US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #321
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 08:14 AM
It matters a lot whom she slept with 30 years ago.

How could she run against the paragon of virtue we have in the White House now??
__________________

anitram is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #322
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,352
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
It matters a lot whom she slept with 30 years ago.

How could she run against the paragon of virtue we have in the White House now??
Seriously. The current governor of California who I gladly voted for had an affair while he was Mayor. There wasn't a peep about it during the campaign because IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. But of course the standard for women is different.
__________________

trojanchick99 is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #323
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 08:14 AM
The Republicans themselves have established that “what happened in private life before X was in office doesn’t matter” so they can all fuck right off.
anitram is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #324
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Everyone knows that Jesus was a flawed man and Mary was a whore.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #325
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,233
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
So, what do we all think about Howard Schultz potentially running as an Independent?

Consensus seems to be that nobody wants it, that it will siphon votes away from the Democratic nominee, dilute the anti-Trump vote, and get the clown re-elected. I think I agree.
Yeah, and on top of it I don't see any appeal in what he's sellin' or his experience. Go away Howie.
womanfish is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 01:00 PM   #326
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 08:14 AM
Does Senator Harris still get a period? Is she a witch? These questions need to be answered. Probably unfit for office.

I was impressed by her and most of her answers in the town hall last night. I'm always impressed when she speaks. So intelligent and natural. She most definitely has the brains and demeanor to be President. Will wait to see how the rest unfolds.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #327
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Seriously. The current governor of California who I gladly voted for had an affair while he was Mayor. There wasn't a peep about it during the campaign because IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. But of course the standard for women is different.
You are correct about that. The standard for women is different, no matter how much some people try to deny that.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,233
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
CNN has clearly endorsed Kamala Harris early, rejected Elizabeth Warren, and failed to acknowledge Tulsi Gabbard (who I wouldn’t want winning but still).

Sounds an awful lot like 2016.
Don't blame the media here. The candidates have to actually do something noteworthy to get coverage. Warren, being the wonky nerd, is trying to make herself more folksy, so she's Instagramming about her dog every day...
Haven't heard a peep from the others since announcing, which is fine, its super early. But when Harris is out accepting interview offers from the media and drawing over 20,000 people at a kick off speech, then that is something to take note of.

The whole media endorsement thing just means that some candidates are better at using the coverage to their advantage. Others seem to be putting their hat in the ring because they want to be a VP pick.
womanfish is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,233
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Does Senator Harris still get a period? Is she a witch? These questions need to be answered. Probably unfit for office.

I was impressed by her and most of her answers in the town hall last night. I'm always impressed when she speaks. So intelligent and natural. She most definitely has the brains and demeanor to be President. Will wait to see how the rest unfolds.
Agreed. She's quick, she has a strong confident presence, and is quick and tenacious.

There are three things that i think will result in a successful candidate this time around.

1. They have to be quick on their feet, ready with facts and able to dismember Trump with their attacks and rebuttals.
Hillary is insanely smart. But she couldn't come back at Trump well in the moment. She needed to go and study it and do a few focus groups first. sigh...
I see Harris being able to do this effectively. Biden could do well here, Warren would be a bit hit and miss, Bernie ok, but gets stuck in his repetitive talking points. Yet to be seen with Gillibrand, Amy K. and others.

2. They have to drive the vote of women and minorities, while STILL appealing to everyday working class white folks. Not a simple feat. And right now... It's hard to see that any of them fit that bill.
Biden would be great with working class, ok with women and so-so with minorities. If he could get back PA, WI and MI, well hell, that would be the ballgame.
I think Harris would struggle here. A "California Elite" may suffer the same fate in the rust belt and I don't see here picking up any red states to make it up. Possibly Florida though, and that again, would be the ballgame.
Warren, nope. Sanders, doesn't pull the minority or women's vote, but would do well in the midwest. could lose NV and possibly VA, and would be a bit of a wash.
Don't see Amy K, or Gillibrand doing much aside from bringing out white women.

3. A bonus would be if they could come from a swing state. OH, FL, NC, GA???, PA, Unfortunately not much to go on here. Biden from PA, Brown from OH. Beto and Castro from TX, but probably wouldn't swing the state.
womanfish is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #330
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post

3. A bonus would be if they could come from a swing state. OH, FL, NC, GA???, PA, Unfortunately not much to go on here. Biden from PA, Brown from OH. Beto and Castro from TX, but probably wouldn't swing the state.
I think that this time, unlike in most elections, the VP pick will actually matter. First because you can provide someone for everyone in a way. I fully expect the democratic ticket will have one man, one woman. If pressed, I'd be more likely to guess 2 women than 2 men. No way no how will we have 2 white men on the Dem ticket. So the VP pick lets you be a bit more flexible if you choose a person who is charismatic enough and good enough of a campaigner to deliver something of value. Tim Kaine was a horrific pick for Hillary, I said it here a million times. How they were able to go out and find the only man in America with less charisma than Mike Pence is quite the achievement.

Watched the Harris town hall as well, not all of it, but she passes the most important test IMO, which is electability. She's what that dinosaur Orrin Hatch would describe as "pleasing to the eye", well-spoken, confident, not stiff with regular people/audience, and looks good on TV. Many of these are very superficial but those are the times we live in.
anitram is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #331
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think that this time, unlike in most elections, the VP pick will actually matter. First because you can provide someone for everyone in a way. I fully expect the democratic ticket will have one man, one woman. If pressed, I'd be more likely to guess 2 women than 2 men. No way no how will we have 2 white men on the Dem ticket. So the VP pick lets you be a bit more flexible if you choose a person who is charismatic enough and good enough of a campaigner to deliver something of value. Tim Kaine was a horrific pick for Hillary, I said it here a million times. How they were able to go out and find the only man in America with less charisma than Mike Pence is quite the achievement.



Watched the Harris town hall as well, not all of it, but she passes the most important test IMO, which is electability. She's what that dinosaur Orrin Hatch would describe as "pleasing to the eye", well-spoken, confident, not stiff with regular people/audience, and looks good on TV. Many of these are very superficial but those are the times we live in.
It would also be a good play to have a centrist and a progressive on the ticket.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #332
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:14 PM
I think what can hurt Harris is if there was any sort of wrongful conviction during her time as a Prosecutor. Not that mistakes don't happen, or even if it wasn't her fault....

The GOP are a different animal when it comes to smear campaigns, mainly because they and their base don't care what they've done themselves. Look no further than Trump.....or Roy Moore (granted he didn't win, but the fact a pedo could come that close!!!!)

And let's not leave out Russia and it's trolls.

That's a lot for the Dems to go up against. When our election is geared towards the rural area versus vote count.....

These are the issues I want to see a Dem focus on:

Voter Suppression -- We can't call ourselves a democracy with how fucked up our voting system is slanted against minorities.
Enviornment -- Should probably be number one since none of it will matter when we're spending all of our $$$ on recovery
Healthcare -- M4ALL or whatever you want to call it, something has to be done
Wealth / Wage Regulations / Income Inequality
BEAL is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #333
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,233
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think that this time, unlike in most elections, the VP pick will actually matter. First because you can provide someone for everyone in a way. I fully expect the democratic ticket will have one man, one woman. If pressed, I'd be more likely to guess 2 women than 2 men. No way no how will we have 2 white men on the Dem ticket. So the VP pick lets you be a bit more flexible if you choose a person who is charismatic enough and good enough of a campaigner to deliver something of value. Tim Kaine was a horrific pick for Hillary, I said it here a million times. How they were able to go out and find the only man in America with less charisma than Mike Pence is quite the achievement.

Watched the Harris town hall as well, not all of it, but she passes the most important test IMO, which is electability. She's what that dinosaur Orrin Hatch would describe as "pleasing to the eye", well-spoken, confident, not stiff with regular people/audience, and looks good on TV. Many of these are very superficial but those are the times we live in.
I fully agree here. I think a two woman ticket would be great, and at least one woman is vital. Harris/Klobeshar could work. I think the draw on women and minority voters would be great, and Amy could do well with midwest voters as well.
Maybe a Harris/Booker or vice versa. Obviously a big African American turnout, as well as women, both candidates, sharp and camera ready.
Harris/Castro? Not bad, a wider draw of minority vote with a latino VP. May put FL back in the Dem column, NV would be a lock and AZ could be in play.
I'll even go with Harris/O'Roarke. That could be interesting. Both are charasmatic, but Beto would be the shit stirrer, bring in the bernie base just with his personality, and he could draw as much Latino vote as a white guy could.

I'll be honest. I'm so over the nitpicking of every detail of the candidates backgrounds at this point. Unless they are an out of the norm candidate like Shultz who can fuck himself, the rest of the field is largely quite liberal senators. So i could care less if they made some bad decisions in the past that don't pass the "true progressive" test.
Any of us on the left would vote for a coffee table over Trump, so why get bogged down in the bullshit of a bad past vote or two.
Any of the candidates are going to push for healthcare reform, more affordable college, environmental regulations, protect a woman's right to control her body, stronger financial regs, and more fair tax structure. And most importantly get more liberal judges on the courts.

What's important now is which combination can win and get us talking about good changes instead of the all out shit show that is happening now.
womanfish is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #334
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Every time I hear a new Uncle Howie soundbite, I lose more respect for him. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - I should have known that just because someone runs a business a certain way (i.e., super passionate about making sure people can get health coverage, for example), that doesn't mean that translates to the government.


I'm also completely over tired coffee-related jokes in response to him. Super original, geniuses.
corianderstem is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #335
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,352
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I fully agree here. I think a two woman ticket would be great, and at least one woman is vital. Harris/Klobeshar could work. I think the draw on women and minority voters would be great, and Amy could do well with midwest voters as well.
Maybe a Harris/Booker or vice versa. Obviously a big African American turnout, as well as women, both candidates, sharp and camera ready.
Harris/Castro? Not bad, a wider draw of minority vote with a latino VP. May put FL back in the Dem column, NV would be a lock and AZ could be in play.
I'll even go with Harris/O'Roarke. That could be interesting. Both are charasmatic, but Beto would be the shit stirrer, bring in the bernie base just with his personality, and he could draw as much Latino vote as a white guy could.

I'll be honest. I'm so over the nitpicking of every detail of the candidates backgrounds at this point. Unless they are an out of the norm candidate like Shultz who can fuck himself, the rest of the field is largely quite liberal senators. So i could care less if they made some bad decisions in the past that don't pass the "true progressive" test.
Any of us on the left would vote for a coffee table over Trump, so why get bogged down in the bullshit of a bad past vote or two.
Any of the candidates are going to push for healthcare reform, more affordable college, environmental regulations, protect a woman's right to control her body, stronger financial regs, and more fair tax structure. And most importantly get more liberal judges on the courts.

What's important now is which combination can win and get us talking about good changes instead of the all out shit show that is happening now.
Castro as a VP would be smart. There's an article out today about how the Latino vote was up 30 points in the key CA congressional districts. Trump's racism helped the GOP lose 4 seats in SoCal.
trojanchick99 is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #336
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,724
Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
These are the issues I want to see a Dem focus on:

Voter Suppression -- We can't call ourselves a democracy with how fucked up our voting system is slanted against minorities.
Enviornment -- Should probably be number one since none of it will matter when we're spending all of our $$$ on recovery
Healthcare -- M4ALL or whatever you want to call it, something has to be done
Wealth / Wage Regulations / Income Inequality
Agreed. I'd also love to see campaign finance reform discussed in there as well, as I think that's an issue that voters of all stripes could generally get behind and would definitely help further give the Democrats a boost. That could perhaps be mixed in among discussion of voter suppression or something. Gun control should also definitely be in there somewhere, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I'll be honest. I'm so over the nitpicking of every detail of the candidates backgrounds at this point. Unless they are an out of the norm candidate like Shultz who can fuck himself, the rest of the field is largely quite liberal senators. So i could care less if they made some bad decisions in the past that don't pass the "true progressive" test.
Any of us on the left would vote for a coffee table over Trump, so why get bogged down in the bullshit of a bad past vote or two.
Any of the candidates are going to push for healthcare reform, more affordable college, environmental regulations, protect a woman's right to control her body, stronger financial regs, and more fair tax structure. And most importantly get more liberal judges on the courts.

What's important now is which combination can win and get us talking about good changes instead of the all out shit show that is happening now.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts at this point. I have no problem discussing some of the issues surrounding their stances on various policies when need be, but yeah, if they can prove they'll deliver on the biggest, most important issues at this time, I'm good.

I'd love to see an all-woman ticket in 2020, but yeah, there's definitely some opportunity among all the candidates to create an interesting and exciting ticket.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 08:14 AM
I loved it when Senator Harris said last night that the members of Congress should look at the autopsy photos of the children at Sandy Hook. Is that "dramatic" to say? Not to me, to me it's nothing but REAL. Stop acting so detached, it's so damn inhumane and gross.

Similar to when doctors were told recently that it wasn't their business to get involved in gun control. They see the reality of what happens to gunshot victims. Some members of Congress never want to see that. Really messes up their friend$hip$ with the NRA.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,974
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Beto would be the shit stirrer, bring in the bernie base just with his personality
calling beto a "shit stirrer" and thinking that "the bernie base" would even give him the time of day has got to be a joke, right?

leftists cannot stand beto o'rourke. he would be a republican in almost any other state besides texas. he doesn't commit to any policy positions, much less actual left-wing policies. his only consistent policy positions seem to be "i support the thing that the audience i am currently speaking to would most like me to support" and "i'm not as shitty as ted cruz".

god almighty i hope he doesn't run. thankfully that's looking less and less likely as time goes on.
DaveC is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #339
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,233
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
calling beto a "shit stirrer" and thinking that "the bernie base" would even give him the time of day has got to be a joke, right?

leftists cannot stand beto o'rourke. he would be a republican in almost any other state besides texas. he doesn't commit to any policy positions, much less actual left-wing policies. his only consistent policy positions seem to be "i support the thing that the audience i am currently speaking to would most like me to support" and "i'm not as shitty as ted cruz".

god almighty i hope he doesn't run. thankfully that's looking less and less likely as time goes on.
I think your analysis may be off here, or maybe mine is. LOL.

But I think Beto would definitely appeal to a large group that made up Bernie's base. These were not the far left people. These were the group that were vacillating between Bernie and Trump. Yes, as crazy as that sounds, it's very much the case.
It was the presentation, the personality, the outspoken, not your typical politician persona. Bernie felt like someone that would change things, would stand up for the everyday man/woman. This appealed to a lot of people and I think Beto would have that same appeal to a lot of voters.
I personally don't think that he should head up a ticket, but i think he could bring life to another top of ticket candidate that might be lacking charisma.
womanfish is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,233
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I loved it when Senator Harris said last night that the members of Congress should look at the autopsy photos of the children at Sandy Hook. Is that "dramatic" to say? Not to me, to me it's nothing but REAL. Stop acting so detached, it's so damn inhumane and gross.

Similar to when doctors were told recently that it wasn't their business to get involved in gun control. They see the reality of what happens to gunshot victims. Some members of Congress never want to see that. Really messes up their friend$hip$ with the NRA.
Yes, that was great moment. I've only seen bits and pieces. But it reminded me of the douche Rubio standing there with Parkland survivors telling them that he doesn't change his policy based on the NRA, the NRA just supports a lot of the policies that he has, so he can't help but take their money!
Stunning sliminess. And this was the exact opposite.
__________________

womanfish is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×