US Politics XVI: Where the record player stays on all night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it looks like there may be a second whistleblower this time regarding his taxes. Something along the lines where trump pressured the IRS not to look into his financials or something. Lol this guy is one fucked up dude!

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000016d-94d6-dfb2-afef-f7f7b74f0001

The last couple are the best, where the one guy says essentially, no no, you misunderstand the President, there is no quid pro quo, but I suggest we stop the back and forth over texts...

I've read a hell of a lot e-mails related to disclosure and discovery and anyone who thinks that these are nothing is totally out to pasture.

:applaud:

I think it’s been mentioned in here regarding Mueller

But you can’t stop an investigation if Trump keeps committing crimes.

It’s kinda looking like this is the strategy. Dems will want to gather all the facts but it’s an infinite process under Trump

Dems have more than enough.

So after reading the text messages that clearly point out everything that was going on in the whole impeachment process

We can see how the republicans who were in the room with Volker yesterday view it:

From the ever trustworthy Jim Jordan

House Republicans on Thursday said closed-door testimony from Kurt Volker, the former U.S. special envoy for Ukraine, does not support allegations against President Trump that Democrats are using to launch an impeachment inquiry.

“He has said nothing that coincides what the Democrats are saying with their whole impeachment narrative,” said Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio, the top Republican on the House Oversight Committee and a staunch supporter of Trump.

Jordan described Volker as “unbelievably knowledgeable about what was going on in Ukraine,” and he added, “Not one thing he has said comports with any of the Democrats’ impeachment narrative. Not one thing.”

I guess that would include texts like:

"Heard from the White House -- assuming President Z convinces trump he will investigate/'get to the bottom of what happened' in 2016, we will nail down date for visit to Washington,"

and

"Are we now saying that security assistance and WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?" Taylor texted Sondland on September 1.
"Call me," Sondland responded.
A week later, Taylor was even more concerned, texting Sondland: "As I said on the phone, I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign."

See! Nothing at all that fits with the DemocRATS impeachment fantasy. NOT ONE THING!

Last edited:
EGAJ7bCWoAEHsSF

perfect text messages for a perfect phone call.

The GOP strategy at the Congressional hearing today is...to impeach the character of the whistleblower.

Because how can we trust some guy who got his information from who knows where? I mean it isn't as if the President stood on the lawn of the White House yesterday asking Ukraine and China to investigate Biden.

The GOP strategy at the Congressional hearing today is...to impeach the character of the whistleblower.

Because how can we trust some guy who got his information from who knows where? I mean it isn't as if the President stood on the lawn of the White House yesterday asking Ukraine and China to investigate Biden.

Shocking. Love how they are trying to pull this on an IG that was appointed by Trump. He seems to be the only one in this whole thing that did the right thing. He investigated the claim and interviewed people named in the report, and concluded that it was Serious and Urgent.

So he confirmed that the whistleblower was correct and backed up by FIRSTHAND witnesses.

This hearing could be significant today.

Also, what is incredibly sad in all this, Is that (please let this sink in) That the Ukraine and China, showed much more moral standing the president and all his cronies in this whole mess. Ukraine and China. Disgusting.

Also wondering why the CNN reporting of Trump doing the same thing with China on a call with Xi on June 18th is getting NO coverage.
And not only asked about Biden, but also WARREN, which to me is the absolute proof that he is not interested in investigating corruption (which he is claiming as his new defense this morning) because Warren would not fall into that category, even if you believe that the false stories on Biden are in fact not false.

Also wondering why the CNN reporting of Trump doing the same thing with China on a call with Xi on June 18th is getting NO coverage.
And not only asked about Biden, but also WARREN, which to me is the absolute proof that he is not interested in investigating corruption (which he is claiming as his new defense this morning) because Warren would not fall into that category, even if you believe that the false stories on Biden are in fact not false.

I also find this baffling because it's just so clear that if he is pulling in other candidates running against him that the whole premise of combating corruption is a joke. I mean aside from the obvious joke that he would be interested in rooting out corruption at all.

Also, what is incredibly sad in all this, Is that (please let this sink in) That the Ukraine and China, showed much more moral standing the president and all his cronies in this whole mess. Ukraine and China. Disgusting.

That's the part that gets me with all the Trump morons who keep claiming that this is some sort of Democratic conspiracy. Trump is out there calling every leader of every country he can think of, and they're acknowledging these calls happened and are cooperating in this investigation. If this is strictly the Democrats just being "mean" to Trump, then how do they explain other world leaders confirming these calls and working with the investigation? Are they in on this evil scheme against Trump, too?

And then of course there's this:

Seriously, TRUMP IS OPENLY FUCKING ADMITTING TO HIS CRIMES ON CAMERA. So is Giuliani. That's all they've been doing for the last two weeks now. Every piece of evidence that has come from the White House just further proves that. And yet Trump supporters still keep trying to insist there's nothing to this investigation. That takes a special level of delusion and blind loyalty that I can't even begin to fathom.

That's the part that gets me with all the Trump morons who keep claiming that this is some sort of Democratic conspiracy. Trump is out there calling every leader of every country he can think of, and they're acknowledging these calls happened and are cooperating in this investigation. If this is strictly the Democrats just being "mean" to Trump, then how do they explain other world leaders confirming these calls and working with the investigation? Are they in on this evil scheme against Trump, too?
Actually Ukraine was very hesitant and didn't want anything to do with the request. Volker and team were trying to make them just read a statement sort of saying they would, something that would placate Baby Trump enough to get them in the door at the WH.

And China seemed both confused and not responsive to investigation request on Biden and Warren.

So these corrupt countries are standing up more for our laws, morality, dignity and sovereignty than King Cheeto is. It's absolutely nuts.

Actually Ukraine was very hesitant and didn't want anything to do with the request. Volker and team were trying to make them just read a statement sort of saying they would, something that would placate Baby Trump enough to get them in the door at the WH.

And China seemed both confused and not responsive to investigation request on Biden and Warren.

So these corrupt countries are standing up more for our laws, morality, dignity and sovereignty than King Cheeto is. It's absolutely nuts.

Ah, I see. Still, though, yeah, the fact they're doing what you note at the end there should be enough of a clue that something is up here. Seriously, what more proof do Trump supporters need?

Course, there's also the fact that I think, with some Trump supporters, they know full well what Trump is doing is illegal. They just don't care, for all sorts of reasons. As long as he's rallying them against all those pesky minorities and "owning the libs" and whatnot, that's all that matters to them. If our government crumbles in the process, eh, so be it, I guess.

And the people who think that can go fuck themselves.

Why can’t Mitt just stand up for what’s right ?

He’s got enough $$$.
Not up for re-election
His seat is probably his until he doesn’t want it

He may have missed out on the presidency, but if he were to stand up to the GOP/Trump he’d go down in history more revered than a POTUS

Why can’t Mitt just stand up for what’s right ?

He’s got enough $$$.
Not up for re-election
His seat is probably his until he doesn’t want it

He may have missed out on the presidency, but if he were to stand up to the GOP/Trump he’d go down in history more revered than a POTUS

Absolutely. And he would be set up for a presidential run as the one who first stood up against Trumps corruption. There is no downside here. He would probably be on the cover of Time within days if he said that impeachment is needed.
Now i do understand that he is in the Senate, and that saying - He's guilty! now may not be the way to go when he will be a "juror" in the case needing to hear the evidence.

But he could telegraph that he thinks Trump needs to be removed without saying it directly.

randomly, David Brooks wrote a shitheap of a column today. and i have a relatively high David Brooks tolerance.

Absolutely. And he would be set up for a presidential run as the one who first stood up against Trumps corruption. There is no downside here.

At this point there must be some Republicans who are considering what will happen when this is all over. Obviously the two running against Trump are, but there have to be way more behind the scenes.

The mental calculus has to lead them to the conclusion that their current electoral strategy is a dying one (quite literally), because the numbers of disaffected rural/semi-rural whites simply is not there to sustain them as a viable political party unless they are ok with being in a perpetual minority position. That may be sustainable in a parliamentary democracy where you have multiple parties, but not in a two-party system.

Most of them are so far up Trump's ass that they're coming out of his mouth. They'll be the ones left holding the bag. But if you've got even a bit of a brain and a shred of ambition, you're going to start to have to position yourself for the post-Trump era.

randomly, David Brooks wrote a shitheap of a column today. and i have a relatively high David Brooks tolerance.

I couldn't stomach to read on beyond this gem:

Listen, do you remember those months just after the election when people like you were briefly curious about people like me? You sent your reporters out on wild safaris into the hinterlands to interview Trump voters.

How does one write that with a straight face? Literally ALL we have had to read about in newspapers and magazines and watch on CNN and other panels, is about the poor, disaffected Trump voters and their woe-is-me bullshit. As if they are the single most important voting faction in the country and their opinions as "real" Americans count thrice as much as anyone else's. Nevermind that you have way more urban poor - God forbid we listened for a moment to how they feel and think.

As if they are the single most important voting faction in the country and their opinions as "real" Americans count thrice as much as anyone else's.

Given the fact that the Senate values land over people, “real” Americans really do count thrice as much as the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom