US Politics XIX: Just an Echo Chamber Living In Your Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, unbelievable luck for Trump that these things are coming out about Bloomberg. Btw when were the Access Hollywood tape comments "fully litigated"? I don't remember that.

I haven't read the Post article, but from what I've heard about it it sounds like Bloomberg is another guy who just couldn't see women as professional equals worthy of respect. Very depressing in 2020.

Politico.com

Kellyanne Conway: Bloomberg’s sexist comments ‘far worse’ than Trump’s
She was responding to a Washington Post report on Bloomberg.

By EVAN SEMONES

02/16/2020 10:16 AM EST

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway on Sunday slammed sexist remarks Mike Bloomberg reportedly made to women who worked for him, saying they are “far worse” than what President Donald Trump said on the infamous “Access Hollywood“ tape.

The Washington Post reported on Saturday that a booklet was given to the Democratic presidential candidate in 1990 that contained a collection of sexist remarks he made during his time at the company he founded. The Post article discussed his history of problematic remarks and behavior to women.

Conway told host Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday” that Bloomberg’s comments are “fair game,” even though Trump has faced similar allegations of misogynistic remarks.

“That was fully litigated,” Conway said about profane remarks Trump admitted to making about women in a 2005 “Access Hollywood“ tape that was leaked shortly before the 2016 election. “We want to know the person behind the half a billion dollars worth of ads.”

Bloomberg, having experienced a rise in national polls, is now facing heightened scrutiny over his political and personal history. He has denied many of the allegations made against him, but Conway predicted they would become a greater issue for the three-term New York mayor.

“The way Michael Bloomberg treated female employees … to have created that kind of culture, that unsafe workplace, to feel that you're being harassed because of your gender, that is problematic,” Conway said. “I think you're going to hear more of it.”

I'm all for calling out any comments of that sort from people like Bloomberg, because, yeah, I don't want a Democrat saying shitty stuff like that, either.

That being said, Conway and any and all Trump supporters need to shut the hell up in regards to this topic. They have absolutely zero room to get on any kind of moral high horse about anything.

I love it, “the President, not so much”.....then what have you handful of keyboard warriors been prattling on about for four years, and hundreds of useless pages on an Internet forum? To think of the amount of hours wasted.

Yeah, cause if president Sanders is in the Oval Office and McConnell is still leader of the Senate, he's suddenly going to push through all those hundreds of Democratic bills that have been sitting on his desk for 2 years, and of course will hop right on Medicare for All, free college, student loan forgiveness, gun reform, wealth tax....

You're a genius.

I'm all for calling out any comments of that sort from people like Bloomberg, because, yeah, I don't want a Democrat saying shitty stuff like that, either.

That being said, Conway and any and all Trump supporters need to shut the hell up in regards to this topic. They have absolutely zero room to get on any kind of moral high horse about anything.

Oh the anti-Bloomberg train is running full steam on all media. MSNBC leading the pack. They actually had a guy on yesterday that said. "Listen, Bloomberg and stop and frisk is a problem, because who knows if he becomes president if he will make that a nationwide policy."

Jesus fucking christ.

Funny how with Trump, the "liberal" media just sort of plays off his daily scandals and abuses of power with comments like, well he's not your typical politician. This is "unprecedented" :doh:
But if the Democrats have a not typical candidate... Uh OH! Stop and Frisk is the new Hillary's emails.
Every time we shoot ourselves, not just in the foot, but in the face.

But if the Democrats have a not typical candidate... Uh OH! Stop and Frisk is the new Hillary's emails.
Every time we shoot ourselves, not just in the foot, but in the face.

hillary's emails was a tiny nothing blown up into a giant ball of literal fake news in order to whip up the fury of a crowd of idiots.

real people were discriminated against and lives were lost and families destroyed forever because of stop and frisk.

those two things are not at all equivalent.

hillary's emails was a tiny nothing blown up into a giant ball of literal fake news in order to whip up the fury of a crowd of idiots.

real people were discriminated against and lives were lost and families destroyed forever because of stop and frisk.

those two things are not at all equivalent.

I'm not saying they are equal. I'm saying that this was something that was known. Not a secret, that he came out and apologized for and said directly that he didn't realize the consequences of it for people and families of color. He should have put a stop to it and he didn't and that was a failure on his part. Ok. It is a part of his record.

But I'm making the equivalency to the coverage. Like Clinton's emails, there could be no story about her at any time, with them making the emails part of it.
Today Trump had 5 more women accuse him of sexual assault, released stolen emails hacked from the DNC, sat down and farted on an American flag.
But boy, Hillary and those emails, am I right?

Seriously, a week of coverage now about something that was already known about and has been addressed and has no way for him to change history on. That's what I'm talking about.

I love it, “the President, not so much”.....then what have you handful of keyboard warriors been prattling on about for four years, and hundreds of useless pages on an Internet forum? To think of the amount of hours wasted.
Sounds pathetic.

Now imagine this... A guy who is so pathetic that he hangs around the same forums just to troll people. That's like twice as pathetic, by your chosen metrics.

I'm not saying they are equal. I'm saying that this was something that was known. Not a secret, that he came out and apologized for and said directly that he didn't realize the consequences of it for people and families of color. He should have put a stop to it and he didn't and that was a failure on his part. Ok. It is a part of his record.

But I'm making the equivalency to the coverage. Like Clinton's emails, there could be no story about her at any time, with them making the emails part of it.
Today Trump had 5 more women accuse him of sexual assault, released stolen emails hacked from the DNC, sat down and farted on an American flag.
But boy, Hillary and those emails, am I right?

Seriously, a week of coverage now about something that was already known about and has been addressed and has no way for him to change history on. That's what I'm talking about.

i can assure you that the majority of the nation doesn't know what stop and frisk was or the effects it had. they might have heard the term before but it needs to be discussed on a national level if he's going to be a national candidate.

just because you feel it's "been addressed" (whatever that means) and he apologized, that everyone should just leave it in the past like it was just a simple mistake in judgement. nobody died or was unfairly thrown in prison for hillary's emails. there are a lot of people out there who can't just "move on".

voting for sanders is immoral.

now there's a hell of a take.

Will Sanders help flip Senate seats in AZ and NC?

You realize that President Sanders will pass next to nothing if McConnell is stillSenate Majority leader in 10 months.

Sounds pathetic.

Now imagine this... A guy who is so pathetic that he hangs around the same forums just to troll people. That's like twice as pathetic, by your chosen metrics.

Sorry to hurt your feelings. To you and your other warriors, someone is a troll if they disagree with you or call out your consistent hypocrisy and desperate attempts at liberal street cred from a group of stereotypical rich, white liberal elites

Sorry to hurt your feelings. To you and your other warriors, someone is a troll if they disagree with you or call out your consistent hypocrisy and desperate attempts at liberal street cred from a group of stereotypical rich, white liberal elites
It was more about the hours wasted than any actual political leaning you ignoramus

Will Sanders help flip Senate seats in AZ and NC?

You realize that President Sanders will pass next to nothing if McConnell is stillSenate Majority leader in 10 months.

and how exactly does this make casting a vote for sanders an immoral act?

you can disagree with bernie all you want but framing a vote for bloomberg as some kind of moral imperative is insulting. bernie sanders is not some malevolent force that must be stopped for the good of us all.

Do you hear that guys? We’re all rich!!

A group of doesn’t mean ALL. A simple reread would have determined that.

Nice deflection from topic though.

This has become nothing but a liberal support group, goodness gracious

good, so we agree that framing a vote for anyone as "the moral thing to do" in this primary is stupid.

let's get to the general election (when it's plainly obvious what the moral thing to do is) before we start making proclamations like that.
I do agree. Frankly morality has been tossed around way too much in here by both sides of the liberal divide. The only immoral candidate for president is named Donald John Trump and any attempt to frame ANY of the Democratic candidates as immoral or "the same" is an absolute joke and only goes to harm the left.

good, so we agree that framing a vote for anyone as "the moral thing to do" in this primary is stupid.

let's get to the general election (when it's plainly obvious what the moral thing to do is) before we start making proclamations like that.

You’re pretty hung up on the word “moral” — especially since some of our Bernie Bros frame health care as either voting for Bernie or you’re complicit in actually murdering people, or that if you vote for Biden you are a bad person. I shouldn’t have used that word.

If we are to agree that it’s a moral imperative to not just defeat Trump but also flip the Senate, the best vote is for the nominee who will accomplish both those things.

Rush Limbaugh is on his fourth marriage. Trump sure has done some disgusting things, but giving that Medal of Freedom to Limbaugh ranks near the top. Completely self serving pandering to his base for sure and typical of Mr. Man, but disgusting all the same. Even Mr. Man would vote for a gay man, Rush.

Vox.com

Former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg responded Sunday to homophobic comments right-wing radio show host Rush Limbaugh made about him last Wednesday by standing firmly by his marriage.

Limbaugh, who was feted by President Donald Trump at the 2020 State of the Union address, and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, referred to Buttigieg as “Booty-gieg” on his radio show last week, and offered a bitterly bigoted take on how the former’s mayor’s sexual orientation would affect his chances of winning the presidential nomination.

“[Democratic Party officials must be] saying, ‘OK, how’s this going to look, 37-year-old gay guy kissing his husband on stage next to Mr. Man Donald Trump? What’s going to happen there?’” Limbaugh said. “They’ve got to be saying, that despite all the great progress and despite all the great wokeness, and despite all the great ground that’s been covered, America’s still not ready to elect a gay guy kissing his husband on the debate stage president.”

Limbaugh added that Buttigieg would be an ideal rival to Trump, who he said would “have fun” facing off against a politician who “loves kissing his husband on debate stages.”

Buttigieg is the first openly gay candidate to mount a major presidential campaign in American history, and has been married to his husband, Chasten, for over two years.

Sunday, CNN’s Dana Bash asked Buttigieg to respond to the comments on State of the Union.

“Well, I love my husband. I’m faithful to my husband. On stage we usually just go for a hug, but I love him very much,” Buttigieg said. “And I’m not going to take lectures on family values from the likes of Rush Limbaugh.”

And in an appearance appearance on Fox News Sunday, Buttigieg took an opportunity to use Limbaugh’s remarks to take a direct strike at Trump.

“I’m not going to be lectured on family values from the likes of Rush Limbaugh or anybody who supports Donald J. Trump as the moral as well as political leader of the United States,” Buttigieg said.

“America has moved on, and we should have politics of belonging that welcomes everybody,” Buttigieg continued. “That’s what the American people are for. And I am saddened for what the Republican Party has become if they embrace that kind of homophobic rhetoric.”

Limbaugh often makes ugly remarks — these however, have drawn bipartisan rebuke
Limbaugh’s comments were par for the course with him. Despite being given a civilian honor typically reserved for those who have made positive contributions to American life like Toni Morrison and Ansel Adams, the radio personality has long been a divisive figure who openly peddles racist, sexist, and otherwise inflammatory views.

As Vox’s Laura McGann has explained, “Limbaugh fills hours of airtime each week with hateful commentary directed at African Americans, Asian Americans, women, people with disabilities, and pretty much anyone who is not white, straight, and male.”

He has mocked the president of China by saying, “Hu Jintao was just going, ‘Ching cha. Ching chang cho chow. Cha chow. Ching cho. Chi ba ba ba. Kwo kwa kwa kee,” said the NBA should be rebranded “the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association,” and has recently made sexist, ablest attacks on teenaged climate activist Greta Thunberg. And these are just a few of his many, many hateful remarks.

Limbaugh’s remarks are part of why his base tunes into his show, and have not always drawn bipartisan criticism, but his most recent attacks on Buttigieg did just that, with both Republicans and Democrats censuring him.

A spokesman for Sen. Lamar Alexander, a Republican from Tennessee, said: “There may be reasons not to vote for Mayor Buttigieg, but that’s not one of them. This is a tolerant country.”

“It’s a miscalculation as to where the country is at,” Trump ally South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said. “I think the country is not going to disqualify somebody because of their sexual orientation.”

Democrats offered stronger condemnation, with former Vice President Joe Biden praising Buttigieg and calling Limbaugh’s language “part of the depravity of this administration.”

Sen. Elizabeth Warren tweeted, “These homophobic attacks against [Buttigieg] are hateful and offensive. ... We will fight together against the hate and bigotry that Donald Trump promotes and rewards.”

And while he did not exactly criticize the man he honored weeks ago, even Trump suggested Limbaugh may have gone too far. When asked during an interview with Geraldo Rivera on Cleveland’s Newsradio WTAM if Americans would vote for a gay man to be president, Trump said, “I think so.”

“I think there would be some that wouldn’t. I wouldn’t be among that group, to be honest with you,” he added.

and how exactly does this make casting a vote for sanders an immoral act?

you can disagree with bernie all you want but framing a vote for bloomberg as some kind of moral imperative is insulting. bernie sanders is not some malevolent force that must be stopped for the good of us all.

No one is saying Sanders is malevolent. I just think he's egocentric, and I think his base is worshiping a person, that they have deemed some sort of savior. That single-handedly he would wave his hand and make these changes.

Bernie is an independent, running for the Democratic nomination, while demonizing and helping push conspiracy theories about the DNC, the entity that is there to help fund all of the house and senate races in the country.
If Sanders is the nominee, he will collect his 22 bucks or whatever it is from 1.5 million people each month and that will be used for Bernie. Because Bernie is concerned with his success over the success of the party which he doesn't see eye to eye with.

Both his view and the view of his supporters is a recipe for disaster. Possibly losing the presidency because his base may not be broadened, if he isn't flexible enough to allow for a more broad, moderated platform. And a base of supporters that doesn't really focus on other races on the ticket except for the name at the top.

There’s nothing immoral at all in regards to voting for Bernie. If you take his policies (and nothing to do with him), I’d say they’re the most compassionate laws one could pass (and Warren).

It’s more i have no idea what or who Bernie really is. My view is he’s someone who doesn’t wants to always be the outsider. The one throwing rocks at the establishment

But actually pressed to what he would or can do when in a position of power he tends to fold.

It reminds me of that episode of family guy with Rush Limbaugh. Democrats get into power, meaning Brian the bleeding heart liberal should be happy, and instead he’s the opposite. So he switches sides to the GOP/Rush because he must fight against something.

Not saying Bernie would be a Republican (or would he if it meant he could win???)

It’s that no one knows how Bernie is going to lead because he’s never had to do it

feel free to fuck off forever anytime if this place is so horrible.

Haha! The typical sophomoric response from Dave C, would expect nothing less.

It’s not horrible, pathetic and sad, maybe, but not horrible

A group of doesn’t mean ALL. A simple reread would have determined that.

Nice deflection from topic though.

This has become nothing but a liberal support group, goodness gracious

That’s rich coming from mr “painting with a broad stroke” himself.

Also, given your penchant for disappearing when people actually try and engage you in dialogue, your criticism doesn’t really bear all that much weight.

Haha! The typical sophomoric response from Dave C, would expect nothing less.

It’s not horrible, pathetic and sad, maybe, but not horrible

just saying, if i was on a forum where literally nobody respected a single one of my opinions and everyone laughed at me every time i posted, i'd probably leave. [emoji2369]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom