US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good legal system is a fairly important part of a good democracy...

I do get your point, and of course agree that anyone disgusted with this administration needs to make change at the ballot box and not just hope for Bob Mueller to walk everyone out of the oval in chains.
This is correct, there are certain things that must be done through the courts, but we know from how short the 14th Amendment has fallen in creating equality how much has to be done elsewhere. There needs to be a change in Congress, and there needs to be a change in culture.

why won't a good guy with a bomb stop this bad guy with bombs?

it *is* Texas. every white Christian hetero male down there is Chuck fucking Norris.

So let's play a hypothetical:

What happens, where do we go IF;

We find out that the Trump Campaign colluded with the Russians to not only hack voter information, but actually ALTER VOTES in the swing states?

Last year we found out that Russia meddled in our election, but were told our systems were safe. Then we find out early 2018 that Russia did indeed hack into our systems, and our voter registration rolls. We were told that doesn't appear to be anything else.

What if there is that something else?

*takes off tin foil hat*

I could go the other route. What if Mueller finds nothing? Just some poor judgement from Trump aides, and more of a manipulation by Russia with the administration. How much damage will a not under investigation Trump Administration do in four years, or possibly eight?

I feel like we're screwed either direction we go haha

So let's play a hypothetical:

What happens, where do we go IF;

We find out that the Trump Campaign colluded with the Russians to not only hack voter information, but actually ALTER VOTES in the swing states?

Last year we found out that Russia meddled in our election, but were told our systems were safe. Then we find out early 2018 that Russia did indeed hack into our systems, and our voter registration rolls. We were told that doesn't appear to be anything else.

What if there is that something else?

*takes off tin foil hat*

I could go the other route. What if Mueller finds nothing? Just some poor judgement from Trump aides, and more of a manipulation by Russia with the administration. How much damage will a not under investigation Trump Administration do in four years, or possibly eight?

I feel like we're screwed either direction we go haha

Hypothetical #1 is so far out there that I'm not ready to even respond to it.

I think hypothetical #2 is a distinct possibility, with a caveat. I think it's likely that Mueller finds that the president himself was not working directly with the Russians on the election, but that the campaign was so dysfunctional that they allowed hangers on who were involved to join, and also didn't do anything to stop or call attention to the Russian attack even though it was obvious it was going on.

I also think he'll find that Trump obstructed justice, not to cover his own involvement per se, but because a) his ego would not allow him to admit that Russia played a huge role in his election, b) that any investigation into Russian attacks on our election will likely reveal other improprieties that Trump Org were active participants in, your fraud and money laundering and such, and c) has naivety and sheer unqualification for the job made him think that he could actually do these things because he was president, and this is how he made things to away in his businesses.

it *is* Texas. every white Christian hetero male down there is Chuck fucking Norris.

Isn't the definition of "xenophobia" discrimination against an entire group of people?

I wonder how long this post would go unreported if you traded the word Christian with Muslim.

Disgraceful

Isn't the definition of "xenophobia" discrimination against an entire group of people?

I wonder how long this post would go unreported if you traded the word Christian with Muslim.

Disgraceful

It’s not my fault the present day GOP has conflated Christianity with guns and right wing politics.

But be fair — I am totally “xenophobic” against whites and straights of Texas as well.

Last edited:

Disgraceful

Xenophobia has to do with people from other countries, by people from other religions. What you're describing is more of just a general prejudice.

Either way I don't imagine Irvine to be a religious fellow (maybe he is, though).

I doubt he stands up for Muslim people because he agrees with their religion. He stands up for them because they're a minority. Christians are not, and do not face any form of "xenophobia" or any prejudice otherwise.

I'd equate being Christian to being white. You're then the status quo of society.

One was 2 miles from my place of work in Austin, this mornings’ less than a mile from my house.

Our building isn’t allowing any packages without return addresses to be delivered. There’s a big march planned for this weekend in Austin, it will be interesting to see how they proceed.

Disgraceful
The definition of xenophobia is an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

So unless Texas declares Independence (I won't shed a tear), then no; this is not the definition of xenophobia.

Your post, on the other hand, is horse shit.

I doubt he stands up for Muslim people because he agrees with their religion. He stands up for them because they're a minority. Christians are not, and do not face any form of "xenophobia" or any prejudice otherwise.

Muslims are a majority in many parts of the world, and Christians are a (persecuted) minority in many parts of the world.

And, of course, it's absurd to suggest Christians don't face prejudice. I'm frankly stunned you'd even write such abject nonsense.

I've never quite figured out why so many on the left (including atheists) are so quick so condemn Christians and defend Muslims.

Well, actually I have figured it out, and it's not pretty.

Muslims are a majority in many parts of the world, and Christians are a (persecuted) minority in many parts of the world.

I've never quite figured out why so many on the left (including atheists) are so quick so condemn Christians and defend Muslims.

Well, actually I have figured it out, and it's not pretty.

In the context of this forum, it's the white western world.

Try again.

One was 2 miles from my place of work in Austin, this mornings’ less than a mile from my house.

Our building isn’t allowing any packages without return addresses to be delivered. There’s a big march planned for this weekend in Austin, it will be interesting to see how they proceed.

I'm in Austin too. It should be sad no matter where it happens, but it's definitely sad having it so close to home. And I was definitely a little jumpier than usual walking around downtown last night.

No, I'm saying your'e wrong when you suggest Christians aren't persecuted and wrong when you equate Christian with being white.

Wow you're dense. Let me reiterate:

We are talking about the people on this forum.

We are talking about white people in the white English speaking western world.

If people here criticize Christianity more than they do the Muslim faith, it's mainly because a lot of us have far more exposure to, and are significantly more likely to be affected by, Christianity and the issues related with that faith in our daily lives than we are Islam. And I don't know about other people's levels of expertise here, but I honestly don't know nearly enough about Islam to make a lot of informed critiques on it anyway. And I think that's likely the case for many people in the U.S. in general. I'm guessing if many of us lived in an area where Islam was the dominant religion, any critiques would probably focus heavily on that religion instead.

I also think the main reason a lot of people on the left are more wary of going after Muslims much has less to do with anything relating to their particular religious beliefs and more to do with the obvious fact that they've already been shit on and harassed enough post-9/11 by the government and other ignorant people out there, and so those on the left figure it'd be nice to remind people that you (general "you") really don't need to fear the vast majority of them.

But regardless of the religion involved, if any of the participants use their religious beliefs as an excuse to treat people like second-class citizens and strip them of their rights and commit other types of horrible human rights violations and such, I'll call it out and support efforts to fight and stop that behavior, no matter what. Otherwise, I'm cool with people following whatever religion they want, or none at all, if they so wish.

I've also yet to come across any atheists who are less critical of Islam than Christianity-all the atheists I've encountered have been vocally critical of both religions about equally.

Last edited:
The definition of xenophobia is an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

This really isn't entirely accurate (or at best, incomplete). If you dig down to the root of the word ("xeno" = foreign, or strange; "phobic" =fear), it really it refers to an irrational dislike or fear of people from other cultures, or who are different or foreign from you. You can certainly be xenophobic towards people from other countries, but by no means is it limited to that.

Xenophobia is the irrational fear and distrust of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange. Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity.

xenophobia
noun
fear or hatred of foreigners, people from different cultures, or strangers:

fear or dislike of the customs, dress, etc., of people who are culturally different from oneself:

It's entirely possible, for example, for someone from the Northern part of the US to be xenophobic towards people from the South. Someone in Seattle might feel perfectly comfortable with white people in Vancouver, but xenophobic towards a Somali community in New York. China, internally, actually has a pretty big xenophobia problem among the provinces. There are similar examples of xenophobia wishing countries in Africa and South America.

Hypothetical #1 is so far out there that I'm not ready to even respond to it.

I think hypothetical #2 is a distinct possibility, with a caveat. I think it's likely that Mueller finds that the president himself was not working directly with the Russians on the election, but that the campaign was so dysfunctional that they allowed hangers on who were involved to join, and also didn't do anything to stop or call attention to the Russian attack even though it was obvious it was going on.

I also think he'll find that Trump obstructed justice, not to cover his own involvement per se, but because a) his ego would not allow him to admit that Russia played a huge role in his election, b) that any investigation into Russian attacks on our election will likely reveal other improprieties that Trump Org were active participants in, your fraud and money laundering and such, and c) has naivety and sheer unqualification for the job made him think that he could actually do these things because he was president, and this is how he made things to away in his businesses.

Now most of this I more or less agree with.

Last edited:
It's evident you have no idea what's going on.

Apparently not. I assumed we weren't only talking about the races and religions of people in this forum.

Xenophobia has to do with people from other countries, by people from other religions.

No and...no. You can be xenophobic towards people from your own country, and xenophobia doesn't have to involve religion at all. It's about culture.

It's evident you have no idea what's going on.

You were saying?

Last edited:
You were saying?

I'm really glad I'm not you. You're oblivious to how awfully embarrassing you are to yourself. You think you're some master interpreter - as per usual, just another example of you telling people what they've said, like you've figured it all out!

How about we play a game? You keep guessing and I'll tell you when you've got it right.

just another example of you telling people what they've said, like you've figured it all out!

I didn't tell you what you said. or interpret anything. I quoted you.

Sorry. :(

Nick is now being contrarian guy against the Oxford fucking dictionary.

His act has officially jumped the shark.

Mate, you took your definition of xenophobia straight from the first definition in the first hit from Google. So give me a break.

Look at the links I gave you. If you want to know what the word means, and understand it, you actually have to do a little digging.

Last edited:
I didn't tell you what you said. or interpret anything. I quoted you.

Sorry. :(

Look dude, I have no clue if you're actually considerate of other people having this same feeling towards you, or you just enjoy arguing with people.

Learn to revisit your posts. You're not "quoting" me. Your unnecessary rebuttals that take to the offensive are indeed assuming an interpretation. An interpretation that is yours alone. And by doing so, you're attempting to discredit me by showing off your own argument that's lost and confused to an actual logical space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom