US Politics XV: Time to Mull Mueller Mania - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #381
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,808
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Oh the irony of lecturing others on drinking the koolaid or making your own truth while Donald Trump is the president and the furthest you'll go as far as speaking out against him is "I'm aware of his foibles."
But, but, but... He supports the policies, not the person!
So yeah, razzias are OK.
Separating immigrant children from parents and locking them in cages is OK.
Actively doing anything to destroy the environment, so anything but conservation, is all fine and dandy.
Going into debt with huge tax cuts for the wealthy (putting them on welfare, so to say), exploding the budget deficit, is now also fine.
__________________

Popmartijn is offline  
Old 08-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #382
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 6,676
Local Time: 01:34 AM
At least Trump is inspiring Americans!!

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
__________________

womanfish is offline  
Old 08-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #383
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 32,875
Local Time: 09:34 PM
I am loving the conservative meltdown over the NYT’s really amazing 1619 project.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #384
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,149
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I am loving the conservative meltdown over the NYT’s really amazing 1619 project.
inb4 "black people aren't oppressed! democrat plantation! candace owens! bootstraps! inner city democrats! blexit! fatherlessness! i'm presenting facts! typical liberals!"
DaveC is offline  
Old 08-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #385
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,575
Local Time: 09:34 PM
from The Washington Post

Quote:
A Health and Human Services directive on Aug. 5 warned communication staffers not to post anything on social media related to mental health, violence and mass shootings without prior approval. That alarmed some government mental health experts who said they felt muzzled at a moment many Americans were searching for answers to the U.S. epidemic of mass shootings, said three agency employees.

Many researchers and mental health experts said Trump’s comments contradicted well established research.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

“Mental illness and hatred pull the trigger. Not the gun,” Trump said immediately after the shootings. In the following days, he doubled down on his statement, arguing that America should reopen mental institutions shuttered decades ago as a way to address mass shootings.

While mental illness is sometimes a factor in such shootings, it is rarely a predictor, according to a growing body of research. Most studies of mass shooters have found that no more than a quarter of them have diagnosed mental illness. Researchers have noted more commonly shared attributes include a strong sense of resentment, desire for notoriety, obsession with other shooters, a history of domestic violence, narcissism and access to firearms.

“To say that scientists and experts who know the data and facts best are not allowed to speak — that’s very concerning,” said Dominic Sisti, a University of Pennsylvania professor who studies ethics in mental health and psychiatry. “It’s especially alarming that they’re doing this at a critical moment when what we need most is research and evidence-based facts about mental illness.”

An HHS employee who spoke on the condition of anonymity to relate internal discussions said he had “no doubt this was meant to prevent anybody from making any statements that might contradict the president.

“We understand we’re not supposed to contradict the president, but it’s not typical” for the administration to require all social media posts be cleared by senior officials, he added.
dazzledbylight is online now  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #386
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,575
Local Time: 09:34 PM
(library was closing before i could add comment)


Sooooo, drumph, repeats and amplifies through his huuuuge megaphone the lies about people living with mental illness and violence. Multiple studies have shown that that propensity is a quite small increase above the general population.

And no one in the HHS or other related gov't areas can comment on Social Media with the truth that contradicts him.

Waaaay, to go ,donnie whipping up distrust against another vulnerable group of people.
dazzledbylight is online now  
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #387
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 32,875
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
inb4 "black people aren't oppressed! democrat plantation! candace owens! bootstraps! inner city democrats! blexit! fatherlessness! i'm presenting facts! typical liberals!"



I’m also enjoying “well why don’t we just tear down the pyramids while we’re at it” comments from the right
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #388
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 423
Local Time: 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Oh the irony of lecturing others on drinking the koolaid or making your own truth while Donald Trump is the president and the furthest you'll go as far as speaking out against him is "I'm aware of his foibles."
Some moderator.......your bias on this forum is a complete koke. Many have mentioned this but I'm highlighting again.

You and your forum buddies are so obsessed with Trump it's ridiculous.

I said I agree with some of his policies, and some I dont. Because I have a brain and I think for myself. Trump got a major win in prison reform, something you guys have on your "list of things we are for, right guys?" But since Trump did it, you don't like it or talk about it.

Diemen, your as bad as the rest with your typical "smartest guy in the room" liberal hubris. "If you don't agree with me and my forum buddies, we will mock you, insult you (yet offer no evidence that you're wrong).
Gzusfrk is online now  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:13 PM   #389
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,575
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I am loving the conservative meltdown over the NYT’s really amazing 1619 project.
Ooooo, i haven't heard their reactions yet.

One of the amazing exhibits i ever saw was on post-reconstruction era at a he Shomberg.
dazzledbylight is online now  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #390
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 16,803
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
yet offer no evidence that you're wrong

LMAO the tin foil is rammed in your ears you weird ass head dude
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #391
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,149
Local Time: 09:34 PM
"many have mentioned" that diemen is a complete koke.
DaveC is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 01:24 AM   #392
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post



I said I agree with some of his policies, and some I dont. Because I have a brain and I think for myself. Trump got a major win in prison reform, something you guys have on your "list of things we are for, right guys?" But since Trump did it, you don't like it or talk about it.




You truly are obsessed with Candace Owens aren’t you?

You realize this reform was supported on both sides, and based on a watered down version submitted by Dem?!

You try desperately, but everyone sees you’re unequipped.
BVS is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 AM   #393
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,407
Local Time: 08:34 PM
"You are so obsessed with Trump." Yeah, how dare people talk about Trump all the time! I mean, it's not like he's, y'know, the president, and this isn't a place to discuss politics, or anything.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #394
Blue Crack Addict
 
Babydoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany.
Posts: 22,280
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Some moderator.......your bias on this forum is a complete koke. Many have mentioned this but I'm highlighting again.

You and your forum buddies are so obsessed with Trump it's ridiculous.

I said I agree with some of his policies, and some I dont. Because I have a brain and I think for myself. Trump got a major win in prison reform, something you guys have on your "list of things we are for, right guys?" But since Trump did it, you don't like it or talk about it.

Diemen, your as bad as the rest with your typical "smartest guy in the room" liberal hubris. "If you don't agree with me and my forum buddies, we will mock you, insult you (yet offer no evidence that you're wrong).
You're*
Babydoll is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #395
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,450
Local Time: 09:34 PM
On CNN this morning, they did a millionth take on "let's talk to real Americans in Scranton" to hear their political views.

Predictably, those who think the economy is doing great are voting for Trump and those who are concerned about the economy are not. And even more predictably, the Trump voters will still vote for Trump even if the economy goes to shit because "the economy is always up and down anyway." A view that they hold only when a Republican is in the White House.

Finally, and this is the important bit - not a single one of the Trump voters they spoke to is willing to consider ANY Democrat, including Joe Biden, born in Scranton, who, in their view, has gone "too far left" and is "too progressive."

So there you have it, what many have been saying all along. These people are lost causes and the obsession in some Dem circles to nominate a moderate to appeal to them is completely delusional. And as for independents - we all know who Trump is. If he disgusts you, you'll vote for anyone to get him out. If you still (secretly) like him, you'll vote for him. Prof. Bitecofer is totally right and has the numbers to support her view that the election will be about exciting the base. The Democrats have an inherently larger base, and for heaven's sake, give that base a reason to vote for something rather than the milquetoast middle-of-the-road approach that is not only cowardly, but literally appeals to almost nobody in a totally polarized populace.
anitram is online now  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #396
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 6,676
Local Time: 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
On CNN this morning, they did a millionth take on "let's talk to real Americans in Scranton" to hear their political views.

Predictably, those who think the economy is doing great are voting for Trump and those who are concerned about the economy are not. And even more predictably, the Trump voters will still vote for Trump even if the economy goes to shit because "the economy is always up and down anyway." A view that they hold only when a Republican is in the White House.

Finally, and this is the important bit - not a single one of the Trump voters they spoke to is willing to consider ANY Democrat, including Joe Biden, born in Scranton, who, in their view, has gone "too far left" and is "too progressive."

So there you have it, what many have been saying all along. These people are lost causes and the obsession in some Dem circles to nominate a moderate to appeal to them is completely delusional. And as for independents - we all know who Trump is. If he disgusts you, you'll vote for anyone to get him out. If you still (secretly) like him, you'll vote for him. Prof. Bitecofer is totally right and has the numbers to support her view that the election will be about exciting the base. The Democrats have an inherently larger base, and for heaven's sake, give that base a reason to vote for something rather than the milquetoast middle-of-the-road approach that is not only cowardly, but literally appeals to almost nobody in a totally polarized populace.
While this is interesting, I find it is pretty much opposite of what we see in the underlying evidence of a whole host of polls that have been done. I think these group discussions are much less reliable, as human nature is to sort of "go along" with the group narrative. Polls done anonymously of just a single individual, you are going to get a more real answer.

This is where things stand right now.

Trump has lost the support of 33% of White Women without college degrees from 2016.

He is now behind with White Men with college degrees - down 10 points

Support from white women with degrees has dropped 27 points!!!

Even his strongest support - White men without degrees has dropped almost double digits

Registered women voters overall now support a Dem candidate over Trump 62 to 30%!!! That is a drop in support from women of 19 points from 2016.

Fox News poll specifically asked people who dislike both Trump and Biden. 45 to 10 they said they would vote Biden.

Polls in MI, WI, and MN asked - Does Trump deserve to be reelected?
Results were all similar from all states around 36 to 38% yes, 52 to 54% No.

We have already seen proven results, that moderate voters in suburbs were where the most gains were made in the 2018 midterms.

What you are missing is the motivation this time around for exciting the base. This time, it isn't about needing bold new ideas. This time its about beating Trump, plain and simple. It's the top priority of Dem voters when polled by double digits.
Getting Trump out IS what will bring people to the polls. Whether someone wants a public option or Medicare for all is not the issue this time around.

All that said, I have been so impressed with Warren. She is working hard and just has a good mix of connecting with voters and laying out specific plans. Unfortunately I think she would struggle in the general more than some others. But again, if she is the nominee, i do think that there just is a built in drive for all Dems this time to go to the polls no matter what, because our future depends on it.
Not our future of free child care or Medicare for all. But our basic future as a country and Democracy.
womanfish is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #397
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,611
Local Time: 08:34 PM
There comes a time where a spade has to be called a spade. If that makes me a koke, so be it.

Trump is a national and international embarrassment. That most Republicans have decided that getting their policies rammed through is worth the damage he is inflicting on our nation is a reflection of their lack of moral conviction. A Republican Party with a spine would have come up with a viable candidate to challenge this disaster as soon as they saw that he wasn’t going to magically “change with the office” once he got it. A Republican Party with a spine would do its best to distance itself as far as possible from this train wreck of a man and administration.

I really couldn’t care less that you or the other MAGA forum members think I’m a koke. Look at what you and your party have become. That’s the real joke.
Diemen is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #398
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,778
Local Time: 01:34 AM
So is Trumps tweet this morning more offensive to Jews or Christians?

King of Israel, second coming of Christ ?

Every day we see whatever is left of his mental ability deteriorate.

And no one who’s in power will do anything but tweet. Pelosi “prays” that Trump will get Moscow Mitch to open the senate. Really????

Oh and while all this madness is playing out on the social media / world stage, this admin has done the following

Request to hold immigrant children and families indefinitely

Deny flu shots to immigrants in the camps.

The cruelty isn’t the point anymore, it’s death
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #399
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 32,875
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
On CNN this morning, they did a millionth take on "let's talk to real Americans in Scranton" to hear their political views.

Predictably, those who think the economy is doing great are voting for Trump and those who are concerned about the economy are not. And even more predictably, the Trump voters will still vote for Trump even if the economy goes to shit because "the economy is always up and down anyway." A view that they hold only when a Republican is in the White House.

Finally, and this is the important bit - not a single one of the Trump voters they spoke to is willing to consider ANY Democrat, including Joe Biden, born in Scranton, who, in their view, has gone "too far left" and is "too progressive."

So there you have it, what many have been saying all along. These people are lost causes and the obsession in some Dem circles to nominate a moderate to appeal to them is completely delusional. And as for independents - we all know who Trump is. If he disgusts you, you'll vote for anyone to get him out. If you still (secretly) like him, you'll vote for him. Prof. Bitecofer is totally right and has the numbers to support her view that the election will be about exciting the base. The Democrats have an inherently larger base, and for heaven's sake, give that base a reason to vote for something rather than the milquetoast middle-of-the-road approach that is not only cowardly, but literally appeals to almost nobody in a totally polarized populace.



All this from one now cliche CNN diner-in-Trump-country segment?

i think the push behind Biden isn't so much that he's going to win over forgotten Joe Lunchpail, but that he won't frighten the suburban voters with educations and incomes who broke Democrat in 2018, the kind of voters who will very much be scared off by SOCIALISM and FREE HEALTH CARE FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS and ultimately vote based on their bottom line (at least the men do ... their wives are already likely super uncomfortable with racist President Sexual Assault already).

Biden represents the center of the party, not so much the man-from-Scranton. and he was also on the ticket that some Trump voters voted for twice.

i'm agreeing a lot with womanfish. my heart is being won by Warren, and that may be enough. we'll see. it would be the most wonderful poetic justice of all for a woman to destroy the Hog Emperor of Rape Culture. but if the motivation for the base is the removal of Trump, and Biden is seen as the best bet of that happening, then Biden becomes the motivation for the base. it's circular self-reinforcing, but it might also be what the reality on the ground really is, and right now, the polls support that. but it's early! i'm very curious to see how Warren will go after Biden in the debates -- to me, that will be instrumental in who i ultimately vote for.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #400
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,450
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
We have already seen proven results, that moderate voters in suburbs were where the most gains were made in the 2018 midterms.
This has been repeated a lot of times, regardless of how true it is.

Quote:
They might have many reasons that they cite, and probably this is not the reason they would cite. But what made them enraged and show up is Trump Inc., the negative partisanship. I don't know why Nancy Pelosi, the DCCC or many of these moderate members are convinced that moderate Republicans crossed over and voted for them. I have the data for some of these districts and the data tells a very different, very clear story: If Republicans voted in huge numbers, they voted for Republicans.

..

The truth of the matter is Democratic turnout, particularly in midterms, is so bad that with the giant surge the Democrats managed to put together, what they were able to do is come close to matching Republican turnout. Which is good, that's a major victory. But in many districts, especially where the candidates were focusing on being moderate, the Democratic turnout still underperformed its potential, and still underperformed turnout among Republicans, according to this analysis that I'll be releasing after Labor Day.
https://www.salon.com/2019/08/17/thi...2020-forecast/
__________________

anitram is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×