US Politics XIX: Just an Echo Chamber Living In Your Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you're right. I'm sure they are accepting the results, wishing Pete well and looking forward to the next primary!

You didn’t get it the first time, and you responded with a largely frustrating post that really just wasn’t worth responding to.

You’re focused on some uneducated twitter following as though it’s some legitimate criticism of Bernie Sanders candidacy, when it’s not. You’re consuming it as it is presented to you, allowing the Bernie Bro narrative to further your contempt for his candidacy.

It’s so entirely irrelevant and doesn’t embody the entirety of Sanders’ supporters or voters. It also doesn’t mean that followers of other campaigns don’t have their own idiots, as you’ve strangely suggested isn’t true. Bernie Sanders has a following on the internet, who are largely active on Twitter. You can literally go read any candidate’s twitter feed comments section and you’ll find dumbasses left and right. Bernie appeals to more mindless people on the internet. Great. I’m not seeing why it matters, unless he’s preaching something negative. Which he isn’t. So... your point of routinely bringing it up? Sounds to me like you’re fishing for this.

Read your history from actual sources, the parties never "switched platforms". Look up the "Southern Strategy" from somewhere other than Snopes. It's the SAME party, the SAME people.

That's why it's Hillary saying "they look alike", Biden saying "poor kids and white kids", Warren admitting that Democrats "only care about the black community at election time", not to mention all the blackface on Dems, THE PARTIES NEVER SWITCHED PLATFORMS. That's your liberal indoctrination speaking.

Scary....

Are you fucking kidding me? It’s terrifying to read the things you think.

That's why it's Hillary saying "they look alike", Biden saying "poor kids and white kids", Warren admitting that Democrats "only care about the black community at election time", not to mention all the blackface on Dems, THE PARTIES NEVER SWITCHED PLATFORMS.

not even a republican, an independent.

Last edited:
I’m still concerned that turnout for Iowa was barely 2016 level.

We’ve had over three years of Trump. Our republic is on the brink, if not already dead

And the Dems have no one that inspires. There’s no damn revolution.

Obama was something else. There was a buzz around town in 2008

Now I’m not in DSM anymore but by all accounts people are just burnout. Maybe a primary would have driven the numbers up

But i really hope it’s more Iowa just sucks and not another 2016 where the dem party is so fractured they can’t win

You didn’t get it the first time, and you responded with a largely frustrating post that really just wasn’t worth responding to.

You’re focused on some uneducated twitter following as though it’s some legitimate criticism of Bernie Sanders candidacy, when it’s not. You’re consuming it as it is presented to you, allowing the Bernie Bro narrative to further your contempt for his candidacy.

It’s so entirely irrelevant and doesn’t embody the entirety of Sanders’ supporters or voters. It also doesn’t mean that followers of other campaigns don’t have their own idiots, as you’ve strangely suggested isn’t true. Bernie Sanders has a following on the internet, who are largely active on Twitter. You can literally go read any candidate’s twitter feed comments section and you’ll find dumbasses left and right. Bernie appeals to more mindless people on the internet. Great. I’m not seeing why it matters, unless he’s preaching something negative. Which he isn’t. So... your point of routinely bringing it up? Sounds to me like you’re fishing for this.

I think the frustrating thing is that you think this isn't reflective of his supporters. Literally go through any thread that is critical of Bernie, and just look what you find. It's 75% this sort of thing. Not a few here and there. These were responses to CNN and Politico just reporting that Pete had gotten 2 more delegates from Iowa. Nothing critical, not an opinion post. Just a news report.

Of course all supporters have dumb asses. But it isn't the "everything is rigged" conspiracy theories, corrupt DNC, cheating, corporate shills, "I'll never vote for anyone except..." It just isn't.

To conflate the two is sort of like the media in 2016.
Donald Trump had a black man beaten at his rally today, said that all Mexicans are filth ridden animals and has three more women accuse him of sexual assault. BUT Hillary still couldn't come up with a very good answer when asked today about her emails. So as you can see, they both are really having a bad day.

And as much as you don't like to hear it, it is not irrelevant! I've heard so many people say, I like Bernie, but I just can't take his supporters. I'm not saying that this is directly reflective on Bernie himself. But IMO I think it makes it difficult for people that are sort of between candidates to want to hitch their wagon to that group.

He has a cult following like Trump does.
The plus side is that his cult is actually trying to work for positive things for the most part, while Trumps are a bunch of hate filled racists for the most part.

I'm not sure where you get that I have contempt for him or his candidacy because of his followers. The only contempt I have for Bernie comes straight from Bernie. And I don't have much.
And its nothing that would stop me for voting for him.
But I would hope you would concede that it makes it much harder for people outside of the Bernie circle to want to jump in and volunteer when their exposure to Bernie 's supporters is routinely negative.

People always say - If Biden wins, or Bloomberg wins or if Pete wins - how will they walk on eggshells over to Bernie's people and coax them over to join with them?
I mean, that's some bullshit. To be afraid of a group of people that should be, in the end fighting the same fight.
And with so much negativity and conspiracy driven thought, how does it make it easier for Bernie to bring non Sanders supporters to him if he wins?

The overall tone that's presented to the hundreds of millions of people on FB, IG and Twitter is negative. As a Sanders supporter, I would think you would be critical of it, instead of excusing it.

I mean it even made it to the SNL cold open this week.

"I don't know how or why it happened, but I am king of an internet army called - Bernie Bros. Could I stop them in their tracks? Of course. Should I? mmmmm... Yes.
Will I? ... Eh
Hillary says nobody likes me. Then why am i the most popular guy on 4chan?!?!

Oh, that is fucking perfect. Especially the clips of other Republican presidents compared to Trump.

Yes. Please. Every channel imaginable needs to play that ad on a loop from now until November.

I don't know, I'm not sure if Bloomberg has the money to keep it running that long. :wink: :D

I reckon there's a good 50% of people in this thread who are completely and utterly addicted to concern trolling the left. Plus there's mikal who's recently decided to pipe up with the daily 'URGH HUR HUR that's why BERNIE is the worst!!!' which had become tedious after the first time he posted it.

Read your history from actual sources, the parties never "switched platforms". Look up the "Southern Strategy" from somewhere other than Snopes. It's the SAME party, the SAME people.

That's why it's Hillary saying "they look alike", Biden saying "poor kids and white kids", Warren admitting that Democrats "only care about the black community at election time", not to mention all the blackface on Dems, THE PARTIES NEVER SWITCHED PLATFORMS. That's your liberal indoctrination speaking.

Scary....

So you didn’t realize Clinton was making fun of the old trope “they look alike”?

This is what happens when you get your news from Facebook memes.

And if the parties never “switched platforms” why were the Unite the Right, actual self identified neo nazis, wearing red hats? Have they just not gotten around to watching Dinesh D’Souza’s movie yet? Were they just confused about what attracted them to the right?

I reckon there's a good 50% of people in this thread who are completely and utterly addicted to concern trolling the left. Plus there's mikal who's recently decided to pipe up with the daily 'URGH HUR HUR that's why BERNIE is the worst!!!' which had become tedious after the first time he posted it.
Yea. That's what's tedious.

My hot take on how these cold whites will vote: Klobuchar takes second, right on Bernie’s heels.

As a former new Englander, her sensible shoes and practicality is going to go a long way with these non-excitable, calm folks.

(Excluding the maniacs going to tonight’s Trump Brownshirt rally)

He’s just killing it.

He can do this precisely BECAUSE he is running.

Otherwise he'd be constrained with respect to spending and a PAC would look sketchy.

What he's doing is literally the most expensive trolling in the history of mankind. The man has unlimited funds, may he keep doing this day in and day out.

Amy K coming in third would kind of throw everything in ever more disarray.

First, because based on that latest poll, she's siphoning votes from Mayor Pete. He already has a massive problem heading forward to the non-lily-white states. Second, because it pushes Warren into 4th or 5th which is just one step closer to being out. Fourth, because if you're Joe Biden you're now looking at three possible alternatives - Klobuchar, Buttigieg and Bloomberg that people seem to like better than you and with the exception of Klobuchar, all are better funded than he is.

Bernie will be the main benefactor of the centrists splitting their votes 3 or 4 ways.

After we see the results come in tomorrow from NH, just like a nice normal election day. It will be funny how the media's obsession with the "CHAOS OF IOWA!!!!" "DEMOCRATS IN DISARAY!!!!" Is totally forgotten and moved past.
But it's always the crooked liberal media that Trump so hates that seems to have to blow up tiny things from Democrats into huge, days long disasters, and Trump's actual democracy shredding actions are just sort of accepted. "He's resilient," "not your typical president"... blah blah

My hot take on how these cold whites will vote: Klobuchar takes second, right on Bernie’s heels.

As a former new Englander, her sensible shoes and practicality is going to go a long way with these non-excitable, calm folks.

(Excluding the maniacs going to tonight’s Trump Brownshirt rally)

Right on the mark, as I plan on voting for her.

Amy K coming in third would kind of throw everything in ever more disarray.

First, because based on that latest poll, she's siphoning votes from Mayor Pete. He already has a massive problem heading forward to the non-lily-white states. Second, because it pushes Warren into 4th or 5th which is just one step closer to being out. Fourth, because if you're Joe Biden you're now looking at three possible alternatives - Klobuchar, Buttigieg and Bloomberg that people seem to like better than you and with the exception of Klobuchar, all are better funded than he is.

Bernie will be the main benefactor of the centrists splitting their votes 3 or 4 ways.

So spot on. NH will be a disaster for regular liberal/moderate Dems. And the funny thing is, it will be because NH will vote for so many regular liberal/moderate Dems.
If you look at the latest polls it will be a near 60/40 split, moderate/progressive.
Yet Sanders is the beneficiary.

I don't even care at this point if they kept the first 4 states the same. Just mix them up and don't put the first two lily-white states first.

I think the only saving grace of having it split up like this among 5 still viable choices, is that it does actually force NV and SC to be more important this year. And people are actually waiting to see what those states do, instead of those states getting a narrowed down pack of 2 or 3 candidates.

So if we look at the polls now, you could have in the end after the first 4

Sanders - 1 first place finish (NH), Possible first or second in NV, second place in Iowa and probably 3rd in SC. Avg. 1.75

Warren - One third place in Iowa, possible 4th or 5th in NH, 4th or 5th in SC, possible 3rd or 4th in NV - Avg 4.0

Pete - One first place in IA, one second in NH, most likely 5th in SC and NH - Avg. 3.25

Biden - Fourth in IA, probably 4th in NH, first, but probably second in NV, first in SC
AAvg. - 2.75

Amy - Fifth in Iowa, we'll give her third in NH, and 6th in NV and SC - Avg. 5.0

That would put the averages at

Sanders
Biden
Pete
Warren
Amy

Then, we have to remember that this is all about delegates!
Iowa has - 41
NH - 24
NV - 36
SC - 54

If it shakes out around what I laid out, Biden and Sanders could be incredibly close in delegate count, with the others trailing far behind.

Now, I'm going to go back to watching NH coverage where every other story is about how Biden is completely out of this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom