US Politics XI - more threads than fired Trump cabinet members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So ... people on my phone are telling me that the only way out he has is to declare a national emergency, reopen the government out of his own magnanimity, and then when it’s shot down in court, claim dolschstass via activist liberal judges.

So I guess that’s one possible ending.

So ... people on my phone are telling me that the only way out he has is to declare a national emergency, reopen the government out of his own magnanimity, and then when it’s shot down in court, claim dolschstass via activist liberal judges.

Probably the best ending for everyone when you think about it.

I can see it going this way, but if he declares a national emergency and there is an immediate injunction, what does that do for the shutdown?

Does anyone really see a happy ending to the Trump Presidency?

The great depression had to be very bleak, with a lot of people wondering if the country would come out of it. The world wars, and nuclear standoff with Russia/Cuba had to be pretty bleak too.

But have we every gone down this road with a leader who's administration entire purpose is to burn down the government and eventually try for a one party rule (why else would the GOP be acting the way they are other than to never give up their power)?

I just wonder if other countries have gone through something similar and came out OK on the other side?

Does anyone really see a happy ending to the Trump Presidency?

The great depression had to be very bleak, with a lot of people wondering if the country would come out of it. The world wars, and nuclear standoff with Russia/Cuba had to be pretty bleak too.

But have we every gone down this road with a leader who's administration entire purpose is to burn down the government and eventually try for a one party rule (why else would the GOP be acting the way they are other than to never give up their power)?

I just wonder if other countries have gone through something similar and came out OK on the other side?
We're down a road I don't think we ever fully recover from

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” Mr. King said. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”

Thanks, Iowa!

Luckily I didn't grow up in his district. Des Moines is a much more liberal area of Iowa, surrounded by these types though. But Western Iowa might as well be Nebraska.

They don’t care.

Canadians may understand this but once my husband asked an Oilers fan whether they would be ok being guaranteed the Stanley Cup this year in exchange for the Leafs winning it next year. The guy said no, he hated the Leafs more than he liked his own team.

These people just want to stick it to the Libs - we are all a combination of Feminazi SJW Elitist Jewish Quinoa guzzling Trannies to them and literally anything is acceptable so long as we are “owned” publicly. It’s truly a pathology.

Well, I'm hoping he doesn't get reelected. The next president will still have to do a lot of damage control, even after 4 years.

And of course, if they don't try and fix everything fast enough to people's satisfaction, they'll probably get yelled at for it.

I want to hang on to my optimism and hope and believe we can make it through this nightmare of a presidency and come out of it better. Given the other things this country has survived, I like to think we'll be able to get past this, too, though I don't argue that getting back to any semblance of normal will take a while. I hope like hell I'm right, and I continue to also hope Trump's time in office ends as soon as humanly possible. I also hope, that whenever we do finally get a Democrat back in office, they change or add laws that can help make it much, much, MUCH harder, if not outright impossible, for something like this to ever happen again.

As for Trump supporters, I'm tired of showing any patience or understanding towards them. They let their ignorance and stupidity put us in this shitty situation, all because they were immature babies who couldn't deal with the fact that the world was changing, and they voted for this guy for the dumbest of reasons. They can deny that racism/sexism/xenophobia were a large part of their support (if not the sole reason) all they want, but their words and actions prove otherwise. They wanted him so bad, fine. They get to own every single one of the crappy things that they allowed and encouraged him to do, then, and they get to own whatever negative aftermath comes of this. The right keeps harping on all the time about how people need to take personal responsibility for their actions, now's the time for them to put their money where their mouths are.

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” Mr. King said. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”

Thanks, Iowa!

Luckily I didn't grow up in his district. Des Moines is a much more liberal area of Iowa, surrounded by these types though. But Western Iowa might as well be Nebraska.

I do live in his district, unfortunately, and you're not wrong (though I think my particular town is not as big on King as other areas are-I saw way more signs for Scholten in the lead up to the midterms here than I did for King). I never hear King supporters openly speak up, though. Anytime I hear or read about people in this state talking about King, they're going on about how they can't stand him and don't understand why he's still in office. I was reading our local paper not long after the midterms, and my favorite letter in response to the state results was one that simply said this:

"Dear Northwest Iowa -

Please evolve.

Sincerely, the rest of Iowa."

The race between him and the Democratic candidate for my district was a lot closer than I think he expected, though, and some Republicans have been starting to pull away from him around here (far too late, mind, but still). And I saw a story yesterday about another Republican who wants to take over his seat. I don't know that King has quite the support he may have had at one point. Hopefully he'll be kicked out of office as soon as humanly possible, too.

They don’t care.

Canadians may understand this but once my husband asked an Oilers fan whether they would be ok being guaranteed the Stanley Cup this year in exchange for the Leafs winning it next year. The guy said no, he hated the Leafs more than he liked his own team.

These people just want to stick it to the Libs - we are all a combination of Feminazi SJW Elitist Jewish Quinoa guzzling Trannies to them and literally anything is acceptable so long as we are “owned” publicly. It’s truly a pathology.
Here's the deal, and what we need to all remember as we approach 2020 (assuming he's still president in 2020, and assuming he runs)

He BARELY won against one of the most unlikeable (going strictly by the numbers, not personal opinion) candidates in recent memory. He threaded the needle in the EC and got destroyed in the popular.

And this was when there were still some moderates or independents who believed he would, pivot once he took office and come a little bit back to the center.

He can not win reelection on only his base. Sure, there are still many Republicans who will vote for him even though they know he's crazy simply because the R will be next to his name.

But man... good luck with the "hidden Trump vote" independents this go around.

Well, this should be fun.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-trump-lawyer-cohen-testify-publicly-congress-202928769.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump's former personal attorney Michael Cohen said on Thursday he had agreed to testify publicly before a congressional panel on Feb. 7, as U.S. House of Representatives Democrats began kicking off numerous investigations of Trump, his business interests and his administration.

Cohen said in a statement he had accepted an invitation to testify from Representative Elijah Cummings, the Democratic chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

"I look forward to having the privilege of being afforded a platform with which to give a full and credible account of the events which have transpired," Cohen said.

Cummings said the committee has no intention of interfering in ongoing criminal probes. He said, "To that end, we are in the process of consulting with Special Counsel Mueller’s office."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom