US Politics VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a bit from CNBC Contributor Kevin O'Leary, on the tariffs and economic suicide:

The policy is crystal clear. Listen to the messaging coming from Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Director Larry Kudlow and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. These are competent managers tasked with executing directives. They and their staff have delivered deregulation and tax reform and are now focused on trade.

Their message is clear. They are going to keep ratcheting up tariffs until the eurozone and China come to the table. They care about the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the Asian trade protocol too, but these have been pushed to the back burner while they focus on the big dogs, China and Europe.

If you listen and believe the noise, this is economic suicide and will result in the end of the free world as we have known it.

So why has the market not corrected, and why have many stocks continued to hit all-time historic highs? Because the potential to equalize tariffs has such tremendous economic upside for the U.S. economy, investors are willing to put up with pain even if the chance of success is only 50 percent or less.

How much pain? A lot.

The markets know this is not going to happen overnight, but the upside is so enticing that it is willing to wait. Case in point: Trump recently remarked to German Chancellor Angela Merkel that he sees a lot more German cars driving around the U.S. than he sees American automobiles on the Autobahn.

Maybe the Germans got the message. They are rumored to be bringing a deal on auto tariffs between the two countries when they meet at the White House soon. This is proof that if you don’t ask, you don’t get. I am going to go long on the U.S. auto sector going into that dinner.

My bet is that the strategy is about to start to paying dividends — the equalization of trade tariffs. This is a move toward a more free and competitive trade between the two auto markets that we have not seen in decades. Investors and employees will benefit.

China is going to be far more complex, but I’m willing to wait and, for now, so is the market.

I never endorse politicians. You can’t win because you will always make 50 percent of the constituency unhappy. But I do watch and study policy. I have to because I have to put money to work in the market every day, and policy can have a tremendous impact on returns.

You never know what the market will do tomorrow, but you can manage risk. My best advice in these extraordinary times? Tune out the circus and focus on the policy that actually gets implemented. It's getting interesting.

http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...shark-ignore-the-trump-circus-focus-on-policy

Look, if Trump improves the economy, fine. As long as things don't make really bad turn for the worst. With some economists predicting a recession in a few years, I am nervously watching the economy and hoping things won't be as bad - or worse - than in 2008. But if the wacko in the White House prevents that, and actually prevents it altogether, fine. But I'm not too optimistic; as it says above, the risks are too high.

Ivanka is shutting down her clothing company to devote herself to public policy. Jesus, Joseph and Mary.

But God forbid Chelsea Clinton so much as tweets anything semi-political.

At this point I'm resigned to just accepting whichever Bush is in line next. I think that's Jebbie's oldest, George P. Bush. Looks like the other Georges, served in Reserves, currently a Texas politician. Come on down!

^^^ I was thinking the same thing. He's grooming her.

Maybe some of you read this article or heard about it, but I'll post the link just in case:

Washington Post: God, Trump and the meaning of Morality

Basically, hardcore Trump supporters in the deep South (where else?) support Trump and believe God is working through him, because he wants to end abortion, hates "what they hate" and will save the Christian nation. Very insightful here.

Last edited:
he seems to be under the impression that if the US puts tariffs on all their exports, that the rest of the world will keep buying just as many american goods, only now the US government gets a cut from it. except that in reality, the rest of the world will spend far less money on american goods and the domestic economy gets wrecked.

if i'm a butcher in canada, why would i buy a texas cow for $1000+5% tariff when i could buy essentially the same cow from just across the rio grande for $1000 flat?

Last edited:
he seems to be under the impression that if the US puts tariffs on all their exports, that the rest of the world will keep buying just as many american goods, only now the US government gets a cut from it. except that in reality, the rest of the world will spend far less money on american goods and the domestic economy gets wrecked.

if i'm a butcher in canada, why would i buy a texas cow for $1000+5% tariff when i could buy essentially the same cow from just across the rio grande for $1000 flat?
Because Mexican cows are bringing drugs, they're rapists, and some are good cows.

We've been discussing and sharing so much bad and scary news here lately-somebody shared these links to a couple positive stories on another site earlier and I want to share them here. I feel we could use a bit of hope and happiness.

First, we may have a new round of voters on hand come November:

https://www.motherjones.com/politic...ring-to-vote-in-huge-numbers-new-study-finds/

The March for Our Lives teens said they’d #VoteThemOut, and a new study suggests they could be poised to do just that. According to the political data firm TargetSmart, the percentage of newly registered voters who are under the age of 30 has grown significantly in a number of key battleground states since the February school shooting in Parkland, Florida. The surge could have big implications in this fall’s fight for control of Congress.

The study evaluated all new voter registrations in the 39 states with available data since February 14, 2018—the day of the Parkland shooting—and calculated the change in the share of new registrants who are 18 to 29 years old. Across the country, the share of youth registrants increased by a modest 2.16 percentage points. But in Indiana, Virginia, and New York—home to some of this year’s marquee House and Senate contests—the share of youth registrants increased by 9.87, 10.49, and 10.7 percentage points, respectively. In Pennsylvania—where voters will decide as many as nine competitive congressional races—the share of new registrants who are younger than 30 jumped by a whopping 16.14 percentage points. The study doesn’t evaluate how many of the new registrants may have been motivated by the #NeverAgain movement.

And second, a great story about a town in Georgia that's doing the refugee thing right:

https://www.today.com/news/clarkston-georgia-home-thousands-refugees-t132421

Ivanka is shutting down her clothing company to devote herself to public policy. Jesus, Joseph and Mary.

But God forbid Chelsea Clinton so much as tweets anything semi-political.

At this point I'm resigned to just accepting whichever Bush is in line next. I think that's Jebbie's oldest, George P. Bush. Looks like the other Georges, served in Reserves, currently a Texas politician. Come on down!

i'm quite certain it has more to do with her brand hemorrhaging money (in keeping with long-standing trump tradition) due to its association with the administration, despite the face-saving bullshit put out by the white house. major retailers were dropping it like a hot potato in the first half of the year to bring in inventory that actually sells.

also, no more goddamn bushes, clintons, or trumps. the obamas can have one more go.

Last edited:
i'm quite certain it has more to do with her brand hemorrhaging money (in keeping with long-standing trump tradition) due to its association with the administration, despite the face-saving bullshit put out by the white house. major retailers were dropping it like a hot potato in the first half of the year to bring in inventory that actually sells.

also, no more goddamn bushes, clintons, or trumps. the obamas can have one more go.
Nah.

Unless one of the kids becomes a politician down the line, I think I'm good on electing unqualified people on name value for a while.

Say hello to your first female president, Ivanka Trump

I hate to say it but that's actually not a joke as far as what she thinks. And what Trump supporters think. Remember when Steve Bannon said that Ivanka and Jared had a deal regarding who would run fjrst? I think it was Bannon.

If you read comments on news articles or on social media, Trump supporters think she would be a great President. They also think Don Jr would. With Kimberly Guilfoyle as his first lady.

So much bad shit happening and yet I'm still mortified that the Democrats will blow this.

They might, but let's not put all of it on them. They are going up against a majority who is basically openly conspiring with Russia now for the Mid Terms.

Trump is playing a game now by saying Russia will help the Dems with hacking, so even if a blue wave takes over, Trump and GOP can now fight it endlessly because it's rigged.

Basically it's like 2016 again with Trump saying if he loses it's because the election was rigged.

They might, but let's not put all of it on them. They are going up against a majority who is basically openly conspiring with Russia now for the Mid Terms.

Trump is playing a game now by saying Russia will help the Dems with hacking, so even if a blue wave takes over, Trump and GOP can now fight it endlessly because it's rigged.

Basically it's like 2016 again with Trump saying if he loses it's because the election was rigged.
It's undoubtedly true that Russia continues to make efforts to influence the election. That said, it really, genuinely, would not be very difficult to beat them if the Democrats weren't so feckless and tone deaf. Every time I read a quote from Tom Perez or Chuck Schumer I get sick to my stomach imagining the Dems falling short again this fall. They're clueless.

Trump and the GOP can't fight the numbers unless the Dems are so weak that they have people cave on key issues. I just worry the Dems won't get the numbers.

Here's more:

War with Iran?

War with Iran would be an unmitigated disaster. The U.S. military could do major damage, but Tehran has options to retaliate throughout the region against U.S. forces in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and our allies with conventional weapons, terrorism and cyberwarfare. Iran's Lebanese ally, Hezbollah, could unleash a ferocious war against Israel and rebel forces in Yemen allied with Iran could escalate missile attacks against Saudi Arabia.

These attacks would kill many Americans and Israelis; seriously set back U.S. efforts to stabilize Iraq and Afghanistan and defeat jihadists in Syria; ignite a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia over Yemen; and destroy critical energy infrastructure in the Persian Gulf and seriously disrupt the flow of oil out of the region. The conflagration would cause a sharp spike in global energy prices and possibly trigger a global recession, depending on how long it takes to extinguish the firestorm.

Should the unpredictable Trump try to engage Iran in negotiations, he'd have to recommit to the nuclear accord and likely satisfy Iran with additional concessions should he want to alter it.

At the moment, there's probably no option for this administration to get U.S.-Iran policy right. But Trump could get it dangerously wrong if the policy drift and vacuum he's created leads to an aggressive campaign to topple the Iranian regime or to military conflict.

A rational approach to Tehran — confronting Iran when we must and cooperating when we can — seems out of the question. Perhaps the best we can hope for is that the Trump administration won't do more damage, muddles through and doesn't destroy U.S. vital interests in the process.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/25/6323...ted-foolishly-on-iran-lets-hope-he-avoids-war

Things aren't looking good with Iran:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...d-perhaps-save-the-nuclear-deal-idUSKBN1KF24S

And here's why Trump may want a war with Iran:

https://www.fastcompany.com/4054908...ackers-prove-the-pretext-for-john-boltons-war

A podcast: https://www.damemagazine.com/2018/07/23/yes-trump-is-trying-to-start-a-war/

I wonder if a war with Iran does happen, how many of Trump's supporters will be more than willing to sign up for the military?
The trump supporters will say they have bone spurrs

Trump and Bolton want a war with Iran. Trump wants to use nukes. There’s a history of him being fascinated by them.

The state department changed a policy this year stating cybercrime/ware fare can be punished by nuclear attack

The state department changed a policy this year stating cybercrime/ware fare can be punished by nuclear attack

Gosh, where's the logic in that? Retaliating cyber attacks with complete destruction of human life and infrastructure? Oh yeah, this is Trump we're talking about. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom