US Politics XV: Time to Mull Mueller Mania

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could somebody please provide some examples of all these democrats who are just heartbroken over the loss of John Bolton?

Pointing out the incompetence of the administration that promised "only the best people" firing yet another senior level official - a third NSA while his first NSA was literally in court hearing when he's be sentenced to prison - is not an endorsement of John Bolton.

I never claimed that anyone is sad. I am simply agreeing with the fact that it is a good thing that Bolton is out. And yes I agree this admin is a total mess we are at #4 NSA.

I see what you mean. Although I would disagree that this was a wealthy suburban district. That made up one small sliver of that district, most of it is rural.
I guess my main point is that we have actual conclusive evidence a particular voting block (moderate/independent college educated, 35-55 yr olds) that we know are shifting in a significant way to the left. Or at least voting for Dems that they view as "better than Trump Republicans".

Honestly what I think this election tells us more than anything is that rural districts are a lost cause and not too much time or effort should be spent on turning them. This particular district was mostly rural and the suburban votes in an off-election year can't overcome that.

McCabe to be indicted

This is a show and warning to any law enforcement official to tread lightly into investigating the White House / Trump

This is horrible news

Honestly what I think this election tells us more than anything is that rural districts are a lost cause and not too much time or effort should be spent on turning them. This particular district was mostly rural and the suburban votes in an off-election year can't overcome that.

What was maybe important as well is that the Republican representative came from such a suburban area. And he still lost that particular suburban area with 12% for the vote (in the previous election the Democratic representative won that are with 9% of the vote, so his margin even increased there).

Watching this debate, I have to ask, are most people in America unable to understand what universal healthcare is? Some of these people on stage with their "you won't get to keep your insurance company" - yes, that's the whole fucking point. And the whole thing about choice - you have access to the doctors, hospitals, etc, just like you do now but nobody turns you down. It's not perfect but by God what is actually being said on stage is beyond stupid.

Watching this debate, I have to ask, are most people in America unable to understand what universal healthcare is? Some of these people on stage with their "you won't get to keep your insurance company" - yes, that's the whole fucking point. And the whole thing about choice - you have access to the doctors, hospitals, etc, just like you do now but nobody turns you down. It's not perfect but by God what is actually being said on stage is beyond stupid.
We elected a failed businessman turned reality TV star president. What do you think?

I'm only partially kidding, but I do think that one of the biggest issues with democrats is their failure to understand that we are, at the heart, a fairly stupid nation.

Another thing I'd like to hear more conversation in general about regarding healthcare is that depending on where you live, you may have to drive a ways to get to the hospital that will take care of everything you need. That happened with my dad when we lived in South Dakota-there were some things that the hospital in our town wasn't able to do for him, so he had to go to Sioux Falls for those treatments. Same thing happened when we lived in Colorado-he had to go to Denver for some things. Sometimes my dad had to take an ambulance the two hours to get to the nearest big city, because a) our car was having issues, or b) my mom wasn't able to get the time off work to take him. So that was costly. Other times, when our car was working, my mom, if she could get the time off, had to drive him there. And gas being as pricey as it is sometimes, that added to our financial struggles, too.

And the reason my mom wasn't able to take more time off work to take my dad to the hospital was because she was working a part-time job that only allows so many sick days/time off before it becomes a problem, potentially to the point of being let go. I guarantee there are many other families who live in small towns and rural areas who've dealt with similar things. And I think that's an issue that needs to be addressed and discussed more often, too.

Last edited:
Anyone who says their non-single payer plan "covers everyone but allows private insurance and options to remain" is lying to you and thinks you're an idiot. Exactly why I found Kamala's "full context" video to be eye rolling. She's never been genuine for a moment, aside from when she's proudly talking about imprisoning parents for truancy.

We elected a failed businessman turned reality TV star president. What do you think?

I'm only partially kidding, but I do think that one of the biggest issues with democrats is their failure to understand that we are, at the heart, a fairly stupid nation.
And the people like Buttigieg who say "I trust the American people to make their choice!" are way less understanding of that than the person who says "Let me take the risk out of this for you." Or way more cynical.

And the people like Buttigieg who say "I trust the American people to make their choice!" are way less understanding of that than the person who says "Let me take the risk out of this for you." Or way more cynical.

That was a terrible answer from him. Literally repeating a GOP talking point. I usually find him to be thoughtful with his words but this was really bad.

Yea... I'm on the way more cynical side.

"I trust you to make your choice" plays with stupid.

Bernie knows he can’t get anything done with the filibuster right ?

Switzerland must be full of idiots.

Cute but a non sequitur.

The Swiss, like the Canadians understand what it is to have universal healthcare with or without a two tier system. Nobody there is confused about what it means.

The level of obfuscation among most American politicians when discussing it is incredibly dishonest and cynical and I truly don't believe that your average American understands what universal healthcare actually is. As evidenced by being told, multiple times on this very forum, that as a Canadian the government chooses my doctor. Absolutely 100% false but it's repeated again and again as if it's in the Bible.

I think the average American likes the notion of choice, it’s fairly central to any understanding of what might be a national identity, and private insurance falls under that. There is fear surrounding losing what is understood as a choice. It’s fear of the unknown, which is why a gradualist approach has always appealed to me.

That said, I agree that there’s ignorance about how it works in other countries (while at the same time I don’t think that what works in other countries would necessarily work in the US — different places are different). You also have to understand the amount of dishonesty and disinformation that comes from the Republican Party on this issue, and at the same time realize this is why the Democrats won so big in 2018 — once the experienced Obamacare, they kind of liked it.

people are dying by the thousands because they can't afford basic necessary care, but let's take our time actually doing something about that because it's scary.

people are dying by the thousands because they can't afford basic necessary care, but let's take our time actually doing something about that because it's scary.

So helpful and such a fair representation of what I was saying. Thanks.

I understand the seeming moral appeal of power to leftists, I really do. But that’s not really how democracy works.

Thoughts about the debate before I can be swayed by the pundits and articles...

Klobuchar - how she has managed to find 100 people who find her compelling, nevermind 100,000+ I'll never know. She needs to go asap.

Booker - really good today. He seemed calm, collected and no missteps. Unfortunately won't take him anywhere.

Beto - first time I've actually liked him in all the times I've seen him. He found a new passion post El Paso tragedy and I just wish he'd translate that into a Senate run.

Castro - I'm not fan of Biden but he came across as an asshole a couple of times.

Harris - Was she blazed tonight or what? Really bizarre. I expect to see her drop.

Buttigieg - Seemed solid as usual, though his healthcare answer I thought was weak. And I didn't care for his call for kumbaya, it just sounded like strange nagging on stage. But the content of his answers I thought was more than fine.

Bernie - I don't know if he lost his voice from the yelling at the beginning, but it was hard to listen later on. I thought he did well, actually.

Warren - Solid as usual. She just seems to me like she is one of the only ones (maybe with Buttigieg) who just always manages to stay above the fray even when Biden came right at her in his first answer.

Biden - I thought he had a good first half and then kind of devolved into ranting, which at times was an incoherent mess. I can just see him in a debate with Trump and it's not a pleasant picture.

Yang - The Asian joke was bad and unfunny. I don't think he's the solution, but I don't mind listening to him. At least he has something different to add.

**and Warren
if Warren served two terms in office she'd be 80 when she left - or as old as Bernie would be when in his first year in office if he were to win

Ageist shmagist - I don't want a fucking 84 year old president.

I'd clearly vote for either Biden or Sanders if they end up against Trump - but I wish both of them would drop out and go away.

Frankly I'd prefer a younger candidate to Warren as well - but there's a big difference between your early 70s and your early 80s.

Last edited:
Thoughts about the debate before I can be swayed by the pundits and articles...

Klobuchar - how she has managed to find 100 people who find her compelling, nevermind 100,000+ I'll never know. She needs to go asap.

Booker - really good today. He seemed calm, collected and no missteps. Unfortunately won't take him anywhere.

Beto - first time I've actually liked him in all the times I've seen him. He found a new passion post El Paso tragedy and I just wish he'd translate that into a Senate run.

Castro - I'm not fan of Biden but he came across as an asshole a couple of times.

Harris - Was she blazed tonight or what? Really bizarre. I expect to see her drop.

Buttigieg - Seemed solid as usual, though his healthcare answer I thought was weak. And I didn't care for his call for kumbaya, it just sounded like strange nagging on stage. But the content of his answers I thought was more than fine.

Bernie - I don't know if he lost his voice from the yelling at the beginning, but it was hard to listen later on. I thought he did well, actually.

Warren - Solid as usual. She just seems to me like she is one of the only ones (maybe with Buttigieg) who just always manages to stay above the fray even when Biden came right at her in his first answer.

Biden - I thought he had a good first half and then kind of devolved into ranting, which at times was an incoherent mess. I can just see him in a debate with Trump and it's not a pleasant picture.

Yang - The Asian joke was bad and unfunny. I don't think he's the solution, but I don't mind listening to him. At least he has something different to add.
I think the praise on Beto could backfire for a number of candidates. Clearly they don't see him as a threat, which is why they showered him with praise all night long - but when the guy finds his message he's pretty inspiring.

[this is the point where somebody chimes in about how he's awful because he doesn't stand for anything and goes the way the wind blows blah blah blah... as if the majority of Americans pick their candidate based on strong policy. once again - we're dumb]

if Warren served two terms in office she'd be 80 when she left - or as old as Bernie would be when in his first year in office if he were to win

Ageist shmagist - I don't want a fucking 84 year old president.

I'd clearly vote for either Biden or Sanders if they end up against Trump - but I wish both of them would drop out and go away.

Frankly I'd prefer a younger candidate to Warren as well - but there's a big difference between your early 70s and your early 80s.

There’s a big difference in life expectancy? If that’s your worry.

There’s not a huge difference in age. They belong to the same generations

To be clear I’m not personally one who cares about how old they are (given their VP pick is sufficient). Which is why I would say Warren is equally old. Their ages don’t bother me. I don’t look at age as relevant to their qualifications.

There’s a big difference in life expectancy? If that’s your worry.

There’s not a huge difference in age. They belong to the same generations

To be clear I’m not personally one who cares about how old they are (given their VP pick is sufficient). Which is why I would say Warren is equally old. Their ages don’t bother me. I don’t look at age as relevant to their qualifications.
I mean... I know you're the scientist and I'm the dopey basketball guy, but cognitive decline is certainly something that shows more in an average 80 year old brain than in the average70 year old brain. It also tends to impact the male brain earlier than the female brain.

So is it generational? Yes, which is why I said I would also prefer to not even have a 70 year old, either.

But it's not life expectancy so much as having a president whose brain isn't going to turn to mush by year 3.

Umm, because you haven’t killed the First Amendment quite yet. And I STILL find it hilarious that people of color who “step out of line” are called white nationalists. No one buys that crap, sorry
Yay, and on the 8th day Republican gzus said "burn her in effigy in a political ad."

And it was done, and it was good. Glory to Reagan in the highest.

Why do you even post here ? You bring nothing of value

At least there’s some debate between the liberals in here on how to improve things, which sometimes gets heated or crosses a line, but there’s value.

I’ll post stuff from twitter because I’m lazy and others can say it better than me. I’ll engage when i need to.

As for the debate

Biden and Sanders are really old. Bernie seems tired ? I guess i would be by saying the 2016 sound bites again. I am not sensing he has as strong of a following this time, could be wrong.

Amy K needs to drop out. She seemed nervous.

Yang is interesting but he needs to stop with the Asian jokes. They’re not funny. I do like he’s the only one talking about AI & Automation and he does present different ideas compared to the politicians.

I thought the winners were Warren, Booker, and Beto in that order. Harris just on the outside. She clearly wanted to show she’s willing to attack Trump

Mayor Pete always speaks well but feel he didn’t really gain much

This group needs to shrink by half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom