US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://readbloomjoy.com/2018/06/17...-shelter-quits-children-arent-allowed-to-hug/

Employee At ‘Prison-Like’ Youth Migrant Shelter Quits After Being Told The Children Aren’t Allowed To Hug

Recent accounts of migrant detention centers have been shocking and settling — none more so than the descriptions of the shelters specifically designed for immigrant children who have been separated from their parents at the border.

Reporter Jacob Soboroff recently toured one of these migrant youth shelters, and what he saw was deeply disturbing and highly reminiscent of an authoritarian regime.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-14-at-8.49.20-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2018-06-14-at-8.55.26-AM-1112x735.png

Screen-Shot-2018-06-14-at-8.50.19-AM.png

Soboroff isn’t the only one who is alarmed by these conditions. Apparently, even shelter workers themselves are reaching a breaking point.

Antar Davidson, a former employee at a youth shelter run by nonprofit Southwest Key in Arizona, recently resigned from his position when he was told to separate three Brazilian siblings who had been transferred to the shelter. The three kids, aged 16, 10 and 6, were huddled together and crying. Davidson was given very specific instructions by his superiors: “Tell them they can’t hug.”

Davidson, who speaks Portuguese, describes to the Los Angeles Times how he tried to comfort the siblings as they were “huddled together, tears streaming down their faces.” Apparently, they had been told their parents were “lost,” which they interpreted to mean “dead.”

Davidson told them that officials weren’t sure where their parents were, but that they needed to stay strong.

“The 16-year-old, he looks at me and says, ‘How?'”

At that point, Davidson says he thought to himself, “This is not healthy.”

These centers have been under considerable pressure, thanks to Trump’s “zero-tolerance policy,” which has resulted in an influx of children. According to the LA Times:

"Under the zero-tolerance policy, cases that had been handled administratively in immigration court were now prosecuted as misdemeanors or felonies in federal court. Migrants were charged with crossing the border illegally and separated from their children, who were placed in shelters."

“What was once a transient facility with a staff that was strained and struggling is now becoming a more permanent facility,” Davidson says, describing the establishment as “prison-like.”

The shelters were evidently not prepared to deal with this many new kids, and as a result, conditions were becoming increasingly questionable.

“[Kids] had no idea where their parents were. The case managers said it’s going to be a week until we even find their parents and another week until we talk to them. I just saw how they were bungling these cases,” Davidson says. “At that point, zero tolerance was in full swing and you could see the desperation: kids running down the hall, screaming for their moms.”

[tweet]1007667816370040832[/tweet]

Davidson knew that, even with aggressive hiring initiatives, the shelter wouldn’t be able to obtain enough workers to offer proper assistance to the kids.

Even though he knows that the shelters are attempting to do good and that their existence is necessary, Davidson tendered his resignation from the facility as a “conscientious objector.”

“I can no longer in good conscience work with Southwest Key programs,” he wrote in his resignation. “I am feeling uneasy about the morality of some of the practices.”

H/T Los Angeles Times

this is beyond unconscionable. there's no defending this in a society that claims to be "free". the animals who are doing this to children deserve nothing less than to be put up against a wall.

Dear god. Those murals alone are terrifying. How very dictator-esque.

Please somebody tell me there is some big revelation or criminal charge or whatever coming that can officially get Trump out of the White House as soon as humanly possible. Please. He needs to be gone by the end of this year, at least. Shove him out of the White House and lock the doors to avoid letting him back in if you have to.

The GOP should be ashamed of themselves for letting things get to this hellish point. Utterly ashamed.

It is absolutely, 100 percent appropriate to compare what this administration is doing with these children to what was being done by Nazi Germany. And I've seen an absurd defense to this line of thinking which amounts to, "We're not killing these children."

1) Way to set the bar high.

2) Yet.

You should really talk to someone about your anti-Christian bigotry. The fact that you try to blame "God fearing Christians" for these tragic and sad events (which have been going on for many years by the way) says more about you than it does about Christians.

We should ALL try to be part of the solution. It's funny though when anti-God people always expect Christians to do something. if it wasn't for Christians, there wouldn't be as many homeless shelters, orphanages, food pantries, and food banks as there is.

Maybe the athiests should step up and do something. The arrogance and hypocrisy is disgusting on your part.

This is you. You are this person.

[TWEET]1008726102850797568[/TWEET]

There were definitely people saying the two parties were "basically the same" in the lead-up to the election. I understand that thinking to an extent. But now that we're in Trumpworld? LOL, yeah they're not the same.

That quote on the mural? It's from Art of the Deal. Because of course it is.

There were definitely people saying the two parties were "basically the same" in the lead-up to the election. I understand that thinking to an extent. But now that we're in Trumpworld? LOL, yeah they're not the same.

yes and there are still a lot of folks who do not distinguish between the 2 main parties. In particular from the angry left wing anti-corporatist elements. which is why you have these fringe left and right wing nut job scrums.

at the end of the day the Dems better find a way to get a clear and compelling message out there. and someone with the cojones to take the battle where it needs to be won. maybe your former CEO?

i am so glad that the people who were so concerned about the welfare of children that they were brandishing assault rifles in pizza parlours last year are being equally vocal in their concern and support of these abused kids as well.

People who were trying to make the point that Clinton had far too right wing policies on some economic matters and foreign policy matters for their tastes got lazy and said stupid shit like "Clinton and Trump are the same." It was an asinine thing to say, though I think few if any of the people who said it actually meant it. I think it was more of a Twitter meme that got out of control sort of thing. Doesn't excuse it, but I think it's overblown how much impact it had. It's like people blaming Jill Stein or Susan Sarandon, as if there's an imagined group of millions of voters who sat out because the lady from the movies said she didn't like Hillary.

The people who sat out the election did so because they felt like Clinton didn't offer them anything. After all, Clinton's statement was "America is already great." For those who it wasn't great for, I have to imagine that wasn't what they wanted to hear.

Poll taken shows 60% of Republicans approve of the child separation

So now can we call them Deplorables ?

Poll taken shows 60% of Republicans approve of the child separation

So now can we call them Deplorables ?

I swear, I just don't recognize my country anymore - or at least one-half of it. I really do live in a liberal bubble here in NYC.

But as I said, I do have family who voted for Trump and grew up in an area that favors Trump a great deal. And all that I can come up with to explain this is that, these people simply do not want non-whites here in America.

I mean, there are illegal Irish, Russian and so on here. Are they being rounded up? Are their children being taken away from them? No, just brown people are targeted. :sigh:

I live in a state smack dab in middle America that went overwhelmingly for Trump in 2016. Nobody in my immediate family voted for him, but many of my relatives did.

And I'm as mystified as you are. I honestly thought my state was much smarter than that. Fortunately, support for Trump has been (slowly) decreasing here in recent times, from what I've heard, but still...

You're absolutely right that this is a blatantly racist thing. How much more proof do we need to show that racism was a huge part of why Trump got the support he did, if not THE main reason?

Essentially this means, “give us the wall and we’ll release the kids”.

Just despicable.
https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1008732754882826241?s=21

This whole thing is the fault of two actors. First, the Mexicans who refuse to pay for the wall like Trump promised. Second, the Democrats, who in a minority position without ability to govern are refusing to pay for the wall, thus being in traitorous cahoots with the Mexicans.

We still don't know where the toddlers and the girls are. That idiot woman Nielsen said she didn't know and would have to "look into it." Wonderful.

Essentially this means, “give us the wall and we’ll release the kids”.

Just despicable.
https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1008732754882826241?s=21

In Dutch we have an expression that translates (badly) to "Such as the host is will he trust his guests." (Sorry, don't know of an/the equivalent expression in English)
This is another example how Trump and his administration project their own behaviour on others. They speak of child-actors and criminals entering the US using children as human shields. Where it turns out Trump is the one who uses children as the bargaining chip for his pet projects.
:angry:

This whole thing is the fault of two actors. First, the Mexicans who refuse to pay for the wall like Trump promised. Second, the Democrats, who in a minority position without ability to govern are refusing to pay for the wall, thus being in traitorous cahoots with the Mexicans.

Germany did actually build a wall, you know. The Siegfried Line. It failed. Just like France's Maginot Line before it. And China's Great Wall was supposed to keep out the Mongols, who ended up ruling China a long time. But none of them ever got their enemies to pay for the wall, so that would be something

france definitely got germany to pay for the maginot line, they ended up having a bit of a squabble about it afterwards. the germans got their investment back with a nice return then promptly lost it all in a risky speculative venture in the east.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom