US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to those terrible terrible takes...

Rudy was at one point a Democrat who really only jumped to the GOP to run for mayor. He was fairly moderate socially, for the time at least.

This post was also a mere 2 years post 9/11.

And there was a time where a moderate Republican did exist. They're all now either Democrats, or in Rudy's case, have sold their souls. I understood Rudy's want to embarrass Hillary. I still don't understand how his support for the Titanic has continued beyond that. Whatever.

It's also a testament to how much one's political ideology can change over time... I'm hardly the only person in that thread who's singing Rudy's praises who are now part of the "echo chamber" that our right wing post and run members like to talk about.

I grew up in a republican household in a republican county, in a town that 2 years ago voted for Trump - despite being just an hour outside of the liberal stronghold of New York City.

I do sometimes think where I'd be if I never got out. I don't think I'd be a Trump supporter because a) he's always been a clown, b) I started turning on the GOP during Bush's second term, and c) even when I was a republican I considered myself to be a moderate (socially liberal, fiscally conservative).

Alas...

It's amazing how one's environment and experience can change their mindset. Nature over nurture, y'all.

Last edited:
Man it's crazy to read that and see not just how far I've changed personally in regards to where I stand politically, but also many others here, and even the person who the thread was about.

What a world, what a world.

I'd be frightened to find what else you could dig up.

:shh: :lol:

"Words can't even describe how much I love this man..."

"He needs to come back to the party he really belongs to and all will be good again :D"

"he seems a compassionate and intelligent man to me"

"As much as we all may like Rudy..."

"Give me a moderate President dammit! I'll vote for one. Since I really can't vote for a liberal because the Democrats no longer nominate liberals, a moderate is the best we can do."

and the award for hottest take of 2004 goes to...

"He's a good example of Churchill's calibre"

fucking yikes.

:eek: indeed!

Glad you changed, Headache :up:

"Words can't even describe how much I love this man..."

"He needs to come back to the party he really belongs to and all will be good again [emoji3]"

"he seems a compassionate and intelligent man to me"

"As much as we all may like Rudy..."

"Give me a moderate President dammit! I'll vote for one. Since I really can't vote for a liberal because the Democrats no longer nominate liberals, a moderate is the best we can do."

and the award for hottest take of 2004 goes to...

"He's a good example of Churchill's calibre"

fucking yikes.

Idk who hill hill ie but give the h man a break or we will all get HeToo’d with dumb shit we’ve said.

Like that time I said let the states decide on gay marriage. It took young me some time to realize that this was only stated by people who wanted to appease haters even if they weren’t haters themselves. Though admittedly I would still maintain that there’s a healthy and incredibly valuable push and pull between state and federal governments, and change does still come best from the ground up (example: Colorado with weed, Mass with gay marriage, etc., allowing society to change first before forcing it to).

Robert Mueller Russia probe statement will cause 'state of chaos' until 2020 election, Gowdy says

Trey Gowdy: I don't think there's a prosecutable case for obstruction
President Trump's critics will throw Washington into "chaos" in the wake of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's statement about the Russia investigation, according to Trey Gowdy.
Gowdy, a former South Carolina Republican congressman, made the claim Wednesday on "The Daily Briefing," adding dozens of Democratic lawmakers voted in favor of articles of impeachment before Mueller began his probe.

The ex-lawmaker said he believed Mueller's remarks will spur Democrats and other critics of Trump to embark on an "impeachment investigation" from now until the 2020 election.

"We'll be in this state of chaos for the next 14 months," Gowdy said. "What you're going to have now, for the next 14 months, is an impeachment investigation by folks who have already made up their mind. The jury's never going to convict him."

Oh, like there isn't chaos now with all of Drumph's lies, day-to-day, within a day flip flops, cruelty, sexism, racism, anti-islamic and anti-immingrantism, and ubergreed?? :rolleyes:

i'm pretty sure if you went back to 2002/03 you could find more than one post of me saying that invading iraq to get rid of saddam and his WMDs was the right thing to do, and then cheering on the invasion. i was a bit too much of a fan of the military way back then, before i actually joined up.

Idk who hill hill ie but give the h man a break or we will all get HeToo’d with dumb shit we’ve said.

Like that time I said let the states decide on gay marriage. It took young me some time to realize that this was only stated by people who wanted to appease haters even if they weren’t haters themselves. Though admittedly I would still maintain that there’s a healthy and incredibly valuable push and pull between state and federal governments, and change does still come best from the ground up (example: Colorado with weed, Mass with gay marriage, etc., allowing society to change first before forcing it to).
i'm pretty sure if you went back to 2002/03 you could find more than one post of me saying that invading iraq to get rid of saddam and his WMDs was the right thing to do, and then cheering on the invasion. i was a bit too much of a fan of the military way back then, before i actually joined up.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

IMG_0448.JPG

Is there any way forward from this? Another enlightenment era?

yes, we need "another enlightenment era" (whatever that means) because some random idiot lives in a media bubble.

Disagree.

If we can pass a reasonable infrastructure bill, then we should pass it.

Right.

I don’t understand why we have to oppose everything just because it’s Trump. There’s near no amount of good he can do at this point to not make him a repulsive president and human being. Pat him on the back the 2 or 3 times he gets something good done. It’s OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom