US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
f7hpys4ajiu01.jpg

:hmm:
Psssssst... it's cause they're racists.

I was shocked, saddened and deeply disappointed with the vitriolic nature of Michelle Wolf's "comedy" routine at the WHCD this weekend. Only the most spiteful partisan could defend such behaviour.

No matter how one feels about the targets of such hateful and personal attacks, we should all aspire to Michelle Obama's beautiful maxim..."when they go low, we go high."

Last edited:
Haha. Yeah.

I think we should outlaw comedy now. It’s not worth the risk of someone’s feelings getting hurt.

yes, how horrible it must be for sarah sanders that someone publicly accused her of lying. surely this slander is going to affect her sterling reputation.

Should we ask the people on Twitter? I’m sure they’re saying there’s a line, or there ought to be.

Well, I assume like me you'd object to racist or sexist jokes.

So we all agree there is, and should be a line...the only dispute is where to draw it. Some people are more comfortable with hate and vitriol than Michelle Obama and I are. That's cool.

Well, I assume like me you'd object to racist or sexist jokes.

So we all agree there should be a line...the only dispute is where to draw it. Some of us are more comfortable with hate and vitriol than Michelle Obama and I are. That's cool.

Can you give me some quotes from that evening that lay out the hate and vitriol that have you so upset?

I’m assuming the racism and sexism will be readily apparent to everyone.

But I didn't say the jokes were racist or sexist.

Oh, I see. You implied that they were.

I guess you were saying that if you object to racism or sexism, you must therefore object to this past weekend’s roast, but not because it was racist or sexist.

Oh, I see. You implied that they were.

I guess you were saying that if you object to racism or sexism, you must therefore object to this past weekend’s roast, but not because it was racist or sexist.

(sigh).

I was saying, as you should have known, that there's always a line, and that if you think, for example, racism and sexism crosses a line, but cruelly mocking someone to their face doesn't, it just means that you place the line differently than others would.

In any event, it is possible, Irvine511, to object to something that was neither racist or sexist.

(sigh).

I was saying, as you should have known, that there's always a line, and that if you think, for example, racism and sexism crosses a line, but cruelly mocking someone to their face doesn't, it just means that you place the line differently than others would.

In any event, it is possible, Irvine511, to object to something that was neither racist or sexist.

I’m waiting for the hate and vitriol, but not the racism and sexism that you implied but then denied were present.

I’ve got a cup of tea ready to steady my nerves.

I’m waiting for the hate and vitriol, but not the racism and sexism that you implied but then denied were present.

I didn't imply, you inferred.

If I thought the routine was racist or sexist, I would have said "the routine was racist and sexist."

I’m waiting for the hate and vitriol

I'm sure you are.

Last edited:
(sigh).

GTFO of here with that nonsense.

This event is a borderline roast. If there's an event where mocking someone to their face is 100% acceptable, this is that event.

Where it's inappropriate is in the actual press room, where Sanders mocks the American people on a daily basis.

We have the President who bullies people on Twitter. Giving them nicknames which aren’t done like W, but to degrade them somehow.

President who stated grab them by the pussy.

President who called African nations shit holes.

Ran with conspiracy theories about our previous President not being American citizen.

Yet the press hired a comedian to come in and roast, then gets more upset that she did her job than any of the daily bullshit that comes out of the press briefings.

That’s the offensive part. That feelings matter more than anything else.

I don’t think there is a line in comedy. It’s subjective. If you don’t like a joke, if it hurts a feeling of yours, it’s not a crime. You have to move on.

Bunch of snowflakes right ?

I didn't imply, you inferred.

If I thought the routine was racist or sexist, I would have said "the routine was racist and sexist."

I'm sure you are.

So, you got nothing. You just wanted a moment to feel superior to “the Left.”

Saying that someone else's vitriol and incivility is an excuse for your (and that's a rhetorical "your") own is a child's argument. I don't judge myself or other people based on the behaviour of Trump and his crew...that's a race to the bottom. Which is pretty much where we're at.

Of course, in the past this event has always featured humour which takes to task the WH and reporters covering it, and that's appropriate. But at the end of the day it's not supposed to be mean spirited. I think one reporter put it well....the humour is supposed to "singe, not burn." There has been some stuff that pushed the boundaries before, but there's a reason that even the press and organisers are distancing themselves from it this time.

And I don't buy the straw man "this is what comedy is supposed to do, etc." That's not the purpose of this event. If the whole thing is just to viciously insult people, they should just call it off. In fact they should get rid of it anyway. What's the point if it's just going to be another excuse to engage in partisan bashing. And the DC press corps and the politicians they cover are too close anyway.

I didn't find any of the routine offensive, I just thought she sounded mean (especially to Huckabee-Sanders) at points, and unnecessarily so. Some people are comfortable with that, and whatever, that's fine. I'm sure everyone who thinks Trump is Hitler and his press secretary is Goebbels, cackled, squealed and giggled to their heart's delight through the whole thing.

But that's not the shape of my heart.

Saying that someone else's vitriol and incivility is an excuse for your (and that's a rhetorical "your") own is a child's argument. I don't judge myself or other people based on the behaviour of Trump and his crew...that's a race to the bottom. Which is pretty much where we're at.

Of course, in the past this event has always featured humour which takes to task the WH and reporters covering it, and that's appropriate. But at the end of the day it's not supposed to be mean spirited. I think one reporter put it well....the humour is supposed to "singe, not burn." There has been some stuff that pushed the boundaries before, but there's a reason that even the press and organisers are distancing themselves from it this time.

And I don't buy the straw man "this is what comedy is supposed to do, etc." That's not the purpose of this event. If the whole thing is just to viciously insult people, they should just call it off. In fact they should get rid of it anyway. What's the point if it's just going to be another excuse to engage in partisan bashing. And the DC press corps and the politicians they cover are too close anyway.

I didn't find any of the routine offensive, I just thought she sounded mean (especially to Huckabee-Sanders) at points, and unnecessarily so. Some people are comfortable with that, and whatever, that's fine. I'm sure everyone who thinks Trump is Hitler and his press secretary is Goebbels, cackled, squealed and giggled to their heart's delight through the whole thing.

let me guess - it's a rhombus.

Come on man, this absolutely implies that the subject at hand (Wolf's routine) included racist & sexist jokes.

Again, I didn't mean to imply that. I was using that as an example that everyone has a line when it comes to humour...i.e. there IS a line. I was mainly referring to something Beal said earlier...

I don’t think there is a line in comedy. It’s subjective. If you don’t like a joke, if it hurts a feeling of yours, it’s not a crime. You have to move on.

My point is, of course there's a line. For me, it's being unnecessarily cruel to someone like that, to their face.

Others have more tolerance for that, and that's fine. Just saying how I feel about it.

let me guess - it's a rhombus.

It's a lemniscate.

Agreed. Thanks for being a reasonable voice among the partisan zealots on this site. We all know that if the tables were turned and a hypothetical President Clinton had been so attacked, most in this forum would be rabidly defending her and calling the personal attacks as sexist, demand apologies and organizing boycotts of the comedians sponsors. Wolf has rightly been admonished by many on the right and the left.

Agreed. Thanks for being a reasonable voice among the partisan zealots on this site. We all know that if the tables were turned and a hypothetical President Clinton had been so attacked, most in this forum would be rabidly defending her and calling the personal attacks as sexist, demand apologies and organizing boycotts of the comedians sponsors. Wolf has rightly been admonished by many on the right and the left.

Just so we're all on the same page here, the non hypothetical President Clinton was mocked on stage by Don Imus at this very same event.

No. We don’t know that at all. In fact, Trump spews racist and sexist content on a weekly basis, has done so for years, and all anyone who doesn’t have a D by their name does is defend and excuse him. His Twitter feed is more offensive than anything that was said last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom