US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get them in line? They’re not “getting in line.” They don’t share the same ideology.

And Donald Trump’s stump speech will not be about all of the great things Jeff Bezos and Amazon would’ve done in New York City.

Last edited:
That situation is quite puzzling.
It's just an incredibly shortsided thing.

The opponents of the deal got so hung up on this 3 billion dollars on tax incentives over 25 years that they ignored the billion dollars per year in new tax revenue that would have been created.

But hey... Bezos won't get his incentives now. So yay, win. Or something.

Get them in line? They’re not “getting in line.” They don’t share the same ideology.

And Donald Trump’s stump speech will not be about all of the great things Jeff Bezos and Amazon would’ve done in New York City.

It will be a stump speech about how Democrats are so radical that they are going against the will of their constituents and killing jobs for middle class Americans.
It will be a speech about Democrats being anti-Israel
It will be a speech about how radical Dems want to stop all air travel and kill our energy exports because they (AOC again) were stupid enough to let an early version of the Green Deal be seen.

I'm all for differing points of view, all for a Green New Deal, all for keeping the Dems to the left on a host of issues. But doing it in a smart, calculated way that doesn't play into what they know will give Trump talking points to rally his base.

The opponents of the deal got so hung up on this 3 billion dollars on tax incentives over 25 years that they ignored the billion dollars per year in new tax revenue that would have been created.

And going against the majority of the constituents in the district. and REALLY going against the will of the minority constituents in the district. She is showboating and spouting off before thinking about the larger picture. How about you shut up for now, and then start introducing more progressive ideas once we get the white house and the Senate back. Its a self-centered, selfish, arrogant and short sighted agenda that needs to be scaled back until the time is right.

I’d say it’s the opposite. It’s not short sighted in terms of her brand.

Say what you will, but she’s preached and now just delivered ideology.

It’s damaging to her in the short term.

And going against the majority of the constituents in the district. and REALLY going against the will of the minority constituents in the district. She is showboating and spouting off before thinking about the larger picture. How about you shut up for now, and then start introducing more progressive ideas once we get the white house and the Senate back. Its a self-centered, selfish, arrogant and short sighted agenda that needs to be scaled back until the time is right.

men aggressively telling women to shut up is always a good look :up:

Last edited:
i look at people's avatars. for example i know you're a cat wearing sunglasses, and i know hewson is a baby in a space helmet. it's pretty obvious based on your posting styles.

I’d say it’s the opposite. It’s not short sighted in terms of her brand.

Say what you will, but she’s preached and now just delivered ideology.

It’s damaging to her in the short term.
It may have been good for her social media following - but the majority of constituents in her city favored the deal.

I'm generally against government subsidies of private businesses because I don't think that the government should play a role in choosing winners and losers. In that respect I'm kind of agnostic about this decision.

But it's a terrible political position to take for these Ds.

new york state - 56% approval, 36% disapproval
new york city - 58% approval, 35 % disapproval
nyc white voters - 51% approval, 40% disapproval
nyc african american voters - 70% approval, 25% disapproval
nyc hispanic voters - 81% approval, 17% disapproval
nyc union households - 53% approval, 40% disapproval

He's stark raving mad on TV right now. They have him on some sort of meds for sure.

DC-area homeowners should rejoice in this news.

but, yes, this issue is exactly what i was talking about earlier, and exactly why i am proudly a liberal, and even a progressive, but i am not a leftist.

which to some, means centrist. but, whatever.

you'd think choosing to make your speech outdoors on an unseasonable 64 degree February day just before a weekend snow storm would be the perfect setting for declaring a legitimate national emergency, but here we are.

men aggressively telling women to shut up is always a good look :up:

uh oh. Sorry for treating a woman the same way i would a man. If it were a congressman, i would say the same thing. Don't think kid gloves need to be used with strong capable women.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ax-bill-2018-no-taxes-despite-billions-profit

amazon made a profit of $11.3 billion last year and paid precisely zero dollars in taxes (and in fact they got a $130 million *rebate*), but when AOC says "hey maybe in that case we shouldn't be using billions in taxpayer money to fund this new campus" she personally has somehow cost NYC a billion dollars in tax revenues every year (because, ya know, amazon clearly pays so much in taxes) and she needs to immediately shut up and stop being so self-centered, selfish, arrogant, and short-sighted, and get in line behind nancy pelosi and never speak up again about any of her principles, policies, or ideas until the democrats control every single branch of government.

did i get that right?

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ax-bill-2018-no-taxes-despite-billions-profit

amazon made a profit of $11.3 billion last year and paid precisely zero dollars in taxes (and in fact they got a $130 million *rebate*), but when AOC says "hey maybe in that case we shouldn't be using billions in taxpayer money to fund this new campus" she personally has somehow cost NYC a billion dollars in tax revenues every year (because, ya know, amazon clearly pays so much in taxes) and she needs to immediately shut up and stop being so self-centered, selfish, arrogant, and short-sighted, and get in line behind nancy pelosi and never speak up again about any of her principles, policies, or ideas until the democrats control every single branch of government.

did i get that right?

Wow, that was a complete distortion. First off, there are dozens of large corporations that pay no taxes. Take it up with changes in the tax code and closing of loopholes once you are in the position to do so. But why throw away 25k jobs in a district (and all of the other jobs and small businesses created on top of those jobs) because of something that can't be changed at the moment?
Should we expect that the people that voted for a candidate in their district should not have that candidate listen to them and what they would like once they are in office?

This just perfectly illustrates the short-sightedness.
2016 campain. Bernie supporters railed against Hillary because she was a "corporate sellout"!!! Even Trump would be better than Hillary, many would say. All tweeting from their iphones and macbooks, completely unironically.:huh:

Well, because they stayed home pouting, Trump got elected and quickly passed a 2 Trillion dollar tax cut for corporations and the ultra wealthy. Corporate tax from 35% to 21%. Glad we didn't let that corporate sellout Hillary into office!!

I didn't say people should never speak up about their principles. I'm saying that a smart, principled person would know when to stir the pot and when to hold your cards close and make moves when the playing field is in your favor.
I'm saying that you can take something that is good for the time being, and live to fight for fairer tax structure another day. Like the day Dems have the white house, congress, and senate.
But get too far out in front now, make missteps that feed into the anti-liberal narrative, and that day may never come.

cool, i did get it right :up:

yep, you perfectly illustrated why I call it short-sighted. Every far left and far right newbie to the political landscape seems to think you get one person into office, or win back one part of the house, and huge changes happen overnight.
But all of it takes time, so why not strike when the time is right to get the most change you can? It's because taking over the spotlight is more important to some people than actually creating the change.
Why throw away tens of thousands of jobs in your community because of something that can't be changed this instant, knowing that corp can just move onto another area that will take them?
Because some people don't feel they have a duty to represent the hundreds of thousands of people in their district. Making a name for themselves means more than those people that voted them in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom