we've been hearing that broken record now since before al gore got super cereal.

i think she's friggin' awesome and i hope she does indeed become a meme that spawns a million more pissed off greta thunbergs. lord knows we need something new (that isn't a natural disaster of record scale) to really get people's attention.

also keep in mind that you're criticizing a 15 year old autistic girl for acting a bit too passionate when she's giving a speech to the UN general assembly and an audience of millions worldwide.

And important not to omit the fact that English is her second language, which makes what she's doing all the more impressive. Her speeches in English aren't going to be as natural and as fluid as they would be in her native tongue.

I fully agree that the Democrats can't keep sitting on their hands with this whistleblower stuff. Hell, you've got all the evidence you need in the interviews and tweets where Trump, Giuliani, et al are openly admitting to doing this stuff, because they don't know how to shut their stupid mouths. Just play that stuff during the impeachment hearings, and broadcast it on every news channel imaginable so that everyone can see it and let their words speak for themselves. I think most Americans would be on the Democrats' side at this point-Trump's approval ratings are hideously abysmal, after all, and no way would any sane American be even remotely comfortable with a president being allowed to do this.

But even if Americans aren't on board with impeachment, for whatever reason? At this point it doesn't fucking matter. Democrats need to do what's right for the country instead of worry about what option works best for their election chances. Trump needs to finally be held accountable for the shit he's doing for once. Somebody needs to get in there and force him and his cronies to come to the hearings, to be made to testify, to hand over all the stuff they've been subpoenaed to hand over, and all of this should end with them being kicked out of office and either being sent to prison or barred from ever holding any kind of political office ever again or things of that sort.

I just don't know what the hell else needs to happen at this point. What does it have to take to finally take Trump down and get him the hell out of here?

(All of the above being said, I think the media and others need to start holding the Republicans' feet to the fire, too. Because it's them that will ultimately need to do the conviction part of things, and we know full well they're not likely do to that because god forbid they grow a spine or a conscious and rebel against Trump. So people need to remind voters of where they've fallen down in their duty to this country as well.)

I suppose so regarding the audience she’s speaking to. I’m just fearful of the message being lost because of the way she’s going to be portrayed by the opposition.

the opposition has been portraying her that way for quite a while now, go look up the shit the british tabloids were saying about her when she visited the UK earlier this year. the fact that she's not tempering her approach in spite of it is inspiring in its own way. it's literally an existential crisis, for fucks sakes. someone needs to start yelling.

President Trump told his acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, to hold back almost $400 million in military aid for Ukraine at least a week before a phone call in which Trump is said to have pressured the Ukrainian president to investigate the son of former vice president Joe Biden, according to three senior administration officials.

gross abuse of power.

if this is not impeachable, nothing is.

what are you waiting for, dems? and what the fuck are you defending, GOP?

and why did we get to the point where he feel she can withhold tax payer funds approved by congress for aid to a foreign state against an enemy of the united states in exchange for dirt against his political opponents (btw - just think of that for a second)? Because he took aid from the same enemy of the state and the democrats fucking let him get away with it because it "wasn't politically prudent" to impeach. so now he feels he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

and he's right.

slippery slope is slippery.

Last edited:
She’s been attacked for a while. I wasn’t aware of the “mentally ill” angle until recently

I had only seen the “left’s puppet” or some other form of talking head for the global left elitist.

What a world we live in where we just shit on a teenager for wanting a better planet and life for all

EFPT2YAUcAA1aXR

I'm a bit confused. They just showed Cummings addressing Congress saying that they have tried all other avenues, but the time for a formal impeachment investigation has come...

Does that mean it's happening, or just his opinion?

i am absolutely baffled where you're getting this notion from that the attacks on her are just starting now.

Because some quiet mockery is not the same thing as enlisting dumbletrump’s army of interweb trolls. This is going to reinforce the notion that climate is a political topic and that people have “beliefs” which matter. Poke the beast, now people who simply didn’t care will start actively picking sides.

dude the attacks on her hasn't been anything remotely close to "quiet mockery", but i'm not going to make an effort to carry on this conversation if you're not going to bother informing yourself a bit before doubling down.

dude the attacks on her hasn't been anything remotely close to "quiet mockery", but i'm not going to make an effort to carry on this conversation if you're not going to bother informing yourself a bit before doubling down.

You’re the one aggressively coming at me... womanfish is convincing, you’re just angrily posting at me. Consider that. I’m not “doubling down.” I haven’t “not taken the time to inform myself.” You’re refusing to even consider what I’m saying.

You’re refusing to even consider what I’m saying.

because what you're saying is factually incorrect and literally all you need to do to confirm that is spend less than 30 seconds on her wikipedia page. sorry but it's frustrating to carry on a conversation when all it would take is for the other person to do that and then you'd both be on the same page.

anyways, i've said my piece and am ready to move on if you are.

Last edited:
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_nh_092419/

Among registered New Hampshire Democrats and unaffiliated voters who are likely to participate in the February 2020 Democratic primary, 27% currently support Warren and 25% support Biden. The only other candidates in double digits are Sanders at 12% and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg at 10%. Others with measurable support are California Sen. Kamala Harris (3%), New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker (2%), Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (2%), Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar (2%), former hedge fund manager Tom Steyer (2%), and entrepreneur Andrew Yang (2%). The remaining 10 candidates included in the poll earn 1% or less.

Compared to Monmouth’s prior New Hampshire poll, which was in May, Warren’s support has grown by 19 points (from 8%) while Biden’s has dropped by 11 points (from 36%). Other candidates who have slipped somewhat are Sanders (down 6 from 18%) and Harris (down 3 from 6%). Buttigieg’s support is about the same as it was four months ago (up one from 9%).

looks like the wind is really in warren's sails now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom