US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha.

Donald Trump treats the world as his personal toilet to shit all over but let’s put that aside and go high. That’s how elections will be won, by singing kumbaya preferably with white supremacists for extra bonus points.

Last edited:
I :heart: Michelle Obama. Best First Lady of my lifetime. I'm with her.

59035408.png

It's my motto too, Michelle. It's my motto too.

All this stupid passive-aggressive sniping going on back-and-forth every time some new topic comes up is exhausting.

I :heart: Michelle Obama. Best First Lady of my lifetime. I'm with her.

59035408.png

It's my motto too, Michelle. It's my motto too.

Based on your posting style and attitude seems like a work in progress.

So if there's an end to the Korean War and denuclearisation of the peninsula does that mean Trump is a slam dunk for the Nobel? And if so, will they let him out of Leavenworth to fly to Oslo to accept? Should Trump consult both North Korea and slam-dunk expert Dennis Rodman prior to negotiations? Should giving Rodman to North Korea be part of the deal?

Last edited:
Speaking of attention starved narcissists who need to give it a rest, I’m done apologizing for Kanye.

Love a lot of your music, bro, but it’s all I can do not to remove it from my library.

It’s a choice.

Last edited:
same. i *kinda* get what he was trying to say (he tried to clarify on twitter last evening that he was talking about continued mental slavery, which is a theme many artists have explored) but he should have thought about what he was about to say for half a second before opening his mouth and just blurting it out, and coming across like a total jackass. he seems so detached from the realities of everyday life at this point and the idea that he can't say or do literally anything without consequence. the confused look on his face at the end of the TMZ video when the other guy is laying into him says a lot.

but as i said in the music thread, i'm still going to listen to his new album day one because it's a new kanye album. let's be real, if bono was saying this kind of crazy shit a month before the release of a new U2 album or a tour we'd be upset and confused but none of us would choose not to listen to the album or rip up our tickets.

Last edited:
Kanye has a right to speak his mind, and if it means he challenges orthodoxy and causes people to check their assumptions, all the better. People don’t need to agree with him, and he doesn’t have to be right.

I find the whole thing refreshing.

Kanye has a right to speak his mind, and if it means he challenges orthodoxy and causes people to check their assumptions, all the better. People don’t need to agree with him, and he doesn’t have to be right.

I find the whole thing refreshing.

He isn't challenging orthodoxy at all, every point he's made is straight outta white conservatism

He isn't challenging orthodoxy at all, every point he's made is straight outta white conservatism

It’s challenging the orthodoxy of the kind of things an artist in his position is expected to say.

It takes courage to express opinions that run contrary to your own peer group. It would be like a country music artist with a conservative following speaking out in favour of gay marriage and Planned Parenthood.

The Dixie Chicks went through hell for doing something similar, and I admired that as well.

but as i said in the music thread, i'm still going to listen to his new album day one because it's a new kanye album. let's be real, if bono was saying this kind of crazy shit a month before the release of a new U2 album or a tour we'd be upset and confused but none of us would choose not to listen to the album or rip up our tickets.

Ehhhhhh... there is a line for everyone. If Bono was, for example, caught on tape just spewing all this racist, vile crap... or was revealed to be a Harvey Weinstein type creep, then yea it would absolutely have a negative effect on how all but the biggest sycophants and honest brokers.

I suppose referring to slavery as a choice is challenging a certain kind of orthodoxy.

Mel Gibson’s father (who never told him a lie), David Duke, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Bobby Fischer, and others, certainly challenge commonly accepted orthodoxies.

Sounds like Nick admires their courage as well.

Calling slavery a choice isn’t challenging orthodoxy, it’s spewing ignorant nonsense that bolsters the hateful rhetoric of racists and white supremacists.

No to be devil’s advocate (might quite literally be so), but relating Kanye West to David Duke, Ahmadinejad etc. and then claiming Nick is a fan is kinda doing what Nick does.

Though of course there’s the sarcasm side of things.

But still.

There is always that person we all know who seems to revel in being contrarian simply for the sake of being contrarian regardless of whether they would admit it or not.

People don’t need to agree with him, and he doesn’t have to be right. I find the whole thing refreshing.

It's one thing to be right and people not liking the truth, but wtf is so refreshing about something that's wrong and people not liking it? There's only one type of person that finds that refreshing.

We should thank Kanye for giving rise to the hilarious #ifslaverywasachoice memes on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom