US Politics XV: Time to Mull Mueller Mania

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump trying to get gun reform tied to immigration legislation might be the single lowest thing of this low-down, dirty presidency yet

I know where NGT is coming from with the sentiment but obviously it’s in poor taste and cones off as in your face, inferiors. And insensitive.

Anyways, NGT is a pompous asshat and has always wanted to be the next Carl Sagan, but he will never be. Carl Sagan lover to teach and inform. NGT loves to preach and lends credibility to things he shouldn’t.

Generally speaking we've managed to get this far through the Trump presidency without the fucking wheels falling off. The country is still more or less operating. (Hey, a win for smaller government!)

But as we hit this moment - with yet another mass shooting by a member of the white nationalist movement specifically aimed at immigrant communities (and hey, thanks to Republicans for again pointing out that there are gun crime issues in minority communities, too. Making sure neo nazis don't get all the blame seems like an awkward hill to die on... ALAS).

The Dow is cratering (again) thanks to dipshit's ego fueled trade war with China.

We may be nearing the point where shit really starts to hit the fan as a nation, and the GOP needs to make their final decision on whether or not staying on board with a woefully inept racist con man on the off chance RGB croaks is worth the whole fucking thing going up in smoke.

Generally speaking we've managed to get this far through the Trump presidency without the fucking wheels falling off. The country is still more or less operating. (Hey, a win for smaller government!)

But as we hit this moment - with yet another mass shooting by a member of the white nationalist movement specifically aimed at immigrant communities (and hey, thanks to Republicans for again pointing out that there are gun crime issues in minority communities, too. Making sure neo nazis don't get all the blame seems like an awkward hill to die on... ALAS).

The Dow is cratering (again) thanks to dipshit's ego fueled trade war with China.

We may be nearing the point where shit really starts to hit the fan as a nation, and the GOP needs to make their final decision on whether or not staying on board with a woefully inept racist con man on the off chance RGB croaks is worth the whole fucking thing going up in smoke.
They can't unring the bell. They won't tolerate going back to Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan. They want the guy who will stand up there and insult the people they don't like without apologizing for it. The farthest step back I can see from them is someone like Tom Cotton. Which is still batshit.

They can't unring the bell. They won't tolerate going back to Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan. They want the guy who will stand up there and insult the people they don't like without apologizing for it. The farthest step back I can see from them is someone like Tom Cotton. Which is still batshit.

This.

There is no way that the base, which is emboldened to behave like neanderthals (apology to actual neanderthals), is now going to go back and re-enter polite society. They have been told and conditioned to believe that their racism and sexism and various -phobias are acceptable, not just on a personal level, but as a matter of public discourse. You can't go back from that.

I'm not trying to state that they'd be willing to move back to the center - only that they would be willing to cast off an incompetent fool who's in obvious cognitive decline and is singlehandedly capable of doing irreversible damage to the nation beyond that which the GOP is already ok with.

There are two issues - what the GOP base has become, and Trump himself. They are unarguably related and joined at the hip, while at the same time being separate issues.

The days of the GOP even pretending to care about compromise or keeping to the center are dead and buried.

There are specific traits of Trump that they will want to shed (namely his inattentiveness, his most extreme bits of vulgarity, and his boredom with ramping up foreign wars), but the vast majority of what he is and stands for is simply the logical endpoint of the last 40-50 years of American conservatism.

This.

There is no way that the base, which is emboldened to behave like neanderthals (apology to actual neanderthals), is now going to go back and re-enter polite society. They have been told and conditioned to believe that their racism and sexism and various -phobias are acceptable, not just on a personal level, but as a matter of public discourse. You can't go back from that.

If they could survive electorally, the Romneys and the Rubios and the Grahams would drop these unwashed deplorables at a moments notice. They despise them, and they laugh and point at gullibles like Gezus, people they’ve convinced to buy into their economic philosophies. They only care about power and worry about being primaried.

We need to stop referring to all 2016 Trump voters as a monolithic block who all just love gzus, guns and dank memes.

There are plenty of people who only get political once every 4 years who chose Trump because "they're all the same, why not try something new, blah blah blah."

These are the swing votes. They still exist. And they will matter in 2020.

Anecdotaly I think they're already off Trump - and it's on the democrats to not do something stupid and lose them.

Impeaching this asshole wouldn't count as something stupid. What would be stupid would be nominating a candidate who would to out and insult this block of voters - even if that perceived insult was steeped in truth. Like, oh I don't know, calling them deplorable.

We need to stop referring to all 2016 Trump voters as a monolithic block who all just love gzus, guns and dank memes.

There are plenty of people who only get political once every 4 years who chose Trump because "they're all the same, why not try something new, blah blah blah."

These are the swing votes. They still exist. And they will matter in 2020.

Anecdotaly I think they're already off Trump - and it's on the democrats to not do something stupid and lose them.

Impeaching this asshole wouldn't count as something stupid. What would be stupid would be nominating a candidate who would to out and insult this block of voters - even if that perceived insult was steeped in truth. Like, oh I don't know, calling them deplorable.
I disagree with like 60 percent of this. Yes, there are swing voters, and yes, Trump had appeal of "the system is broken, let's try something new" to a certain type of voter who doesn't pay that much attention and isn't impacted by a ton of the things politics impacts. And yes, impeaching Trump isn't stupid, and is in fact very necessary.

But you should insult a block of voters if they do racist things. Supporting racist policies and racist candidates is racist. Saying so is necessary. You just need to make sure you make that shot when you take it.

You also need to stop worrying about swing voters and start worrying about non-voters. Give. People. Something. To. Vote. For. "I'll stop Trump" is not a platform.

Or decriminalizing the boarder and making private health insurance illegal.

Both possibly good ideas, both likely electoral poison pills.

I disagree with like 60 percent of this. Yes, there are swing voters, and yes, Trump had appeal of "the system is broken, let's try something new" to a certain type of voter who doesn't pay that much attention and isn't impacted by a ton of the things politics impacts. And yes, impeaching Trump isn't stupid, and is in fact very necessary.

But you should insult a block of voters if they do racist things. Supporting racist policies and racist candidates is racist. Saying so is necessary. You just need to make sure you make that shot when you take it.

You also need to stop worrying about swing voters and start worrying about non-voters. Give. People. Something. To. Vote. For. "I'll stop Trump" is not a platform.

What he said.

I think I've made it fairly clear that I'm personally more than fine with insulting Trump voters and calling them out for being racist assholes.

The candidate should stick to attacking Trump and his policies.

Saying that a policy is racist and why it is racist is different than saying "everyone who voted in 2016 for Trump is racist" or "if you're thinking of voting for Trump again you're a moron and you're a racist."

And worrying about non voters is a pipe dream. You should always try to turn people out to vote who have never voted before. The democratic candidate absolutely should try to turn out non voters - but relying upon that is a recipe for diaster. It's like relying on the youth vote. Great in theory, horrible idea in practice.

"Give them something to vote for" is a great thought.

If the shit that's going on right now isn't enough to drive people to the polls, nothing is. Nobody can possibly make the "they're all the same" argument this time around. Anyone who doesn't vote to remove this asshole is as complicit as those who vote for him.

This isn't to downplay policy and the importance of ideas. We need fresh ideas and fresh candidates and not the same old retreads.

The single most important issue in 2020 is to win.

He can not be allowed to return.

If the shit that's going on right now isn't enough to drive people to the polls, nothing is.

Exactly.

You almost DON'T need to give people something to vote for this time around. The difference is that stark. The person in office is a shit stain on the entire world and it will be trying times simply to survive what is left of his first term, nevermind contemplating a second.

Waiting for his next real terrible exclamation. How many hours, days? Just listening to him give his respond- so mechanical (here, mr president- go read this -this is how you are supposed to sound).
Ugh, he's going to both places. Consoler-in- chief; ha! After you turned over the damn rocks! Screw you, bastard.

Then the fucking "headstones" and now AOC's cardboard cutout. :gah:

Thanks for that really good (awful & true) cartoon, irving.

Last edited:
Waiting for his next real terrible exclamation. How many hours, days? Just listening to him give his respond- so mechanical (here, mr president- go read this -this is how you are supposed to sound).
Ugh, he's going to both places. Consoler-in- chief; ha! After you turned over the damn rocks! Screw you, bastard.

Speaks to just how utterly shitty and cruel Trump has been that a town that's just suffered a significant tragedy doesn't want him to come visit them. Since he is going, though, I hope the townspeople don't hold back in letting him know what they think of him.

And hey, maybe Trump can say the wrong name of this town, too!*

Also, regarding his "I'm clearly reading this off a teleprompter" speech-remember how the right bellyached about Obama using a teleprompter? Amazing how their tune's changed since then, huh?

*Trump, I expect to botch up the name of a town. Even when he's reading it off a teleprompter. But the fact that Biden did the same on Twitter is just...sad.

Then the fucking "headstones" and now AOC's cardboard cutout. :gah:

Thanks for that really good (awful & true) cartoon, irving.

You never have to wait long:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...-orourkes-hispanic-nickname/story?id=64821042

I think I've made it fairly clear that I'm personally more than fine with insulting Trump voters and calling them out for being racist assholes.

The candidate should stick to attacking Trump and his policies.

Saying that a policy is racist and why it is racist is different than saying "everyone who voted in 2016 for Trump is racist" or "if you're thinking of voting for Trump again you're a moron and you're a racist."

And worrying about non voters is a pipe dream. You should always try to turn people out to vote who have never voted before. The democratic candidate absolutely should try to turn out non voters - but relying upon that is a recipe for diaster. It's like relying on the youth vote. Great in theory, horrible idea in practice.

"Give them something to vote for" is a great thought.

If the shit that's going on right now isn't enough to drive people to the polls, nothing is. Nobody can possibly make the "they're all the same" argument this time around. Anyone who doesn't vote to remove this asshole is as complicit as those who vote for him.

This isn't to downplay policy and the importance of ideas. We need fresh ideas and fresh candidates and not the same old retreads.

The single most important issue in 2020 is to win.

He can not be allowed to return.

This is the balance. You don't need to brand people who voted for Trump as racist assholes. But the candidates do need to repeat over and over that Trump himself is the racist asshole and a danger to our society. That will then create the overall effect of making anyone who would vote for him THIS time, has to make a choice. Am I going to vote for a racist asshole who is a danger to our country, or am I not.

Beyond that, yes, the candidates have to give voters something to vote for. But as much of a complete shit-show that the last debate was, if you look at it, the candidates that will make it to the next round are all presenting policies that are starkly different than what is happening now under Trump. Environmental plans, criminal justice plans, healthcare plans, gun reform plans, educational cost plans - the list goes on.

So the balance is branding the president as what he is, a white nationalist hate monger, while simultaneously putting forward ideas that will help people in their everyday lives.
If you strip away all the bickering that occurred about peoples past votes, or past positions as a prosecutor, or whatever, and look forward. You see there is broad agreement on what ALL of the Dems stand for (just in differing degrees).

Headache is correct. There is nothing more important than Trump being taken out of office. And just because voters might like one version of a healthcare plan, or a college tuition plan over another, at this moment in our history, the absence of Trump (and hopefully several Senators) is the most imperative action to be taken.
And this can be seen by the fact that "beating Trump" is still the number one issue for Dem voters.

And that’s why Biden remains the favorite. Right now, voters believe he can best beat Trump. It doesn’t matter a shit of MFA vs Public Option — especially not with a GOP Senate and the fact that everything will have to get Joe Manchin’s vote. It only matters insofar as it gets people out and voting Trump out.

The Senate is a problem. It’s a political body that privileges land over people. But it’s not going anywhere all.

And the only chance you have of flipping the Senate this year is to win the white house in a landslide and hope the tide is big enough to carry enough seats. Even then it's a long shot.

To do that you need to energize voters who stayed home, and you need to flip voters who went the other way last time in a big way - namely white suburban women.

But in all reality the Senate will likely stay red by a small margin, while the house will likely get bluer.

And that’s why Biden remains the favorite. Right now, voters believe he can best beat Trump. It doesn’t matter a shit of MFA vs Public Option — especially not with a GOP Senate and the fact that everything will have to get Joe Manchin’s vote. It only matters insofar as it gets people out and voting Trump out.

The Senate is a problem. It’s a political body that privileges land over people. But it’s not going anywhere all.

Yes, and the reality is that no matter what plans are put forth, they all will run smack into the wall of the Senate. I am hoping that some of the Dem pres candidate cast offs return home to run for senate.

I will say that with the latest tragedies, it seems to have brought some focus the Dems message and it feels that they are seeing the bigger picture of getting rid of Trump and not going back and forth on the differences between each other. This is the sort of shared force that the party needs to bring in voters of all types.

And the only chance you have of flipping the Senate this year is to win the white house in a landslide and hope the tide is big enough to carry enough seats. Even then it's a long shot.

To do that you need to energize voters who stayed home, and you need to flip voters who went the other way last time in a big way - namely white suburban women.

But in all reality the Senate will likely stay red by a small margin, while the house will likely get bluer.

Interesting to see whats happening in TX. And this is pre ElPaso. We see 4 or 5 Repub retirements, and they say a couple more in the coming days.

I believe the news was showing a suburban district near Dallas that went 22 points for Romney in 2012, 6 For Trump in 2016 and 3.5 for Beto in 2018. If we are seeing a slide of that amount in other suburban areas of Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Arlington, etc... It could get very interesting depending on who is the Dem candidate, for pres and senate.

The Texas suburban House seats could go the way of Orange County.

Beto O'Rourke and Julian Castro need to stop this vanity tour of theirs and run against Cornyn. His polling numbers are horrific for an incumbent, he is panicking and fundraising like there is no tomorrow because he knows he is highly vulnerable, and on top of that he's an asshole who has done nothing substantial in forever. Either one of O'Rourke or Castro with a good field op and $ support could take him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom