US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys know the red states are the ones with all the nuclear missile silos, right?
Fuck
Except all the scientists who develop, maintain, and operate them (as well as possessing many of them from time to time) are in California and New Mexico.

And then gazillions are in Europe and Asia.

Not so sure it’s dat simple D
Yesssss

Amid a pay war within his own 2020 presidential campaign, Bernie Sanders will limit the amount of time his organizers can work to guarantee that no one is making less than $15 per hour — a wage the senator has demanded should be the federal minimum.

On Thursday evening, The Washington Post reported that some members of Sanders' campaign have been lobbying to raise their wages. Field organizers say they make a salary of $36,000 annually but work 60 hours per week, which is an average of $13 per hour.

Unionized workers planned to send a letter to campaign manager Faiz Shakir which read that "many field staffers are barely managing to survive financially, which is severely impacting our team's productivity and morale." Some employees, they said, had even left the campaign as a result of the low pay.

Oh dear.

so, worst case scenario, he owes some of his staff some back overtime pay. scandalous.

At the same time, it also appears to be a bit hypocritical. The old "do as I say, not as I do" situation. Bernie has always been vocal about the $15/h minimum wage, but he doesn't seem to be paying his campaign workers that much. It does not make him more believable.

Hey Moonlit-- r you hit by the heat or are you north west enough to escape it?
Tonight will it be over!

No, we definitely got affected by it here. Friday in particular was utterly miserable temperature-wise, so I just stayed indoors and kept hydrated and cranked the air conditioning and all that good stuff.

The heat wave ended for us here yesterday, thankfully, and it's supposed to be much more comfortable these next few days, so I'm gonna enjoy that, for sure :). Hope the same can be said for your area soon, too.

Oh, please, can he? He'd never willingly resign, no, but if there's anything out there that can force him to make that choice, and make it as soon as humanly possible at that, I'd be all for it.

JD
Im sure not going back to research- but to characterize Pelosi's career in such a general sweeping statement of hemming and hawing seems excessive..

NP and the squad have to try and understand each others POVs better. Their is a certain hierarchy and way of doing things as you step up in your activities as freshmen members. They have to understand that.
AAt the same time abnormal times such as our own with drumph & Co call for bending and breaking rules and precedents sometimes. Which i think the squad has a right, and impelled to do. I don't have to totally agree with them (though i probably do waaaay more than not) to really like them. :up: I think NP has to understand that.

I do fear for their safety. :( As i do/did for Obama and Hillary. I put in the present tense because they are violent racist and sexist people who still could (the probabilities are way lessened since they are not in power) who could work themselves up into a larher and intend harm etc.

And BTW you didn't reply to my comments (maybe you missed them) - since you were talking about your Palestinian friends some months back - regarding liberal, progressive Jews (American and Israeli) working with the Palestinians to get better outcomes for them; stopping Israel's army from excessive force resulting in deadlier, or injuries period, or death, plus stopping more settlements, a fair 2 State soulution, etc.

But they still get drowned out by right-wing Jews! Hence J Streets formation.

Last edited:

No, we definitely got affected by it here. Friday in particular was utterly miserable temperature-wise, so I just stayed indoors and kept hydrated and cranked the air conditioning and all that good stuff.

The heat wave ended for us here yesterday, thankfully, and it's supposed to be much more comfortable these next few days, so I'm gonna enjoy that, for sure :). Hope the same can be said for your area soon, too.

Ouch sorry to hear that but glad it's going away. Rainy but cooler tomorrow! Weds and thurs are supposed to be nice and maybe later afternoon tues! May family who moved to mid-europe decades ago - work reasons, (who visit off & on) arrived here on thurs which was cooler then had to endure these past 3 days, be soon wil! be better. They're not used to this type of rhat, but the younger ones are ok, but my 82 year uncle too hot.

Oh, please, can he? He'd never willingly resign, no, but if there's anything out there that can force him to make that choice, and make it as soon as humanly possible at that, I'd be all for it.

THIS!!! :crack:

Last edited:
so, worst case scenario, he owes some of his staff some back overtime pay. scandalous.

I'm not a big Bernie fan but this is pretty silly. It's obviously understood that these jobs will involve many long hours.

On paper it would seem like I make a ton per hour, until you realize just how many hours I work in a week. Not an efficient way to make $.

At the same time, it also appears to be a bit hypocritical. The old "do as I say, not as I do" situation. Bernie has always been vocal about the $15/h minimum wage, but he doesn't seem to be paying his campaign workers that much. It does not make him more believable.
What that guy said.

You can't be Joe $15 Wage and not be paying your own staff a $15 wage.

I do realize that this would rank somewhere in the millions of our list of scandals were to include everything the Trump administration has done.

If he wasn't so up his own ass about how easy it will be to achieve in one full swoop (narrator: it's not) this wouldn't be as big a deal.

Ok deal, but when California and New York continue down the toilet and are bankrupt due to “woke” liberal policies, no begging for money from Indiana!!
Deal.

I'd be afraid of some of the tech money leaving NY and California in search of lower wages, but it'll be tough to find qualified workers when you dicks ban all the brown people, so I think they'll stay.

Last edited:
Deal.

I'd be afraid of some of the tech money leaving NY and California in search of lower wages, but it'll be tough to find qualified workers when you dicks ban all the brown people, so I think they'll stay.

“You dicks ban all the brown people”.....do you ever listen to yourself?

Plenty of brown people live in Indiana. Plenty of brown people are successful without liberal policies. Plenty of brown people don’t need the overbearing and bloated “government being daddy” of liberal policy.

We also have a balanced budget and a surplus in the bank.

Maybe you guys should work on that instead of dog whistling about “brown people “ .

I'm not a big Bernie fan but this is pretty silly. It's obviously understood that these jobs will involve many long hours.

On paper it would seem like I make a ton per hour, until you realize just how many hours I work in a week. Not an efficient way to make $.

this. in a normal week i work more than 40 hours but i still get paid pretty well as a base salary. however if i was working very long hours on a massive project like a presidential campaign it would probably look like i was making poverty wages too if you laid it out that way. but i would claim my hours worked after the project was done and my employer would pay it out to me.

sure, it's not the best optics right now. if he doesn't pay back the hours his staff worked, then yes it's a problem. if the campaign makes them whole on the overtime they worked at some point (like i feel 90% confident will happen) then there's absolutely no story here.

I also don't know the relevant employment laws of the jurisdiction where these people are, but for example, my profession is entirely exempt from the concept of overtime.

JD
Im sure not going back to research- but to characterize Pelosi's career in such a general sweeping statement of hemming and hawing seems excessive..

NP and the squad have to try and understand each others POVs better. Their is a certain hierarchy and way of doing things as you step up in your activities as freshmen members. They have to understand that.
AAt the same time abnormal times such as our own with drumph & Co call for bending and breaking rules and precedents sometimes. Which i think the squad has a right, and impelled to do. I don't have to totally agree with them (though i probably do waaaay more than not) to really like them. :up: I think NP has to understand that.

I do fear for their safety. :( As i do/did for Obama and Hillary. I put in the present tense because they are violent racist and sexist people who still could (the probabilities are way lessened since they are not in power) who could work themselves up into a larher and intend harm etc.

And BTW you didn't reply to my comments (maybe you missed them) - since you were talking about your Palestinian friends some months back - regarding liberal, progressive Jews (American and Israeli) working with the Palestinians to get better outcomes for them; stopping Israel's army from excessive force resulting in deadlier, or injuries period, or death, plus stopping more settlements, a fair 2 State soulution, etc.

But they still get drowned out by right-wing Jews! Hence J Streets formation.
Pelosi's career is about her wealth and power and the wealth and power of her friends and allies.

And a two-state solution is a non-starter because of Israel's illegal settlements. Unless hundreds of thousands of Israelis are going to agree to pick up and move, the only way forward is a single state solution. And the ball is entirely in Israel's court to try to take a humane approach to this for once.

I don’t think Pelosi is inherently evil but I do think she’s got a lust for power and refused to step down in the face of changing dynamics, and by taking a stand she is responsible for fracturing the Democratic Party. She should have let someone left of her but central to the Democratic Party play ball - she and Chuck are easily the most loathed politicians in America. The whole right hate them and half of the left do... the party leader should be someone who at least most of the left can agree upon.

this. in a normal week i work more than 40 hours but i still get paid pretty well as a base salary. however if i was working very long hours on a massive project like a presidential campaign it would probably look like i was making poverty wages too if you laid it out that way. but i would claim my hours worked after the project was done and my employer would pay it out to me.

sure, it's not the best optics right now. if he doesn't pay back the hours his staff worked, then yes it's a problem. if the campaign makes them whole on the overtime they worked at some point (like i feel 90% confident will happen) then there's absolutely no story here.

Well no shit people work longer hours than 40.

Of course it's mostly optics. But if you're all high and mighty about it, you can't have optic issues like this. It also plays directly into the hands of people who say he's all talk and no substance. That he has all these great ideas with no way to pay for them.

Perhaps if he took a more incrementalist approach, like others have, and set forth a goal of $15 per hour in a set number of years, rather than just going rarrrr rarrrr rarrrr fifteen dollars is so easy everyone should do it now rarrrrrr then this would be a non issue.

But if you're going to be Joe I'ma Fix Years Of Income Growth Stagnation With A Snap Of My Fingers then you best make sure you live up to your own ideals with your own staff.

This is a complicated issue that should have been dealt with decades ago. It's not going to be as simple a fix as some, such as Bernie, hope. This situation alone shows the nuance. But if Bernie wants to be "that guy," he damn sure better walk the walk.

The whole argument against big quick jumps to the minimum wage is that it will force companies to cut hours or workers. Some if that is bullshit, but there is some truth to it, specifically with smaller businesses... and that Bernie's own campaign is showing that truth is a huge dent in his own argument and that's not good.

Last edited:
“You dicks ban all the brown people”.....do you ever listen to yourself?

Plenty of brown people live in Indiana. Plenty of brown people are successful without liberal policies. Plenty of brown people don’t need the overbearing and bloated “government being daddy” of liberal policy.

We also have a balanced budget and a surplus in the bank.

Maybe you guys should work on that instead of dog whistling about “brown people “ .
Oh sure. Your 84% white welfare state is just oooooooooozing with diversity. Heard you guys are just terrific with the gays, too!

Stop sucking off the federal teet, Indiana. Maybe go get a job and earn your money. We're tired of supporting you.

And this person exists?
No, because much of the establishment of the "American Left" isn't very left at all.

Pelosi and Schumer are just almost parodies of how simultaneously corrupt and cowardly the Democratic Party can be. You could not invent better avatars for what the left disdains about the modern Democratic Party, unless you were holding up a Bill/Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden as ... oh, right.

Maybe the most remarkable thing is how, even with all the compromise, the Democrats are still very bad at winning. They don't understand how much the left has to offer in actual strategy that can help win. They think large swathes of the electorate want to hear about technocratic wonkery, when that could not be further from the truth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom