US Politics XIX: Just an Echo Chamber Living In Your Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the newest (national) polling it seems that Sanders + Warren are pulling in ~40%ish of the vote. So let's say the centrists have 50-60%.

It looks increasingly likely that the question they have to ask themselves is would they rather vote for Bernie or Bloomberg?

And that will be what determines the outcome of the Dem primary.

Right. The polls favored Democrats. Which is why the closer numbers for Sanders makes people very nervous.

And? They didn’t “favor” the democrats. Most national polls were somewhat accurate. The democrats got more votes. Many people plugged their ears or read RCP averages (meaningless meaningless meaningless, meaningless) and ignored the clear suggestions in the various numbers that it wasn’t a runaway. Voting was at a 20-year low, and during a non-incumbency election. That’s (probably) unprecedented in modern times.

Don’t be so assumptive with polling.

on a day when Trump has just pardoned 13 people who are, generally, wealthy political insiders who have connections to Trump supporters, you are indeed all about the "me" and not the "we" if you have the opportunity to vote against Trump and choose not to exercise that opportunity to vote.

Proclaiming that you won’t vote for X Democrat nominee because s/he doesn’t fully support X policy, when the alternative is Donald J. Trump, seems to be the very height of privilege. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

After 2016 i don’t think we can say the polls mean anything. Yes Trump did close the gap closer to Election Day (thanks Comey), but right now it could say Bernie or Biden by 35+ and I’d still be on edge.

We are placing our hopes on Bernie bringing out a voter bloc that has never turned out to vote. My other concern with his brogade is if he does win the nomination they’ll be too busy congratulating themselves on social media and forget to actually vote in November

Hey Bro did you vote ??

Nah, Bro i assumed your were gonna do it

Ahhh Bro that’s exactly what i thought you were gonna do

Broooooohhhhhhhh

End scene

Proclaiming that you won’t vote for X Democrat nominee because s/he doesn’t fully support X policy, when the alternative is Donald J. Trump, seems to be the very height of privilege. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

I also don’t see how anyone could think that anyone the D’s nominate is going to pursue a platform that different from the others. It’s not like Bernie will impose M4A by fiat, nor will Bloomberg impose a nationwide stop-and-frisk program or do anything even remotely anti-trans just because he once (idiotically) used the word “it.”

We need to start to peel politics apart from identity. Identity politics is what gave us Trump.

I also don’t see how anyone could think that anyone the D’s nominate is going to pursue a platform that different from the others. It’s not like Bernie will impose M4A by fiat, nor will Bloomberg impose a nationwide stop-and-frisk program or do anything even remotely anti-trans just because he once (idiotically) used the word “it.”

We need to start to peel politics apart from identity. Identity politics is what gave us Trump.

This is spot on.
IF we take the Senate. Every one on the stage tomorrow will put through new health care plans that will most likely end up being a slightly toned up version of the ACA. They will all get back in the climate accord. They all will put forward new gun regulations. They all will alter the tax code to put it at least back to where it was under Obama. They all would nominate a liberal Justice. They all would try to strike a new deal with Iran. They all would step up re up sanctions on Russia. I think most would put through some sort of affordable college plan, possible daycare plan... the list goes on.

The real urgency is the Senate. Because even if people have all had enough of Trump, and either stay home or swing to the Dem side. The Senate races are different. People like to go with the name they know. So it will be tough.

It really would be nice if Amy and Pete got the hell out of this thing after NV and SC. And as much as it would be somewhat satisfying for me to see a Biden comeback in the next two states. If the polling is anywhere near accurate. That isn't in the cards.
Again if the polling is accurate, you may well see Bernie walk away with this thing once super tuesday is done.

A few wild cards. Biden comes out and has just a phenomenal debate performance and does a close second in NV and wins SC.
Or Biden just eats it at the debate, comes in third in NV and doesn't win SC.
Or, Bloomberg comes out and just blows the doors off at the debate. Places in second in NV and SC.
Or, Bloomberg crashes and burns at the debates. With it being his public debut, I think this would hobble him on super tuesday.
Those would be about the only 4 things that could significantly change the trajectory of the race right now IMO.

This is a description of a sociopath. Plain and simple.

While this will be my last mention of cultism. The true believers of Trump are cult members. Or unabashed racists. That really is the only explanation.

At least with Bernie, there is something to believe in. There is a belief in good and empathy and human kindness. There is also something in the person that you can actually admire, even if at times it annoys or irritates. you.

But Trump. There is nothing but pure, flat, lifeless, emotionless, rot. To the core. No redeeming qualities. Not one.

So question...

If Bloomberg just gets beat to shit tomorrow night. What happens?

My best guess. Because his rise in the polls has been completely abstract and somewhat artificial. I think you see his poll numbers tank almost immediately.

Next question. What if Bloomberg comes out and just tears it up tomorrow night?

My best guess. People's thoughts in the back of their minds that he is one that can beat Trump is realized and you see a complete dismissal of Biden/Amy/Warren/Pete. And he pulls even in the polls with Bernie.

My assumption. He does... ok. Takes a lot of hits, gives some hits, but nothing groundbreaking.

Now if Biden doesn't come out swinging tomorrow night. And he thinks he can fly under the radar of Bernie and Bloomberg going at each other. He doesn't deserve to win.

So question...

If Bloomberg just gets beat to shit tomorrow night. What happens?

My best guess. Because his rise in the polls has been completely abstract and somewhat artificial. I think you see his poll numbers tank almost immediately.

Next question. What if Bloomberg comes out and just tears it up tomorrow night?

My best guess. People's thoughts in the back of their minds that he is one that can beat Trump is realized and you see a complete dismissal of Biden/Amy/Warren/Pete. And he pulls even in the polls with Bernie.

My assumption. He does... ok. Takes a lot of hits, gives some hits, but nothing groundbreaking.

Now if Biden doesn't come out swinging tomorrow night. And he thinks he can fly under the radar of Bernie and Bloomberg going at each other. He doesn't deserve to win.
He will take all the jabs tonight. His presence, tomorrow at least, is a godsend for Sanders - as Sanders, as the front runner, would have been the one with the knives coming for him.

The person who could gain the most by having a good night is Amy. I think she's the only one who could really sting Bloomberg. Pete has his issues from South Bend and Biden voted for the crime bill (so did Bernie, btw... which I think will be Bloomberg's response to attacks here. A "we all have our mistakes" thing), so I don't know how much they want to go down the attack road on stop and frisk. Amy can go all in if she chooses.

The person with the most to lose is obviously Biden. If he (again) looks like he's lost a step, and Bloomberg does well? Man... even though he's still doing fairly well in the state by states, I just don't see how he survives.

https://twitter.com/merica/status/1229945441313329152?s=21

Is it not fair to want to know the full health report of a 78 year old who had a heart attack months ago?

Same goes for Trumps medical visit that we’ve all forgotten about.

Or are there no rules or norms anymore ?

Clinton gets overheated and the news cycles were calling her time of death.

Yeah. Again, as someone who will willingly vote for Sanders if he’s the nominee, this really pisses me off. I need to know that the guy I’m voting for is going to live the full term.

Not even the full term, make it to Election Day.

Really curious who he picks as his running mate.

Has there been any rumors at all?

Who, Trump? You mean Trump, who wouldn’t have openly admitted he had a heart attack?

What is your statement trying to say here? Bernie Sanders is modeling after Donald Trump? HOW?

By constantly attacking any request or criticism as FAKE NEWS

Except for Bernie it’s

RIGGED
ESTABLISHMENT
SMEAR CAMPAIGN
THIS IS LIKE BIRTHIRISM

He cannot handle being challenged. Neither can Trump.

He also said he was going to release his medical information.

Now he’s saying he isn’t going to. Why?

He’s lucky to have congress health coverage (plus Medicare) cause no insurance company would cover him for being such a high risk.

I’ll vote for him but i do not like him, his campaign at all.

And don’t think Trump won’t leak any confidential Bernie info in the run up to the election.

We’ll never see Trumps taxes, but you can bet we’ll see all of Bernie’s.

Hope he’s got nothing to hide

Last edited:
Who, Trump? You mean Trump, who wouldn’t have openly admitted he had a heart attack?

What is your statement trying to say here? Bernie Sanders is modeling after Donald Trump? HOW?

It’s because he’s doing the same kind of projection technique that Trump does.

He will take all the jabs tonight. His presence, tomorrow at least, is a godsend for Sanders - as Sanders, as the front runner, would have been the one with the knives coming for him.

The person who could gain the most by having a good night is Amy. I think she's the only one who could really sting Bloomberg. Pete has his issues from South Bend and Biden voted for the crime bill (so did Bernie, btw... which I think will be Bloomberg's response to attacks here. A "we all have our mistakes" thing), so I don't know how much they want to go down the attack road on stop and frisk. Amy can go all in if she chooses.

The person with the most to lose is obviously Biden. If he (again) looks like he's lost a step, and Bloomberg does well? Man... even though he's still doing fairly well in the state by states, I just don't see how he survives.

Interesting take on Amy. I do have a feeling that Amy and Warren are going to come out hard tonight. We will hear the same usual Bernie lines, and I think it will be the regular Bernie performance. But Warren and Amy have nothing to lose at this point. I see them going for jugular.
I feel like Pete may get pushed into the background a bit tonight, we shall see.

Biden cannot hide tonight. I think he needs to say 2 things straight to camera.

One. Something like:
"I want to take one minute and talk to directly to my African American and Latino supporters. I'm going to tell it to you straight. I've spent decades building relationships in communities of color. Getting to know you and your families. Your struggles and your great achievements. As president I will be there for you after all this is over.
We have two billionaires on this stage practically handing out money on the streets of NV and SC. Trying to use you as a stepping stone to get into the Oval Office. But I promise you. You'll be forgotten like yesterday's trash. The only one that will be here for you, and fight for you, when all this is said and done is me. I have all along, and my heart and my support is with you, and I hope yours is for me as well..."

I think his closing should be something like:

I think everyone in this room, and watching tonight agrees that beating Donald Trump is our number one priority. Everyone on this stage is going to fight for better health care, environmental protections, gun regulations and better jobs. But who can beat the most corrupt president in our country's history?
Polls out today again show me beating Trump by eight points nationwide and most importantly. I beat him by eight points in all of the critical swing states. Senator Sanders is in a statistical tie in those states! And that's before Trump's smear campaign even starts. That's a gamble we can't take. I've already weathered Trump's lies about me and my family. He's got nothing left to throw at me. I want everyone to really think about that as you step into the voting booth, or line up to caucus. Everything is on the line and I'm the only one that you know can beat Trump and beat him badly.

Will he do this? Probably not. And that saddens me. The media's whole narrative is that he is already out of this race, and you see that then become the public opinion after a while. Someone needs to come out and wake people up about what really matters here. And that person should be him.
Saw Simone Sanders on this morning. I like her a lot. But she was talking about how Biden is going to talk about health care and gun control tonight. Wake the fuck up man. That is just astounding to me. And truly sad to see.

i love how bernie having a heart attack and not immediately revealing every detail to the public about it is just like trump it's a cult ohemgee he'll be dead by november, while the reveal over the last few days of bloomberg having had attitudes adjacent to "grab her by the pussy" for decades has been casually handwaved away or just ignored outright here.

literally two people besides me have mentioned it and one was "well he's not doing anything anti-trans on day one" and the other was "surprise surprise a a CEO treats his employees like shit, trump supporters can't talk about morality anymore".

think of the response here if it came out that sanders has spent decades making sexist comments about women like this, or a tape was revealed where he openly talked about black neighbourhoods being "where all the crime is". this place would crucify him relentlessly for a week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom