US Politics XIX: Just an Echo Chamber Living In Your Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he getting less votes because there's more people in the race at this time compared with 2016?

Yes, but it's not really as simple as that. It sort of means that Sanders kept his hardcore base, which is solid. But it means that a large portion of his support switched pretty easily to other people. Most of which are moderates.

NH for example. He got 60% last year, and looks like about 27% this year. Sure there are more candidates. But it also is why i can't call what Sanders has "momentum" He's winning because he's in favorable states for him, and he is the only one that ran last time, so he has existing support and infrastructure from 2016. So i would say he's performing sort of as expected. Where Pete defied expectations by winning Iowa. Amy defied expectations by coming in a close third above Biden and Warren in NH. Biden and Warren have both failed expectations, Biden more so.

States like Iowa and New Hampshire can be successfully campaigned by a field of candidates. Bernie isn’t necessarily losing voters to other campaigns so much as he is sharing the pie.

To get a fuller picture of how Sanders performs versus 2016, I would want to see the Super Tuesday and beyond states. At the end of the day we are just summing up (Sanders + Warren) + (Yang + Gabbard + other) vs. (Biden + Klobuchar) + (Pete + Steyer + other). New Hampshire likes their variety this year, clearly. Let’s see how the progressive + outsider sects perform versus the status quo in states like California etc., that should be a strong indicator of whether or not Sanders is actually losing votes.

Pete Buttigieg is the most cynical, empty candidate I've seen in some time. He has a remarkable ability to say absolutely nothing, and stands for absolutely nothing. Truly baffled by his appeal, though I don't think it will last once we get out of the two whitest states of this whole election season.

A wins a win, but can't help but think that the Sanders campaign isn't a little rattled by him not coming close to 30%. Especially after the second place (tie) In Iowa

I think this is the key takeaway.

So far, this isn’t a movement. The argument for his candidacy — that he’s a left wing Trump who inspires nonvoters to vote — hasn’t yet materialized.

Considering that Sanders did better in 2016 in the whiter states with caucuses and worse in diverse states, this can’t be all that encouraging.

But Iowa and NH are bullshit. We’ll see.

That’s pretty much what I was saying earlier. Let’s get to some real states that aren’t so susceptible to someone knocking on their doors with free pizza.

Despite the narrative around the campaign (that was fair to an extent in 2016 but not applicable in 2020), I'm quite confident that Iowa and New Hampshire being so white hurt Sanders. Especially if his "competition" is Buttigieg. Which is what has me confident heading into the next two. That said, Nevada is hard to predict with it being another insane caucus. Let's not forget when they held a vote in 2016 to just throw a bunch of delegates out, and then ignored the results of the vote to keep those delegates and threw them out anyway. Nevada is a total toss-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom