US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially now.

The Republicans have hitched their wagons to Trump, they're all in. You cannot negotiate with these people. They are God Emperor over country, full of hate and without any semblance of rationality or fact.

I've said it all along - much better to focus on the millions who don't typically vote and bring them into the fold than waste time on deplorables.

TOtally! Trump could impose something much like what happened in Argentina during the late 70’s and early 80’s and what happened in Chile with all the disappeared and it could be family members of trump supporters who disappear and still his base would find a way to say that he is doing the right thing! They are too far gone to waste any time on them. But trumps base is relatively small as compared to those who don’t agree with him. The problem is that it seems trumps base are the most motivated to go out and vote. People need to work on those who don’t agree with trump to go and vote. Perhaps in light of all that is happening, there will be a lot more motivation to vote in November. And I believe these people far outnumber the trump base. Work has to be done though to motivate them to vote.

Last edited:
I actually feel like we could see a good turnout this November in terms of voters. I think there's enough motivation out there and enough people fed up with Trump and the GOP's shit to try and make some change.

My big concern about November is whether or not outside forces will try and mess with the outcome again to favor Trump and the GOP. All the motivated Democrats, independents, and Republicans who are equally as horrified at what their party is doing as the rest of us are coming out to vote may not matter if somebody can just come along and screw with the results in the end anyway. We need to discuss that potential issue as part of our "get out and vote" strategy, too, and try and figure out ways for how to avoid or deal with it.

That's fucking bullshit. The Republicans are wrong on every single policy position they have, and are by and large electing evil people at nearly every level of government. The center has moved much too far to the right.

A true left wing party and a Democratic Party (as currently constructed) that constitutes the right wing is the only moral way to move forward. The GOP is evil and has nothing to offer. Compromising with them in 2018 is compromising your morals. They are immoral, period.

This isn't radical to say. The US is the most right wing developed nation. It's insane what we have convinced ourselves is normal.

Okie dokie :up:

There's video going around Facebook of a FOX News clip where a panelist tells Corey Lewandowski about a 10 year old girl with Downs' Syndrome was taken from her mother.

Lewandowski replies by saying, "womp, womp".

I want to punch walls now.

Awesome, thanks for the link. Checking out that website, it looks like the closest event of that sort for me at the moment is up in Minnesota, unfortunately. But I'll keep an eye out and see if there's anything closer, or if there's anything we can do to organize something right here in my town.

Pardon me for being the thread's reporter (then again, I used to be a journalist in a past life)

But in case some of you are wondering about the toddlers and infants, they have their own shelter. Isn't that disgusting? https://apnews.com/dc0c9a5134d14862ba7c7ad9a811160e

Here's a clip of Rachel Maddow tearing up on live TV about it: https://www.facebook.com/shaunking/videos/1852130778159165/

OK, fine, they are illegal. But why separate families? Why can't you at least keep the families together? Why can't the children be given to relatives here in the US? That girl in that audio clip asking to call her aunt? Did she speak to her aunt? Did she see her aunt? Was she allowed to go with her? I guess not!

This is a time that will be remembered when America lost its heart...yet again.

Last edited:
I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would see the day that the USA did this to children. I didn’t think it was even possible. This is heart breaking. I sincerely hope this marks the beginning of the end for this administration. Kids are going to die if they are kept in 106 degree weather in tents in Texas. When will enough be enough? The school shootings are bad enough because the government is not doing enough to protect the children, but this is the damned government that is going to kill these children. Will people of both sides of the isle FINALY say enough is enough if children start to die in camps? Or will they continue to blame each other and let this shit horror show go on??

Last edited:
Will people of both sides of the isle FINALY say enough is enough if children start to die in camps? Or will they continue to blame each other and let this shit horror show go on??

Sadly, I think it is the latter. God Bless America :|

Sadly, I think it is the latter. God Bless America :|

Sadly I think you are correct. But if children start to die due to the conditions they are put under, this is almost bordering on the same type of war crimes the USA and other nationns have faught so hard in the past to stop or prevent in other countries. If children die because of this something has to give. It has to be the end of this administration.

It's time for everyone in America with a soul to take a knee.

they're testing the bounds to see how much they can get away with - this has to stop, there has to be civil disobedience, massive protests, etc

or you will all be fucked

it's quite scary to see

Last edited:
Phils, let's say Open Borders the way you see it becomes politically feasible.

What are the two biggest issues in the transition to open borders, and how are they fixed?
Systemic racism and the lack of a social safety net. The latter is fixed the same way it's fixed now. The former is not fixed in any simple, easy way, but a great start would be significant reform of the criminal justice system. Abolishing ICE, demilitarizing the police force, and ceasing foreign intervention are great starting points.

The GOP is evil and has nothing to offer. Compromising with them in 2018 is compromising your morals. They are immoral, period.

i've argued against this in the past - but i can't anymore.

i believe that there are fragments of what was once the republican party left that are good and moral people, and i think an eventual split of the traditional democratic party into two - left leaning and centrist - may be the way to go. and i absolutely hold strong that compromise is a good thing and something that is desperately needed in our nation's politics.

but you can not compromise with wrong.

the GOP has sold their soul. they know this man and his policies are a moral abomination; they know they have the power to end this madness, and they do nothing. they are complicit in every way to what's going on in this country. the party of lincoln is now a party of blatant racism and evil.

this isn't "blah blah blah echo chamber blah blah blah". this is reality.

stand up to this man who's destroying whatever shred of respectability the party had left, and our nation's moral compass at the same time, or own your place on the wrong side of history forever.

Politics is the practice of who gets what, compromise isn't really part of that unless you think of it as sport. Which many people do, but that ignores the reality.

Now, that's not to say politics is inherently selfish. Again, that's only if you think of it as sport and think saying compromise is bad is akin to saying "I want to win everything and you to lose everything." I only want the other side to lose all elections. I still want them all to have free healthcare and a living wage. The difference is that they don't.

So DHS Secretary Nielsen decides eating at a Mexican restaurant in Washington might be a good idea after that train wreck of a press conference.

A.Mexican.restaurant. MEXICAN.

Did she expect no one to notice her there? Thankfully she was noticed and heckled out of the restaurant.

[tweet]1009091125460766720[/tweet]

Good reminder that the only voter fraud occurring in America is the GOP's widespread efforts to restrict voting by population groups they don't do well with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom