US Politics XV: Time to Mull Mueller Mania - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #841
War Child

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Unsurprisingly, the whole 10 minute version shows Harris responding emotionally and beautifully, they may have some disagreements, but it’s far from the squirmy gotcha moment we were initially presented with.

https://youtu.be/feb62JOutHw
What about her response is it that resonates with you?

Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #842
War Child

It is insane to me that Democrats would mourn the loss of John Bolton from this administration. Are we truly this poisoned by Trump that anyone that gets on his bad side is a good guy? Bolton's the guy who has been most actively trying to get Trump to start a war.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #843
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
What about her response is it that resonates with you?
throughout the video she is warm and personal, raw and honest, and she tells a good story. in terms of the content of her response, she acknowledges the complexity of the system, the notion of health care as a right, and how government has a role to play, and she specifically says "I have a medicare for all plan." he specifically asks her about Bernie's bill and says that her plan is better because there is an option for a public plan or a private plan and elucidates the differences. she wants coverage for all -- that's what she wants. she doesn't want to get rid of all private insurance, and neither do most Americans. she wants to restructure the role they play in the health care system. this is the crux of the current debate amongst the Democrats. good people can disagree, and they are and they will and will continue to do so.

i also disagree with his assumption/observation/anecdote that there's a massive, energetic "grassroots" movement out there that will make any sort of real political difference. that's not based in any sort of evidence, nor does it acknowledge the backlash abolishing private insurance could provoke.

it's the dishonesty of the 1 minute edit of this as some sort of "gotcha" moment that's disappointing. given how sympathetic and kind the overall video is, i think Ady himself wouldn't like the framing. they disagree on one specific point of policy, and that's fine. liberals like to debate and persuade and hash out differences. they don't like totalizing narratives.

she honestly comes off great in the whole video. it made me like her more. i'm glad you posted the 1min video, otherwise i wouldn't have found the 10 min video.

i hope Kamala has a great debate and regains her footing. she has tremendous political skills.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #844
Blue Crack Supplier

US Politics XV: Time to Mull Mueller Mania

Quote:
It is insane to me that Democrats would mourn the loss of John Bolton from this administration. Are we truly this poisoned by Trump that anyone that gets on his bad side is a good guy? Bolton's the guy who has been most actively trying to get Trump to start a war.

literally who is "mourning" this?

many are noting that his departure is an example of the chaos and instability of the Trump administration. this is the 3rd NSA in as many years.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #845
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
i hope Kamala has a great debate and regains her footing. she has tremendous political skills.
I get the sense too that she does, but I question whether she has the right people working on her campaign. It seems like from the beginning they have been operating like they want her to be an "all things to all people" candidate which has resulted in multiple iterations of the same plan, so-called flip-flopping, watering down of her initial views and so on. Somebody there needs to take the reigns and stick with it.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #846
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
apparently trump has called henry kissinger to try to get him out of retirement to be his next NSA.

god help us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Dave, Dave, Dave. Dave. You’ve obviously mistaken an Onion article for actual news. There’s no way that’s actually tr—

Fuck.

Quote:

I haven't heard any one (Dems).
Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #847
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Nobody is mourning the loss of Bolton.

Pointing out the sheer and utter incompetence of this administration is not a nod of approval for the dude who got shit canned.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #848
Blue Crack Addict

“Most Americans don’t want to get rid of private insurance” is a total farce. Most Americans don’t understand the insurance system, and employed people in the middle class tend to *not care* because they don’t see that money anyways.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #849
Blue Crack Supplier

9-11-19

18 yrs later, wow.

i ran out of my apt building in just half a mile from Downtown Brooklyn at 10am to head to Manhattan. I never watch tv in the morning. But I usually flick my (then) walkman tape player and radio on as get ready to leave - i didn't that morning.
It's gorgeous, blue sky , happy sumner cloud. I turn on my radio in the middle of the convo -hear about 'firemen covered in ash', "like a movie- but not!' I had NO idea what building and where this is happening. They all suddenly went silent. "Dead air" as it's called for ?20+ seconds? Finally one says The Twin Towers are gone. I'm walking westward. I spin 180° around, stare at my walkman as if it's turned into a squawking monster. I start putting 2 + 2 + together. I slowly turn back westward, stare what i at what thought was a bright sumner cloud partially hidden behind local closer buildings.
It was actually a light beige-yellow-grayish cloud - and much denser. I realized it was a cloud of the collapse/destruction. I clapped my hands over my mouth and ran screaming back home. I flung myself on my bed and cried hard into my for about 10 mins (didn't know if my roomate(s) knew as their bedrooms were closed). I was too afraid to turn on the tv because from Sept 1980 - mid-August 1981 I spent that time along with other provisionals working in Tower Two (South) on the 73rd flr NE corner of it. The view was incredible, like being on a small mountain. Wasn't sure how i'd react, so i listened to public radio all day and evening. Then I turned on the tv late at night.

I never really cried again until going to the first post 9-11 U2 concert. Danced, sang and cried. Cathartic. But i had gone many times to the ever growing sad, deeply moving, beautiful memorial up in the south plaza of Union Square Park, as soon ad i could get back into Manhattan; since below 14th St only residents were allowed to go there Union Sq was the closest people could get.

Later on The Tribute In Lights remains one of the most beautiful and sublime pieces of art/memorial ever created. Been there many tines, as well WTC area each 9-11 till just a few yrs ago.

So much horror, then so much kindness that outflowed from that harrowing day. Strength for all affected.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #850
Blue Crack Supplier

Headache - you were in Long Island, right? Were you working there on 9-11? Or in one of NYC Burroughs?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #851
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
i also disagree with his assumption/observation/anecdote that there's a massive, energetic "grassroots" movement out there that will make any sort of real political difference. that's not based in any sort of evidence, nor does it acknowledge the backlash abolishing private insurance could provoke.
I think this is a reality that too many are ignoring. And unfortunately it also points to the biggest problem we have with our Dem candidates.

Do we want to energize the Democratic base? Yes we do. We learned from Clinton that we have to. But to get wrapped up in the progressive bubble and think that everyone feels like you do, and Sanders or Warren got some big crowds at some of their events, so it means that there's an army of progressive voters ready to win this thing - is just not reality.

We got that lesson just last night in North Carolina. The Democrat lost by two points in a district that went for Trump by 12.
Where was the big turning of the tide for votes? Did a sea of young people swarm the polls? LMAO!!! of course not. The southern suburbs of Charlotte. 35 - 55 year old, college educated adults. I think in that area it was a 13 point shift in what party they voted for.
That middle, moderate, independent voter is a reality. And THAT is what is making the movement and shift from red to blue from 2016 to 2018 to now and hopefully 2020.

I love Warren. Starting to overtake Biden as my first choice. But my gut tells me she would get clobbered in a district like this. And that scares the shit out of me. That is what the current problem is with our choices. You have Biden the moderate, swallow your medicine and vote cause its what's good for you - but will probably most easily win in the general.

And you have Sanders and Warren. The big policy changes and ideas, but will turning out more already reliable blue voters in already blue cities and states mean anything???
We need to win the midwest swing states, the North Carolinas, the Virginias, the Georgias, the Floridas, the Arizonas, hell, Texas!

So I am torn, and hope the debates and time will give us the candidate that we need to pull this out handily. I don't just want Trump to lose. I want him humiliated.

That is all.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #852
Blue Crack Supplier

If the threat of 4 more years of Trump isn’t enough to “motivate the base,” then nothing will ever be enough.

There was the working assumption that Clinton would win. I think that allowed some people to get all precious. I sincerely hope they won’t make the same mistake again.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #853
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

US Politics XV: Time to Mull Mueller Mania

Exactly. There’s literally no place you could be hiding and not know, and understand the crisis the USA and world face with a Trump win. You would have to come from such a spoiled, rich, and frankly nihilistic mindset to not be motivated to vote. You’d actually want the world to burn so you can have something to blame on others

I still want Warren, but a part of me is saying fuck it, nominate Sanders and let’s see if this works.

We hear about the grass roots, this progressive voting block that’s ready to take over. I’d rather have Sanders get it and prove it than have Biden and the constant bickering and infighting that’s going to happen.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #854
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
We got that lesson just last night in North Carolina. The Democrat lost by two points in a district that went for Trump by 12.
Where was the big turning of the tide for votes? Did a sea of young people swarm the polls? LMAO!!! of course not.
surely the fact that it was a one-off special house election on a random tuesday in september has nothing to do with the turnout, so let's use this one tiny solid-red district in north carolina that has elected nothing but republicans since JFK was alive to jump to some conclusions about the electability of left politics in a national election.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #855
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
surely the fact that it was a one-off special house election on a random tuesday in september has nothing to do with the turnout, so let's use this one tiny solid-red district in north carolina that has elected nothing but republicans since JFK was alive to jump to some conclusions about the electability of left politics in a national election.
Also the district DID shift pretty materially. A 10 point swing is not nothing.

The newest ABC/WaPo poll has all the major candidates beating Trump by 6-16 points. The Emerson poll has Andrew Yang, who I'm pretty sure most Americans wouldn't be able to pick out of a line up, beating Trump by 8 points. The guy is massively toxic.

And I totally called this:

Quote:
MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell said Wednesday that ousted national security adviser John Bolton "is not leaving quietly" and will return to TV to voice his displeasure with President Trump.

"He was tweeting his objections. He was texting reporters including our own reporters at the White House immediately," Mitchell told the network's "Morning Joe" program. "I was on the air when this all happened. It happened one minute before we started our show, so we blew everything out and just went wall-to-wall for the hour, and people were texting in and showing me their texts from John Bolton as we were rocking back and forth."

"The fact is he is going to be very outspoken," the veteran Washington reported added. "He is not leaving quietly at all.”
Let them go at each others like two pigs wrestling in the mud.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #856
Blue Crack Supplier

Heh, yeah.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #857
Blue Crack Distributor

He's fine

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/sta...015059968?s=09
Old 09-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #858
Blue Crack Addict

What, you don't talk about your son the same way?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #859
Blue Crack Addict

this sounds like all the ingredients for an episode of maury.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #860
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
This! As much as I hate trump (and I truly truly despise him) I am actually glad he fired Bolton! This guy was itching to start a war at all costs. I’m glad he is gone! But given trump’s record of picking people, I’m not too hopeful for Bolton’s replacement either.