US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pycv1ri2i4y01.jpg

Amazing how honest these guys are when there's nothing on the line.

Real brave there, Rex. :down:

Not that I have a particularly good opinion of Rex Tillerson, but I will say that I’m not sure what you want him to say or do as Secretary of State. He was pretty much the single most opposing cabinet member during his entire tenure, and he got fired for it.

Can’t imagine being any more honest than he was while something was on the line would’ve served him (or us) very well.

Not that I have a particularly good opinion of Rex Tillerson, but I will say that I’m not sure what you want him to say or do as Secretary of State. He was pretty much the single most opposing cabinet member during his entire tenure, and he got fired for it.

Can’t imagine being any more honest than he was while something was on the line would’ve served him (or us) very well.

I’d expect him to resign when it became obvious (like day 2) who he was dealing with.

I’d expect him to resign when it became obvious (like day 2) who he was dealing with.

you have a point. Maybe he thought he could nudge trump somewhat.

OTOH he was ExxonMobile CEO?
I wouldn't have too much respect for him.

Breaking News-
Manafort's former son-in-law taking a plea-deal with DOJ.
Wonder where, or what that will lead to info-wise.

And then what? Get to someone worse at a quicker path?

I’m not saying it’s noble to serve that administration if you’re making deals with the devil. But I don’t see how him resigning earlier would benefit anyone at all.

The reason most of us find ourselves defending the likes of John McCain or Mitt Romney is not because they espouse our views, but because they represent sanity and intellect. The same goes in this case. Imagine if no Trump cabinet member questioned his authority... well, soon enough you won’t have to imagine.

On public radio yesterday someone ( I think a political scientist, hmm, more likely a reporter who follows politics and law closely) felt that Ghouliani now saying wanting "dirt" on Hillary and looking for it, receiving offers was "no big deal".

Except that it IS, when getting it from a hostile foreign government (ie: Russia).
He feels that Team trump knows Mueller has serious "goods" on him, so is trying change the crossing the line narrative.

He also mentioned that "collusion" is not the real technical term for Trump & son, team may have done.

Wow. Maybe THIS will give him a lot of trouble? Pretty sure what he is doing is illegal as the DOJ does not work for the president,

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
3h
I hereby demand, and will do so officially tomorrow, that the Department of Justice look into whether or not the FBI/DOJ infiltrated or surveilled the Trump Campaign for Political Purposes - and if any such demands or requests were made by people within the Obama Administration!

Well, dabu2f, since the Obama administration was concerned with Russian meddling in our election - and trump was known to have business in Russia...
I don't see how much of that so called "spying" was (if at all ) illegal.

He could bring told by his people to say this to muddy the waters more, fire up his base more etc

And now people around that effing poli dirty trickster Roger Stone are being questioned. RS says Team Mueller won't find anything thing.

:hmm: we'll see....

Last edited:
Nothing matters anymore. The norms, the candor, and the checks and balances.

I think Trump burns this whole thing down. No clue what it looks like after he's done.

Mueller is probably another year away from finishing his investigation. The longer it goes, the more the public will disengage and not care.

I saw a poll that said 59% aren't even aware that there have been any charges in the investigation.

We have a congress that is complicit, and deathly afraid of losing their power.

What is stopping Russia from hacking the 2018 midterms? Nothing.

Guess I'm in a bad mood, but I'm tired of hearing about "checks and balances" when they are failing.

It’s not the owners “giving in.” A lot of the owners *agree* or never sided with the players in the first place. It probably took very few owners changing side to have this happen.

Hopefully they get mass protest from the NFLPA to a point where a strike occurs. Self destructive move one way or another for the NFL.

On a slightly different note, I am pissed that the NFL owners have given in to Trump's bullshit.

I won't be watching or buying any NFL products this year, not that anyone will notice or care.

The owners decided to not allow their employees to protest at work and on the clock. Regardless of how the owners actually felt about the protest, viewership has slipped over the last few years and the protests have obviously alienated some viewers and detracted from the game. This was a unanimous business decision by owners, not caving to Trump. It was pretty clear how most owners felt about Trump's criticisms last fall.

The owners decided to not allow their employees to protest at work and on the clock. Regardless of how the owners actually felt about the protest, viewership has slipped over the last few years and the protests have obviously alienated some viewers and detracted from the game. This was a unanimous business decision by owners, not caving to Trump. It was pretty clear how most owners felt about Trump's criticisms last fall.

It’s still caving to Trump, though. He incited the base.

Anyways, I don’t agree with your comparison of a common workplace. The NFL - any professional sport - is not a common workplace. You can’t just hand-wave and say “not allowing employees to protest on the clock.” They’re public figures. They’re always on the clock. And despite just how much money they get paid, they’re used in a sense to make a lot more money than they make for other people. I think it’s entirely fair from a player perspective to want *their league* to espouse *their views.*

Viewership has slipped because less people are participating in football. There's less overall interest in the sport. Viewership has been dropping long before Colin Kaepernick ever took a knee. This is a 4 year trend.

NBA players are highly outspoken, much moreso than NFL players, and viewership is up 17% year over year.

NASCAR ratings, btw? Down. As are college football ratings. As are, ya know, TV ratings as a whole.

I have no doubt that there are some people (I like to refer to them as assholes) who are so offended by somebody practicing their first amendment rights of protest (it's the one before the 2nd in case you were wondering) that they wouldn't watch football anymore, but alas... this being the reason that NFL ratings are down is, to quote your fearless leader, FAKE NEWS!!!

It’s still caving to Trump, though. He incited the base.

Anyways, I don’t agree with your comparison of a common workplace. The NFL - any professional sport - is not a common workplace. You can’t just hand-wave and say “not allowing employees to protest on the clock.” They’re public figures. They’re always on the clock. And despite just how much money they get paid, they’re used in a sense to make a lot more money than they make for other people. I think it’s entirely fair from a player perspective to want *their league* to espouse *their views.*

No, it's really not any different from any other workplace. And many professions have people who are public figures "always on the clock." It comes down to when you are contractually obligated to perform a task or service for your employer. In the case of the NFL, the owners have every right to limit the behavior of their employees while at work, especially when those behaviors are affecting the bottom line of the business.

Viewership has slipped because less people are participating in football. There's less overall interest in the sport. Viewership has been dropping long before Colin Kaepernick ever took a knee. This is a 4 year trend.

NBA players are highly outspoken, much moreso than NFL players, and viewership is up 17% year over year.

NASCAR ratings, btw? Down. As are college football ratings. As are, ya know, TV ratings as a whole.

I have no doubt that there are some people (I like to refer to them as assholes) who are so offended by somebody practicing their first amendment rights of protest (it's the one before the 2nd in case you were wondering) that they wouldn't watch football anymore, but alas... this being the reason that NFL ratings are down is, to quote your fearless leader, FAKE NEWS!!!

Sad!

No, it's really not any different from any other workplace. And many professions have people who are public figures "always on the clock." It comes down to when you are contractually obligated to perform a task or service for your employer. In the case of the NFL, the owners have every right to limit the behavior of their employees while at work, especially when those behaviors are affecting the bottom line of the business.

Ya ok, being an nfl player is basically the same thing as being Michael Scott in The Office. You’re right.

It is different, in that this is a union shop and things like this would normally be collectively bargained and not dictated.

But thanks for playing.

Lolz lolz lolz

President Trump’s practice of blocking Twitter users who are critical of him from seeing his posts on the social media platform violates the First Amendment, a federal judge in Manhattan ruled on Wednesday.

The ruling came in a case brought by seven Twitter users who had been blocked by the @realDonaldTrump account after they criticized the president.

I mean, on the one hand, the new rules say players can choose not to be on the field for the anthem, so .... okay.

On the other hand, this is pretty lame.

What I don't understand is... why doesn't the NFL take up a stance? Two huge programs in parallel, supporting the protest and simultaneously supporting veterans/police/whoever so that it cements the dumb argument that the two things were ever related in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom