US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58d96a8ce4b04f2f079271d1/amp

I hope this link works.

It explains how Bill Clinton’s anti-immigration laws laid the groundwork for Trump’s EOs. The article is from last year, though.
The Democrats have had consistent problems over the last few decades with knowing what to do about immigration. They are seemingly always terrified of being accused of being soft on crime by the Republicans. You saw this both with Clinton's immigration policy and his crime bills.

This is why I always say it's not enough to get someone with a "D" next to their name in office. When you get a Democrat who votes with Republicans half the time, helps torpedo any actual change, and supports centrist-at-best policies on the whole, it appears to the average voter that the left has nothing to offer because their policies when they are in power do nothing.

Litmus tests are good and important.

The Democrats have had consistent problems over the last few decades with knowing what to do about immigration. They are seemingly always terrified of being accused of being soft on crime by the Republicans. You saw this both with Clinton's immigration policy and his crime bills.

This is why I always say it's not enough to get someone with a "D" next to their name in office. When you get a Democrat who votes with Republicans half the time, helps torpedo any actual change, and supports centrist-at-best policies on the whole, it appears to the average voter that the left has nothing to offer because their policies when they are in power do nothing.

Litmus tests are good and important.

Your statement here represents all that is wrong with current American politics. To suggest that Dems and Repubs should not often vote together is to suggest that the divisive politics we have today based on ideological purity is the way to go.

Ds and Rs should actually be voting together on the core, important stuff more often than not. It's called compromise and like it or not that is how change happens - sometimes incrementally and sometimes more dramatically, as with gay marriage for example.

As for immigration, as long as we have radical mayors like Jenny Durkan in Seattle and Mark Farrell in SF who defend sanctuary cities, then yes the Dems are going to be in trouble on the national stage, because those radical and unhelpful policies give them a very, very bad name amongst rational, independent voters (not just far right nut jobs).

Holy F...

The Trump administration plans to announce its withdrawal from the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday, making good on a pledge to leave a body it has long accused of hypocrisy and criticized as biased against Israel, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley plan to announce the withdrawal at the State Department in Washington at 5 p.m., the people said. They asked not to be identified discussing a decision that hadn’t yet been made public.

The 47-member council, based in Geneva and created in 2006, began its latest session on Monday with a broadside against President Donald Trump’s immigration policy by the UN’s high commissioner for human rights. He called the policy of separating children from parents crossing the southern border illegally “unconscionable.”

The U.S. withdrawal had been expected. National Security Adviser John Bolton opposed the body’s creation when he was U.S. ambassador to the UN in 2006. In a speech to the council last year, Haley called out the body for what she said was its “relentless, pathological campaign” against Israel. She has also called for ways to expel members of the council that have poor human rights records themselves.

Won’t ‘Sit Quietly’
“For our part, the United States will not sit quietly while this body, supposedly dedicated to human rights, continues to damage the cause of human rights,” Haley said at the time. “In the end, no speech and no structural reforms will save the members of the Human Rights Council from themselves.”

A State Department spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, while the UN said it hadn’t received a notification that the U.S. was withdrawing.

The move comes as the Trump administration is under intense criticism from business groups, human rights organizations and lawmakers from both parties over its recently imposed decision to separate children from parents who enter the U.S. illegally.

The Trump administration plans to announce its withdrawal from the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday, making good on a pledge to leave a body it has long accused of hypocrisy and criticized as biased against Israel, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley plan to announce the withdrawal at the State Department in Washington at 5 p.m., the people said. They asked not to be identified discussing a decision that hadn’t yet been made public.

The 47-member council, based in Geneva and created in 2006, began its latest session on Monday with a broadside against President Donald Trump’s immigration policy by the UN’s high commissioner for human rights. He called the policy of separating children from parents crossing the southern border illegally “unconscionable.”

The U.S. withdrawal had been expected. National Security Adviser John Bolton opposed the body’s creation when he was U.S. ambassador to the UN in 2006. In a speech to the council last year, Haley called out the body for what she said was its “relentless, pathological campaign” against Israel. She has also called for ways to expel members of the council that have poor human rights records themselves.

Won’t ‘Sit Quietly’
“For our part, the United States will not sit quietly while this body, supposedly dedicated to human rights, continues to damage the cause of human rights,” Haley said at the time. “In the end, no speech and no structural reforms will save the members of the Human Rights Council from themselves.”

A State Department spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, while the UN said it hadn’t received a notification that the U.S. was withdrawing.

The move comes as the Trump administration is under intense criticism from business groups, human rights organizations and lawmakers from both parties over its recently imposed decision to separate children from parents who enter the U.S. illegally.

Even some critics of the human rights council have called for continuing to push for a revamping of the body rather than quitting it.

On the opening day of the council’s current session, British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson criticized the body’s perennial agenda item dedicated to Israel and the Palestinian territories, calling it “damaging to the cause of peace.” Nonetheless, he said the U.K. wasn’t “blind to the value of this council.”

The council is scheduled to discuss Israel and the Palestinian territories on July 2, according to its agenda.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social

Love the timing!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Holy F...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social

Love the timing!
Yes I saw this too. Slowly they are isolating themselves. Just like withdrawing from the Paris accord etc etc. It’s crazy! Everything that is right and ethical, the trump administration withdraws from. But who needs the environment and humanitarian efforts anyways? Totally over rated lol

According to Laura I on Fox these places where they are separating kids are like summer camp and boarding school. So I don't know what anyone's getting so upset about.

Your statement here represents all that is wrong with current American politics. To suggest that Dems and Repubs should not often vote together is to suggest that the divisive politics we have today based on ideological purity is the way to go.

Ds and Rs should actually be voting together on the core, important stuff more often than not. It's called compromise and like it or not that is how change happens - sometimes incrementally and sometimes more dramatically, as with gay marriage for example.

As for immigration, as long as we have radical mayors like Jenny Durkan in Seattle and Mark Farrell in SF who defend sanctuary cities, then yes the Dems are going to be in trouble on the national stage, because those radical and unhelpful policies give them a very, very bad name amongst rational, independent voters (not just far right nut jobs).

That's fucking bullshit. The Republicans are wrong on every single policy position they have, and are by and large electing evil people at nearly every level of government. The center has moved much too far to the right.

A true left wing party and a Democratic Party (as currently constructed) that constitutes the right wing is the only moral way to move forward. The GOP is evil and has nothing to offer. Compromising with them in 2018 is compromising your morals. They are immoral, period.

This isn't radical to say. The US is the most right wing developed nation. It's insane what we have convinced ourselves is normal.

Admit it, DaveC and anitram - you guys TOTALLY do this.

[TWEET]1009115794658287623[/TWEET]

Curse you shifty Canadians!!!!!!

According to Laura I on Fox these places where they are separating kids are like summer camp and boarding school. So I don't know what anyone's getting so upset about.

Well, what can we expect from a woman who thinks it's acceptable to mock school shooting victims?

The whole thing with the Human Rights Council, too. Just...my god. There's got to be a light at the end of this dark, dark tunnel coming at some point soon. Right? Please tell me something big and good is coming that can end this nightmare once and for all?

Well, well...

Hundreds of members at Session's church write formal complaint over immigration policy.

I think this is pretty big, for a church to speak out like this, aside from the Catholic Church.

Good on them :up:. We need more people to do this. From BOTH parties.

He’s such an imbecile. And doesn’t know what a tariff is.

Yes I saw this too. Slowly they are isolating themselves. Just like withdrawing from the Paris accord etc etc. It’s crazy! Everything that is right and ethical, the trump administration withdraws from. But who needs the environment and humanitarian efforts anyways? Totally over rated lol

I'm surprised we haven't been kicked off the council already. Maybe this is like resigning before getting fired?

The timing is quite suspicious.

Not to mention, Russia was kicked off the Human Rights Council in 2016.

Aw, the Council was mean to Trump's role model :shame:

So he's saying that Canadians forego shopping at home to go spend money at American retailers. Canadians buy Asian-made goods and then artificially age them in order to avoid paying duties to the Canadian customs.

That's exactly what some Canadians do. But it's a net benefit to the American economy and represents a loss for Canada.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, sanctuary cities are good. Open borders should be the goal.

Phils, let's say Open Borders the way you see it becomes politically feasible.

What are the two biggest issues in the transition to open borders, and how are they fixed?

Admit it, DaveC and anitram - you guys TOTALLY do this.

[TWEET]1009115794658287623[/TWEET]

Curse you shifty Canadians!!!!!!

we do that about as often as australians drink foster's and throw prawns on the barbie. :wink:

for real though when the exchange rate was good about 4 or 5 years ago i did the drive from halifax to boston or NY every few months to go clothes shopping. when the dollar was near par it was less expensive even including gas to do a shopping trip in boston because dollar for dollar nearly everything is cheaper down there than in canada, and the selection was usually much better too. as long as the total value of goods purchased were under $600 or something there weren't any duties to pay regardless. and i admit i may have pulled the tags off some new purchases and made them look like worn laundry once or twice to make sure i was under that limit :shifty:

now that CAD is only something like $0.73USD it's not worth it (and i don't have a car anymore anyways).

Last edited:
So he's saying that Canadians forego shopping at home to go spend money at American retailers. Canadians buy Asian-made goods and then artificially age them in order to avoid paying duties to the Canadian customs.

That's exactly what some Canadians do. But it's a net benefit to the American economy and represents a loss for Canada.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I honestly don't know anybody who bothers "scuffing up" shoes. I've gone over when the dollar was at par, bought a new pair, tossed the ones I was wearing and that was it. Like seriously the customs guy who sees you through your rolled down window isn't checking soles on shoes.

And like you said, that's actually good for the US, that we're allegedly smuggling shoes over.

The timing is quite suspicious.

Not to mention, Russia was kicked off the Human Rights Council in 2016.

Aw, the Council was mean to Trump's role model :shame:

Could very well be, but they have been talking about leaving since atleast last year, maybe as someone mentioned, they had a hunch they would be thrown out and they quit before getting fired.

That's fucking bullshit. The Republicans are wrong on every single policy position they have, and are by and large electing evil people at nearly every level of government. The center has moved much too far to the right.

A true left wing party and a Democratic Party (as currently constructed) that constitutes the right wing is the only moral way to move forward. The GOP is evil and has nothing to offer. Compromising with them in 2018 is compromising your morals. They are immoral, period.

This isn't radical to say. The US is the most right wing developed nation. It's insane what we have convinced ourselves is normal.

Also, sanctuary cities are good. Open borders should be the goal.

:up:

over the last while i've really found myself agreeing with you more and more (sorry for being a dick sometimes in the past). i haven't seen any right-wing government creating anything positive anywhere recently, only destroying things. i'd love to be proven wrong if someone can show me a post-9/11 example of a conservative or right-wing government creating something genuinely beneficial for their people.

:up:

over the last while i've really found myself agreeing with you more and more (sorry for being a dick sometimes in the past). i haven't seen any right-wing government creating anything positive anywhere recently, only destroying things. i'd love to be proven wrong if someone can show me a post-9/11 example of a conservative or right-wing government creating something genuinely beneficial for their people.

Especially now.

The Republicans have hitched their wagons to Trump, they're all in. You cannot negotiate with these people. They are God Emperor over country, full of hate and without any semblance of rationality or fact.

I've said it all along - much better to focus on the millions who don't typically vote and bring them into the fold than waste time on deplorables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom