US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm beginning to think this administration is not entirely stable.

nqbegsz3xck01.jpg

this is about a week out of date now, but after cohn's departure that makes it a 43% turnover rate in 13 months.

i'm so sick of all this winning.

Well, looks like Trump is tampering with the witnesses now.

He’s been doing this ever since the investigation started. Unreal.

How much longer does he let Mueller go? Does it take indictments against Jared and Ivanka?

Or does he truly believe he can beat this ?

Let's imagine Trump is impeached and removed from office during this term. Is it constitutionally possible he could run for president again?

Let's imagine Trump is impeached and removed from office during this term. Is it constitutionally possible he could run for president again?

There's nothing in the Constitution specifically barring someone who has been impeached and removed from office from running for President, nor someone who is a convicted felon.

That said, if the Senate did vote to remove someone from office after impeachment, they could (and certainly would) also bar that person from holding Federal office again, precluding a future run.

Last edited:
Well, looks like Trump is tampering with the witnesses now.

Simply asking questions about someone's testimony after the fact doesn't rise to the level of tampering. Though it's obviously unwise to do so, and I'm sure his lawyers have cautioned him against it.

These conversations, depending on what was said, could possibly be used as evidence of a pattern of obstruction, however.

I don't see how obstruction is a "slam dunk." Especially when accused is the President of the United States. It would actually be a very, very difficult case to make and is pretty far from a "slam dunk." Especially without an underlying crime.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "corruption."

In any event, these will be political questions in an impeachment proceeding. It's extremely unlikely Trump would be indicted while in office.

Well to nick's point, obstruction isn't a crime that is why he's (likely) being investigated for obstruction. If the investigation finds Trump guilty of obstruction but finds "no collision" then he just looks like a dumbass and Sam Nunberg looks like a genius. But there is no swing of moderate-right America toward vilifying Trump as a treasonous president, and therefore likely no removal from office.

But I also think Irvine just meant it's a slam dunk like "it's definitely going to happen."

I don't see how obstruction is a "slam dunk." Especially when accused is the President of the United States. It would actually be a very, very difficult case to make and is pretty far from a "slam dunk." Especially without an underlying crime.

Trump told us that he fired Comey because of "this Russia thing." and that's just the start.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "corruption."

Jared and the Qataris. also, just to start. grifters gonna grift.

also, how appropriate that Stormy Daniels' alias in the lawsuit is Peggy Peterson -- or, PP. :giggle:

Last edited:
Trump told us that he fired Comey because of "this Russia thing." and that's just the start.

Yeah but that's not "slam dunk" obstruction of justice. If Trump thought Comey pursuing the Russia investigation was a waste of time and money, he could fire him for it. If he just thought the Russia investigation shouldn't be one of the FBI's priorities, he could fire Comey over it.

His broad constitutional powers are one reason why proving obstruction against the President of the United States is such a difficult proposition...you have to prove he acted with corrupt intent. And that's why Mueller would probably have to demonstrate an underlying crime that Trump was trying to cover up in obstructing the investigation.

As for Kushner and Qatar, so little is known about what actually happened there that I don't feel qualified to say that it constitutes "criminal corruption."

Last edited:
no, i meant it in the most literal terms possible. that Mueller is actually going to slam dunk an orange basketball labeled "OBSTRUCTION" on television.

I know you're kidding, but from what I've seen online, I think many in the Resistance are expecting something this dramatic...e.g. Trump being indicted and led out of the oval office in chains, or at a minimum Robert Mueller on TV reading some document spelling out Trump's collusion with Russia.

Neither of which is ever, ever going to happen...they really can't happen given how the Special Counsel is set up. And that's even taking into account all the random stupid stuff Trump can do to shoot himself in the foot.

What I — not this strawman “Resistance” Online presence — have been told (because I do live in DC and do have friends on the Hill) and do believe is that there is ample and growing evidence of at a minimum corruption and obstruction, and evidence of actual “collusion” appears to grow by the day, as does the scope and scale of said corruption (which we can take to mean “using the US government to personally enrich oneself, or at least save the building we bought in 2007 that was underwater after the financial crisis”).

No one knows what will actually happen, because we haven’t actually been here before. No one I know thinks that Trump will do a perp walk, and most people think that what happens in November will largely determine impreachment or not.

Maybe, we’ll see.

However, the scope widens by the day, and I don’t think anyone anticipated it would be quite like *this*.

2020 it is.

Mueller's gonna walk into the fuckin' Oval Office and give Trump a massive noogie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom