US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #441
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:26 AM
https://twitter.com/aclu/status/1091...505086976?s=21

Let’s try to keep big picture on things going into 2020

Clinton
Biden
Booker
Harris

While they all have their faults or things that don’t fit into what we want, i can’t imagine if they were president that i would read anything like the tweet above

Old 02-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #442
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
To be bold and set goals that make real changes that genuinely fix things, not just put bandaids on broken systems by way of inching somewhat into a progressive cause.

This sort of relates back to the health care discussion we just had. Yes, Obamacare was a justice for people who could not afford health care. It did a lot of good. But the system is still broken because it’s still insurance. It brought basic health care to people who couldn’t afford simple things like going to the doctor etc., but for the vast majority of Americans they are still forced into crippling or unpayable debt from various different health insurance related financial incidents. And a lot of people get downright royally screwed by the system. I mean, I literally just got screwed by it. I was an intern for the first half of the year and was on the absolute worst cheapest insurance I could find on the marketplace, and it still cost something stupid like $250 a month and basically covered NOTHING. Of course I used the tax credit to cover that, because I absolutely did not have $250 for health insurance. So yes, it brought health care to me. I got a full time job after that, where my employer covered my health insurance. That rose my income and now the system wants all of the tax credit back (well over $1000) because I made above the threshold over the course of the year.

Whether or not you think that’s justice, I don’t know. Doesn’t really matter though. The point was that I was paying for little to no coverage, and whether or not intern me or full time employee me are or are not contributing to the tax pool, that fact of no-coverage simply does not change. Even my “good” health insurance through my employer is a shit scam. God forbid I show up at the wrong hospital in an emergency, I might as well throw my insurance money in a fire pit instead. Maybe as I’m bleeding out I’ll ask if there’s an in-network doctor in the building? Assuming that’s the case, I still can’t pay the $5,000 ambulance bill that most instances won’t cover after the basic deductible of your $10,000 x-ray which took 30 minutes just to say “no it’s not broken and you weren’t bleeding out sir.”

I don’t have that kind of money. I have loans that I take out for that kind of money that take years to pay off and that’s on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis.

What do people want though? No more of this bullshit. That’s what people want. I’ll happily contribute my taxpayer money to a system that takes care of its people. This system doesn’t actually do that.

Could you take any of what you wrote and put it into policy or law ?

What is fair ? Is the solution to redo the tax code or system so it doesn’t favor the top bracket ? How do you keep politicians at their word when each new round that comes in eventually gets bought out by lobbyists?

How do we restructure our defense budget without the other side claiming we are weakening the country’s ability to defend

The issue is how do you convince nearly half of the population to vote for the best interest of society versus tribal votes to “own da libs “ or vice versa?

Is the solution something like NY where the state takes over more control of healthcare and taxes ?

It’s easy to say to vote out the GOP but the way the system is set up, and the southern parts of the country, we’re stuck with these trump like pols

I want a fair system. I have no desire of having a family of my own, yet I’m willing to see my taxes go towards the greater good. Not just the freaking debt and military.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #443
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Could you take any of what you wrote and put it into policy or law ?
No because I’m not a lawyer or legislator. But it’s tiring to hear people say “it’s not possible” as though all of our western allies don’t have hacks at it.

American exceptionalism is very real if you think our system is better than theirs because of stupid things like wait times or whatever those propaganda arguments tend to be.

Quote:
What is fair ? Is the solution to redo the tax code or system so it doesn’t favor the top bracket ? How do you keep politicians at their word when each new round that comes in eventually gets bought out by lobbyists?
Also not my job. I don’t think the top “bracket” is “favored.” The taxation system is fair, but people with a lot of money do find ways through the system to not pay their taxes. It’s not necessarily Bob the doctor making 300k that’s circumventing a tax system through its own rules, but maybe Jimmy the doctor who owns his own practice and “employs” his wife and blah blah blah has all the strategic possibility in the world to do whatever. I don’t know I’m not a tax genius. But rich people shouldn’t be vilified.

All in all we can all do with paying a little more taxes but raising the floor on when taxes start. As an intern, NASA avoided paying me Medicare, social security, and any form of benefits by funneling my money through a proxy organization and hiring me as an independent contractor at a sub-market value. That means that I owed back almost 20% of the 12k I got paid over 4 months. I already could barely survive pre-tax on that, given student loans, car, etc. etc.. there are too many systems where the middle and lower earning groups of people are taxed when their summation/contribution to the pool has little effect on the size of the pool. Whereas now, I’m earning a full salary and bth the government and the state are taxing the heck out of me and my complaints are not “I can’t survive” but rather “I’m paying for stupid shit like worthless health insurance that wouldn’t financially protect me or anyone who has it.”

I’m ranting. Lobbyists? I don’t know. That’s what people want to see. Bolder politicians. That’s why the orange guy was elected from his deplorable base. He was more likely to actually try things than a politician.

Quote:

How do we restructure our defense budget without the other side claiming we are weakening the country’s ability to defend

The issue is how do you convince nearly half of the population to vote for the best interest of society versus tribal votes to “own da libs “ or vice versa?

Is the solution something like NY where the state takes over more control of healthcare and taxes ?
Maybe the solution is for the states to take over a little more control. It tends to work well when a leader state implements something that’s successful and others follow suit. Typically over time you have a feedback loop from up top in the federal government, and the holdout states eventually jump on board. But this particular scenario being presented is not workable, because the federal government has too much of a grip on health “care” already. Between Medicare and ACA and general income tax, you’d need a state to seize those funds. Which it cannot do. So, I would imagine a new system would require to come from the top.

Quote:
It’s easy to say to vote out the GOP but the way the system is set up, and the southern parts of the country, we’re stuck with these trump like pols

I want a fair system. I have no desire of having a family of my own, yet I’m willing to see my taxes go towards the greater good. Not just the freaking debt and military.

Well you and I are two in the same there. The beautiful thing about military spending is that you technically don’t have to give up a lot of capability and/or “defense” to free up some cash from it. It’s such a bloated establishment that could run a lot leaner than it does.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #444
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Now he says it wasn’t him in that picture.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #445
Blue Crack Supplier

What the fuck kind of med school would allow that to be in the yearbook?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #446
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
What the fuck kind of med school would allow that to be in the yearbook?

Covington Catholic?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #447
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:26 PM
‘Medicare for all, and Russia’s paying for it’

Anything soft of that platform; I’m not voting for them.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #448
Blue Crack Supplier

The governor should step down. But so should Steve King.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #449
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The governor should step down. But so should Steve King.
The difference is that the Governor probably wouldn't get re-elected with this hanging over his head.

The fine people in King's Iowa congressional district have sent him back to Washington HOW many times when he's an open racist?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #450
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The difference is that the Governor probably wouldn't get re-elected with this hanging over his head.

The fine people in King's Iowa congressional district have sent him back to Washington HOW many times when he's an open racist?

In hindsight, time cures all. Didn’t NJ just re-elect a criminal senator?

But yeah, I won’t be driven out to the polls if he seeks re-election.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #451
Blue Crack Supplier

The VA governor is one-term only I believe.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #452
Blue Crack Distributor

And now a live look at Northam's press conference

Old 02-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #453
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The VA governor is one-term only I believe.

Ah. Still getting my bearings here. Good to know.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #454
War Child

Quote:
What is it you think people want?

(No snark, I genuinely want to know)
To live their lives without the threat of losing everything if they get injured/sick or laid off. To be able to live without the anxieties we all take for granted because they are all we have ever known.

The first step to doing that, in my opinion, is to give everyone healthcare. Not "access" or "affordability," which are words that sound good but really just mean adding some regulations to the existing system. You need to kill private insurance. Everyone gets healthcare, period. No strings attached. We can afford it. Every other country does.

People want it. Polls show it. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know it's true, anyway.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #455
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I’m from Des Moines, it was in the top 2 for insurance capitals of the US (not sure anymore as i moved five years ago)

You tell them you’ll kill private insurance and you’ve lost Iowa

You better have a plan on how to transition those people into new jobs
Old 02-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #456
Blue Crack Addict

In the interview before the Super Bowl tomorrow (during which I'll be watching something far less disgusting like Dr. Pimple Popper marathon) Trump says Cory Booker has no chance in 2020. Hahahahaha
Old 02-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #457
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall

If you have time, found this was a good....and scary read

https://twitter.com/radiofreetom/sta...624546304?s=21

And on similar theme of nukes

https://twitter.com/kbandersen/statu...093213185?s=21
Old 02-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #458
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I’m from Des Moines, it was in the top 2 for insurance capitals of the US (not sure anymore as i moved five years ago)

You tell them you’ll kill private insurance and you’ve lost Iowa

You better have a plan on how to transition those people into new jobs

Sure, practically speaking.

But the notion that “______ is too big to fail” is a story we’ve heard before.

It’s not a valid argument for letting it continue to exist if you can do something about it.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #459
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I want the same thing.

I just haven’t heard how we change the landscape of our healthcare, our government to make it work.

It doesn’t mean we don’t try or give up, i just really want to see a plan.

That’s all. It should be a debate by people we elect.

There will be no perfect system and when loop holes or gaps are found, we continue to change it for the better.

I just wish it was more than high level talks or tax the rich
Old 02-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #460
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
To live their lives without the threat of losing everything if they get injured/sick or laid off. To be able to live without the anxieties we all take for granted because they are all we have ever known.

The first step to doing that, in my opinion, is to give everyone healthcare. Not "access" or "affordability," which are words that sound good but really just mean adding some regulations to the existing system. You need to kill private insurance. Everyone gets healthcare, period. No strings attached. We can afford it. Every other country does.

People want it. Polls show it. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know it's true, anyway.

First of all, to implement this overnight would be an economic nightmare to the US. It has to be phased, to pretend otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

Secondly, I see no problem keeping the private industry for optional medical procedures. If I’m not mistaken, isn’t this how Australia is set up? Axver COBL can you elaborate?