US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that this time, unlike in most elections, the VP pick will actually matter. First because you can provide someone for everyone in a way. I fully expect the democratic ticket will have one man, one woman. If pressed, I'd be more likely to guess 2 women than 2 men. No way no how will we have 2 white men on the Dem ticket. So the VP pick lets you be a bit more flexible if you choose a person who is charismatic enough and good enough of a campaigner to deliver something of value. Tim Kaine was a horrific pick for Hillary, I said it here a million times. How they were able to go out and find the only man in America with less charisma than Mike Pence is quite the achievement.

Watched the Harris town hall as well, not all of it, but she passes the most important test IMO, which is electability. She's what that dinosaur Orrin Hatch would describe as "pleasing to the eye", well-spoken, confident, not stiff with regular people/audience, and looks good on TV. Many of these are very superficial but those are the times we live in.

It would also be a good play to have a centrist and a progressive on the ticket.

I think what can hurt Harris is if there was any sort of wrongful conviction during her time as a Prosecutor. Not that mistakes don't happen, or even if it wasn't her fault....

The GOP are a different animal when it comes to smear campaigns, mainly because they and their base don't care what they've done themselves. Look no further than Trump.....or Roy Moore (granted he didn't win, but the fact a pedo could come that close!!!!)

And let's not leave out Russia and it's trolls.

That's a lot for the Dems to go up against. When our election is geared towards the rural area versus vote count.....

These are the issues I want to see a Dem focus on:

Voter Suppression -- We can't call ourselves a democracy with how fucked up our voting system is slanted against minorities.
Enviornment -- Should probably be number one since none of it will matter when we're spending all of our $$$ on recovery
Healthcare -- M4ALL or whatever you want to call it, something has to be done
Wealth / Wage Regulations / Income Inequality

I think that this time, unlike in most elections, the VP pick will actually matter. First because you can provide someone for everyone in a way. I fully expect the democratic ticket will have one man, one woman. If pressed, I'd be more likely to guess 2 women than 2 men. No way no how will we have 2 white men on the Dem ticket. So the VP pick lets you be a bit more flexible if you choose a person who is charismatic enough and good enough of a campaigner to deliver something of value. Tim Kaine was a horrific pick for Hillary, I said it here a million times. How they were able to go out and find the only man in America with less charisma than Mike Pence is quite the achievement.

Watched the Harris town hall as well, not all of it, but she passes the most important test IMO, which is electability. She's what that dinosaur Orrin Hatch would describe as "pleasing to the eye", well-spoken, confident, not stiff with regular people/audience, and looks good on TV. Many of these are very superficial but those are the times we live in.

I fully agree here. I think a two woman ticket would be great, and at least one woman is vital. Harris/Klobeshar could work. I think the draw on women and minority voters would be great, and Amy could do well with midwest voters as well.
Maybe a Harris/Booker or vice versa. Obviously a big African American turnout, as well as women, both candidates, sharp and camera ready.
Harris/Castro? Not bad, a wider draw of minority vote with a latino VP. May put FL back in the Dem column, NV would be a lock and AZ could be in play.
I'll even go with Harris/O'Roarke. That could be interesting. Both are charasmatic, but Beto would be the shit stirrer, bring in the bernie base just with his personality, and he could draw as much Latino vote as a white guy could.

I'll be honest. I'm so over the nitpicking of every detail of the candidates backgrounds at this point. Unless they are an out of the norm candidate like Shultz who can fuck himself, the rest of the field is largely quite liberal senators. So i could care less if they made some bad decisions in the past that don't pass the "true progressive" test.
Any of us on the left would vote for a coffee table over Trump, so why get bogged down in the bullshit of a bad past vote or two.
Any of the candidates are going to push for healthcare reform, more affordable college, environmental regulations, protect a woman's right to control her body, stronger financial regs, and more fair tax structure. And most importantly get more liberal judges on the courts.

What's important now is which combination can win and get us talking about good changes instead of the all out shit show that is happening now.

Last edited:
Every time I hear a new Uncle Howie soundbite, I lose more respect for him. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - I should have known that just because someone runs a business a certain way (i.e., super passionate about making sure people can get health coverage, for example), that doesn't mean that translates to the government.

I'm also completely over tired coffee-related jokes in response to him. Super original, geniuses.

I fully agree here. I think a two woman ticket would be great, and at least one woman is vital. Harris/Klobeshar could work. I think the draw on women and minority voters would be great, and Amy could do well with midwest voters as well.
Maybe a Harris/Booker or vice versa. Obviously a big African American turnout, as well as women, both candidates, sharp and camera ready.
Harris/Castro? Not bad, a wider draw of minority vote with a latino VP. May put FL back in the Dem column, NV would be a lock and AZ could be in play.
I'll even go with Harris/O'Roarke. That could be interesting. Both are charasmatic, but Beto would be the shit stirrer, bring in the bernie base just with his personality, and he could draw as much Latino vote as a white guy could.

I'll be honest. I'm so over the nitpicking of every detail of the candidates backgrounds at this point. Unless they are an out of the norm candidate like Shultz who can fuck himself, the rest of the field is largely quite liberal senators. So i could care less if they made some bad decisions in the past that don't pass the "true progressive" test.
Any of us on the left would vote for a coffee table over Trump, so why get bogged down in the bullshit of a bad past vote or two.
Any of the candidates are going to push for healthcare reform, more affordable college, environmental regulations, protect a woman's right to control her body, stronger financial regs, and more fair tax structure. And most importantly get more liberal judges on the courts.

What's important now is which combination can win and get us talking about good changes instead of the all out shit show that is happening now.

Castro as a VP would be smart. There's an article out today about how the Latino vote was up 30 points in the key CA congressional districts. Trump's racism helped the GOP lose 4 seats in SoCal.

These are the issues I want to see a Dem focus on:

Voter Suppression -- We can't call ourselves a democracy with how fucked up our voting system is slanted against minorities.
Enviornment -- Should probably be number one since none of it will matter when we're spending all of our $$$ on recovery
Healthcare -- M4ALL or whatever you want to call it, something has to be done
Wealth / Wage Regulations / Income Inequality

Agreed. I'd also love to see campaign finance reform discussed in there as well, as I think that's an issue that voters of all stripes could generally get behind and would definitely help further give the Democrats a boost. That could perhaps be mixed in among discussion of voter suppression or something. Gun control should also definitely be in there somewhere, too.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts at this point. I have no problem discussing some of the issues surrounding their stances on various policies when need be, but yeah, if they can prove they'll deliver on the biggest, most important issues at this time, I'm good.

I'd love to see an all-woman ticket in 2020, but yeah, there's definitely some opportunity among all the candidates to create an interesting and exciting ticket.

I loved it when Senator Harris said last night that the members of Congress should look at the autopsy photos of the children at Sandy Hook. Is that "dramatic" to say? Not to me, to me it's nothing but REAL. Stop acting so detached, it's so damn inhumane and gross.

Similar to when doctors were told recently that it wasn't their business to get involved in gun control. They see the reality of what happens to gunshot victims. Some members of Congress never want to see that. Really messes up their friend$hip$ with the NRA.

Last edited:
Beto would be the shit stirrer, bring in the bernie base just with his personality

calling beto a "shit stirrer" and thinking that "the bernie base" would even give him the time of day has got to be a joke, right?

leftists cannot stand beto o'rourke. he would be a republican in almost any other state besides texas. he doesn't commit to any policy positions, much less actual left-wing policies. his only consistent policy positions seem to be "i support the thing that the audience i am currently speaking to would most like me to support" and "i'm not as shitty as ted cruz".

god almighty i hope he doesn't run. thankfully that's looking less and less likely as time goes on.

calling beto a "shit stirrer" and thinking that "the bernie base" would even give him the time of day has got to be a joke, right?

leftists cannot stand beto o'rourke. he would be a republican in almost any other state besides texas. he doesn't commit to any policy positions, much less actual left-wing policies. his only consistent policy positions seem to be "i support the thing that the audience i am currently speaking to would most like me to support" and "i'm not as shitty as ted cruz".

god almighty i hope he doesn't run. thankfully that's looking less and less likely as time goes on.

I think your analysis may be off here, or maybe mine is. LOL.

But I think Beto would definitely appeal to a large group that made up Bernie's base. These were not the far left people. These were the group that were vacillating between Bernie and Trump. Yes, as crazy as that sounds, it's very much the case.
It was the presentation, the personality, the outspoken, not your typical politician persona. Bernie felt like someone that would change things, would stand up for the everyday man/woman. This appealed to a lot of people and I think Beto would have that same appeal to a lot of voters.
I personally don't think that he should head up a ticket, but i think he could bring life to another top of ticket candidate that might be lacking charisma.

Last edited:
I loved it when Senator Harris said last night that the members of Congress should look at the autopsy photos of the children at Sandy Hook. Is that "dramatic" to say? Not to me, to me it's nothing but REAL. Stop acting so detached, it's so damn inhumane and gross.

Similar to when doctors were told recently that it wasn't their business to get involved in gun control. They see the reality of what happens to gunshot victims. Some members of Congress never want to see that. Really messes up their friend$hip$ with the NRA.

Yes, that was great moment. I've only seen bits and pieces. But it reminded me of the douche Rubio standing there with Parkland survivors telling them that he doesn't change his policy based on the NRA, the NRA just supports a lot of the policies that he has, so he can't help but take their money!
Stunning sliminess. And this was the exact opposite.

I think that's a good idea, honestly. They desperately need a wake up call.

Why should it?

Because people will look for any reason to “but her emails...” a female candidate.

Also, and it is getting better, but female politicians, especially conservative ones, often have had to couch their political positions with “as a mother, I ...”

Because people will look for any reason to “but her emails...” a female candidate.

Also, and it is getting better, but female politicians, especially conservative ones, often have had to couch their political positions with “as a mother, I ...”

Who Is America.

Howard Dean.

Sacha Baron Cohen at his finest.

do we think her childless/free-ness is going to become an issue?

Yes, but I think it will be minor or easily brushed off due to her particular circumstances. She didn't marry until she was 49 or 50, meaning well beyond childbearing age. So unless they are going to take the position that it would be preferable had she been an unwed, single black mother (is there a graver sin in America?), I think it'll get pushed aside. Had she married her husband 20 years prior, you can bet it would be a bigger deal for people who don't comprehend that other people's reproductive choices and fertility are not any of their business.

That will be so depressing if the fact that she doesn't have kids is ever made into some sort of issue.

It's nobody's damn business, and it would never be an issue about a male candidate. I deal with that all the time, have even had complete strangers ask me why I don't have kids and I'm not married. Why are women's personal choices always judged in that way? It's like "you're going against the natural order of things, what's wrong with you?"

She's running for President of the United States. Not Mom of all of us.

I’m not saying it will. And obviously that it shouldn’t. I’m just wondering how that particular form of misogyny will present itself.

Maybe it won’t.

DyKkqXAWsAE1UXk.jpg:large

There economy. There castle.

i enjoyed watching Howard Schultz sputter at journalists daring to question the very smart and amazing thoughts he thinks.
it seems Howard has two primary justifications for his potential candidacy:

1. he's really inspiring, and every American wants to be him
2. he doesn't want Elizabeth Warren to take away his "self-made" billion dollars

also, because he's an independent, this gives him automatic credibility with people like Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell. Howard tells us he knows really smart people, the best people, and he will get them in a room together with Mitch and "Nancy" and, because he's Howard, who is the walking embodiment of every American's hopes and aspirations, and because he's an independent, they will finally be able to negotiate and compromise and come up with a solution to all our problems.

the end.

i haven't seen a candidate so ill-prepared for prime time since Gary Johnson.

Last edited:
This Schultz guy needs to fuck off already. I love the theory that all the people who stayed home (you know, more people than voted for either Hillary or Trump) were somehow disaffected voters who couldn't bring themselves to take 5 mins out of their precious days to vote for the lesser evil. Yep, you guys, these people and the health insurance lobby and executives will be Schultz's constituency. Good luck with that.

Kamala Harris - bending literally 24 hours after you proclaimed you were for universal healthcare looks weak and stupid. Whichever advisor told you to do this needs to be fired now. If you're uncomfortable with insurance companies going out of business (smallest violin) then you should have taken the view that many Western nations do which is universal coverage for most things with either supplementary insurance through private companies or some sort of parallel system which allows you to jump the public queue in circumstances where you're willing to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom