US Politics XIX: Just an Echo Chamber Living In Your Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And sadly, these same people don't realize that we have Trump, at least in part, because of them.

Thank you. The fact that anyone can't learn their lesson after having three and half years of Trump, is truly lost. And a cult follower at best.

This. I actually saw a post on Facebook from a girl who said that if you don’t vote for Bernie, you are un-American. And then she went on to say that if Bernie isn’t the Democratic candidate, she’ll stay home and not vote at all. As good as a vote for Trump, basically. This narrow vision needs to end.

I actually like some of Bernie’s ideas. Other than my concern of what would happen to the almost 2 million insurance jobs, I think Medicare For All is great. I also don’t think it’s electable this year as it’s seen as too extreme by many. This election simply needs to be about getting Trump out and doing what we can to reverse the damage, then start implementing the bigger ideas.

Not sure if you’re talking to me? Or where the punchline was. I just posted a press release and then made fun of Dave C, our forum’s very own Rudy Giuliani defender.

Umm... what?

I don’t know why you’ve decided to troll DaveC, but it needs to stop.

Other than my concern of what would happen to the almost 2 million insurance jobs, I think Medicare For All is great.

I think quite a few of us would just transfer into the new model, or be in some supplemental insurance role. Providers are still gonna be garbage fires when it comes to billing, so people will still need to put eyes on a lot of claims. But I can’t say that I’m not at all worried about what I’d do for work if it happened, because I love this job and am good at it.

I think quite a few of us would just transfer into the new model, or be in some supplemental insurance role. Providers are still gonna be garbage fires when it comes to billing, so people will still need to put eyes on a lot of claims. But I can’t say that I’m not at all worried about what I’d do for work if it happened, because I love this job and am good at it.

Yeah and you might be right. I just haven’t seen a real solid plan of what would happen to all of those people who work in insurance. The economic impact could be pretty significant if a good portion of them become unemployed or make lower salaries.

is saving 2 million jobs really preferable to saving 68,000 lives every year?

Well you have to have some sense of balance and think about the cause and effect. Of course I want lives to be saved, but it has to be done right where we don’t have a significant chunk of 2 million ppeople’s paychecks affected.

my first reply was 100% to what was in the bloomberg email, you're the one who made it about me :shrug:

Take a deep breath man. Just was having a little fun with you since you seemed so eager to try to pin some sort of hypocrisy on me when if you knew me, I talk shit all the time in all directions. Nothing personal on you.

Well you have to have some sense of balance and think about the cause and effect. Of course I want lives to be saved, but it has to be done right where we don’t have a significant chunk of 2 million ppeople’s paychecks affected.

perhaps the $450 billion saved per year under medicare for all might help to mitigate that effect for the insurance workers who lose their jobs.

This. I actually saw a post on Facebook from a girl who said that if you don’t vote for Bernie, you are un-American. And then she went on to say that if Bernie isn’t the Democratic candidate, she’ll stay home and not vote at all. As good as a vote for Trump, basically. This narrow vision needs to end.

I guess that's the part that really confuses me. Yes, I would love it if a Democratic president would pass every last piece of legislation I want, and I hope we get that, whomever the nominee winds up being.

But I would much rather vote for somebody who I can guarantee will pass at least SOME of what I want instead of just stay home and wind up continuing to be stuck with a president who's going to support absolutely NONE of what I want. I really do not get the people who think staying home will achieve a damn thing.

perhaps the $450 billion saved per year under medicare for all might help to mitigate that effect for the insurance workers who lose their jobs.

How would that be done (if we’d indeed save 450 billion)? Through severance packages and free education for anyone who loses their job in the insurance industry? And how would you guarantee that those savings would actually get to those affected in a Republican Senate?

I think that everyone should watch the first 20 minutes of Lawrence O'Donnell tonight. He makes the point that at certain times in the life of our country and democracy, it is not about voting in favor of everything you are for. But voting for everything you are against.
He gave the example of the defining moment of John McCain's career. Not some bill that he passed. But that he voted against striking down the ACA.

That iconic thumbs down is what we need to do as a country, as a party. Even a split party, we have to agree that nothing. And I mean nothing, even scrapes the surface of the vileness and corruption of what we have now.

I don't know of any liberal/moderate, non-brainwashed, Democrat that would stay home because Sanders got the nomination. I personally don't think he would be a great president. But who gives a shit. He's not Trump.

So it infuriates me to see these privileged assholes, with what I can only assume is very limited understanding of how representative democracy works and its purpose, spout on about not voting for anyone but Bernie.

Full disclosure. I was raised in a cult.

I know how a cult works. I left the cult of my own free will when I was 18. I have studied cults. I see the same traits of many Bernie and Trump followers. I stopped supporting Bernie in 2016 when so many of the interactions I had with Sanders supporters brought back the feelings that I knew so well.

Our country. Our democracy. Our every day lives are at stake here. And I fucking wish I was being hyperbolic. But you all know that I'm not.
If Bernie is the nominee. Great. I will be there with bells on to vote for him. I expect pretty much none of his policies to be implemented. And that's fine. It's not Trump. So I support it. But I think the Senate is doomed if he is the nominee. So other than executive order, there will be nothing done. And the judicial branch will continue to slip from our control.

I await a response from Jerry, defending his sworn leader. Just like I used to defend mine. All those that questioned or criticized the chosen one, were mislead, mistaken, somehow nefarious. It's amazing to see tens of millions of people under this sort of indoctrination.

Not sure if you’re talking to me? Or where the punchline was. I just posted a press release and then made fun of Dave C, our forum’s very own Rudy Giuliani defender.

I was definitely talking to you. If you think that’s a “press release” in the nominal sense, you’re as gullible as that campaign wants you to be.

And yes, you posted it in mic drop fashion. Except it is incoherent attempts at propaganda.

I was definitely talking to you. If you think that’s a “press release” in the nominal sense, you’re as gullible as that campaign wants you to be.

And yes, you posted it in mic drop fashion. Except it is incoherent attempts at propaganda.

You came across as really tough in this post. I’m kind of impressed and want to touch your biceps now.

You came across as really tough in this post. I’m kind of impressed and want to touch your biceps now.

Your random new web forum troll character is lame. Also, don’t talk to me that way, I take offense to your homoerotic humor. You’re not gay, stop.

Bernie supporters under more scrutiny on their attacks on Culinary.

Disclaimer: no I’m not trying to troll but pointing out that this is going to start to become a big problem for Bernie if it doesn’t get under control.

The fact that you're not at 100% for Warren vs Donald Trump is frankly, appalling.

He is basically half brain-dead and degenerating at an exponential rate before our eyes, while continuing to be propped up by a criminal cabal.

If his is how even a fraction of the 30% who support Bernie will behave, then the whole world is fucked, honestly.

I agree completely. You can't always get what you want, if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.

L
How is that relevant to my comment that the whole world is fucked?

It's been a number of years since I've lived in the US (in an evil, blue state, obv).

It's not relevant. There's no citizenship or residency requirement before one can realize how much Trump has fucked things up and continues to do so. Has been given a blank check by the GOP Senate and House too.

Should we build a wall around FYM too?

No - but the Rudy AIDS comment was not cool. And I have zero issues with bashing Rudy - just not that way.

Excuse me, but who are you to be saying what mikal said was acceptable? If a guy tells me, a (gay) guy, he wants to feel my body as he’s trolling me on a web forum, I have every right to be annoyed by that.

What blows my mind is that you’re able to sit here and rail at Bernie bros for this behavior, and yet mikal is literally behaving exactly like one. But, according to multiple posters on this forum, that behavior is exclusive to Bernie bros and nobody on the left is like them at all in any way.

Excuse me, but who are you to be saying what mikal said was acceptable? If a guy tells me, a (gay) guy, he wants to feel my body as he’s trolling me on a web forum, I have every right to be annoyed by that.

What blows my mind is that you’re able to sit here and rail at Bernie bros for this behavior, and yet mikal is literally behaving exactly like one. But, according to multiple posters on this forum, that behavior is exclusive to Bernie bros and nobody on the left is like them at all in any way.

Ok after that, I no longer want to feel your biceps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom