US Politics VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

:lol:

It's kind of funny, this concept of "coastal elites" given that Trump by definition would be one. Except nobody there seems to like him. The man has no friends and the rest of the elites of Manhattan probably find him incredibly gaudy and gauche. The worst of the nouveau riche type. I don't follow NY tabloids but I wonder how his kids fit into that scene, or at least, how they did before this debacle of a presidency. Did they at all manage to transcend the kitch of the Trump brand and integrate into that society or were they on the periphery like him?

[emoji38]

It's kind of funny, this concept of "coastal elites" given that Trump by definition would be one. Except nobody there seems to like him. The man has no friends and the rest of the elites of Manhattan probably find him incredibly gaudy and gauche. The worst of the nouveau riche type. I don't follow NY tabloids but I wonder how his kids fit into that scene, or at least, how they did before this debacle of a presidency. Did they at all manage to transcend the kitch of the Trump brand and integrate into that society or were they on the periphery like him?
So here's the thing... Trump was definitely part of that scene. More the celebrity side of things vs the old money New York, but he wasn't this pariah.

His kids, especially Jarvanka, we're absolutely in the elite trust fund baby scene. Now? Ehhh not so much.

So here's the thing... Trump was definitely part of that scene. More the celebrity side of things vs the old money New York, but he wasn't this pariah.

His kids, especially Jarvanka, we're absolutely in the elite trust fund baby scene. Now? Ehhh not so much.

Yeah, I figured he'd have been more into the celebrity scene, because he is a fame whore and loves attention and the truly wealthy avoid it. I have no doubt he'd appear at every party that was well staffed with photographers from the rags.

I remember reading an article about how Barron didn't go to one of the top elite schools, though still something wildly expensive/exclusive and there was debate over whether it was because he had some learning disabilities that required the particular school or the fact that Trump just didn't have the sway to get him into the elite tier.

yep, i have family who moved in "high society" in NY back in the day, and the Trumps were definitely part of those circles, well the moneyed circles anyway - i have a few scant titbits but nothing i can say on a public forum anyway :lol:

It’s one article.

And articles these days aren't about presenting anything factual, it's only about sensational headlines so they get their "clicks".

Let's not pretend this isn't a frequent way in which these things are framed. The effort to "both sides" everything means making the far left seem as unreasonable as the far right while also making the positions of the Republicans out to be perfectly reasonable sides of the debate, even when it bleeds into the far right political positions as frequently as it does.

This is how the center continues to move to the right, year after year.

Words I never want to fucking hear again:

snowflake
elite
trump (even in its original, non-name form)

Let's not pretend this isn't a frequent way in which these things are framed. The effort to "both sides" everything means making the far left seem as unreasonable as the far right while also making the positions of the Republicans out to be perfectly reasonable sides of the debate, even when it bleeds into the far right political positions as frequently as it does.

This is how the center continues to move to the right, year after year.

I agree with the “both sides” point — and I’ve been saying this for years.

But your framing earlier might just as well have read “fake news!”

We are all so much worse off for having to suffer through this time with this imbecile of a man. I keep saying it, it demeans us all. I want that whole damn family gone, never to be heard from again.

Pressure mounts as Germany's Merkel fine-tunes immigration compromise

stricter border controls, transit camps and discretionary identification checks soon to be imposed on the nation's southern border, the future of the freedom of movement, a core European principle, may now be at stake in the heart of the Schengen zone, a 26-nation area where border controls have been abolished.

Merkel agreed that migrants no longer will be able to enter Germany from Austria without any checks, that they will be processed in "transit centers" at the border and that an agreement would be made with Austria in the event that migrants ineligible for asylum are not accepted back by the European Union countries where they first arrived.

Other countries are also struggling with legal and illegal immigration issues. Border camps run by the German government. Hmmmm.

A little perspective beyond the name-calling and labeling going on in the U.S. immigration debate.

yeah and refugees are not being criminalized in Europe either

the transit centres will be for processing and sorting papers, not prisons lol

I think it’s time for some of us who consider ourselves center-right or classical liberal or even Reagan Republicans need to stop hating liberals long enough to take an honest assessment of what is actually going on. Because what is happening isn’t conservative or Republican or classical liberal, it’s white nationalist nativism. I get that liberals are annoying, I get that identity politics are annoying, I get that Hillary didn’t campaign in Wisconsin so Trump is her fault alone. But I don’t get the excuse making for what is blindingly obvious and admitted to by the AG — the administration is torturing children to deter their parents from seeking asylum in the US, and they are fabricating some kind of crime wave to give cover to racists.

The left has to rally. If we continue to have who’s the most “woke” pissing contests, then our democracy is done.

We are inching closer and closer to authoritarian style government much like Russia. The 1% rules things as they are now, but we the people do have some power left.

If we don’t organize, and that’s including the centrists, the Reagan GOP, and third party voters, then Trump becomes king.

2017 it was “good people on both sides”

2018 it’s government kidnapping children and putting them in giant camps

And 2018 is barely half over.

They are normalizing the worst of this country. If we don’t vote in mass, what will be next ?

I saw a thing on the Decades channel yesterday talking about how, on July 3rd, 1986, there was a celebration honoring the fact it'd been 100 years since France gave us the Statue of Liberty.

They showed clips from the celebration, and Reagan gave a speech honoring the Statue as well as stating what it represents for America in terms of people coming here for second chances and a new way of life. It was a very professional, thoughtful, stirring speech-and this is coming from somebody who, from what I know about the Reagan administration, would not have supported it had I been old enough back then. Does anyone honestly believe Trump could ever give a speech of that sort? And one that doesn't somehow tie back to him bragging about how awesome he apparently is at that?

The Republican Party of today would seriously not recognize the Republican Party of 30 years ago, let alone any earlier than that.

what we actually need is to put these fascists against a wall and deal with them like we did 70 years ago [emoji16]

Trump's administration and family, and his cult following should all be taken to some remote location. The location should have a wall surrounding it so they can't escape into normal society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom