US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And now a live look at Northam's press conference

tenor.gif

What is it you think people want?

(No snark, I genuinely want to know)
To live their lives without the threat of losing everything if they get injured/sick or laid off. To be able to live without the anxieties we all take for granted because they are all we have ever known.

The first step to doing that, in my opinion, is to give everyone healthcare. Not "access" or "affordability," which are words that sound good but really just mean adding some regulations to the existing system. You need to kill private insurance. Everyone gets healthcare, period. No strings attached. We can afford it. Every other country does.

People want it. Polls show it. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know it's true, anyway.

[TWEET]1091462345438576640[/TWEET]

I’m from Des Moines, it was in the top 2 for insurance capitals of the US (not sure anymore as i moved five years ago)

You tell them you’ll kill private insurance and you’ve lost Iowa

You better have a plan on how to transition those people into new jobs

In the interview before the Super Bowl tomorrow (during which I'll be watching something far less disgusting like Dr. Pimple Popper marathon) Trump says Cory Booker has no chance in 2020. Hahahahaha

I’m from Des Moines, it was in the top 2 for insurance capitals of the US (not sure anymore as i moved five years ago)

You tell them you’ll kill private insurance and you’ve lost Iowa

You better have a plan on how to transition those people into new jobs

Sure, practically speaking.

But the notion that “______ is too big to fail” is a story we’ve heard before.

It’s not a valid argument for letting it continue to exist if you can do something about it.

I want the same thing.

I just haven’t heard how we change the landscape of our healthcare, our government to make it work.

It doesn’t mean we don’t try or give up, i just really want to see a plan.

That’s all. It should be a debate by people we elect.

There will be no perfect system and when loop holes or gaps are found, we continue to change it for the better.

I just wish it was more than high level talks or tax the rich

To live their lives without the threat of losing everything if they get injured/sick or laid off. To be able to live without the anxieties we all take for granted because they are all we have ever known.

The first step to doing that, in my opinion, is to give everyone healthcare. Not "access" or "affordability," which are words that sound good but really just mean adding some regulations to the existing system. You need to kill private insurance. Everyone gets healthcare, period. No strings attached. We can afford it. Every other country does.

People want it. Polls show it. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know it's true, anyway.

[TWEET]1091462345438576640[/TWEET]

First of all, to implement this overnight would be an economic nightmare to the US. It has to be phased, to pretend otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

Secondly, I see no problem keeping the private industry for optional medical procedures. If I’m not mistaken, isn’t this how Australia is set up? Axver COBL can you elaborate?

The other issue is this... It needs to be an amendment.

We can't play with people's health like this, where they have coverage, then there's a chance in management and all of a sudden they don't.

Agreed. It’s a crying shame that we used to amend the constitution for things that matter, and yet in my lifetime the only attempted constitutional amendment was the single most pathetic thing a group of politicians could ever argue about.

End slavery
Women can vote
Alcohol is immoral and its existence is against our virtues
Jk on the last one
Leadership limits to avoid seizure of power
What happens when the leadership hierarchy is unexpectedly shaken up
You can’t burn a piece of cloth

Wait what

In Canada we have universal healthcare, but private insurance exists for supplementary spending. It is typically paid for by the employer with the employee making a contribution, not huge, depending on whether they have a spouse and dependents. This covers:

- prescription drugs (not sure if it's the same across all provinces but here they are free for all kids, seniors below a certain income threshold, people on social assistance, etc but everyone else pays)
- hospital expenses (if you want semi-private or private accommodations as opposed to a ward room to be shared with up to 4 patients)
- massage therapy, physio, occupational therapy, dentistry, orthodontics, prosthetics, vision care like glasses, contacts, etc.

Additionally we also have entirely private medical care facilities in a very limited fashion. The wealthy go to MedCan or something similar for their annual physicals, quick work ups, etc. Typically provided to executives by their employers. Fertility clinics are also outside of the public sphere - some provinces cover very limited fertility treatment for "free" (in reality they cover a small percentage of costs for a certain number of cycles), but generally they are unregulated and can and do charge what their American counterparts would. Meaning tens of thousands of $.

Right now, there is space for Biden, and his appeal to working clas whites is real.

Not seeing space for Sanders.

https://twitter.com/stevemorris__/status/1092807628147879939

imagine being so utterly morally bankrupt that you unironically call the basic concept of fairness "this ideology" with a perfectly straight face on national television on a network that literally has the word "fair" in its slogan.

Don't worry, they will soon trot out Joe the Plumber Part 2 to explain to us all how these tax proposals will kill the American Dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom