US Politics XVI: Where the record player stays on all night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Between this and the bit Dazz quoted about Trump having dinner with people he claims not to know (a very common thing, as we've seen), I just keep asking myself, do these people truly not get how video and photos work? Did they just completely miss the memo that once something's recorded, especially with social media being what it is nowadays, it's out there forever?

(Speaking of Watergate, by the way, was watching "Through the Decades" earlier tonight and they talked about Spiro Agnew's resignation on this date. For those who may need a reminder of what led to his resignation, he got in trouble for not paying taxes. Just saying.)

Beautiful :applaud:.

Amazing how she’s really pieced it together. A year ago, she looked like she would get mauled on stage. She’s prepared.

She really looks like she is feeling the confidence that has earned through her relentless work. She was one of the first to launch a campaign, and has scraped and scrapped her way to the top of the heap.

I think we also have to remember that she had a full ride debate scholarship to George Washington University. I never thought she couldn't hold her own against Trump.

I think how she has performed in the Dem debates so far has been pretty masterful. She hasn't gone for the cheap hits, she hasn't tried to tear anyone else down proactively. She has given some great sharp responses when needed, and she didn't participate in the Biden pile on, that left several candidates looking foolish. And in doing so she has risen to the top spot.
Good for her.

She really looks like she is feeling the confidence that has earned through her relentless work. She was one of the first to launch a campaign, and has scraped and scrapped her way to the top of the heap.

I think we also have to remember that she had a full ride debate scholarship to George Washington University. I never thought she couldn't hold her own against Trump.

I think how she has performed in the Dem debates so far has been pretty masterful. She hasn't gone for the cheap hits, she hasn't tried to tear anyone else down proactively. She has given some great sharp responses when needed, and she didn't participate in the Biden pile on, that left several candidates looking foolish. And in doing so she has risen to the top spot.

Good for her.

Also, and this is going to sound bad, but she is more likable than Hillary. The deep rooted sexism held people back from supporting Hillary because she seemed like a bitch. Warren has a different presence about her and if Trump makes it that far, if he calls her Pocahontas in a debate, I could actually see her gaining sympathy points.

Also, and this is going to sound bad, but she is more likable than Hillary. The deep rooted sexism held people back from supporting Hillary because she seemed like a bitch. Warren has a different presence about her and if Trump makes it that far, if he calls her Pocahontas in a debate, I could actually see her gaining sympathy points.

Yep, i definitely see exactly what you're saying. She doesn't have the baggage of the Clinton name. And one thing that often bothered me with Clinton was, when she was confronted with a certain type of question or hypothetical, she would often hedge and have to "think about it". Where Warren is so grounded and sure-footed in her philosophy, her plans, herself in general that I don't see her hesitating at all with anything thrown at her.

I keep thinking now as well, that Clinton had to fight against Trump that had NO history with the voters. Or at least no governing or political history. Now, Warren has an arsenal of things that she can easily throw back in his face, for concrete things that has actually done in office. That in itself will make her job much easier.

On top of that, Trump was incredibly successful in labeling her Crooked Hillary and it stuck, and she couldn't escape it. And she didn't help herself at all as she seemed unprepared when confronted time and time again with the email accusations. I don't see the line of attack that Trump has with Warren. Pocahontas aint gonna cut it. She already successfully turned the whole "having sex with a marine" and leaving her job because of pregnancy thing on a complete 180 and used it to her advantage. This gives me confidence.

Last edited:
Yovanovitch has yet to show up... I'm seriously concerned. I really think she will/would be critical. So my guess is she won't.

Update - She's THERE!! Now we will see if she has an attorney with her and she just doesn't say anything or if she will actually talk.

Last edited:
I keep thinking now as well, that Clinton had to fight against Trump that had NO history with the voters. Or at least no governing or political history. Now, Warren has an arsenal of things that she can easily throw back in his face, for concrete things that has actually done in office. That in itself will make her job much easier.

this is an important point. the 2016 campaign reminded me a lot of when a rookie quarterback starts in the NFL and lights it up in his first season because he's got some totally new skill set or playing style that professional defenses and coaches have never seen, so they don't quite know the best way to stop it. but then after a season or two of watching the guy play, the defenses start to figure out how to game plan against his unique style and unless the QB further improves his skills or switches up his style, he's never again as effective as he was in year one.

clinton on stage was like that defensive coordinator trying to figure out how to stop the rookie because he was unprecedented in the history of presidential politics. elizabeth warren is the DC with a game plan for that.

I am not sure if the Trump people are totally delusional about what's happening in the Dem primary, or they are so obsessed with Joe Biden that they can't see or think straight, but Trump was on stage last night calling Hunter Biden a loser who knows nothing and unloading on him in a totally over the top way even for him. If he survives this impeachment clusterfuck, I feel like he'll still be running against Hunter Biden and Hillary Clinton next October even if Warren is the nominee.

Just gonna leave this here, too:

https://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-off...-of-aid-to-ukraine-was-illegal-090046566.html

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon was confused. Hundreds of millions of dollars in military aid to Ukraine had been appropriated in late 2018 by Congress, intended to help fend off aggression by neighboring Russia. But well into 2019, as summer was edging toward autumn, the funds had still not moved.

Department of Defense officials began to worry that the funds would never make it to Ukraine, since the appropriations would expire with the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30. They even began to prepare a legal challenge to the freezing of the funds, leading to an unprecedented fight within the Trump administration.

Since then, the Ukraine affair has turned into an impeachment inquiry that could see President Trump removed from office. But it is also an example of yet another federal agency — this time, the Pentagon — caught off-guard by the president’s political imperatives.

Before impeachment was ever an issue, the military funding for Ukraine seemed a settled matter. In late May, John Rood, an undersecretary of defense for policy, sent a letter to Congress outlining at great length the kinds of weapons, defense systems and other forms of aid Ukraine could expect. Theses included everything from radars to demining vehicles to rifle sights to training for that country’s military.

“Implementation of this further support will begin no sooner than 15 days following this notification,” Rood wrote. He added, a little later in the document, that the U.S. “remains committed” to helping Ukraine “defend its territorial integrity.”

But that commitment would waver drastically in the months to come, causing anxiety and puzzlement both in the Pentagon and on Capitol Hill, and putting military officials into a confrontation with other members of the Trump administration, who were seemingly more intent on carrying out the president’s political goals than in helping a foreign ally.

The Pentagon would not comment on the record for this story. But several congressional aides — all of whom would speak only on the condition of anonymity— provided Yahoo News with details of how, over the summer, officials in the Office of Management and Budget repeatedly stonewalled both Congress and Pentagon officials who wanted to know why funds allocated to Ukraine had not been disbursed.

The State Department was making similar efforts — and encountering similar frustration, suggesting that career diplomats and senior military officers were being challenged by administration officials whose main objection was apparently to satisfy Trump politically.

But hey, Trump totally knows more than the military officers, right, guys?

The entire criminal enterprise around Trump needs to be removed.

The irony of the fire breathing crowd at his rally yesterday screaming "lock them up!" would be unbelievable, except that it's not.

Oh and Turkey nearly bombing our troops.

Thanks trump supporters

Legal question. Can Rudy be greater immunity in exchange for releasing all documents that would result in Trump being indicted? If so, I’d wait till Trump fully turns on Rudy so he’s very pissed off when he gets arrested.

Legal question. Can Rudy be greater immunity in exchange for releasing all documents that would result in Trump being indicted? If so, I’d wait till Trump fully turns on Rudy so he’s very pissed off when he gets arrested.

There’s no non-partisan investigative body that can offer Rudy immunity. This is congress we are talking about.

I'm obviously happy about these court decisions, but aren't they just going to appeal all of it? And doesn't that mean all of it could eventually end up at the Supreme Court, where one Justice John Roberts might be the swing vote that decides all of it?

And I’m sure he will. And I’m sure he’ll do the right thing. It’s embarrassing to think investigators cannot look into financials of an individual they’re investigating for potential financial crimes.

Roberts has no reason to side with Donald Trump. He has a conservative judicial legacy to defend that’s beyond a crook president. If he knows he’s protecting the president, he knows it’s wrong.

No mention of Turkish forces firing on US troops in Northern Syria despite knowing full well where they are actually located? This is very serious and suggests that the Turkish state believes that Trump will capitulate easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom