US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #681
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:10 AM
you'd think choosing to make your speech outdoors on an unseasonable 64 degree February day just before a weekend snow storm would be the perfect setting for declaring a legitimate national emergency, but here we are.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #682
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:10 AM
rocket ships! they had rocket ships flying over their heads!

Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #683
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:10 AM
I'm glad I didn't watch that disaster. I'm pretty sure I'd have thrown my phone across the train. It just makes me so fucking angry that racist white people voted for THIS in response to the first Black president. Economic anxiety, my ass.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #684
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
men aggressively telling women to shut up is always a good look
uh oh. Sorry for treating a woman the same way i would a man. If it were a congressman, i would say the same thing. Don't think kid gloves need to be used with strong capable women.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #685
Blue Crack Addict

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...illions-profit

amazon made a profit of $11.3 billion last year and paid precisely zero dollars in taxes (and in fact they got a $130 million *rebate*), but when AOC says "hey maybe in that case we shouldn't be using billions in taxpayer money to fund this new campus" she personally has somehow cost NYC a billion dollars in tax revenues every year (because, ya know, amazon clearly pays so much in taxes) and she needs to immediately shut up and stop being so self-centered, selfish, arrogant, and short-sighted, and get in line behind nancy pelosi and never speak up again about any of her principles, policies, or ideas until the democrats control every single branch of government.

did i get that right?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #686
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/kasparov63/statu...406775298?s=21

I really don’t feel like america comes back from all of this.

Maybe we come out better

Maybe we become Russia 2
Old 02-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #687
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

amazon made a profit of $11.3 billion last year and paid precisely zero dollars in taxes (and in fact they got a $130 million *rebate*), but when AOC says "hey maybe in that case we shouldn't be using billions in taxpayer money to fund this new campus" she personally has somehow cost NYC a billion dollars in tax revenues every year (because, ya know, amazon clearly pays so much in taxes) and she needs to immediately shut up and stop being so self-centered, selfish, arrogant, and short-sighted, and get in line behind nancy pelosi and never speak up again about any of her principles, policies, or ideas until the democrats control every single branch of government.

did i get that right?
Wow, that was a complete distortion. First off, there are dozens of large corporations that pay no taxes. Take it up with changes in the tax code and closing of loopholes once you are in the position to do so. But why throw away 25k jobs in a district (and all of the other jobs and small businesses created on top of those jobs) because of something that can't be changed at the moment?
Should we expect that the people that voted for a candidate in their district should not have that candidate listen to them and what they would like once they are in office?

This just perfectly illustrates the short-sightedness.
2016 campain. Bernie supporters railed against Hillary because she was a "corporate sellout"!!! Even Trump would be better than Hillary, many would say. All tweeting from their iphones and macbooks, completely unironically.

Well, because they stayed home pouting, Trump got elected and quickly passed a 2 Trillion dollar tax cut for corporations and the ultra wealthy. Corporate tax from 35% to 21%. Glad we didn't let that corporate sellout Hillary into office!!

I didn't say people should never speak up about their principles. I'm saying that a smart, principled person would know when to stir the pot and when to hold your cards close and make moves when the playing field is in your favor.
I'm saying that you can take something that is good for the time being, and live to fight for fairer tax structure another day. Like the day Dems have the white house, congress, and senate.
But get too far out in front now, make missteps that feed into the anti-liberal narrative, and that day may never come.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #688
Blue Crack Addict

cool, i did get it right
Old 02-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #689
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
cool, i did get it right
yep, you perfectly illustrated why I call it short-sighted. Every far left and far right newbie to the political landscape seems to think you get one person into office, or win back one part of the house, and huge changes happen overnight.
But all of it takes time, so why not strike when the time is right to get the most change you can? It's because taking over the spotlight is more important to some people than actually creating the change.
Why throw away tens of thousands of jobs in your community because of something that can't be changed this instant, knowing that corp can just move onto another area that will take them?
Because some people don't feel they have a duty to represent the hundreds of thousands of people in their district. Making a name for themselves means more than those people that voted them in.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #690
Blue Crack Addict

I just love that she’s a thing.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #691
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Is it too much to ask a politician to both sponsor this project bringing jobs and revenue to the area

AND

Work on changing the laws that allow these companies to cheat on their taxes ?

In an ideal world we could do both, but since it’s not and the latter isn’t going to change anytime soon

I would have been good with giving the jobs and boost to that economy
Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #692
Blue Crack Addict

doing anything remotely anti-capitalist = selfish spotlight chasing. got it.

also, thank you for making it abundantly clear that you know what her constituents want more than she does.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #693
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

also, thank you for making it abundantly clear that you know what her constituents want more than she does.
Straight out of the Bernie-bot playbook. Speaking in absolute terms at all times.
No, you truly can introduce bills at the right time, and work hard to gather enough votes to make meaningful changes that could actually make corporations pay federal taxes. Or you could make rash decisions at inopportune times just to make noise and get lots of attention and nothing done.

And in case you or AOC were wondering how people in the area felt about it.
Headache already posted this:
new york state - 56% approval, 36% disapproval
new york city - 58% approval, 35 % disapproval
nyc white voters - 51% approval, 40% disapproval
nyc african american voters - 70% approval, 25% disapproval
nyc hispanic voters - 81% approval, 17% disapproval
nyc union households - 53% approval, 40% disapproval
Old 02-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #694
Blue Crack Addict

and now i'm a "bernie bot" even though i've literally never once said one good thing about bernie sanders here.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #695
Blue Crack Addict

Trump wants this wall fight to drag out as long as possible, he wants to get two years worth of mileage out of it. That's why it's suddenly an emergency now, he knows that won't work. But there won't be a shutdown.

Only a fool like him will run over that wall vs the economy. Maybe he figures the economy will falter, but there's no way he can figure that out. I don't think he understands basic economics, plus he doesn't read the briefing materials.

Isn't anyone excited about Bill Weld running for President?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #696
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Heard that today driving to get lunch on WBZ, was shocked to hear he's 73...when did that happen?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #697
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Trump wants this wall fight to drag out as long as possible, he wants to get two years worth of mileage out of it. That's why it's suddenly an emergency now, he knows that won't work. But there won't be a shutdown.

Only a fool like him will run over that wall vs the economy. Maybe he figures the economy will falter, but there's no way he can figure that out. I don't think he understands basic economics, plus he doesn't read the briefing materials.

I had to google him.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #698
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

did i get that right?
25,000 jobs at $150k+. All of those 25k employees would pay city and state tax

Having Amazon there would also bring in other businesses. It would also have been a boom for the restaurants in the neighborhood. Hotels would have seen a huge boost from this - and there are a ton of hotels going up in the Court square section of LIC. That's a shit ton of tax revenue.

The promised 25k were also just tech jobs. That doesn't include the truck drivers, maintenance, clerical, etc. That's tax revenue.

There are the construction companies, the union workers, who now won't be building this massive complex. That's tax revenue.

New high rise residential buildings were being planned. That's now on hold. That's tax revenue.

There was also an intermediate School that Amazon was going to fund... That was my neighborhood. There's a major lack or schools there. It's one of the main reasons why we moved. This deal was going to help that. Now it's gone.

It's also coming at a time where NYC is seeing some companies begin to look elsewhere. But sure, let's turn companies away. Things have always gone well in NYC when the companies look to move. Actually wait, the opposite has happened.

The deal also had high approval marks across every demographic you could think of. You almost never see the city and state agree on anything. They agreed on this.

The biggest argument against it that was used locally - transportation and the bad shape of the subway sysyem - is a bullshit argument. The MTA is in the shit not because of a lack of tax money coming from NYC, but because it's run by the state and not the city - and upstate politicians steal money from the city's giant tax base to fund pet projects upstate. Amazon wasn't changing this one way or another. The only thing that can fix this is for the state to hand over control to the city.

But even with that said - Amazon agreed to help fund infrastructure improvements in the neighborhood. That's gone now.

This 3 billion wasn't some lump sum that was being taken away from something else. It was a discount on money that didn't exist yet. Nobody is getting the 3 billion dollars back now to spend on schools and housing. This is what is being sold, and it's a pile of crap. The 3 billion over 25 years was decreasing new tax payments. Those tax payments now will never happen. Zero dollars will come in now.

And AOC? This isn't her district. It's Carolyn Maloney's district, and she was in favor of the deal. So she came in to help torpedo a deal that wasn't even in her district.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #699
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Big problem here... HQ2 was not being built in her district.

The people who will feel the biggest impacts are not her constituents.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #700
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
and now i'm a "bernie bot" even though i've literally never once said one good thing about bernie sanders here.

First peef and now Dave