US Politics XIII: Don Jr. The Worst Judgment of Anyone in the World.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. Trump makes it even more imperative to ditch stodgy old establishment. The only thing that made Biden seem less so was President Obama. Trotting him out as often as possible on the campaign trail isn't going to cut it, and it's just going to give Trump opportunities for attack. Not that he needs that, he's just going to do it anyway.

I guess Joe Biden just sees this as his last shot at the Presidency. Not a reason to run when getting rid of Trump is at stake.

Other than the fact that he is probably the only sure candidate that can beat Trump, Sanders a close second. Yes, the stakes are getting rid of trump, and 18 of the 20 are not a sure bet.

The internet reminded me of this awesome Schoolhouse-Rock-like ditty about impeachment (specifically Trump, naturally) that was on The Good Fight last season.

So catchy!

Very interesting! Donnie, Jr. and Jared tried to collude, but the Russians

weren't interested in their overtures. Is it just me, but isn't trying to collude

the same as following through with it?

Is obstruction a conspiracy crime? Or is conspiracy to obstruct a thing...?

Serious question.

Is obstruction a conspiracy crime? Or is conspiracy to obstruct a thing...?

Serious question.

Good questions. I believe a conspiracy to obstruct is indeed a thing
and is a crime. I'm guessing the reason Mueller didn't indict Kushner
or Donnie Jr. on a conspiracy charge was that they were too stupid
to know what they were doing? The Russians were actually interested
in adoption, as it turns out.

I certainly hope and pray that Joe Biden could beat Trump. Honestly at this point I highly doubt that anyone can barring serious problems with the economy nearer to the election. Even then I swear
that wouldn't even matter to most people who would vote for Trump anyway. They've already proven they vote against self interest.

i thought Biden's video was moving, well made. curious to see how this all goes. and will be curious to see how he handles criticism from 22-year olds criticizing a voting record that's almost twice their age -- were you around in 1993? did you experience the crack epidemic? do you know what the murder rate was in 1991? that people have to make decisions? do you understand that things sometimes change and people do, indeed, evolve?

speaking of evolving:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...s-buttigieg-being-gay/?utm_term=.05e194bbc9d5

i guess it's a measure of the strength of Pete's campaign that he's drawing attention like this. it was also heartening to hear people on the news this morning basically tell Franklin Graham to STFU because, well, it's Franklin Graham and this is an attitude that has simply moved out of the mainstream.

that was nice to hear, but these attitudes are not gone, and if Pete is on the ticket in some form, expect much more of this, expect them to turn him into a mini-abortion, i.e., a way to draw the base to the polls.

I'm glad that Biden finally stopped the just fantasy land idea that this election isn't first and foremost about removing this stain from the White House.

He also stole Bono's line, which hopefully means that Bono can now never use it again. Please.

Agreed. And I know it's unconventional, but I really do believe that this needs to be the Republican strategy. Get that orange stain out at all costs. Play dirty, make him look as stupid as possible, I don't care what it is. Just make it clear to the voters that it is their civil duty to go and vote against Trump.

I certainly hope and pray that Joe Biden could beat Trump. Honestly at this point I highly doubt that anyone can barring serious problems with the economy nearer to the election. Even then I swear
that wouldn't even matter to most people who would vote for Trump anyway. They've already proven they vote against self interest.

Its very disturbing. i had a "discussion" on IG with a trump supporter. I listed out a litany of Trump failures, deficit, debt, trade deficit, N. Korea, tax cut for rich while millions of middle/lower class paid more, hate crimes, the list goes on.
He said, well my tax cut is enough to about cover my Toyota Tacoma payment, so that works for me. :|

There is no doubt, absolutely not doubt Biden will win PA. I think its 95% sure he will take WI, and MI. But VP choice will be crucial for him. It will have to be a woman, and lets be honest, an African American woman would be a huge plus to really give a strong, balanced ticket, with the greatest appeal and energizing of the strongest segments of the Dem party.

I don't take anything for granted anymore though. Its been a scary couple years, and i don't think 5 and a half more is sustainable.

Just watching some footage of Biden meet and greeting in Delaware. He's good. He's damn good. Even saw people there he knew by name. He's got that regular working guy persona. He gave straight, clear, no nonsense answers. He didn't go into the scripted, strained "speechy" responses you get from Booker, or Beto or others.
He didn't say, we need to take our country back. He said, America will be back. Play it straight, tell the truth, stand by our allies.
This is why both he and Sanders are good against Trump. They can speak plainly, and people like that. And i think it will appeal to those Obama/Trump voters that really need to come back.

I'm glad that Biden finally stopped the just fantasy land idea that this election isn't first and foremost about removing this stain from the White House.

He also stole Bono's line, which hopefully means that Bono can now never use it again. Please.

Which line? “America is not just a country, it’s an idea”???

i thought Biden's video was moving, well made. curious to see how this all goes. and will be curious to see how he handles criticism from 22-year olds criticizing a voting record that's almost twice their age -- were you around in 1993? did you experience the crack epidemic? do you know what the murder rate was in 1991? that people have to make decisions? do you understand that things sometimes change and people do, indeed, evolve?
"I'm not sorry for anything I have ever done." - Joe Biden, three weeks ago

Of course, I'm being a bit curt and taking that slightly (and only slightly) out of context, but Biden has not changed and evolved. He is who he has always been. He got on the Obama ticket in no small part because Israel demanded the DNC put in a VP who would assuage their racist fears that Obama wasn't anti-Palestine enough, and wanted a true believer on board. And then he wore aviators and grinned next to Obama for eight years until everyone agreed "yes, you've earned having a cool black friend, you're a good guy now."

And honestly, how is your argument here any different than other arguments about how racism wasn't really bad "back then" because that's "just how things were"? Fuck that. The crime bill was racist as shit. Yet another example of the Democrats being Pragmatic Compromisers who Respect Bipartisanship ... which meant throwing under the bus every demographic they knew they could without ceding votes to the GOP.

Joe Biden is a terrible candidate and would make an even worse president.

Trump will be even harder to beat with these economic numbers.

Can I understand that what Joe Biden did or said 30 years ago makes him a dick but the harassment on Sanders' campaign just a few years ago we can just dismiss? Just trying to keep things straight so I know where I should stand on such issues.

unlike joe biden, who personally said and did the things he's now being held accountable for, bernie sanders did not personally harass those women on his campaign staff.

unlike joe biden, who's offered a lukewarm "sorry if you were offended" half-apology that apparently wasn't even accepted by the people he's wronged, bernie sanders offered a full and unequivocal apology and made major changes to his campaign structure this time around to ensure it doesn't happen again.

this whataboutism has got to be one of the weakest attempts at a "gotcha" i've seen in a real long time.

edit: [tweet]1121799330103324672[/tweet]

Last edited:
"I'm not sorry for anything I have ever done." - Joe Biden, three weeks ago

Of course, I'm being a bit curt and taking that slightly (and only slightly) out of context, but Biden has not changed and evolved. He is who he has always been. He got on the Obama ticket in no small part because Israel demanded the DNC put in a VP who would assuage their racist fears that Obama wasn't anti-Palestine enough, and wanted a true believer on board. And then he wore aviators and grinned next to Obama for eight years until everyone agreed "yes, you've earned having a cool black friend, you're a good guy now."

And honestly, how is your argument here any different than other arguments about how racism wasn't really bad "back then" because that's "just how things were"? Fuck that. The crime bill was racist as shit. Yet another example of the Democrats being Pragmatic Compromisers who Respect Bipartisanship ... which meant throwing under the bus every demographic they knew they could without ceding votes to the GOP.

Joe Biden is a terrible candidate and would make an even worse president.

Hilarious. So you take a comment of his completely out of context. The question he was answering was about his "contact" with some female colleagues over the years. In a 45 plus lifetime in politics, two women stated that his close contact made them feel uncomfortable, because he was acting too "familiar", but it wasn't sexual. He said that he was sorry that it made them feel uncomfortable, he would change how he interacted going forward and would listen, and understand more that he knows that it could be a problem.

The crime bill was was voted for by Bernie Sanders and 72% of Democrats as well. You can take any law or bill or action 25 years later and see its failings. But at the time, it was action that 75% of the American public supported.

Headache posted the other day that the only ones that will beat the Democrats are Democrats. And here we are. The one guy that can easily take back every midwest and rustbelt state that Hillary failed to, and we are going to go back 25, 30, 40 years to pick apart every decision (except Sanders of course, his bad votes and decisions are excluded) he made and view it in the lens of our overall societal view in 2019.
For once, lets just get the worst human to breathe oxygen out of office, and then we can move on to bickering over "true progressive" credentials.

Because if we are going to go into the past to judge the current candidates, then there are no true progressives. Bernie surely doesn't hold up, Mayor Pete surely isn't, Warren was a Republican most of her life, so throw her in the progressive trash pile. Harris was a prosecutor that made a lot of decisions that the progressive keyboard warriors wouldn't look kindly on, so she's out.

It's so ridiculous what my party has devolved into. We can't let ourselves have a win and make some progress. Keep the entire judicial system from being ravaged by a an orange maniac and a grumpy turtle looking mother fucker, as they continue to pack the courts with young right wing lifetime appointments.
Perspective and common sense is all i ask.

Trump will be even harder to beat with these economic numbers.
Which means it's all the more important that the candidate opposing him is prepared to discuss economics in different terms. Wages and spending power, worker mobilization and solidarity. Not how stocks are performing.

There are only two Democratic candidates who do that.

Hilarious. So you take a comment of his completely out of context. The question he was answering was about his "contact" with some female colleagues over the years. In a 45 plus lifetime in politics, two women stated that his close contact made them feel uncomfortable, because he was acting too "familiar", but it wasn't sexual. He said that he was sorry that it made them feel uncomfortable, he would change how he interacted going forward and would listen, and understand more that he knows that it could be a problem.

The crime bill was was voted for by Bernie Sanders and 72% of Democrats as well. You can take any law or bill or action 25 years later and see its failings. But at the time, it was action that 75% of the American public supported.

Headache posted the other day that the only ones that will beat the Democrats are Democrats. And here we are. The one guy that can easily take back every midwest and rustbelt state that Hillary failed to, and we are going to go back 25, 30, 40 years to pick apart every decision (except Sanders of course, his bad votes and decisions are excluded) he made and view it in the lens of our overall societal view in 2019.
For once, lets just get the worst human to breathe oxygen out of office, and then we can move on to bickering over "true progressive" credentials.

Because if we are going to go into the past to judge the current candidates, then there are no true progressives. Bernie surely doesn't hold up, Mayor Pete surely isn't, Warren was a Republican most of her life, so throw her in the progressive trash pile. Harris was a prosecutor that made a lot of decisions that the progressive keyboard warriors wouldn't look kindly on, so she's out.

It's so ridiculous what my party has devolved into. We can't let ourselves have a win and make some progress. Keep the entire judicial system from being ravaged by a an orange maniac and a grumpy turtle looking mother fucker, as they continue to pack the courts with young right wing lifetime appointments.
Perspective and common sense is all i ask.
What I ask for is a candidate on the left who actually believes in some leftist policies. There are only two of them.

unlike joe biden, who personally said and did the things he's now being held accountable for, bernie sanders did not personally harass those women on his campaign staff.

unlike joe biden, who's offered a lukewarm "sorry if you were offended" half-apology that apparently wasn't even accepted by the people he's wronged, bernie sanders offered a full and unequivocal apology and made major changes to his campaign structure this time around to ensure it doesn't happen again.

this whataboutism has got to be one of the weakest attempts at a "gotcha" i've seen in a real long time.

edit: [tweet]1121799330103324672[/tweet]

He also said that he had no bad intentions, he would listen more, understand more, and change how he interacted going forward. But we'll just dismiss that part. Let's just keep asking him and see if he trips up. Yaaaaaay, he didn't respond well this time. Booooom! lets trash him and give Trump another 5 and a half years to completely blow up the country! Big win for "progressives"!! We stopped that evil, worse than Trump, corporate shill Hillary! We can surely ensure Trump again this time. Yaaaaaaayy!! We are SO progressive!!

He also said that he had no bad intentions, he would listen more, understand more, and change how he interacted going forward. But we'll just dismiss that part. Let's just keep asking him and see if he trips up. Yaaaaaay, he didn't respond well this time. Booooom! lets trash him and give Trump another 5 and a half years to completely blow up the country! Big win for "progressives"!! We stopped that evil, worse than Trump, corporate shill Hillary! We can surely ensure Trump again this time. Yaaaaaaayy!! We are SO progressive!!

and here i was thinking all along that you were actually an adult. silly me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom