US Politics XV: Time to Mull Mueller Mania

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like tumor was removed and cancer hasn’t spread anywhere else

Saw a take online about an 86 year old female justice has been battling cancer for the millionth time it seems and she comes right back to work like nothing.

Brett Kavanaugh can’t get thru 10 mins of questioning without crying

Yet women are too emotional to lead. ;)

Dannyboy- :hmm:

I get your take messing it up enough to lose some of his base -but I've heard some trumpiteers say we'll put up with that (economic problems) if it will get us this.

(And like your a good recovery from the next Dem admin),

But at the same time some of the first people effected probably will be middle to lower wage people of color, maybe older workers and that makes me worry because i have friends and acquaintances in those categories (among others). So not sure i could wish for that.

I get it, but I worry about what will happen to the economy if he has another four years of pissing contests.

Ruth Bader just underwent cancer treatment.

I now implore everyone to shut the fuck up and vote for any Dem in 2020, and take vanloads of people to the polls. 3 appointments by fucking Trump would be worse than i ever imagined.
So many people here misunderstand the point of a primary. We need to be able to criticize the Democratic candidates right now. That's how we vet them to see who is best to try and win in 2020. My criticisms of Joe Biden are both because I think he'd be bad for the country and would be a dangerous risk of losing to Trump. He has a shitty record, he's losing his mental capacity to handle all of this, and he's only going to get worse over the next 15 months of campaigning. Tonight, he pulled a Hillary Clinton and publicly speculated about Barack Obama getting assassinated to score political points.

Meanwhile, Kamala Harris supporters staged a walkout of the Sunrise Movement today for some reason, the same week that Harris went to the Hamptons to assure billionaires she's on her side. She's trying to wrestle the billionaires' support from Pete Buttigieg, who has courted them most effectively to this point. That's always something you want to see from the party that's supposed to be fighting economic inequality!

The 2016 election proved that a lot of polling data is a crock of shit at this point. Yet we still want to concern ourselves with based on the same polls that have proven to tell us a lot less than we thought they did.

So often the reflex to move to the middle with the candidate is one to "play it safe," to recline in the conventional wisdom that we are a nation of centrists and that centrism has the most mass appeal. I don't know how many cycles of us running out centrists we have to go through before people realize you can't do that every single time out. 2018 was one time where a wave of centrists got through because Trump was unpopular. The presidential election of 2020 isn't going to have the same dynamic, especially with the Democrats deciding to do nothing in the lead up to that election.

More importantly, if you manage to get a centrist Dem in there to "stop the bleeding," it's still going to fail to help most people. And that would put the 2024 election in major jeopardy, just as Obama failed to do enough from 2008 to 2016 to make "let's keep doing this!" a winning election strategy.

I only see one candidate capable of driving out the much-needed youth vote that Headache referenced upthread.

Last edited:
I wonder if there’s an equivalent for all those white people addicted to meth and with no jobs or social services in red states who continually vote for tax cuts for billionaires and who’s life expectancy drops by the year due to GOP policies and racist scapegoating of immigrants.

The moral genius of Barack Obama was that he gave health care to the children of these people, these people who called him the N-word and enjoy Trump’s cruelty. (what Gzus would actually do) Maybe they’ll eventually figure it out?

I’d love to know how slashing taxes for the wealthy and shutting down abortion clinics and an all-out assault on the environment is going to help inner-city Baltimore. By all means, do explain.

Last edited:
This event is for any minorities or people of color in the Baltimore/DC area who are tired of remaining in the liberal poverty trap. There are other ways of thinking. Think for yourself.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1jfZG-ltw2/?igshid=111npodvlc4c5
Great!

You and Kanye should totally go, guy who totally doesn't support Trump but only supports everything he does.

There were Jews who helped the Nazis and Africans who aided the slave trade. So hey, don't know what those groups were complaining about then, either, amirite?!?!

If you were truly an independent conservative, you'd be outraged by this administration. The deficit is exploding. The dipshit in chief literally "ordered" companies to stop doing business with another country just yesterday. You would have jumped ship, like many of us have done before.

But you're not.

Your idea of conservatism has nothing to do with fiscal responsibility and everything to do with your old fashioned, horse shit idea of white Americana which is somehow bastardized off as being "Christian"

There's nothing Christian about hate.

Blexit, “grassroots” movement founded by Candace Owens, totally serious thinker as evidenced by her appearances on that luminary site for intellectual, thoughtful, responsible right wing journalism... Infowars.

“I think the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming. Stop reproducing. Walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight. Brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.”

Uh.... no, Cohle, dude. Speak for yourself. :|

Nuke hurricanes before they reach the USA? :gah: :gah: :gah:
Trump is sooooooo stupid (or maybe ignorant is a better description [or both apply :lol: :( ] in so many ways. :crack:

Last edited:

This was the best part:

Asked how the briefer reacted, the source recalled he said something to the effect of, "Sir, we'll look into that."

Trump replied by asking incredulously how many hurricanes the U.S. could handle and reiterating his suggestion that the government intervene before they make landfall.

The briefer "was knocked back on his heels," the source in the room added. "You could hear a gnat fart in that meeting. People were astonished. After the meeting ended, we thought, 'What the f---? What do we do with this?'"

AND YET THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WILL STILL VOTE FOR HIM BECAUSE ABORTION AND BUILD AND BUILD A WALL AND I’M A BORED, DISAPPOINTED WHITE MAN REALIZING THINGS ARENT TURNING OUT HOW I WAS PROMISED BUT I CANT BLAME MY OWN MEDIOCRITY NOW CAN I?

In today's episode of "damn, we're really fucked"

While the G7 met to discuss the crisis in the Amazon, the president was tweeting about how he never actually said he'd nuke a hurricane.l, while sitting on the shitter and watching a Fox News piece about the Axios story. We don't have confirmation of the shitter part of the story, but we all know it's true.

Oh, and then the white house put out a press release saying that Trump only wasn't there because he already had meetings scheduled with Germany and India, forgetting that TV exists and the world all saw Merkel and Modi at the Amazon meeting.

But, ya know, judges and tax cuts and Trump derangement syndrome cause white chick fil'a gzus said so.

He also showed up 20 minutes late to the working lunch. Probably wanted to pre-eat some hamberders.

So many people here misunderstand the point of a primary. We need to be able to criticize the Democratic candidates right now. That's how we vet them to see who is best to try and win in 2020. My criticisms of Joe Biden are both because I think he'd be bad for the country and would be a dangerous risk of losing to Trump. He has a shitty record, he's losing his mental capacity to handle all of this, and he's only going to get worse over the next 15 months of campaigning. Tonight, he pulled a Hillary Clinton and publicly speculated about Barack Obama getting assassinated to score political points.

Meanwhile, Kamala Harris supporters staged a walkout of the Sunrise Movement today for some reason, the same week that Harris went to the Hamptons to assure billionaires she's on her side. She's trying to wrestle the billionaires' support from Pete Buttigieg, who has courted them most effectively to this point. That's always something you want to see from the party that's supposed to be fighting economic inequality!

The 2016 election proved that a lot of polling data is a crock of shit at this point. Yet we still want to concern ourselves with based on the same polls that have proven to tell us a lot less than we thought they did.

So often the reflex to move to the middle with the candidate is one to "play it safe," to recline in the conventional wisdom that we are a nation of centrists and that centrism has the most mass appeal. I don't know how many cycles of us running out centrists we have to go through before people realize you can't do that every single time out. 2018 was one time where a wave of centrists got through because Trump was unpopular. The presidential election of 2020 isn't going to have the same dynamic, especially with the Democrats deciding to do nothing in the lead up to that election.

More importantly, if you manage to get a centrist Dem in there to "stop the bleeding," it's still going to fail to help most people. And that would put the 2024 election in major jeopardy, just as Obama failed to do enough from 2008 to 2016 to make "let's keep doing this!" a winning election strategy.

I only see one candidate capable of driving out the much-needed youth vote that Headache referenced upthread.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to primary process. But once a nominee is decided - that we really need to just shut up and get in line this time. The amount of time and energy that was spent AFTER Clinton was the nominee, tearing her down, conflating any small issue she had to be "as bad as Trump" or "lesser of two evils" was what really killed enthusiasm in the end.
We now know that this was one of the main strategies of Russian trolls, to divide up the party and cast Clinton as an evil neo-liberal, oligarch fucking, corporate whore, and how the evil DNC rigged everthything, blah, blah, blah.

I am all for the primary playing itself out in all of its ugly glory and getting the best candidate. I am more and more swayed by Warren, who I have always loved. And think with the right VP choice, it would be a closer race in the end with Trump than say Biden or Sanders, but she would pull it off and be a remarkable president.

But even if they somehow nominated Williamson or Gabbard (shutter :huh:) I would run to the polls to vote for them. There is no excuse this time. There is no good conclusion for adding to the infighting that foreign trolls will most certainly engage in again this time around, no matter who the nominee is.

I keep thinking back to that line from Hillary's concession speech, that "the best days are still ahead of us" and how wrong that ended up being.

And just a follow up. I think both Sanders and Warren can drive youth turn-out (as paltry as it will be - and it will be pathetic as usual)
The question is, will Sanders and Warren be able to pull moderates to their side? And will they be able to excite minority voters.

Lets be clear (using a Bernie phrase) - you can pull all the possible youth vote you want. Those numbers will be minuscule compared to the amount of moderate, older, and minority voters that will actually go to the polls.
So if Biden isn't the nominee, (and I believe that he is very well in danger of losing the front-runner spot to Warren) any other candidate will have a hell of a lot of work to do to get those other constituents that they are currently weak on. I think Warren is much more skilled at doing this. IMO Bernie has proven that he really doesn't know how to and sticks to his same playbook.

She meant like, waaaaay down the road I guess. :D

And if you're a cockroach. Since they'll be the only ones left by then. :lol:

With respect to the primaries, the reason I think that Bernie is done (aside from essentially stagnating) is that his Iowa game appears poor. He is polling third at best, even fourth on occasion. Polls will get better as we move into September and beyond but I just don't think that he can finish that far in the pack, particularly if Warren wins.

I am no fan of Biden running, but I do think it is insane how the media concentrates on every one of his gaffes while the orange menace is non compos mentis and incoherent 24/7. It's one set of rules for Trump and another for everyone else.

I dunno. Biden’s gaffes are something the media has historically covered just like any other candidate. The exception is Trump, who is seemingly bulletproof to such criticism.

I would prefer that gaffes for everyone not named Trump continue to get scrutinized, rather than allowing Trump to have lowered the bar for everyone else.

The only people who can drive the youth vote are the youth voters. "Give them something to vote for" is a great theory. But stop waiting for someone else to give you what you want and go fucking take it.

It's why I have hope that the Parkland group has a chance to make real change on this front. They seem to get it. They need to be the left's version of the tea party.

You need more than protests, hashtags and outrage.

You need organization.

Stop complaining and go take it. The only reason why old white people get catered to by politicians is because they are the ones who consistently turn out to vote. Flip that narrative and the country is changed forever.

The work they've already done to damage the NRA is inspiring as fuck. They seem determined to do the same for 2020. The Tea Party and Trump have proven that movements can overcome find raising. Go. Fight. Win.

New Monmouth Poll is out - for context it has the highest rating (A+) of pollsters per 538.

Sanders 20%
Warren 20%
Biden 19%

Biden is down double-digit (13) points since the last time the poll was run, 2 months ago.

Indeed, Biden has lost support among Democrats who identify as either moderate or conservative. In June, roughly 40 percent of those voters said they backed Biden’s bid for the nomination. Since then, that number has dropped to 22 percent.

There are signs that moderate and conservative Democrats are beginning to gravitate toward Sanders and Warren. Sanders saw his support among those voters jump from 10 percent to 20 percent over the past two months, while backing for Warren rose from 6 percent to 16 percent.

Unrelated, but this is a fantastic ad. People of Iowa, if you can't get rid of Steve King, at last turf Joni Ernst.

https://twitter.com/FrankenforIowa/...19/8/26/1881478/-Franken-announces-Senate-run

Last edited:
The sample is for sure small, but I think what even small samples pick up is not necessarily the overall support but trends regarding likeability, and demographic spreads. Those are more interesting, dig-deep numbers to keep an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom