US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is... why doesn't the NFL take up a stance? Two huge programs in parallel, supporting the protest and simultaneously supporting veterans/police/whoever so that it cements the dumb argument that the two things were ever related in the first place.
They're trying to get around collective bargaining by issuing a policy that gives options in hopes that the NFLPA won't bitch too much.

They know full well that they have much bigger issues than this... they just would like it to go away.

I have no doubt that there are some people (I like to refer to them as assholes) who are so offended by somebody practicing their first amendment rights of protest (it's the one before the 2nd in case you were wondering) that they wouldn't watch football anymore, but alas... this being the reason that NFL ratings are down is, to quote your fearless leader, FAKE NEWS!!!

No, when at work they aren't practicing their 1st amendment rights. The 1st Amendment only protects our right to speak, write, worship, petition and assemble against government interference and punishment. Employers, private citizens...etc are not bound to the same standard as the government and businesses can most definitely can limit the speech of their employees while on the job. Hate to break it to you.

And if you truly believe that these protests have not affected viewership, then go for it. They most certainly have: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...agues-broadcasters-and-sponsors/#1093086449ab

From a business standpoint, NFL owners looked at their bottom line, viewership andunanimously came to this decision. Many of these same owners have been outspoken in their criticism of Trump. If this hasn't effected revenue and viewership and personally disagree with the President, when why pass such a rule?

No, when at work they aren't practicing their 1st amendment rights. The 1st Amendment only protects our right to speak, write, worship, petition and assemble against government interference and punishment. Employers, private citizens...etc are not bound to the same standard as the government and businesses can most definitely can limit the speech of their employees while on the job. Hate to break it to you.

And if you truly believe that these protests have not affected viewership, then go for it. They most certainly have: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...agues-broadcasters-and-sponsors/#1093086449ab

From a business standpoint, NFL owners looked at their bottom line, viewership andunanimously came to this decision. Many of these same owners have been outspoken in their criticism of Trump. If this hasn't effected revenue and viewership and personally disagree with the President, when why pass such a rule?
To get people like you to shut up about it?

I'm sure that viewership will skyrocket next year now that people can again watch large men turn their brains into mush without worrying about their political beliefs.

And I never said that there aren't plenty of dopes out there who are offended by this. But hey, if you want to believe an unscientific poll over, oh I don't know, years of market research and toss it all on a few players taking a knee? Sure have it Hoss.

This issue was an obvious distraction. The NFL moved to try and eliminate the distraction. If they, or you, think that this will solve their ratings problem, you're/they're nuts.

Knowing many people who work in the league office? Yea, they know this is just one of many reasons why ratings have been in a downward spiral since we'll before a single player took a knee.

It is different, in that this is a union shop and things like this would normally be collectively bargained and not dictated.

But thanks for playing.

The amount of assumptions you make is incredible. Not only have I been in a public union for years, but I've also been in the union leadership and negotiations committees so I probably have just a little background into labor law and how these things work. "Normally" be collectively bargained? No, not the actions of players are engaging in behaviors/activities at work that are having an immediate impact on viewership and revenue, the primary "product" of the NFL. But thanks for playing.

The amount of assumptions you make is incredible. Not only have I been in a public union for years, but I've also been in the union leadership and negotiations committees so I probably have just a little background into labor law and how these things work. "Normally" be collectively bargained? No, not the actions of players are engaging in behaviors/activities at work that are having an immediate impact on viewership and revenue, the primary "product" of the NFL. But thanks for playing.
I'm sure the NFLPA's response that they will challenge any aspect of this ruling that is inconsistent with the CBA because they're just dummies who don't know what they're talking about.

To get people like you to shut up about it?

I'm sure that viewership will skyrocket next year now that people can again watch large men turn their brains into mush without worrying about their political beliefs.

And I never said that there aren't plenty of dopes out there who are offended by this. But hey, if you want to believe an unscientific poll over, oh I don't know, years of market research and toss it all on a few players taking a knee? Sure have it Hoss.

Ha! I'm not the one who brought it up! Maybe if people like you would stop whining and bitching about it I wouldn't have commented. Personally I don't care about the protests, but simply commented due to the fact that the employers have every right to limit the speech of their employees, when people like yourself continue to push the false narrative that this is all about free speech.

If you want to make this about an unscientific poll, even an idiot can tell you that all you have to do is spend time on social media during the NFL season and see the arguments taking place to know this is affecting the NFL.

Last edited:
I'm sure the NFLPA's response that they will challenge any aspect of this ruling that is inconsistent with the CBA because they're just dummies who don't know what they're talking about.

They will because that's their job, and they'll probably lose. You brought up the NBA earlier. They also have rules that prohibit their players from kneeling during the anthem. I bet those owners are a bunch of racist neanderthals too. :up:

-concussions
-an increase in injuries to major stars
-major TV markets having shitty teams
-an inability to make a serious dent on the #2 TV market, even since putting teams there 2 years ago
-parity creating shitty play
-dilution of product by offering too many games outside of the traditional sunday window
-cord cutting
-kids aren't playing anymore
-more options than ever before
-more interest in fantasy and daily fantasy than actually rooting for a team
-RedZone
-illegal internet streaming of games to get around the DirecTV strangle hold
-players protesting the national anthem

Congrats. One thing is off the list. Can't wait to see those skyrocketing NFL ratings next year.

I’m curious. Do you not acknowledge that half of the owners are indeed “racist Neanderthals”? Because it’s pretty apparent that there’s a dichotomy of owners. Must I remind you that when news got word of the last mega-racist owner, he was forced out of the league.

Do you think Donald Sterling is the only one of his kind? Or did few come to his defense for the very same reason you’re making? Bad for business. Of course the owner’s decision over kneeling is business and business only. That doesn’t mean they as individuals don’t have a racist bit in their bones.

They will because that's their job, and they'll probably lose. You brought up the NBA earlier. They also have rules that prohibit their players from kneeling during the anthem. I bet those owners are a bunch of racist neanderthals too. :up:

we do!

the league office also reached out to the player's union and worked with them in advance to avoid an issue, and has an all around stellar record when it comes to allowing players to speak their minds - and was supportive of the Warriors and LeBron when they/he had run ins with POTUS and/or the right wing media.

how'd that white house NBA visit go this year?

it's pretty amazing how your team winning the championship makes you care so little about the offseason.

tenor.gif

Nothing matters anymore. The norms, the candor, and the checks and balances.

I think Trump burns this whole thing down. No clue what it looks like after he's done.

Mueller is probably another year away from finishing his investigation. The longer it goes, the more the public will disengage and not care.

I saw a poll that said 59% aren't even aware that there have been any charges in the investigation.

We have a congress that is complicit, and deathly afraid of losing their power.

What is stopping Russia from hacking the 2018 midterms? Nothing.

Guess I'm in a bad mood, but I'm tired of hearing about "checks and balances" when they are failing.

I wonder, were there people in this level of denial/inaction during the days of Watergate, too? Did some of the American public not care or show any awareness of what happened until it all finally came out? Or is this whole situation with Trump a new phenomenon in that regard? The Watergate investigation took a couple years, too, didn't it, before the public finally knew just what all went down?

I do share your despair, though. It's amazing how people aren't taking to the streets over this stuff, or aren't showing more investment in the situation. I think too many people expect some big dramatic moment, and they're ignoring all the smaller (yet no less significant) details that are piling up.

hi ml :wave:

Mix of despair, fear and determination, hope.

Maybe because I listen to Public Radio I get more hope, etc.

trump is in Long Island and maybe Manhattan later for a fund raiser.
I'm sure there will be protests.

With his demand that the justice dept investigate itself, some worry about the "Saturday Night Massacre" senario

Surprised he didn't put his demand on parchment paper and "say" - I hearby decree" :/

Last edited:
No, it's really not any different from any other workplace. And many professions have people who are public figures "always on the clock." It comes down to when you are contractually obligated to perform a task or service for your employer. In the case of the NFL, the owners have every right to limit the behavior of their employees while at work, especially when those behaviors are affecting the bottom line of the business.

So how does that equate to artists’ management in your head?

Does Live Nation have the right to limit their artists’ behavior?

I just bought five thousand Trump/Kim Summit coins too. God damn it trump

Viewership has slipped because less people are participating in football. There's less overall interest in the sport. Viewership has been dropping long before Colin Kaepernick ever took a knee. This is a 4 year trend.

NBA players are highly outspoken, much moreso than NFL players, and viewership is up 17% year over year.

NASCAR ratings, btw? Down. As are college football ratings. As are, ya know, TV ratings as a whole.

I have no doubt that there are some people (I like to refer to them as assholes) who are so offended by somebody practicing their first amendment rights of protest (it's the one before the 2nd in case you were wondering) that they wouldn't watch football anymore, but alas... this being the reason that NFL ratings are down is, to quote your fearless leader, FAKE NEWS!!!
This, but also I think fantasy football has, to a large degree, contributed to the declining ratings.

Players are just commodities now, so who needs to watch anymore? All you need to do is check the stats Monday morning, read the injury reports, analyze the expert's opinions, and set your weekly lineup. Rinse and repeat.

This, but also I think fantasy football has, to a large degree, contributed to the declining ratings.

Players are just commodities now, so who needs to watch anymore? All you need to do is check the stats Monday morning, read the injury reports, analyze the expert's opinions, and set your weekly lineup. Rinse and repeat.
Indeed...
-concussions
-an increase in injuries to major stars
-major TV markets having shitty teams
-an inability to make a serious dent on the #2 TV market, even since putting teams there 2 years ago
-parity creating shitty play
-dilution of product by offering too many games outside of the traditional sunday window
-cord cutting
-kids aren't playing anymore
-more options than ever before
-more interest in fantasy and daily fantasy than actually rooting for a team
-RedZone
-illegal internet streaming of games to get around the DirecTV strangle hold
-players protesting the national anthem

Congrats. One thing is off the list. Can't wait to see those skyrocketing NFL ratings next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom