US Politics XI - more threads than fired Trump cabinet members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
should they even bother to impeach him though?

or just render him as impotent as possible and then have all this ammo to campaign against him in 2020, rather than pence or some other establishment republican? obviously they can't remove him from office with a republican senate but it doesn't seem to me like the symbolic house vote is even worth the constitutional turmoil.

I'd like to see him impeached, both because a) he's clearly done plenty of crap worthy of it and deserves to be held accountable for his actions, and b) I'm afraid of him still being around to run again in 2020. I'd like to believe he wouldn't be re-elected, but after the last two years, and seeing how much shit he's been able to get away with, and how utterly devoted his supporters are, well...

I sadly do understand the Democrats being wary about whether or not to go forward with impeachment, though. It sucks that they're stuck in this position where, if they rightly were to try and push for it, it'd be seen as a partisan move instead of a necessary decision. This should be something that both parties can support and work together on, but god forbid the GOP show anything resembling a spine and a conscience.

I'd like to see him impeached, both because a) he's clearly done plenty of crap worthy of it and deserves to be held accountable for his actions, and b) I'm afraid of him still being around to run again in 2020. I'd like to believe he wouldn't be re-elected, but after the last two years, and seeing how much shit he's been able to get away with, and how utterly devoted his supporters are, well...

I sadly do understand the Democrats being wary about whether or not to go forward with impeachment, though. It sucks that they're stuck in this position where, if they rightly were to try and push for it, it'd be seen as a partisan move instead of a necessary decision. This should be something that both parties can support and work together on, but god forbid the GOP show anything resembling a spine and a conscience.
This is why the Democrats need to wait for Mueller.

He has PROBABLY done plenty of crap worthy of being impeached.

Being a horrible person alone is not enough to impeach. There needs to be direct evidence of high crimes or misdemeanors to impeach. We have a mountain of circumstantial evidence on that. We don't have the smoking gun. Even on obstruction; you need to prove intent for obstruction. There's so much smoke on obstruction that duh, it's obvious... but to remove a president you're going to need more than smoke (even if you have enough smoke to fill the universe 5 times over).

I believe Mueller has the fire - but we need to see it first. It may be misguided, but I even believe that enough republicans will back impeachment if the Mueller Report is clear cut. Until then, or if it is still just mountains of mountains of smoke, it's merely a practice in futility.

I don’t think that he’ll ever be impeached, not with this Senate so it’s a bit pointless. Even if he is technically guilty, they all wear him around their necks like an anvil and their idiot constituents at home think that this is all fake news and a made up witch hunt. The most we can hope for is that a couple of people mount an actual primary challenge to him (and not somebody like Flake who would her killed on day 1), enough to keep the Cheeto busy and distracted through most of 2020 and further alienate country club conservatives.

2020 is only way we get him out.

The congress won’t go forward with it because it’ll be the end of the GOP. Trump was planning on starting his own network and that probably would have turned into a 3rd party.

The GOP can’t lose his supporters

The GOP must also be looking at the 8-9 point popular vote loss from the midterms. That has to be scary. I could see House Republicans turning on him much faster than the Senate Republicans, who benefit from the over representation of rural, white states.

Then again, the House has probably just been purged of all vulnerable republicans, so maybe not ...

And really the only vulnerable seats for the GOP in the senate in 2020 IIRC are Collins and Gardner but they are also very likely to get Alabama back from
the Dems so there is very little incentive for them to put country first. They could get slaughtered in 2022 with a verrrry unfavourable senate map but that may as well be 100 years away.

Don Jr. likely lied under oath.

Let me rephrase... If Cohen's story is true and Mueller has receipts, then Don Jr. absolutely lied under oath to Congress.

How is a busy and important man like Don Jr. supposed to keep all his meeting details straight?

q5ROsCM.gif

Y9O1zSt.jpg

(I know that Trump doesn't appear to actually be watching them, but that screen grab fucking killed me.)

And these are the world "leaders" who decide our fate. Bunch of criminals.

Goodbye, Bush 1.

I’ll remember him as the man who was President when I started to pay attention to politics as a middle schooler. He was also the end of the moderate, New England-style Republicanism that no longer exists, ending with his son’s Christofascism and now totally dead with Trump’s ethnofascism.

You could look at his years as a time of what now looks like reasonable bipartisanship and governance. And he was a legit WW2 hero. However, while people think Palin was the first glimpse of Trump, really, it was dipshit Quayle who was the precursor to idiot, know-nothing conservatism that has now taken hold of the party.

Last edited:
I was watching that "Through the Decades" show on (what else?) the Decades channel the other night. They talked about how, during his presidency, Bush Sr. signed into law an immigration act, co-sponsored by Edward Kennedy, that expanded opportunities and options for immigrants wanting to come to the U.S. There was a lot of really good stuff in there, and it led to a huge increase in immigration in the following years.

All I could think while watching was, "Good luck getting a Republican to support something like that today. Hell, good luck getting them and the Democrats to just work together on anything, period."

it's weird that george bush sr was elected president in 1988 but jimmy carter was born six months later and was elected in 1976.

It’s crazy to think that both him and JFK fought in the same theater of war in the Pacific. JFK 6-7 years older?

Just an update.....NPR had to retract their story about Don Jr. Cause it was fake news

You mean they made an error and corrected it, and didnt double-down and continue to lie and call everyone else liars and rage tweet about it?

Does that qualify as “fake news”? I’m sure they knowingly tried to get away with it until someone brace called them out and, boom! No one messes with the Trump and the truth!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom