US Politics VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a thing on the Decades channel yesterday talking about how, on July 3rd, 1986, there was a celebration honoring the fact it'd been 100 years since France gave us the Statue of Liberty.

They showed clips from the celebration, and Reagan gave a speech honoring the Statue as well as stating what it represents for America in terms of people coming here for second chances and a new way of life. It was a very professional, thoughtful, stirring speech-and this is coming from somebody who, from what I know about the Reagan administration, would not have supported it had I been old enough back then. Does anyone honestly believe Trump could ever give a speech of that sort? And one that doesn't somehow tie back to him bragging about how awesome he apparently is at that?

The Republican Party of today would seriously not recognize the Republican Party of 30 years ago, let alone any earlier than that.
Missed this last night Well said.

And as someone who grew up with moderate and even liberal Republicans...

I seriously disliked Reagen because under that avuncular personality lied some terrible, and dangerous policy making. :|
But you are right MLA, drumpy would probably go off-script and self-aggrandize at some point of he could be convinced to make such a speech.

And yay to the protestors who hung up an anti-ICE banner at the base of Ms Liberty
yesterday (though maybe not for the woman who had continued to climb).

Last edited:
Scott Pruit resigned. :applaud:

Buh-byeeee, eco-destroyer :wave:

Took him long enough.

Unfortunately Drumpf will just appoint another one :sad:

Sad but true. Seriously, I love how so many other members of this administration keep leaving through quitting/resignation/firing, yet Trump is still there.

And yay to the protestors who hung up an anti-ICE banner at the base of Ms Liberty
yesterday (though maybe not for the woman who had continued to climb).

Applause to those people indeed :up:. And thanks for the comments regarding my prior post, too :).

:sad::sad::sad:

RIP Ed Shultz of MSNBC, Radio Talker of former Air America Network who died suddenly (?) today.

A good guy who became woke over the years. Very important because he fit a type of Middle America type, but changed over time and who could convey the changes with intelligence, and empathy. He also created, owned a small construction company to pass on to his kids, and as a businessman still could talk progressive values ie; like why good healthcare for all was in the longer run a good idea for business, and America.

I don't think I'll ever be convinced that losing Air America Radio in early 2010 didn't effect the 2010 midterms, let alone the 2016 election.

Last edited:
Yeah, surprised to hear of his passing. I didn't really watch his show or listen to him on the radio, but I certainly have heard of him.

64 isn't that old, either. Sad news-condolences to his loved ones, and may he rest in peace.

Charles Krauthammer passed away recently, too. Another big loss for the political commentator world.

A bunch of GOP senators (or congressman?) were in Moscow for some closed-door meeting on July 4. And Trump wants to meet Putin with no one else in the room.

Nope, nothing to see here, all is just swell.

A bunch of GOP senators (or congressman?) were in Moscow for some closed-door meeting on July 4. And Trump wants to meet Putin with no one else in the room.

Nope, nothing to see here, all is just swell.

https://www.rferl.org/a/us-legislat...on-improve-ties-observe-economy/29334313.html

The U.S. lawmakers are in Russia this week on what they say is a mission to try to help revive relations, which are severely strained, and observe how Russia's economy is doing after four years of Western sanctions.

"We come here realizing that we have a strained relationship, but we could have a better relationship between the U.S. and Russia, because we have some common interests around the world that we could hopefully work together on," Senator Richard Shelby (Republican-Alabama) told Lavrov at the start of their meeting. "We could be competitors -- we are competitors -- but we don't necessarily need to be adversaries."

...."We will have to wait and see, and go from there, but we recognize that the world is better off, I believe, if Russia and the U.S. have fewer tensions," Shelby said.

....All members of the delegation voted to pass the legislation last year that tightened and expanded sanctions on Russia, originally imposed over Russia's aggression in Ukraine. The legislation, which Trump opposed, also makes it extremely difficult for Trump to lift the sanctions without congressional approval.

....Kennedy said he wanted to see how Russia's economy is doing.

"Some say it's in shambles," he told CNN. "Others say with the increase in the price of oil, it's doing much better. Others say [Russia is] spending all their money on Syria and weaponry and the people are starving to death. Others say that's not true. So I don't know."

:shrug:

Yes, they are. Partially because they meddled in our election. And continue to sow dischord by hiring people to shit-stir on the internet and further the divide.

So yeah, please excuse me if I don't buy the GOP's reason for meeting, or have the country's best interests at heart.

Last edited:
My dad is an extreme right-winger, the stereotypical kind (don't judge me), and his favorite pundit is Pat Buchanan. He even gets newsletters from him via email and sends it to everyone, including me.

One recent newsletter I read had Buchanan praising Russia to the skies over its anti-gay policy, authoritarianism and the government's relations with the Russian Orthodox church. Reading what Bluer White just posted, I can't help but wonder if some GOP members admire Russia for the same reasons, thus wanting better relations.

And Trump tweeted in support of a GOP leader who is more or less the next Jerry Sandusky in a child abuse scandal.

Burn it all down.

And Trump tweeted in support of a GOP leader who is more or less the next Jerry Sandusky in a child abuse scandal.

Burn it all down.
Jordan's accused of knowing about abuse and doing nothing, not abusing. So he's JoePa, not Sandusky.

Which only means that he's destined for a slightly less awful pit of hell.

U.S./Russia relations aren't strained ?

Right?! This is completely normal and the right thing to do.

You would be praising Obama if he sent Dems over to Russia on July 4th when almost his entire administration has special interests and was under investigation regarding Russia.

Don’t worry, we know you’d be fair and understanding.

Crimea is one of the main reasons to not to go over and meet with Russia.

And the whole meddling in our 2016 election, hacking our infrastructure, and continued threats against future elections.

This one may not be worth all the outrage yet. Out of thousands of immigrants in this program, we're talking about 40 who had issues with their background checks, or the checks were incomplete.

There's no indication this is some new policy or something. (Even though it sounds completely believable, based on what this administration has already done.)

:wave: Hey,mama c, rooting for France since Switzerland is out.

thanks Dazzled!! i was up in town with my daughter on Saturday and we caught the second half in her local bar - lots of shouting, singing and hugging going on haha

shit, just realised i will be missing the match this afternoon - oh well i will keep track on my phone haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom