US Politics XIII: Don Jr. The Worst Judgment of Anyone in the World.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right.

089b49383a37f1e2f40f6398037dd59f.png

Uhh it's been done.

Way to butcher a good thing. Next time you should take stock of the situation. Preparation never steered anyone wrong.

Genuinely when I posted that I told myself “this has probably already been done but the aircraft engines are spoiling up and I won’t have WiFi until 10,000 ft so post now or forever hold my phone wondering if I was right or wrong.”

I’m really good at that.

Doug Heffernan.

So just to recap:

Football players kneeling during the anthem are "sons of bitches" who are disrespecting our veterans.

Meanwhile, Trump, who used "bone spurs" to get out of serving in the military, bitching about and dumping on McCain all over the place and being dismissive of his service? Yeah, that's totally fine.

Can we get out of this Twilight Zone world already?

So just to recap:

Football players kneeling during the anthem are "sons of bitches" who are disrespecting our veterans.

Meanwhile, Trump, who used "bone spurs" to get out of serving in the military, bitching about and dumping on McCain all over the place and being dismissive of his service? Yeah, that's totally fine.

Can we get out of this Twilight Zone world already?

Unpopular opinion but Trump getting out of serving in what was a deeply unjust war (for his own selfish reasons, of course) is the least of his problems. McCain was not inherently better, although Trump's comments about the funeral were predictably stupid and ridiculous.

Unpopular opinion but Trump getting out of serving in what was a deeply unjust war (for his own selfish reasons, of course) is the least of his problems. McCain was not inherently better, although Trump's comments about the funeral were predictably stupid and ridiculous.

Agreed. Sure, his ability to get out shows he’s is privileged, but aside from that why on earth are we criticizing him for dodging the draft? Everyone who could dodge that draft should’ve. It was immoral and fucked up, sending young men to their deaths to fight a political war.

But yes, his comments were laughably absurd.

Agreed. Sure, his ability to get out shows he’s is privileged, but aside from that why on earth are we criticizing him for dodging the draft? Everyone who could dodge that draft should’ve. It was immoral and fucked up, sending young men to their deaths to fight a political war.

But yes, his comments were laughably absurd.

It's a bit like where there was a period where liberals would mock Trump for not being a billionaire? It is an ineffective way of attacking Trump when he literally oozes shit.

I have no problem with his not fighting in Vietnam in and of itself, because, yeah, plenty of good reasons to want to stay out of that war, obviously. That's not the issue here.

What bothers me is the fact that, as noted, part of his reason for not going had to do with his privileged lifestyle (and as a result, he likely didn't have to suffer any of the same risks for not going that non-rich kids did), and the fact that he thinks he can go around mocking and insulting somebody who did go and put their life on the line.

Ultimately, though, my main point is that I hate the fact that Trump can insult McCain and other military people and their families in general (remember the whole Gold Star family controversy from the campaign?) all he wants, and his supporters and the GOP say nothing about that (well, the GOP might offer "stern criticism", but that's about it). But boy, do they lose their shit when a football player kneels during the national anthem, because "we gotta show respect for our veterans!". It's the hypocrisy of it all that continues to piss me off more than anything.

And yes, I know that hypocrisy is nothing new, especially when it comes to Trump. Just felt like posting a reminder of it with this latest round of stupid shit he's saying, more than anything.

Last edited:
It isn't the act of dodging, it's the juxtaposition of a guy who had his daddy tell have a doctor make up a fake injury to get out of serving bashing the service of a decorated war hero.
It's the fact that McCain's daddy tried to get him out of the war and McCain said fuck that and stayed to be permanently disfigured by his torturers. So I have absolutely zero issue shitting on Trump for using his privilege to hide from that same war while poor people fought and died, or when someone he mocks was so much more of an infinitely better human than him in that moment.

Am I the only one here who finds the idea of McCain as a 'war hero' as somewhat discomforting?

Am I the only one here who finds the idea of McCain as a 'war hero' as somewhat discomforting?

No, but in fairness it does speak to his persona. Compare him to Lindsey Graham or Sick Dick Cheney.

John McCain was more of a fool who drank the kool aid and thought he was righteous.

there's no such thing as a "war hero". that's just propaganda. if you save the lives of your comrades (as mccain did by holding out during torture) then you deserve admiration as a human being.

Right. Well. I would say you can be a “war hero” if you genuinely fight in a war where your participation is perhaps a necessity. For example, resistance fighters in WW2 Europe are war heroes.

No, but in fairness it does speak to his persona. Compare him to Lindsey Graham or Sick Dick Cheney.

John McCain was more of a fool who drank the kool aid and thought he was righteous.

Right. Well. I would say you can be a “war hero” if you genuinely fight in a war where your participation is perhaps a necessity. For example, resistance fighters in WW2 Europe are war heroes.

No arguments from me here. :up:

Even with the word "hero" thrown around and all that, I think the reaction is less about McCain being a saint and how fucking appalling it is that we have a president repeatedly and openly being so disrespectful.

This is the country where you can't even blow your nose during the national anthem, or say anything remotely negative about "THE TROOPS" without being criticized, so yeah. This is just Trump being an utter jackass as usual, but times a thousand.

That’s the rumor. He met with her a week or two ago.

It’s also been a long standing rumor that Biden would only serve one term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom